Hiking Kit Help

Posted by: bacpacjac

Hiking Kit Help - 07/03/11 09:30 PM

When I was recovering from a broken shoulder the past year, DH carried my hiking pack while I toted a fanny pack. Now that I can handle the load again the past 4 months, he still ribs me for carrying so much stuff.

On a hike this weekend, I gave in and went light. (Ritter PSK with mini bic, mag block with ferro rod and SAK, FAK, multi-tool lanyard, wool blanket, rain jackets, hot dog weiners, bug spray, sunscreen, 1 water bottle each, map and compass, leatherman, AAA mag, firesteel. DH carried a water bottle, leatherman, AAA mag and cel phone.) DS carried his survival kit and water too.

I was too light. We wanted to stay out over-night but didn't feel adequately supplied, even with DS's ever-growing kit. (He's carrying his own stuff now and fighting the over-prepped battle too.) We were specifically short of water and food this time. We were dressed just fine, with light long pants, LS shirts, hats, socks, good boots (shoes
for DS) and sunglasses. The beach we were on had plenty of dry driftwood, enough for shelter and fire, but that isn't something we can count on.

I fight an unending battle against over-packing.

I've been repacking today and have come up with this set-up. This kit is intended only for day hikes and unplanned overnights, not camping and not trips where we share pavement with the parking lot. We often go on unplanned hikes. The kit lives in the trunk of my car for just such an occasion. We're in South Eastern Ontario, and don't spontaneously venture farther than about an hour or so drive from some sort of civilization.

What are your thoughts?

ON-BODY:
-Leatherman Kick with AAA mag and firesteel in sheath
-Lanyard with Fox 40, Gerber Vise mini tool, firesteel and LED
-Ritter PSK with added mini bic, mag block with ferro rod and SAK

NAVIGATION:
-Local maps & Silva compass

LIGHT:
-LED headlamp & extra batteries

FIRST AID:
-AMK .5 FAK with extra gauze, pressure bandage and 2 triangulars

SHARPS:
-Buck folder
-Sierra saw

SHELTER:
-2 rain ponchos
-2 bandanas
-Wool blanket
-2-person heat sheet

WATER/FOOD:
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-1.5 ltr water bottle with filter (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Pepperoni sticks
-Hot chocolate
Food can be added before each trip, but I think I'll add some Cliff bars and jerky to be better prepared.

FIRE:
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-Birthday candles

MISC:
-Bug spray (spray can & wipes)
-Suncreen
-Toilet paper (about 1/3 of a regular 1ply roll, inner tube removed)
-Baby wipes
-Small roll duct tap
-20 ft nylon cord
-cel phone

ADDED:
-bear bell
-small air horn
-OTC meds

REMOVED:
-Ballcap clip-on LED & extra batteries *Redundant Back-up
-LED crank light *Redundant Back-up: keychain LED on lanyard
-Buck fixed blade *Redundant Back-up
-2 rain jackets *Redundant Back-up *Will switch out with ponchos when the cooler temps come back
-Mylar sleeping bag *Redundant Back-up
-Bic *Redundant Back-up
-Fire steelm *Redundant Back-up *Have one on lanyard
-Strike anywhere matches in matchsafe *Redundant Back-up
-Vaseline soaked cotton balls *Redundant Back-up
-Tea lights *Redundant Back-up
-Bucket hat *Redundant Back-up
--Canteen cup *Redundant Back-up

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/03/11 09:36 PM

I should note that even when we make spontaneous excursions, we always file a trip plan with a couple of trusted people, including updates when we decide to extend our stay.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/03/11 10:37 PM

Are bear encounters frequent enough to figure into your plans?

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/03/11 11:06 PM

I use categories of function to check against gear. Here is your list broken down as I would. Where do you think you may be too heavy or too light?:

First Aid,: AMK .5 FAK with extra gauze, pressure bandage and 2 triangulars

Shelter: -Bucket hat, -Wool blanket, -2 rain jackets, -2 rain ponchos, -2-person heat sheet, Mylar sleeping bag

Fire: -Butane lighter, -Bic, -Fire steel, -Strike anywhere matches in matchsafe, TinderQuick, -Vaseline soaked cotton balls

Water: -Lg kleen kanteen (full), -1.5 ltr water bottle with filter (full), -Micro PUR tabs, -Canteen cup,

