Using that Tin Foil in your PSK

Posted by: kristina27

Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/09/11 07:43 PM

Hey guys just wanted to share a pretty cool video (at least in my book) on 2 different methods to use your tin foil to boil water in. It helped me get some perspective on how to use it.

Boiling Water with Tin Foil, via Equip2Endure BlogTV
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/09/11 08:50 PM

Outstanding link, thanks!
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/09/11 10:41 PM

I dunno, he starts with a fresh sheet of foil that has obviously been pulled off a roll at home, not one that has been folded small and been riding in a PSK for months. I think foil that is unfolded from a PSK would very likely have holes or at least weak spots along the fold lines.

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/10/11 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Outstanding link, thanks!

you are very welcome chaosmagnet

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/10/11 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I dunno, he starts with a fresh sheet of foil that has obviously been pulled off a roll at home, not one that has been folded small and been riding in a PSK for months. I think foil that is unfolded from a PSK would very likely have holes or at least weak spots along the fold lines.

I see your point. Foil tends to do that and loose strength when folded and creased to many times. I think I read somewhere on this forum that rolling your foil instead of folding it helps it last longer. You could always try it out. Test it using folded foil and then rolled foil.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/10/11 01:46 AM

I have heard of something call titanium foil. It is probably more expensive than plain old aluminum, but possibly it might stand up better to folding. I have no experience with the material at all, so this is rampant speculation.
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/10/11 02:11 AM

I didn't like his fold. I think the fold you find in a Mountain House food packet is a better fold because it is freestanding.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/10/11 01:17 PM

And it makes a nifty hat. For those so inclined

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/10/11 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
I didn't like his fold. I think the fold you find in a Mountain House food packet is a better fold because it is freestanding.

True with this fold you loose the ability of the foil to free stand. I would be interested if someone could come up with a way to make it free standing using the same standard foil in your PSK. Anyone good at origami

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/10/11 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have heard of something call titanium foil. It is probably more expensive than plain old aluminum, but possibly it might stand up better to folding. I have no experience with the material at all, so this is rampant speculation.

Interesting. Titanium is becoming the go to metal for hikers especially the Ultralight ones. I wounder what a roll of of it would cost and how well it would preform. I feel an experiment in the making.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/10/11 07:09 PM

Since my PSK is carried in a pouch on my water bottle carrier (which carries a steel cup and usually a steel bottle), the biggest use I find for the aluminum foil is as a moisture barrier under the start of a fire. We have a lot of ground moisture at the best of times around here, to.

If I was going to try to count on it is a container, I would want to roll it around something for storage.

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/10/11 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Since my PSK is carried in a pouch on my water bottle carrier (which carries a steel cup and usually a steel bottle), the biggest use I find for the aluminum foil is as a moisture barrier under the start of a fire. We have a lot of ground moisture at the best of times around here, to.

If I was going to try to count on it is a container, I would want to roll it around something for storage.

I have heard of using foil as a fire barrier. Never tried it though. Really to get the best proformance out of it one would have to make sure to take care in storing it. If it starts to look worn or weak points begin to form then it's time to replace. I guess that goes to say that your PSK is not one that is sealed and never openned. I guess it could be safe to say that when it's time to replace any items that have an experation date. It's also wise to check everything else and see if all is in working order. A little maintenance never hurt any one.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 09/11/11 05:46 AM

I often use foil beneath my fire. It's especially handy if I'm using potassium permanganate to start it. I just fashion the foil into a small cup to keep the PP in one spot til it gets going.

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 10/07/11 03:40 PM

This is a case where you can make a poor water boiling device vs a nice one with a metal cup or water bottle.
Posted by: xbanker

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 10/09/11 10:30 AM

I bought 11.75-in. x 12-in. piece some months back from here to test as alternative to Al foil. $15 + shipping (less 10% discount for active duty/veterans). Too many other projects, so haven't played with it yet.

I asked questions before purchase about durability/folding. The reply: "The Ti foil is much thicker than Al foil... it will not tear. Repeated folding will cause it to work harden and break. You want to roll up the Ti foil. This is the same foil that we make the Ti stove pipes out of (0.005" thick). You will have trouble poking a hole in the Ti foil with a nail."

So, still needs TLC like aluminum foil when comes to folding; but nevertheless an improvement (albeit a pricey improvement) if carried rolled as suggested, with expectation that in emergency use, would be fashioned into cup/cooking vessel and left that way (not repeatedly folded/unfolded). Warning: edges are like a razor blade; in use, would have to be crimped over.

Finally, for Al foil, 3M High Temperature Aluminum Foil Tape will work as improvised patch up to 600 degrees (prolonged exposure to open flame could be a problem, though data sheet says flame resistant).
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 10/09/11 04:44 PM

Thank you very much - that indeed is useful information. Is your source Kifaru? (stove pipes!).

I guess the most practical solution is still a cup/mug snugly placed around the bottom of your canteen. Takes up negligible space and you can cook to your heart's content with no difficulties. There is wide variety of containers available in various metals and diameters to fit many different water bottles.
Posted by: xbanker

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 10/09/11 08:23 PM

Is your source Kifaru?.

I guess the most practical solution is still a cup/mug snugly placed around the bottom of your canteen.

Bought mine here .

Agree about cup/canteen combo. That's method in my larger kit(s)/packs. The Ti foil intended strictly for small PSK-type kit, like my Maxped Pocket Organizer where "(small) size does matter." As for cost (for "just a piece of foil"), I figure that I've already gone to some expense to outfit with the best small bits of gear I can find, so what's another $15 (I can rationalize anything, given enough time grin).

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 12/06/11 08:54 PM

...or just carry a metal water bottle. easy to boil in.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK - 12/09/11 09:26 AM

As a compromise between foil (easy to carry, hard to use) and a metal cup (great to use, not psk sized) could I suggest foil pans - disposable loaf tin sort of thing. Much stronger than foil, and fold up pretty well (you may need to trim the rolled top edge.). I wouldn't want to keep folding and unfolding them, but one that would hold about a pint, carefully folded and flattened will pack small and open up fine.

Just another possible stop point on the size / utility continuum...