Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack

Posted by: bacpacjac

Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/20/11 11:07 PM

Around this time of year, the cool, wet fall weather returns to these parts. Don't get me wrong, it's not winter yet. We're still getting warm weather during the day (mid 20 to low 30 degrees C) but the nights and mornings are getting chillier. Before long, we should be back to single digits overnight. We're not near freezing yet but the greater temperature ranges are making me think about re-packing my hiking kit to address the cold and and their lovechild, hypothermia.

This is a day-hike kit, intended to sustain me and DS on an impromptu overnight. I carry it on day/night hikes and day paddles with my Beavers, Cubs and Scouts as well. It also doubles as my get-home bag for my daily commute.

Notes:
-DS (8 yo) has his own hiking kit with PSK, water, snacks, extra clothes, etc.
-everything is carried in a 55L backpack, lined with a dry bag
-individual contents are organized and packed in waterproof bags
* Come September, we'll be prepping for fall hikes, paddles and camps with our Scout groups, another reason for the preemptive seasonal kit change over. wink

EDC and ON-BODY:
-EDC watch, paracord necklace with photon, key chain (with keys, SAK, fox 40, fauxton and monkey fist) and extra glasses (in hard case)
-layered clothing suitable for the worst 24hr conditions, including paracord belt, bball hat and sunglasses
-Leatherman Kick with AAA mag and key fob with strike-anywhere matches in sheath
-Lanyard with Fox 40, Gerber Vise mini tool, firesteel and LED
-Ritter PSK with added mini bic, mag block, led keychain, bandana, extra duct tape, extra nylon cord, large ziplock bag and folder
-2-person heat sheet

NAVIGATION KIT:
-Local maps & Silva compass in waterproof map case

LIGHT KIT:
-LED headlamp & extra batteries
-mini mag & extra batteries
-snap lights (in lightweight plastic tube)

FIRST AID KIT:
-AMK .9 FAK with extra gauze, bandana, 2 triangulars and lip balm
-OTC med kit with Tylenol, Ibuprophin, Benedryl, Gravol, chewable pepto/immodium (adult and child versions)
-Toilet paper (about 1/3 of a regular 1ply roll, inner tube removed)
-feminie hygene supplies (including max pads, baby wipes and extra ziplock bags)

SHARPS:
-Ruuko fixed blade
-Sierra saw
*folding shovel will be added when it's time for the snow to fly

SHELTER KIT:
-Emerg rain poncho
-AMK 2 person bivvy
-Hot shots hand warmers
-Blaze orange Thinsulate watch cap
-Wool gloves
-Blaze orange rain jacket
-Wool sweater
-Wool socks
-Rain pants

WATER/FOOD:
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-1.5 ltr water bottle with filter (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-individual packs of instant coffee, hot chocolate, tang/koolaid
-Peanut m&ms
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Cliff bars
*Military mess cup, Esbit stove and fuel will be added by the time the snow flies and natural tinder and fuel is mostly gone

FIRE KIT:
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-tea lights
-fat wood
-birch bark shavings

SIGNALING KIT:
-bear bell
-small air horn
-cell phone (non-activated, with SIM card for 911 only)

As always, I'm hoping you'll share your wisdom to improve this kit. Thanks!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:17 AM

I have found snap lights to be unreliable in the extreme, especially when carried long term in a pack. The covering inevitably abrades and holes develop, with the result that when you snap them, there is no resulting light.

I would include a signal mirror, but then I live in lower latitudes. Is there a mirror included with your compass?

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:22 AM

Thanks Hikermor. There's a mirror with the compass and also in the Ritter PSK.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
LIGHT KIT:
-LED headlamp & extra batteries
-snap lights

I have an issue with the snap lights. Twice one has failed to work.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 03:04 AM

A whistle is priceless when needed,wrap some rubberbands or innertube around it for grip,&/or xlnt waterproof tinder.By the way,You have a Very well thought out kit,I hope you don't need it but glad you have it! Sorry about that,I must have had a brain frrt,I see you have some fox 40's listed,the rubberbands/innertube are very handy,multi-use & lightweight,& Thats it! Cheers!
Posted by: LED

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 03:56 AM

I pack all my chem lights in hard containers. Right now I'm using plastic tube mailers. They weight next to nothing and do a good job of protecting the chem lights. Never had one fail, and I've gone through a lot of them.