Food: -Fruit & Nut trail mix, -Pepperoni sticks, -Hot chocolate, more to be added

Navigation: Local maps & Silva compass

Light: -LED headlamp & extra batteries, -Ballcap clip-on LED & extra batteries, -LED crank light, -Tea lights, -Birthday candles

Signaling: Fox 40

Self-protection:

Hygiene: -Bug spray (spray can & wipes),-Suncreen,-Toilet paper-Baby wipes

Morale:

Repair and multipurpose: Gerber Vise mini tool and LED, -2 bandanas, -Sierra saw, -Buck folder, -Buck fixed blade, -Small roll duct tape, -20 ft nylon cord, Ritter PSK with added mini bic

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/03/11 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
Are bear encounters frequent enough to figure into your plans?

Great breakdown Dweste. Thanks!

Black bears and coyotes are both possibilies. Thanks for the reminder!

Protection & Signalling: I've added a bear bell and small air horn.

Signalling includes the mirror in my Ritter PSK, to which I've also added a magnesium bar with ferro rod, a keychain LED and a SAK Spartan.

My plan for this kit is no more than on overnight, whether by emergency or choice. (We rarely go more than a few hours from the car.)

A tent seems like overkill for this time of year but I'll add one when the temps start to drop again. I thought of adding an AMK bivy but it would be too small for three of us, and a tarp and rope add bulk and space.

I definitely need more food, and am thinking of adding a nesbit stove.

My challenge is that I don't want a 50 und kit

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
My challenge is that I don't want a 50 [po]und kit

Comment 1: Isn't that what DH is for?

Comment 2: If going with others the load can be split somewhat. Consider adding an empty small pack for that purpose.

Comment 3: Why not just take your BOB?

comment 4: Thanks for the interesting posts!

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 02:18 AM

Thanks Dewest.

My GHB and our BOBs have more shelter, clothing, hygene, food, cooking, etc. than I want to take on a day hike.

DH is aewsome but he's not my pack mule. wink Good idea about splitting things up. He's slowly coming around. When he asked where the mustard and coffee was at lunchtime, it took me a minute to realize he was serious. He's carrying those next time. wink He had his leatherman, AAA mag, cel phone, camera and extra batteries this time.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 04:09 AM

Geez..... you do overpack.
-first, tell DS and DH, if they want to eat, they pack their own food. You're not a pantry.
-Ditto shelter - why on god's green earth are you carrying 2 rain coats? You have 2 torso's that I don't know about? And 2 ponchos? Pick one.
-1 flashlight. One. Not 3. Worst case scenario if your lights die? It's dark. Big deal.
-1 knife. Fixed or folder, but only one.
-Mylar sleeping bag or heat sheet. Not both.
-Fire: pick 2 methods, and 2 fuels. You're way, way redundant there.
-Ditch the sunscreen. You're in Canada. Not exactly the sun-burn capitol of the world.
-Baby wipes and TP? Pick one. Unless you have diapers to change or raging hemorrhoids, ditch the wipes. I bet you even carry a full roll of TP too, don't you?
-Ditch half the food you're carrying. Again, you're not a pantry. Let your DH and DS carry their own food. If you get stuck overnight and don't eat for 24-48 hours, no big deal. Try that cord and catch some fish.

Sorry to be harsh, but look at all that crap you're lugging around. I bet that's not helping your shoulder. Tell your DH to get off his duff and pitch in. I bet he weighs more than you - he should be carrying more than you. He's not your "pack mule" but it's ok that you are his?
Posted by: LED

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 08:29 AM

Nice, two triangular bandages. Those sure come in handy. I'd also suggest a SAM splint, irrigation syringe, plenty of 4X4's, maybe a couple of 3-4" gauze rolls, and 2 rolls of tape. I know it adds weight, but they're worth it IMO. Also, a small section of Tyvek Homewrap makes a nice, lightweight ground tarp. That would protect your mylar sleeping bag and wool blanket from getting soggy. I recently changed my emergency shelter system. I ditched my disposable poncho and garbage bag for a small UL silnylon tarp (picked up on sale), a section of tyvek, and an AMK heatsheet.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 11:39 AM

I agree with the comment that you have too much redundancy. I would not carry extra battereis, either. I prefer to put lithiums in the light used for day hiking and reserve it for that puirpose. If needed you shoud be able to walk all night.

