New keychain flash light recommendations needed

Posted by: Cauldronborn2

New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/04/11 07:07 PM

Hi guys

My current keychain flash light, a streamlight key mate has just stopped working and I'm in the market for a new one.

I've taken a look around and the fenix E01 would seem to be what I'm looking for but I thought I would ask the brain trust here first before buying just in case I missed a good alternative.

I also looked at the the Countycomm maratac AAA light but as I live in the UK shipping would be an issue, I've kept an eye on ebay but no luck so far.

I'm pretty open to ideas thought I would like it to:

1) Run on AA or AAA batterys

2) Have a twisty on/off switch, NOT clicky

3) Runtime over lumens, this flash light would be used mainly to look under desks, behind cuboards ect, so 10 or so lumens would be plenty of light for my needs

4) Less functions the beter, on and off is all I realy want.

5) Cost, I would guess I'm looking in the $20 - $30 range top end, though I would be prepared to pay more for a good quality light.

Many thanks in advance for your time and I hope that this thread will generate some good responses & information other people can make use of themselves.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/04/11 07:11 PM

The Fexis EO1 would be an excellent choice. Another option, also fairly cheap, would be the Gerber Ultimate Infinity. It takes a AA battery and puts out a fairly low powered beam, may be 30 lumens (I am not positive), so it has a really long runtime, especially with lithium batteries. I have several versions and I have been quite satisfied with them all.
Posted by: Arney

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/04/11 07:32 PM

The NiteCore T0 AAA fits your requirements nicely.

The Nitecore EZ AA is also a fine flashlight but a bit above your price range (maybe $50). It's a twisty two-stage (6 and 160 lumens). Crank up the lumens for brief periods to do things, like search under your desk for that dropped pen, but you still have super long runtime at the 6 lumen setting plus the higher capacity of the AA battery over a AAA one.

I recommended it just the other day, so I'll just say that the E05 is also a very useful light that I now EDC. Just in my own experience, an E01's output is often not quite enough and I wish I had more light, such as when you need to look for something. That's where the higher output of the E05 makes it more useful to me than my prior EDC, the E01. Of course, it loses in the runtime department to the E01.
Posted by: Russ

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/04/11 07:35 PM

Go with the Fenix E01.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/04/11 08:51 PM

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=234996
Posted by: MDinana

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 12:51 AM

the EO1 has a good reputation. As does the Maratac AAA, or alternately, there's a similar model by the same manufacturer. (forget the name, go to Candlepowerforums and look around) problem w/ the Maratac is the keychain attachment is junk, and looks like it'll fail in about 30 seconds.
Posted by: LED

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 01:07 AM

The ITP A3 EOS is very popular with people over on CPF. Very similar to the Maratac.

I don't really care for a 3 mode keychain light so I use a Fenix E05. Its okay, runtime is a little short though.
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 02:27 AM

DR-designed eGear Pico. 10 lumens, 15 hours, single-mode, tiny, twisty, it has everything you ask for except expense: available for $10 locally. I have several attached to all different kinds of gear as a failsafe light source.

My favorite is still the Maratac AAA from Countycomm. I use a fishing swivel to work-around the funky keyring attachment clip, no problems or wear in over 2 years. The ITP A3 EOS Upgrade is the same light with a better keyring attachment, though you can't tail-stand the ITP.
Posted by: haertig

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 02:44 AM

I'd say any 1xAAA light that is a clone of the no-longer-made Arc-AAA. The Fenix E01 is one such clone, and a nice light for a cheap price. Many Arc-AAA's tended to develop flicker over time (and not just from dirty contact surfaces). I don't know how the E01 lasts over time. I used a Gerber Tempo 1xAAA on my keychain for quite a while (because I got it on sale for $5). It does not feel like it has the build quality of one of the Arc clones, but the Gerber has never failed and never flickered. A solid performer despite its thinner metal feel.

I see someone else mentioned the Gerber Infinity. I have an Infinity Ultra from back when CMG made them, before Geber bought them out and changed the light somewhat. That's a fantastic low-output long-lasting light that has never failed. But a 1xAA light is too big for a keychain light IMHO. You really need 1xAAA. I don't like the watch battery type keychain lights either. The batteries are too expensive and don't last all that long.

