Long-Term Test Report: Weber Lighter Cubes

Posted by: cedfire

Long-Term Test Report: Weber Lighter Cubes - 08/25/11 06:10 PM

A little over a year ago I purchased some Weber Lighter Cubes from Home Depot and vacuum-sealed a batch. This was after reading about them online and wondering how they stacked up to UST's WetFire Tinder. For a fraction of the price of the WetFire, you can get many cubes of the Weber offering. The big downside: how to store and transport them. The manufacturer's packaging is pretty flimsy and the foil backing is easily broken.

So I decided to open up the vacuum packaging today to see how long-term storage had affected the Weber Cubes. By now, they had been in everything from a garage to a backyard storage shed. Temperatures likely varied from 40-90 degrees (F). The firestarter used to ignite the crushed cube was a UST Strike Force.

The vacuum sealing process had broken the foil seal around several of the cubes. I took a cube from the most damaged area for testing.

After a few strikes, it was lit and cranking out some serious flame and heat. A slight breeze couldn't even put it out.

Total burn time was a little over 2:30 minutes. This compared very favorably to the 2:40 minute burn time when the cubes were brand new, in original packaging, and tested a year ago. Overall, I would rate the test as a success. If you have the ability to vacuum-seal some of these to preserve them, they should last at least a year in storage, if not more!

Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Long-Term Test Report: Weber Lighter Cubes - 08/25/11 10:14 PM

Nice - thanks for the tip

Teacher
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Long-Term Test Report: Weber Lighter Cubes - 08/25/11 11:14 PM

Nice test! Thanks!

HJ
Posted by: cedfire

Re: Long-Term Test Report: Weber Lighter Cubes - 08/27/11 10:34 PM

More than welcome! Anything fun in the name of "science". LOL
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Long-Term Test Report: Weber Lighter Cubes - 08/28/11 02:57 AM

Thanks Cedfire!
Posted by: Susan

Re: Long-Term Test Report: Weber Lighter Cubes - 08/28/11 03:21 AM

Thank you for going to the trouble to test it and let us know!

Sue
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Long-Term Test Report: Weber Lighter Cubes - 08/28/11 04:33 AM

Very cool. I did the same thing back in April or so but I haven't tested any of them yet. It's good to know though that I can expect them to work. When I was sealing them I packaged them in a variety of quantities from an entire package down to 3, 2 or even 1 cube sizes. Just as a test I also double and triple sealed a few of them. A single cube (triple sealed) rides in my Maxpedition 12 x 5 bottle bag survival kit.