I would not carry a SAM splint on a regular basis. Splints are among the easiest things to improvise. Same with triangular bandages. It would be different if you were going on a SAR excursion.

Evaluate your kit as you use it and prune ruthlessly. Be on the lookout for lighter alternatives.
Posted by: 6pac

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 12:07 PM

"-Baby wipes and TP? Pick one. Unless you have diapers to change or raging hemorrhoids, ditch the wipes."

This made me blow a snot bubble!!!

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 12:08 PM

Thanks guys! That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I'm trying to figure out how to cut back smartly. I fall into the trap of adding more and more and before I know it I'm carrying the store!

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: 6pac
"-Baby wipes and TP? Pick one. Unless you have diapers to change or raging hemorrhoids, ditch the wipes."

LOL! Something along those lines can be an issue sometimes. Guess I could use water instead of the wipes.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 02:04 PM

Seperate your stuff into two piles.

The must haves and the want to haves. Must haves always go. In the other pile, if you haven't used it, don't take it. If it hasn't been used in the past 6 months, don't take it.

My way of paring down my load.

Some duplication is ok, but only for must have items.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 02:41 PM

One trick I think is clever, but that I've never employed myself: Keep an inventory (you've already posted yours, so you can use that one). After a trip, put a mark next to all things you didn't use. Those things will stay at home the next trip...

... or not. Being prepared means that we hope we'll never use a bunch of the stuff we're bringing. But the emergency only-items are a special category. The majority of items we're bringing are not in this category.

Dual-use is another principle. Such as bring TP or baby wipes, but not both.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 03:34 PM

Thanks gang!! This over-prepping is a serious illness. wink
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 04:28 PM

Get a fishing scale ( electronic) and weight your stuff.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 05:17 PM

Sierra saw might be unnecessary unless you plan to construct shelter with local materials.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 07:55 PM

I'd replace the AAA minimaglite with something better. I carry a 4Sevens Preon ReVO as my backup light -- same form factor, about the same weight, and a much, much better flashlight.

Are you carrying a cellphone or other means of communication?

I carry an extra beanie-type hat for unexpected cold.

After bandaids, the most commonly used items from my FAKs are OTC medications.

Do you have bug repellent and sunscreen? Sawyer makes a combination spray that's very small and light.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Get a fishing scale ( electronic) and weight your stuff.

Good idea. An excellent excuse to buy fishing gear. LOL!

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'd replace the AAA minimaglite with something better. I carry a 4Sevens Preon ReVO as my backup light -- same form factor, about the same weight, and a much, much better flashlight.

I keep the maglite in my Leatherman sheath, simply because there's room. Is the 4Sevens Preon ReVO about the same shape and size?

Are you carrying a cellphone or other means of communication?

I was a BB addict and had to walk away from my cel. I do carry an old unactivated one, with SIM card, when I'm not with someone who has one. I'm just about ready to get another and sm deciding between a simple one or a Spot 2. Not having a cel phone is part of the cause of my over-prepping disease. wink

I carry an extra beanie-type hat for unexpected cold.

Me too. When it's colder, I put in a blaze orange wool beanie, along with wool socks, gloves and extra sweater.

After bandaids, the most commonly used items from my FAKs are OTC medications.

Thank you! I suffer from arthritis and migrains so meds are crucial. Duh!

Do you have bug repellent and sunscreen? Sawyer makes a combination spray that's very small and light.

Thank you again! I'd love a combo but haven't heard of one before.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 10:29 PM

I 'd carry 2 fleece blankets for the same weight as 1 wool one.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Sierra saw might be unnecessary unless you plan to construct shelter with local materials.

We do do that actually. We built an awesome wickie-up on the beach this past weekend.

Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 11:34 PM

What are your thoughts?

ON-BODY:

NAVIGATION:

LIGHT:

FIRST AID:

SHARPS:
-Buck folder
-Sierra saw

SHELTER:
-2 rain ponchos
-2 bandanas
-Wool blanket
-2-person heat sheet

WATER/FOOD:
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Pepperoni sticks
-Hot chocolate
Food can be added before each trip, but I think I'll add some Cliff bars and jerky to be better prepared.