I no longer carry a keychain light. I carry a 4Sevens Quark 1xAA with a 14500 rechargeable lithium ion battery in its small pouch on my belt. Much more versatile (and much more expensive!) than a Fenix E01 if you're willing to give up keychain carry and go for belt carry instead.

For your stated needs, I vote for the Fenix E01.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 07:17 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, now to throw the cat among the pigeons.

I had a look around on the net and it seems that Peter Gransee the founder and designer of the Arc lights set up another company in 2004 making the same lights, the website they have up seems to show that they are still in business.

I know this should probably be taken with a pinch of salt but it might be worth taking a closer look.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn2
I had a look around on the net and it seems that Peter Gransee the founder and designer of the Arc lights set up another company in 2004 making the same lights, the website they have up seems to show that they are still in business.

i purchased my arc aaa in '05 or '06. it's always in my pocket. use it daily. all i've had to do is change the battery. i saw a series of photos showing a car running over one once - takes a lickin' and keeps on shinin'. sold me.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 03:16 PM

just checking the time stamp.
Posted by: KenK

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 03:57 PM

I've carried an Arc AAA light in a pocket with gobs of keys every day for many many years. It looks as good today as it did when I bought it - AMAZING. The only extra protection it has is I bought one of those plastic caps that go over the end of tubing and had to sand it down a bit to fit snugly over the LED end of the Arc. It stays on with no problem and removes any potential of LED damage.

Another light that I think is amazing, but consider it a tad too thick for pocket carry, is a Fenix single CR123A light - I don't think they make this specific model anymore. My wife carries one on her barn keychain, which has been tossed about in a pretty abusive way for years, and its still going amazingly strong - though it is pretty scratched up.

BTW, Arc's web site is http://www.arcflashlight.com
Posted by: Denis

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 04:09 PM

I'll throw in another vote for the Fenix E01.

I like that its AAA so spares are common and usually on-hand (for my lights, I run all AAAs too). Its also pretty bullet proof and has lasted for over 2 years on my keyring so far.

For wilderness use, I've started moving it from my keyring to a neck lanyard and it works well in that capacity too.
Posted by: Eric

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/05/11 04:13 PM

I have carried a PeakLED Matterhorn around for several years now. It has been dropped in water, run through the washer (and dryer), dropped, stepped on etc. so it is a tough little light. The Matterhorn uses a single AAA battery and I have the 3 LED which is a bit brighter than the single LED version. Overall very similar to the original Arc, though I think Peak gives you some LED options (color etc.).

- Eric
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/06/11 09:55 PM

(my photo)

the new runtime king for 1xAAA is the ThruNite Ti.

it just kicked the 82-hr-runtime Revo out of first place, because the ThruNite Ti has been tested at 125 hours on low (and it also does 60 lumens with a simple twist).

low beam is just enough for roaming around a very dark house, use on a moonless wilderness night, caving or during black-outs.

i bought two at $16 each and couldn't be happier.

HERE is a review i did on it over at CPF.

having owned hundreds and hundreds of 1xAAA 'lights, ranging from $1 to $250 (including a dozen of the above mentioned Fenix E01 and a few dozen Arc AAA), i'd call this new one a best-buy. while the E01 is still a great standard of comparison and is rated for 11 hours runtime (and can do much more), the beam tint is just plain awful (purple-green). and the quality of the current run of Arcs isn't what the old ones were.

seller seems like a good one too: Illumination Supply's sale page for the ThruNite Ti

and new models with different levels, and in different body colors, will be coming out shortly.

===

ThruNite Ti light are designed for Key chain application. It is the first AAA light with super-low Firefly mode (0.04lumens)

Features:
• Uses Cree XP-E R4 LED with a lifespan of 50000 hours
• Uses one 0.9-1.5V AAA (Ni-MH, Alkaline) battery
• 7.2cm (Length) x 1.4cm (Diameter)
• 20-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• OP reflector
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Reliable twist switch. Tighten for super-low Firefly mode (0.04 lumens), tighten further for max Output (60 lumens)

===

Cauldronborn2: that said, the super low level might be too-low for you, so an E05 or E01 might fill your needs best.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/06/11 11:42 PM

LOL, 0.04 lumens, wow, that's low. But I can see its uses. Sometimes even the 0.3 lumen low setting of something like my Novatac seems too bright when your eyes are dark adapted.