You also have to make sure they are not broken before you buy them. If you shake an unused light stick it makes a distinct rattle, which means the glass vial inside has not been broken. Once the glass vial has been broken, it makes a completely different sound.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 07:23 AM

The chem lights that have worked reliably for me are the ones made for life jackets that are packaged in a hard plastic shell with an attachment clip.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 07:44 AM

Great kit. If I was going to pick nits with it, I might ask - why carry a folder (for preference I consider a fixed blade to be stronger and safer)and whether some sort of shelter should be in the on body kit (if the shtf then I can imagine situations where lighting a fire can be almost impossible, but wrapping oneself in a heatsheet / trash bag etc might be very useful).

Also no mention of spare cordage in the shelter kit, which might be useful.

But I'm being petty - be happy to have that list of kit on me in a crisis
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 09:26 AM

That is a really nice kit. Like bigreddog said, I'd be happy to have that kit.

The only recommendations I can think of are:

You might want some repair tools and materials to fix a broken pack or other items in your kit. A sail needle or upholstery needle and some strong thread would be a good start. Maybe an assortment of zip ties for broken straps. For clothing repairs, you could also add a small sewing kit like they give out at hotels - about the size of a matchbook.

For your EDC, you don't have anything for water. I'd suggest an oven bag or a small pouch like this one: http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/1%20Qt.%20Emergency%20Water%20Bag.htm Or you could just carry a condom for water carry.

You also have two bic lighters and some matches but I don't see any other fire making tools. I'd add at least a ferrocium rod and maybe a fresnel lens too in case you get hopelessly wet.

I'd add a small whistle since an air horn is only good for a short time.

I'd add a pair of leather work gloves unless you're used to working with your hands all day.

I'd add a second compass, even if it's just a button compass or zipper pull compass. You need a backup because compasses get lost due to them being out of your pack and getting used often. Also, when you are in the depths of being lost, human nature says you will absolutely doubt the integrity of your compass. A backup compass to compare the two could be the little something to bring you back to reality.

I'd add extra batteries for all the lighting devices.

Some foil would come in handy as a windscreen for your stove or to wrap up any food you find.

With a pack as big as yours (55L) I imagine you still have lots of space in there. Since we're talking about a Fall weather load-out, I'd beef up the shelter a bit. Maybe add an Exped downmat or some cheaper pad if you are trying to keep costs down. You could also upgrade to the AMK thermal bivy bags instead of just heatsheets.

If you will be with your son stuck in the woods, perhaps something to pass the time like a deck of cards or dice or a mini backgammon set or a little AM/FM radio.

You don't have anything for food gathering like fishing kit or snare kit. Perhaps they are inappropriate for your area, but food gathering equipment might be something to add.

Since this is also your get home bag, I don't see anything for self-defense. I'd start with a firearm or at least have an ASP baton, or a monkey fist ball bearing key chain, or some pepper spray, or a street legal knife like a Boker Subcom, neck knife, or even a retractable box cutter razor.

Overall a very nice kit you have. I like that you're carrying a lot of stuff on your person, that's something that I learned only recently from this website.
Posted by: Medicineball

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 11:35 AM

Great kit - thanks for sharing! How much does the air horn weigh? I'd be hesitant to bring it, because I don't trust pressurized things to stay pressurized. I do agree with others, however, about a whistle. Worth the ounce and always works.

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
By the way, You have a Very well thought out kit, I hope you don't need it but glad you have it!

Many thanks go to my fellow ETSers for helping me sort it out in early summer!

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
the rubberbands/innertube are very handy, multi-use & lightweight

Good ideas. Thanks! I've got long hair so usually keep a few hair elastics in there. Better double check. wink

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: LED
I pack all my chem lights in hard containers. Right now I'm using plastic tube mailers. They weight next to nothing and do a good job of protecting the chem lights. Never had one fail, and I've gone through a lot of them.

You also have to make sure they are not broken before you buy them. If you shake an unused light stick it makes a distinct rattle, which means the glass vial inside has not been broken. Once the glass vial has been broken, it makes a completely different sound.

Thanks LED, Hikermor and Jeanette. I like snap lights, but you're right that ensuring they're in good shape and protected is important. I've taken your advice and put some in a lightweight plastic tube to protect them. I also check them regularly.

