Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ?

Posted by: Bingley

Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/03/11 11:02 PM

I finally got around to adding a pair of leather work gloves to my kit. (Yeah, I know, it's super late, but I've got most other things.) As I perused the many offerings at the hardware store, I can't figure out the difference between all these leathers: deer, cow, pig, & goat. What's your recommendation?

Deerskin seemed most supple, but also most expensive. They also didn't have a pair of gloves made entirely of leather (only deerskin-palmed). Pigskin seemed a little thin. Cowhide seemed the thickest, but not by far. I ended up with the goatskin, not because of the leather itself (which is more supple than cowhide, but also a little thinner), but because of the construction.

For emergency it probably won't make that much of a difference. They just need to last for the duration of the emergency. I do worry about getting punctured and cut as I clear my way through the wreckage, but those cut-resistant gloves seem like an overkill unless I work in an abattoir.

Da Bing
Posted by: Eric

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/03/11 11:58 PM

Deerskin
Deerskin is very supple and provides excellent comfort, dexterity and insulation which makes it a favorite choice for products that feature dexterity as the main benefit.

Cowhide
Cowhide is used in a lot of products since it strikes a pretty good balance between durability, dexterity, abrasion resistance, and comfort.

Pigskin
Pigskin has a reputation for resilience and it holds up very well against abrasion, stays pliable with wear. Pigskin is also generally thought to be better about stiffening up after exposure to moisture.

Goatskin
Goatskin generally thought to be both durable and supple. Typically thin cuts are used. If I remember correctly this is what old leather flight jackets are made from.

Every leather type has different characteristics. Bang for buck is pretty much up to the user to determine.

- Eric
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/04/11 12:07 AM

Credentials: Grew up in a leather town in upstate NY. IIRC: Deer skin is supple and comfortable, good for jackets, dress gloves. Not strong. Pig skin is similar. Cowhide and horsehide are strong, but stiff. Goat skin-called cabretta- is a good blend of strength and flexibility, and is the best choice for rock star leather pants. Not a bad choice for gloves, either. In the early twentieth century, dogskin driving gloves were highly regarded for flexibility and breathability-not advocating, now, just sayin': don't be a hater.

Electric company linemen used to use cowhide gauntlets with wide, forearm covering cuffs, which were great for barbed wire projects. Cowhide welders gloves give an amazing amount of thermal and sharp edge protection, and are really cheap at harbor freight.

Leather is not a magic fabric: it degrades quickly with exposure to water and petroleum products. Canvas work gloves with leather palms have served me well for a long time, too.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/04/11 01:16 AM

Here are the gloves I got from Costco, and it's up to someone else to figure out the type of leather.
http://www.supertopo.com/review/Wells-Lamont-Leather-Work-Glove
They are comfortable, inexpensive and work well enough. I have used them for stacking firewood, gardening, etc. They are well-used but have not deteriorated.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/04/11 01:18 AM

Pigskin is my usual choice for work gloves.

Pigskin - doesn't harden much if it gets wet. Florida rains and sweat make this important. Highest abrasion resistance per unit thickness and more breathable because it is fairly thin.

Cow - cheap and thicker so good protection from heat. Tends to be stiff and it will shrink, warp, and stiffen if it gets wet.

Deerskin - softness and comfort. Good toughness considering how soft they are.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/04/11 02:41 AM

Steerskin treated/rubbed in real well with Neatsfoot Oil,Just like a Baseball mitt,works Real Good,softens the leather allowing the gloves to conform to your hands & makes them moisture resistant but not waterproof.Spend some money for your hands like you would for your feet,you've only got two of em'!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/04/11 11:46 AM

Any glove is better than no glove and they can save you a lot of grief. Good fit helps. For many years I have carried a pair of deerskin gloves - light, protective, and well fitting enough to give good dexterity, but not all that great for sustained, heavy use.

For really tough chores, I go with whatever is available at Costco, usually Wells/Lamont. Tough andprotective
Posted by: 6pac

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/04/11 11:57 AM

Kangaroo is top notch glove material.
Posted by: comms

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/05/11 11:27 AM

Not sure if by 'kit' you mean PSK, EDC pack, GHB, or just tool box in the back.

I've owned Deerskin and for the most part they are very supple but don't last long at all. Especially after getting wet and not drying properly. YMMV based on use and care.

The longest owned and hardest working pair of gloves I've ever owned were my D-3A military issue leather gloves. The wool inserts help for extra protection and warmth.

For my EDC and PSK I use a windproof running glove. Yes its synthetic but super light and packable they will get me through what urban issues I'd need them for which have been, summer trail hiking in hot rock areas for hand protection, light shooting, warmth, moving boxes, improved grip, light repetitive impact.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/05/11 11:55 PM

I've moed to using the knit gloves with the tough plastic palms. They fit well, are tougher than leather (outlasted leather moving 75# retaining wall blocks) and I would think they would dry much faster than leather.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/06/11 01:14 AM

Cow hide I find to be too thin and tough once it gets wet and deer skin not durable enough. I've never tried pigskin in anything but footballs. wink

I switch between gostskin and auto mechanics gloves. I use them for gardening, yard work, tree planting, grabage clen-up and bush work. I have pairs in bobs, vehicle kits and the garage. I find them both great. They're both comfortable and durable.
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? - 07/06/11 02:28 PM

I like deer skin because they are soft, supple and quite comfortable. Deer skin seems to be the most tactile for me. I can grip, pick up small stuff....it feels like a second skin.

I use deer skin for hiking and fall hunting.

Goat skin works great for me as a strong work glove.

I get my gloves locally from the Sullivan Glove company in Bend, Or.

Visit www.sullivanglove.com for more info (disclaimer: I just like their gear but get no compensation.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com