Personally, I think 60 lumens is a bit too much output for a keychain light. To me, a keychain light is primarily meant for close range, arm's length usage, and 60 lumens seems like it would be a lot of glare in many situations, and certainly way too much for situations where you'd like to be somewhat unobtrusive (reading a menu at a restaurant, looking for something you dropped at the movie theater, etc.)

Still, for that price, I think I may need to get me one!

And you're right, wileycoyote, the tint of the E01 can be pretty disappointing if you're unlucky, which is another reason why I prefer the E05 over the E01, besides the output and flood optic.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/06/11 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney
LOL, 0.04 lumens, wow, that's low. But I can see its uses. Sometimes even the 0.3 lumen low setting of something like my Novatac seems too bright when your eyes are dark adapted.

Personally, I think 60 lumens is a bit too much output for a keychain light. To me, a keychain light is primarily meant for close range, arm's length usage, and 60 lumens seems like it would be a lot of glare in many situations, and certainly way too much for situations where you'd like to be somewhat unobtrusive (reading a menu at a restaurant, looking for something you dropped at the movie theater, etc.)

Still, for that price, I think I may need to get me one!

And you're right, wileycoyote, the tint of the E01 can be pretty disappointing if you're unlucky, which is another reason why I prefer the E05 over the E01, besides the output and flood optic.

i couldn't agree more Arney! well said.

for years i have been very happy with simple single-stage 10 or 30 lumens lights, but have been amazed at the Ti's utility of having both super-run-time for extreme dark, and having a burned to blinding things at a distance.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/07/11 12:04 AM

Speaking of small flood lights, check out the 1xAA Zebralight I have one and the beam is very smooth with no discernible hotspot, just a nice even light over a broad area -- good choice for close up IMO.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/07/11 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote

Looks very impressive. Thanks for the heads-up, I've ordered a couple.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/07/11 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Looks very impressive. Thanks for the heads-up, I've ordered a couple.

chaosmagnet: i look forward to hearing your comments too. just because i like 'em and they fit my needs doesn't mean they're right for everyone. hope you'll post your thoughts here after you've had a chance to try them. (ps - it shouldn't be long either, because seller ships via Priority so i had them two days later)

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/07/11 03:18 PM

chaosmagnet: i look forward to hearing your comments too. just because i like 'em and they fit my needs doesn't mean they're right for everyone. hope you'll post your thoughts here after you've had a chance to try them. (ps - it shouldn't be long either, because seller ships via Priority so i had them two days later)

I don't know whether I'll have time this week, but I certainly am planning to write a review. I'm not Selfbuilt http://www.sliderule.ca/cpf.htm and I don't try to be, my reviews are in no small part subjective to my tastes.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/07/11 06:57 PM

....I'm not Selfbuilt...

ha! who is? his reviews are always stunning. best of the best.

na, all we can do is add our two-cent.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/07/11 10:57 PM

Eric, how long does your three led matterhorn last on one battery?
Posted by: Eric

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/07/11 11:30 PM

I haven't tried a runtime test on it. Various reviews indicate something like 2 hours to 50% and 10-12 hours to below 25%. In EDC usage I usually end up replacing the battery every 6 months or so, more to be sure I have a "fresh" battery in case something would come up. Back when I got this, it was pretty respectable and it still feels like a pretty good balance of light and runtime for me.

-Eric
Posted by: ironraven

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/07/11 11:32 PM

Let me make another vote for the Fenix e01.

I'm going to be ordering another tonight- my EDC one had a battery rupture in it. Thought I had it cleaned out, but... not looking so good.

Good light, bad battery. Bad Raven, bad, bad- from now on, lithium.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/08/11 01:46 AM

Was it one of the silver & black Rayovacs? I know the e01 is AAA but their AA's didn't have the best reputation with me after several blew before their dates a couple years ago and had what may have been one of their AAA's take out a light this week.
Posted by: bigmbogo

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/08/11 04:13 AM

I have this little Streamlight Microstream:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66318-...422&sr=8-10

It meets all your criteria except it has a pushbutton switch.