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: bigreddog
why carry a folder (for preference I consider a fixed blade to be stronger and safer)

I debated carrying a folder over the summer. As we move into and through fall, gathering and processing firewood will become more difficult. A fixed blade is definitelty a smart upgrade. Thanks!

whether some sort of shelter should be in the on body kit (if the shtf then I can imagine situations where lighting a fire can be almost impossible, but wrapping oneself in a heatsheet / trash bag etc might be very useful).

Smart idea! Think I'll move the heatsheet in a pocket and and a 2-person bivvy to the kit.

Also no mention of spare cordage in the shelter kit, which might be useful.

I doubled the nylon cord and duct tape in my Ritter AMK PSK, and also wear a paracord belt that has maybe 60 ft of cordage. There's also 2 ft of paracord in my necklace.

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
You might want some repair t[ch like this one: http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/1%20Qt.%20Emergency%20Water%20Bag.htm Or you could just carry a condom for water carry.

I've got a ziplock bag in my PSK. Forget to mentio it, sorry!

You also have two bic lighters and some matches but I don't see any other fire making tools. I'd add at least a ferrocium rod and maybe a fresnel lens too in case you get hopelessly wet.

I've got a firesteel on my lanyard. I'm debating adding a mag block to my PSK as well. Wet tinder in the fall makes it worth the (little) extra weight.

I'd add a small whistle since an air horn is only good for a short time.

I've got three already - one on my lanyard, one on my keychain and one in my PSK.

I'd add a pair of leather work gloves unless you're used to working with your hands all day.

Good idea!

I'd add a second compass, even if it's just a button compass or zipper pull compass. You need a backup you

There's a button compass in my PSK.

I'd add extra batteries for all the lighting devices.

Good idea!

Some foil would come in handy as a windscreen for your stove or to wrap up any food you find.

Good idea!

With a pack as big as yours (55L) I imagine you still have lots of space in there. Since we're talking about a Fall weather load-out, I'd beef up the shelter a bit. Maybe add an Exped downmat or some cheaper pad if you are trying to keep costs down. You could also upgrade to the AMK thermal bivy bags instead of just heatsheets.

I carried a lighweight, hand-knit wool blanket during the summer. I'm debating putting it back in but think a thermarest would have more value now, considering that we're both carrying extra wool clothing now. I am moving the heatsheet to My pocket and adding a 2-person bivy to my shelter kit. Great suggestions!

If you will be with your son stuck in the woods, perhaps something to pass the time like a deck of cards or dice or a mini backgammon set or a little AM/FM radio.

Good idea. He has a little deck of cards in his kit but it can't hurt to put one in mine too.

You don't have anything for food gathering like fishing kit or snare kit. Perhaps they are inappropriate for your area, but food gathering equipment might be something to add.

There's a little fishing kit and wire in my PSK. I figure I can also use my cordage for snares.

Since this is also your get home bag, I don't see anything for self-defense. I'd start with a firearm or at least have an ASP baton, or a monkey fist ball bearing key chain, or some pepper spray, or a street legal knife like a Boker Subcom, neck knife, or even a retractable box cutter razor.

I do have a monkey fist on my keychain. (forgot to mention it - sorry.)

Overall a very nice kit you have. I like that you're carrying a lot of stuff on your person, that's something that I learned only recently from this website.

Kudos to our fellow ETSers!

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Medicineball
How much does the air horn weigh? I'd be hesitant to bring it, because I don't trust pressurized things to stay pressurized. I do agree with others, however, about a whistle. Worth the ounce and always works.

It's very light and takes up very little space. It's also very easy to operate (push the red top/horn piece) onto the white cannister piece.

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:47 PM

Just a friendly reminder of what's in the Ritter AMK PSK. I forget sometimes too. wink

-Spark-Lite™ Firestarter
-4 Spark-Lite™ Tinder-Quik™ -
-Fox-40® Rescue Howler™ Survival Whistle
-Rescue Flash™ Signal Mirror
-20mm Survival Compass
-Duct Tape
-Stainless Steel Utility Wire
-Braided Nylon Cord
-#69 Black Nylon Thread
-Fishing Kit
-Heavy Duty Sewing Needle
-4 Safety Pins
-Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
-#2 Pencil and Waterproof Notepaper
-#22 Scalpel Blade
-Kit Specific Illustrated Survival Instructions - authored by Doug Ritter
-Contents List
-Fresnel Lens Magnifier
Pocketsize Clear Vinyl Pouch

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 12:51 PM

Just added 3 sleeves of Starbucks Viva instant coffee. wink
Posted by: LED

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 08:41 PM

SIGNALING KIT:
-bear bell
-small air horn

Excellent idea bacpacjac. I also carry a small, marine air horn when camping. Mostly for curious bears and coyotes.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/21/11 10:32 PM

all that for a day hike kit? Where do you hike?

