Hunter's day pack?

Posted by: TeacherRO

Hunter's day pack? - 09/10/11 07:11 PM

What should a hunter take in her pack for a walk in the woods? Assume wilderness and moderate weather.
Posted by: ponder

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/10/11 08:02 PM

That question is too general.

Once you have spent some time with a list that YOU GENERATED, it will be easier to contribute.

Here is a Microsoft Word document that you can use as a form. Down load it, fill it out and it will automatically update the date each time you save it.

Print out a master and take it out on your hunt. After a few trips and a lot of thinking, you will have it covered.

http://www.tincher.to/CHECK-11.DOC
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/10/11 09:13 PM

I didn't open Cliff's response yet, but as a 3gun competitor and not a hunter, I'd start with upgrading your gunshot trauma supplies in your FAK

(2) Israeli bandages or similar compression bandages
Special Forces type self administering tourniquet
Kerlix roll and gauze
hemostatic sponge like Quick Clot
elastic adhering tape like Coban
petroleum gauze to seal chest wound
nasal pharangeal airway
steri strips / crazy glue
betadine
non adherent pads
burn gel
irrigation syringe
good shears like electrician shears not cheap import
dedicated LED light
chem lights attached to a string so can be circled overhead to identify a landing site for helicopter
gloves, and hand sanitizer to protect responder
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/10/11 11:41 PM

It is reasonable to carry trauma supplies, but aside from that, a hunter should basically carry what anyone else would pack on a hike. There obviously will be variations depending upon the specifics of the situation.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/11/11 02:11 AM

A full 2 day supply of food.
Basic Hiking Gear including a pot/metal cup.
Good long distance 2 way radios.
flashlight with spare batteries.
Full psk with signalling devices.
Maybe even a flaregun? It may pose a fire hazard in forest tho.....I dunno about that one...Im sure if the guy in the worm eating thread had a flaregun he would have gotten noticed in the dark.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/11/11 06:41 AM

Frisket, I think Teacher is in Southern Cali. No-go on flare guns. You pop one off, you're liable for the 20,000 acre fire you just started. Granted, it'd get someone's attention, but not still ...

I'd just keep a regular day pack. 10 essentials, some water, a decent FAK and maybe a light sleeping bag or space blanket, depending on terrain and weather.

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/11/11 07:19 AM

Flares are a standard signalling device at sea, where they are reasonably effective if used properly, but on land in most circumstances, they are a really bad idea. A properly maintained fire is more effective, but in dry conditions, even that is a bad choice. A signal mirror is probably your best bet. How about a PLB?
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/11/11 08:26 AM

As it was not mentioned explicitly:
-Navigation equipment (map, compass, pen and optionally a GPSr with spare batteries); I prefer laminated maps and mark positions from time to time e. g. when sitting for a rest
-Krill light for signalling and marking position (lasts longer than a chem light and can be turned off)
-SAM splint

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/11/11 04:08 PM

OK, good ideas. Now a follow-up. How do you get hunters to build and carry such a kit? Even better kit kit from stuff found around the home?

-- I agree on the flare gun, too dicey. Instead a mirror/ whistle/ radio (cellphone) and or strobe flasher would be good.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/11/11 06:36 PM

You could start to build a modular kit for yourself and then show it to the people you want to carry a kit. Ideally the modules should have a size between an Altoids tin and two packs of cigarettes.
Then you could start by making up realistic scenarios and let them solve them. I would start with less serious events like loosing orientation or a sprained ankle.
One reason for not carrying a kit is the prejudice that it it takes too much space and weight. That can be overcome with examples. The modular design allows to use the infamous "Salami tactics" for sneaking in the entire kit.

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/11/11 07:50 PM

It might be worthwhile to discuss modifications to firearms which would facilitate carrying some of the basics - holes in the stock behind the buttplace to carry matches, tinder, compass, and the like, for example. This is one location where the weight is not detrimental - you need heft in order to dampen recoil.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/12/11 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
What should a hunter take in her pack for a walk in the woods? Assume wilderness and moderate weather.

Shelter

clothes for inclement weather (depending on conditions those clothes are either on your body or in your pack)

an additional extra insulating layer of clothing (your sit-down-for-lunch layer)

firemaking kit

knife

some cordage

some means for procuring and cleaning water (If you choose boiling then you also have WARM drinks, which is a huge plus in cold climates).

paper map plus compass (and the skills to use them). If you use a GPS then bring paper map and compass as backup.

Food (not nescessarily 3 day rations - think one more meal than you need for the planned trip plus some snacks.).

Bare-bones minimum 1st aid kit.

Signalling (which may include some or all of the following: PLB, cell phone, whistle, fire, signalling mirror, bright colored clothing/bivy bag)

EDIT: LED light.

I'd also wrap a couple of feet of gorilla tape (or duct tape) around some items. VERY versatile.