It is $16 shipped. It is very bright, simple, and rugged.

I really trust the Streamlight brand, which makes some very high-end tactical lights. I also have a larger Streamlight Strion LED, which also happens to be what the city cops here carry.

I also have the Arc AAA, which according to their site is still made, and is about $30. It is a bit shorter, has a twist switch, but is nowhere near as bright. I had one that I had some trouble with, that they fixed no problem.

David

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/08/11 07:29 PM

The 4Sevens Mini 123 is a nice light in a small package and is great for pocket carry. IMO it's a bit big for a keychain, but I like a small keychain.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/08/11 11:51 PM

I was just thinking, it's really not that long ago when you'd have to fork over a pretty serious wad of cash to get an expensive Surefire brand flashlight that required expensive CR123 batteries which was marketed as "tactical" because anything over 30 lumens was considered "tactical" by them. And here we are talking about a $16 Thrunite keychain light that can do 60 lumens on a common 1xAAA battery. Pretty darn amazing how far we've come with flashlights.
Posted by: ratbert42

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 02:41 AM

It's more than your budget, but I'm still amazed by my Fenix LD01 (AAA, 77 lumens on high). I was at a Cub Scout event a couple weekends ago and we needed to light a stage with flashlights. My little EDC keychain light out-threw almost every other light I saw and it kept running through the whole program.

I originally carried an Arc AAA-P which is about 10 lumens. While it was enough light in most circumstances, I switched to the higher-powered Fenix after I had to go from bright sunlight into an almost completely dark building. The little Arc wasn't enough for me to see anything and I had to stop and wait until my eyes adjusted to the dark. The brighter Fenix doesn't have that problem.

I can still use it on a lower power setting if I want to, but the bright light is available if I need it. I think the default is 28 lumens, one twist takes it to 3 lumens, then a second twist takes it to 77 lumens.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: ratbert42
I can still use it on a lower power setting if I want to, but the bright light is available if I need it.

This is very nearly my General Relativity Theory of Flashlights.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: ratbert42
I can still use it on a lower power setting if I want to, but the bright light is available if I need it.

This is very nearly my General Relativity Theory of Flashlights.
Yep. 90% of the time I use my lights in their lowest setting, but occasionally I need a bit more light so one or two taps on the button and I have more light -- then it's back to low.
Posted by: comms

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 08:49 PM

Lots have been said about it, but I walked by a eGear pico at Dicks Sporting Goods and for $4.97 it just jumped into my cart. Score.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 10:12 PM

smile I've seen some of those keychains -- those are the guys who need to back-up their suspenders with a 2" belt just to keep their pants up wink

I have a similar set-up using a A&P Key Ring from County Comm, but I keep it secured inside my EDC backpack and I hesitate to call it a keyring since there are no keys on it.

That said, if you are inclined to keep a keychain like that, the 4Sevens Mini 123 would be a great addition.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
I have a similar set-up using a A&P Key Ring from County Comm, but I keep it secured inside my EDC backpack and I hesitate to call it a keyring since there are no keys on it.

Here is my theory of keyrings. This works for me. Whatever works for you has my blessing unless you call me because you're locked out.

I do have a CC A&P Key Ring in my BOB, containing a ring of gadgets. I call it my Technology Ring.

Each car has an associated keyring consisting of the car key, the remote control fob, and a house key (I like being able to get out of the car and already have the house key in my hand). My wife has her own key to each of our cars.

There's another keyring that's with me without regard to whether I'm driving or not. It has a Leatherman PS4, a 4Sevens ReVo in a custom leather sheath, a 4Sevens flat titanium whistle, an RFID keyfob for the office, house and office keys. In other words, in addition to a few keys, it also has my backup EDC gear -- I always have a bigger flashlight and knife, and I typically have a larger multitool as well.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 11:14 PM

I recommend Fenix E01 or Fenix E05.

In the original post, are you sure about using an AA flashlight on your key chain?

