Leather man knives?

Posted by: LoneWolf

Leather man knives? - 08/30/11 01:50 PM

Howdy all,

Got an Amazon gift card that is burning a hole in my pocket. I have thought for some time that I would like to get a knife with assisted opening and a clip to EDC. I currently carry a little folder that locks. I have been looking at the Leathermans and the Spydercos. The only experience I have with either company is the Leatherman Wave that is currently residing in my GHB. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and ummm, the gift card is $40.

Thanks,
LW
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Leather man knives? - 08/30/11 02:42 PM

I had one and liked it. Felt well made and locked up solid. Gave it to my wife. She seems to like it.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Leather man knives? - 08/30/11 02:52 PM

if you are willing to expand your options... I carried (at school) and would highly recommend a Kershaw Leek ...very sharp, assisted opening...probably have to kick in a couple of dollars..
Posted by: Denis

Re: Leather man knives? - 08/30/11 05:08 PM

I don't have experience with those knives, but I really like my Leatherman Skeletool CX and think it makes a great EDC pocket tool.

I used to carry a Leatherman Juice regularly but also wanted to carry a more capable locking folder. After looking at the options, I decided against carrying a two tools but didn't want to stop carrying a multi-tool; carrying a knife alone just isn't as useful for me.

So I landed on the Skeletool; it gives me the one-handed opening locking-blade knife in a fairly compact and light package that can be easily carried with a pocket clip, but with the versatility of the additional pliers and screwdriver.

It looks like regular Skeletools are selling for about $45 on Amazon right now.

Gerber also has a couple similar offerings, the Octane and the Crucial are the two I've looked at recently. They seem nice, bought my son an Octane actually, but I still prefer the Skeletool; it just feels better smile.
Posted by: LoneWolf

Re: Leather man knives? - 08/31/11 09:07 AM

Thanks everyone.

I expect to be placing an order this afternoon. I hadn't thought about Kershaw until you all brought it up. I did a bunch of research and I think I'll go the Leek route. I'm still debating though. The Blur looks pretty good too. Several of the reviews stated that the tip on the Leek is rather fine and easy to break off. Shouldn't be a problem, I don't plan to pry any tires off of rims or anything. The Blur seems to be a good choice but it is a bigger, heavier knife. I haven't decided for sure yet. Does anyone have any other thoughts or have done a side by side comparison?

Thanks again,
LW

Re: Leather man knives? - 08/31/11 11:30 AM

LoneWolf...if you decide on the Leek, be careful the first time you open it with the thumb stud...with the assisted opening the blade can open quicker than your thumb moves, and you may end up with your thumb on the blade...use the assisted opening ramp
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Leather man knives? - 08/31/11 09:24 PM

The thumbstuds on leek is almost unusable anyway, they are really there to work as blade stop.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Leather man knives? - 08/31/11 09:27 PM

Hope I didnt catch you to late but CRKT makes some decent knives for the 40$ price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Kni...9659&sr=8-3

I been wanting this one for awhile now but lately Ive Been on a Benchmade kick.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Leather man knives? - 08/31/11 09:46 PM

Is there a problem with the Leatherman Leek opening up in the pocket? I read some reviews where people noted this. I see it has a safety, but let's assume I won't be using it.

Re: Leather man knives? - 08/31/11 11:54 PM

I EDC'd it at a high school so did not use the clip...it was always alone in the pocket, and did not have a problem..but it is very sharp, and very pointy

Re: Leather man knives? - 09/01/11 02:40 AM

The Spyderco Tenacious G-10 a good looking knife for under $40. I don't own one. I just noticed it has good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tenacious-Handle-Folding-Plain/dp/B001EI7578/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_2
Posted by: comms

Re: Leather man knives? - 09/01/11 12:58 PM

To add to the hijack and I hope the next poster will attempt to swing back to the OP, but I've owned a Syperdo Endura since approx. 1991. For many years it was my absolute favorite knife. That thing saw a lot of time on my LBE in the Army. Still own it, still love it but its not my EDC now.

Re: Leather man knives? - 11/14/11 08:51 PM

I played with the Kershaw Leek at Walmart. I wasn't so excited when I finally got to handle it. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly is wrong. It just didn't strike me as a knife that I wanted to buy right now. Perhaps I thought I was going to be in love with the speed assist, and I wasn't.

I've been researching a lot about Kershaw lately. If you're still looking, you might try looking at the Kershaw Skyline. It's not speed assist, but it's lighter than the Leek, has a larger blade, the same steel type, and is also made in America.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Leather man knives? - 11/14/11 10:52 PM

The Leek is my all-time favorite pocket knife. I saw one in ZDP-189 listed for sale at another forum. If I hadn't just dropped a ton of cash on a couple other knives I'd have picked it up.

I'm also a fan of Spyderco knives. I've got a Delica in VG-10, a Native in CPM-S30V and a Dragonfly in AUS8. They Kershaws open faster but the Spydies close faster so they each have their place.