Now exactly how heavy you go on each of the above items is highly dependent on climate, season and how rugged and remote everything is.

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/12/11 05:39 PM

The gist of this thread is that a hunter needs to take just about what anyone would take when venturing into the wild. everyone should tailor their load to the circumstances, the terrain, and the weather and make allowances for an inadvertent overnight stay.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/12/11 06:41 PM

I remember a case a few years back of a hunter who had a map and compass, but walked off the map. IIRC, when he finally ran into some four wheelers, he was outside the boundaries of the map he was carrying. Even if you are very comfortable navigating/orienteering with map and compass, a cheap, non mapping, black & white GPS with a tiny display is a very useful tool even if you never use it until after you are lost. "Whoa, I walked off the map -- Doh!!!" Waypoint your truck!!!

Many survival situations start out with simply getting lost. The "hunter" who ate those worms is a recent case in point.

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/12/11 08:21 PM

+1 to a cheap gps. If you waypoint, it will head you straight back.
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/12/11 08:43 PM

It would be nice to know the terrain/environment/general area, a description of the hunter, and what game you are hunting, the month that you are hunting in, and the duration of the hunt in hours, and the type of hunt - tree stand, stalk, duck blind, ground blind, dog driving, etc.

On your follow-up question about how do you get hunter's to carry a backpack - that's easy. You put things in there that they will use whether there is an emergency or not. If your pack only has emergency items, people will tend to stop using it.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/12/11 09:08 PM

Some of these lists make my head hurt.

10 essentials

Navigation Aids
Light source
Food
Water
Clothing and Shelter
Knife and Repair
Sun Protection
Fire Making
First Aid
Communication Aids

---

Hunting specific- not all inclusive

camo clothes
camo face paint
blind material
gun or bow, guard and release
ammo or arrows
binoc's
rangefinder
gun cleaning kit or bow repair parts
knives, saw and sharpening stone
dog stuff
license/tags
blaze orange
shooting hours and other regs
drag cord
tarp or canvas deer or other bags to keep meat in
latex gloves
plastics bags
shooting glasses
hearing protection
calls
snap line chalk in tiny squeeze bottle
grid ribbon
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/12/11 09:25 PM

A hunter should take the same things you and I would take on a day trip. Almost any of the probable 1000's of gear lists in the forum posts over the years here would suit any hunter fine as a base kit. As always though, every kit needs to be refined to take into account; experience level, predicted weather, terrain and environment.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/12/11 09:28 PM

With the addition of add'l trauma items in the FAK from likelihood of gunshot and serious knife cuts from messing up while skinning out game.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/13/11 01:34 AM

Nice list Harmless! I Might go heavier on the FAK. If some goe
wrong when you're trying to kill something, it can go badly wrong.

Maybe some pepper spray too, if you're in bear or big cat county?
Posted by: comms

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/13/11 05:24 AM

Isn't hunting or fishing, just hiking with a additional specific gear? 10 essentials is mandatory. Extra layers or insulation a must for colder and shoulder seasons. proper coloring if required. PLB, PLB, PLB. I'd also add a 2 way walky talky.
Posted by: THIRDPIG

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/14/11 12:07 AM

So much depends on where he's hunting. I hunt farmland in NYS, I can hear the kids playing while waiting for the school bus... The farmers and other locals as well as my family know my stand locations,in fact we sign in and out up at the main farm.

What I carry here is much differant then say when I backpack for elk in Montana. But a hunter will carry well a lot of hunting stuff. Calls,scents, gutting gloves,bino's extra tree steps and a safety harness. One or two lights,headlamps are handy.Some snacks and water,although I often go to town for a turkey club .

My day is spent 20 feet up a tree, my risk is falling not getting lost and spending the night.

In remote areas same as if i was hiking there,fire making stuff,something for shelter.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Hunter's day pack? - 09/14/11 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The gist of this thread is that a hunter needs to take just about what anyone would take when venturing into the wild. everyone should tailor their load to the circumstances, the terrain, and the weather and make allowances for an inadvertent overnight stay.

+1. My daypack is identical whether I'm walking in the forest or hunting. Instead of a hiking stick, I carry a shotgun and ammo.

I always have 2 forms of fire and tinder, emergency shelter (mil poncho, double heatsheet...and the right hat, boots and clothes) signaling (mirror, 160 lumen light and extra batteries, whistle), two forms of safe water procurement and purification, a little food and tea, fish hooks and line, a small wilderness FAK, two knives, cell phone, map, wire, tape, 25" paracord, compass, stainless canteen and sierra cup, bandanas, small binoculars, Leatherman. Except for the clothing and Leatherman, it all fits in my Kelty Oriole.

I also have a separate beltloop paracord clip with fire striker, mini light, compass, SAK Classic, Fox whistle.