I consider AA flashlights as being too large to be key chain flashlights. If you're using an AA flashlight on a key chain, then that's not a key chain; that's a tool chain. Also, performance-wise, AA flashlights are capable of throwing light to an extent that puts them in a different conversation than AAA flashlights.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 11:21 PM

Foursevens quark mini AA has been on my key chain for about a year or so. My key chain is otherwise very minimalistic - I hate bogging down my pockets. I don't know any other AA light that would fit my size requirements.

That being said, fenix E01 is indestructable, cheap, slim and offers great runtime for an AAA light. A great combo.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 11:34 PM

After looking through some of the flashlights I would have to agree with you.

When I started this thread I didn't have much of an idea of what was out there and kind of felt out of my depth, so its been a bit of an education for me.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/09/11 11:41 PM

Note the Fenix E05 is smaller, lighter and higher performing (more lumens) than the E01. The E05 is only about $6 more on Amazon. The LD01 outperforms both of these, but is larger and considerably more expensive. However, the LD01 is more than I want to pay for a AAA flashlight. I'd rather just go with a higher performing AA flashlight that's not really for the key chain. (I have the LD10.)

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Note the Fenix E05 is smaller, lighter and higher performing (more lumens) than the E01. The E05 is only about $6 more on Amazon.

Yes, and I've read some very nice things about them. Personally I'd pick a 4sevens preon if I wanted a new AAA light (I don't - the AA light gives almost tripple the runtime for the slight increase in size).

I'm sure anyone with E05 or LD01 on their key chain is happy. But E01 is for anyone that does not really care about lighs and lumens, but requires reliabilty above all else.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 12:22 AM

Compared to just a few years ago, there are quite a few reliable, key chain size lights for a variety of prices, and more seem to be coming to market every day.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 01:18 AM

I'm stumped. Assuming everything else is roughly equal, why is a twist preferable over a button?

I have both. I prefer a button, but maybe there's something I don't know.
Posted by: Blast

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 02:00 AM

I'm stumped. Assuming everything else is roughly equal, why is a twist preferable over a button?

I've had button-types turn on in my pocket without me knowing.
-Blast

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 02:37 AM

It's harder to give yourself a hot pocket, and twisties are more reliable than clickies. Twisties tend to be shorter (and thus easier to carry). Some people prefer twisties because they feel it's easier to operate them.

Personally, I prefer clickies for any purpose other than a keychain.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 02:58 AM

It's harder to give yourself a hot pocket, and twisties are more reliable than clickies. Twisties tend to be shorter (and thus easier to carry). Some people prefer twisties because they feel it's easier to operate them.

Bingo! That's basically my list of reasons, too. The Mini Maglite and Solitaire are also twisties.

However, to be fair, the very common coin cell keychain lights are...well, not exactly clickies, but certainly not twisties, so twisties are not the only reliable game in town. I've had the same Photon II on my keys for over 10 years and the switch has never failed to light up yet. I forget if the Photon II is waterproof, but all that dirt, lint, dead skin cells and sweat hasn't bothered its switch yet.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
...E01 is for anyone that does not really care about lighs and lumens, but requires reliabilty above all else...

And/or runtime, as the OP mentioned. I carry an E05 for the output and beam quality for routine use in various situations and I don't worry about how long the battery lasts. However, if I were mostly concerned about having an emergency light source on my keychain for when I'm unexpectedly plunged into darkness, I think I'd lean towards the E01.

Whenever there's some power outage for whatever reason, I always shake my head whenever I read about people trying to use the screens of their mobile phones as a sort of makeshift flashlight as they stumble around in the dark. It's so easy to have a decent flashlight on you always. Phones make poor flashlights, and that's an incredible waste of battery life for a valuable tool.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 04:31 AM

Phones make poor flashlights, and that's an incredible waste of battery life for a valuable tool. [emphasis added]
A very very good point.

Sigh. Maybe I'll go back to EDC'ing a flashlight on my belt. I've been EDC'ing just a key chain Photon around my neck, but a bright light with a tiny battery can't have much battery life. I get tired of being teased about my "super hero belt" (if I have multiple things on my belt), but then again who will be laughing when there's a power outage and I've got a light?

HJ

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I've been EDC'ing just a key chain Photon around my neck, but a bright light with a tiny battery can't have much battery life.