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/22/11 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
all that for a day hike kit? Where do you hike?

"Hi. I'm bacpacjac and I'm an over-prepper."

I do fight an on-going battle with over-packing. That's why I seek guidance here. wink

This paticular kit is for long day/night hikes and paddles, more than a few hours walk back to civilization, and often in the company of 1-12 youth. It's also my get-home bag for my daily commute.

For shorter hikes, closer to the pavement, I take a scaled down fanny pack kit (FAK, headlamp, water and snacks) and my on-body EDC.

Hypothermia starts to become a very real threat in these parts around this time of year. Shelter, fire and food move up the priority list as a result.

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/22/11 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: LED

Excellent idea bacpacjac. I also carry a small, marine air horn when camping. Mostly for curious bears and coyotes.

One persistent black bear and increasingly agressive coyotes are exactly why I started carrying them LED. Both are threats in my world.
Posted by: Nato7

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/22/11 01:31 AM

One persistent black bear and increasingly agressive coyotes are exactly why I started carrying them LED. Both are threats in my world.

Unfortunately, the coyotes are becoming part of prep for any day hike. They seem to be everywhere these days. They are busy feasting on all the neighbourhood pets that anyone foolishly allows off leash or to roam about.

Have you had to use the air horn yet? And has it worked?

Thanks.

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/22/11 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Nato7

Unfortunately, the coyotes are becoming part of prep for any day hike. They seem to be everywhere these days. They are busy feasting on all the neighbourhood pets that anyone foolishly allows off leash or to roam about.

Have you had to use the air horn yet? And has it worked?

Thanks.

Had to use it once for a coyote. DS were on an evening hike and came across one that wasn't afraid of our voices. A good blast on the air horn sent it running one way, and us retreating cautiously to the car.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/22/11 07:11 AM

Good, good kit. I'd replace the minimag with something else (a Preon ReVO, for example), but I'm a flashaholic picking nits. Is a PLB or a SEND something you've considered?
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/22/11 05:29 PM

To cut weight, I 'd switch the wool sweater for fleece

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/23/11 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
To cut weight, I 'd switch the wool sweater for fleece

I often debate that with myself, Teacher. My wool and fleece jackets weigh aprox. the same. The fleece is cozier but the wool warmer. Wool maintains warmth when wet but fleece dries very quickly.

I most often wear a fleece jacket, down or polyfil vest, and gortex jacket when I hike in the fall. Wool seemed like a wise choice for another layer when hypothermia is a threat.

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/23/11 01:09 AM

Mother Nature is right on track. Thunderstorms over the past week, we could see our breath last night, and the expected high is only 13 degrees C tomorrow during the day. If that was summer we've had it!

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/26/11 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Is a PLB or a SEND something you've considered?

Absolutely. I'm currently torn between getting another cel phone or a SPOT, actually. Money is tight and I can't afford both. One or the other will be my Christmas present this year. (Only 4 months from today.)
Posted by: Denis

Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack - 08/26/11 03:56 PM

I'm currently torn between getting another cel phone or a SPOT, actually. Money is tight and I can't afford both. One or the other will be my Christmas present this year. (Only 4 months from today.)

I've been looking at these devices as well and the Fastfind PLB appears to be the more cost effective choice.

The McMurdo Fastfind 210 is currently running $225 locally. This is a one time cost for 5 years of service.

The SPOT 2 is running $169 for the hardware and $99 / year for the basic service plan. This equates to a $268 initial investment (hardware + 1 year) and a total of $664 over 5 years. There is currently also a $50 rebate available on the purchase of the hardware which can offset some of the cost.

So, if your primary interest is the emergency use of these devices, the cost and reliability of the PLB would make it a better choice. If the non-emergency messaging of the SPOT is valuable to you, the added cost of the SPOT may still be worthwhile.