Actually, depending on how bright you want a light to be, maybe you don't really need to switch. I believe the runtime between your coin cell Photon and a 1xAAA Fenix E01 is going to be roughly similar. The E01 should be brighter, but in true darkness, you don't need much to get by as long as the light is focused enough so you can point it at what you want to see (and why the unfocused light from mobile phone screens are a poor substitute for a flashlight).

The Photon might be less convenient because you have to continually squeeze it (hence the reason why I carry a Photon II with a switch), but conversely, using the Photon intermittently will greatly increase the runtime. With the E01, you're far more likely to turn it on and leave it on continuously, but battery changes are easier and can be done in the dark.

Two coin cell Photons (say, one around your neck and one on your keys) are arguably better preparation and take up the same volume than a single "bigger" light on your belt that you're not that eager to clip on every day because you will probably be far more likely to have the Photons actually on you when you need it. The Photons just won't be able to be as bright as a bigger light can get.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 05:23 AM

I've been EDC'ing just a key chain Photon around my neck, but a bright light with a tiny battery can't have much battery life.

Actually, depending on how bright you want a light to be, maybe you don't really need to switch. I believe the runtime between your coin cell Photon and a 1xAAA Fenix E01 is going to be roughly similar. The E01 should be brighter, but in true darkness, you don't need much to get by as long as the light is focused enough so you can point it at what you want to see (and why the unfocused light from mobile phone screens are a poor substitute for a flashlight).

The Photon might be less convenient because you have to continually squeeze it (hence the reason why I carry a Photon II with a switch), but conversely, using the Photon intermittently will greatly increase the runtime. With the E01, you're far more likely to turn it on and leave it on continuously, but battery changes are easier and can be done in the dark.

Two coin cell Photons (say, one around your neck and one on your keys) are arguably better preparation and take up the same volume than a single "bigger" light on your belt that you're not that eager to clip on every day because you will probably be far more likely to have the Photons actually on you when you need it. The Photons just won't be able to be as bright as a bigger light can get.
Hmm. Interesting points. I've actually got the Photon II (with a switch) by the way.

So a coin cell will last as long as a single AAA light? That's counter intuitive.

HJ

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 05:39 AM

So a coin cell will last as long as a single AAA light? That's counter intuitive

I haven't tested it out myself, but both are advertised to run about 12 hours.

The E01 is brighter and uses up more power than a Photon, so that's one reason.

A common alkaline AAA is bigger than a coin cell, but lithium batteries have a higher energy density than alkaline batteries and coin cells are usually lithium batteries. In addition, two stacked coin cells also results in a higher voltage than 1xAAA (6V vs 1.5V nominal), so less current is sucked from the coin cells to generate the same power at a lower voltage.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 05:51 AM

Is there any Fenix single AAA with a clip, or is there a compatible clip available? I know the 4Sevens Preon has a clip.

I think all small flashlights should have a clip option, even though that increases the price by a dollar or whatever.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 09:58 AM

So a coin cell will last as long as a single AAA light? That's counter intuitive

I haven't tested it out myself, but both are advertised to run about 12 hours.

The E01 is brighter and uses up more power than a Photon, so that's one reason.

A good, but dim coin cell should be able to last for a looooong time.

The E01 will run for about 11 hours with approximately the same output (10'ish lumens) but it will give out a dim and slowly diminishing light (a.k.a. "moonlight mode") for another 10 hours. Which is a great feature when you want lights for emergerncy use.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 11:13 AM

I formerly carried a photon on my keyring, but some years ago I switched to a AAA light; I have found the latter to be far more useful. For one thing, a twisty AAA is far less likely to be accidentally turned on, compared to a photon. I equip the AAA with a lithium battery, thus having a bright stable light for the duration of the battery. A backup battery is always in my EDC. One battery typically lasts about a year in typical service. I have carried both the Peak Matterhorn and, currently, a Fenix LD01 - I prefer the variable light levels of the Fenix.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 01:07 PM

I love my photon IIs. I've wear one around my neck and have one on my keychain. Never had a problem with them turning on my accident (Fauxtons maybe, but never the real thing.)

I've had the one around my nack since I joined ETS, and changed the battery once. In some ways I think I like them better than regular handhelds because it fits nicely between my teeth giving me a handsfree option.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 03:35 PM

Is there any Fenix single AAA with a clip, or is there a compatible clip available? I know the 4Sevens Preon has a clip.

You used to be able to buy a pocket clip for the EO1 and later the LD01 that would fit other models, but it looks like all of them have been discontinued.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/10/11 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast

I've had button-types turn on in my pocket without me knowing.
-Blast

Thats pretty much my thoughts, the key chain attachment points on the flashlights I've seen/tried to date seem be able to jam the button down.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/12/11 02:41 PM

Here are my first impressions on the ThruNite Ti:

Shipping was very quick. The lights were well-packed and arrived in good order. I would definitely buy again from Illumination Supply (note: I was given no consideration for my review, and I have no affiliation with Illumination Supply or ThruNite other than as a customer).

The flashlight came with a manual, two spare o-rings, and a sturdy-looking split ring, perhaps slightly larger than I would have expected for a keychain light.

The flashlight itself has a very high build quality. Anodization is impeccable, and the lettering (including serial number) is razor-sharp. A special note on the knurling, which is generous and well-cut. ThruNite seems to have found the perfect way to cut knurling such as to make the light easy to grip without being rough on your fingers or catching on things in your pocket.

It's easy to operate one-handed. While I haven't had it very long and I don't know how it will stand up to keychain carry, the first impression is that ThruNite paid very close attention to details and quality control.

There is no pocket clip and the light will roll off a table easily. The keyring attachment is sturdy without being bulky, and a flat machined on the end allows the light to tail-stand.

The UI is simple: Twist on for firefly (ultra-low) mode, and twist on tighter for high. It's easy to accidentally skip firefly mode, which if you're working in the dark can lead to ruined night vision before you back off and find the sweet-spot. My rough measurement is that there are about three millimeters worth of firefly mode. Give this light to a non-flashaholic and they're almost sure to think it's a single-mode light.

The mode spacing is less than ideal. Firefly mode is useful only in total darkness and very low-light conditions, where high is good and bright for a 1xAAA flashlight. A low mode in between firefly and high would be really good to have, although that might be tough to do without significant additional expense.

Beam quality is excellent, with a tight hotspot and good spill. No artifacts seen. Tint is a bit green.

Compared to a Fenix E01, it's much brighter on high and runs much longer on low, with a better beam quality and much better tint. The E01's single mode is much more useful (to me, at least) in moderately low-light conditions.

Compared to a 4Sevens Preon ReVO, the ReVO's low mode is more useful and the high mode is noticably higher. The ReVO is thinner and has a better tint too. But the ReVO is almost three times more expensive and discontinued to boot.

Compared to a Titanium Innovations Illuminati, the Illuminati has a useful pocket clip, better tint, better mode spacing and the best beam I've ever seen in a 1xAAA flashlight. But it's nearly as expensive as the ReVO and harder to operate one-handed.

The best comparison is to your particular flashlight needs. If you need a single AAA keyring flashlight with a very low low and an excellent high, the ThruNite Ti can't be beat anywhere near it's price range. I like it a lot.

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/12/11 04:54 PM

bravo! great review. and i agreed with everything you've said.

thnx for taking the time to share chaosmagnet.

after that informative review, i had to include an image i took show the ThruNite's size:

ThruNite Ti, Microstream, E01, iTP, Arc, Mako, Tiny 2

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/12/11 05:08 PM

Thanks for that review, chaosmagnet.

Sounds like a quality product. Just an unusual niche that it fills with those power level choices.
Posted by: CoastalGuy

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/15/11 01:14 AM

Based on your review, I ordered one to try out. Looking forward to testing it out myself grin
Posted by: KenOTBC

Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed - 11/15/11 08:20 PM

I will put a vote in for the Maratac AAA. I have had no problem at all with the keychain attachment, and its in and out of jeans pockets several times everyday. The finish is getting tarnished but it always turns on. I like the bright setting for when you need it, sometimes its useful to throw extra light at something (to see it clearly or to confuse /blind it).

I ordered it from http://www.endtimesreport.com/survival_shop.html#Flashlights they ship internationally and I have been very happy with the service after two orders from them. I will be getting more for the inlaws for Christmas