FIRE:
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-Birthday candles

MISC:
-Suncreen
-Baby wipes
-Small roll duct tap
-20 ft nylon cord
-cel phone

ADDED:
-bear bell
-small air horn
-OTC meds

REMOVED:
-Ballcap clip-on LED & extra batteries *Redundant Back-up
-LED crank light *Redundant Back-up: keychain LED on lanyard
-Buck fixed blade *Redundant Back-up
-2 rain jackets *Redundant Back-up *Will switch out with ponchos when the cooler temps come back
-Mylar sleeping bag *Redundant Back-up
-Bic *Redundant Back-up
-Fire steelm *Redundant Back-up *Have one on lanyard
-Strike anywhere matches in matchsafe *Redundant Back-up
-Vaseline soaked cotton balls *Redundant Back-up
-Tea lights *Redundant Back-up
-Bucket hat *Redundant Back-up
--Canteen cup *Redundant Back-up

Nice to see that you trimmed down the kit as the original list is a lot more then I would take on a shorter outing.

There was mention of removing the baby wipes....don't. They come in very handy for a basic body wash/cleanup. Although the experience is not as good as a shower, a 1/2 dozen or so baby wipes utilized in a few strategic body areas can still make a world of difference.

As for fire tinder, depending on where you live or visit, pine or spruce tree sap is always an option as it burns extremely fast and hot even on damp spruce bark.

Pics from this weekend's trip.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/04/11 11:47 PM

Thanks Teslinhiker. We've got a huge pine tree in our backyard. We use it for backyard campfires but I think I'll pack some sap.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 12:25 AM

I would also keep the matches, simply because they weigh very little and they make starting a fire very simple task as most folks know how to operate them without any specific skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdbG_lMrBuk

A box of Swan Vesta's strike anywhere matches will give around 80 lights and can be waterproofed by dipping the heads of the matches in wax. A section of butyl bicycle inner tube can then be wrapped around the match box.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pri...as_Matches.html

A small air tight metal tin such as a used boot polish tin to keep cotton balls soaked in Coleman White gas, is also useful as a last ditch fire making tinder. A packet of Esbit Tabs also make for a useful fire starters in cold and wet conditions.

I also like to include a miniature AAA powered Laser with a lithium battery for signaling as signal mirrors really only work during sunny daylight hours.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/30mw-532nm-stars-light-show-special-effects-green-laser-pen-1-aaa-30654

I would also replace the AAA maglite with a suitable replacement such as the Tank007 TK-360

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/tank007-tk-...-1-cr123a-19183

The CR123 cell has a much higher capacity and this flashlight is very good value for money. The focus optics head can be removed and used as a wide area light and for SOS signaling.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana

-first, tell DS and DH, if they want to eat, they pack their own food. You're not a pantry.

DONE! DS has aready started.

-Ditto shelter - why on god's green earth are you carrying 2 rain coats? You have 2 torso's that I don't know about? And 2 ponchos? Pick one.

The pochos disoosable and the rain jackets a bit heavier. Ditched they jackets for the summer and DH can carry his own, just like DS is already doing.

-1 flashlight. One. Not 3. Worst case scenario if your lights die? It's dark. Big deal.

Smart! With an 8yo, darkness, especially if it was an emergency like and injury can become a big deal fast. I've got a keychain LED on my lanyard and in my PSK, as well as a AAA mag in my Leatherman sheath. DS carries 2 as well. That's enough redundancy.

-1 knife. Fixed or folder, but only one.

Fixed blade is out. It's bigger, heavier and I have the saw for bigger jobs.

-Mylar sleeping bag or heat sheet. Not both.

Mylar is out. Heatsheet is tougher.

-Fire: pick 2 methods, and 2 fuels. You're way, way redundant there.

Bic and matches are out. Butane lighter and firesteel are enough, with tinderquicks.

-Ditch the sunscreen. You're in Canada. Not exactly the sun-burn capitol of the world.

Nope. 8yo on the beach means sunscreen. We can burn badly enough to blister up here in the igloo land. wink

-Baby wipes and TP? Pick one. Unless you have diapers to change or raging hemorrhoids, ditch the wipes. I bet you even carry a full roll of TP too, don't you?

Smrte A$$! wink It's only about 1/3 of a regular 1ply roll and tube is gone.

Again, 8yo and wipes are a good pairing. wink

-Ditch half the food you're carrying. Again, you're not a pantry. Let your DH and DS carry their own food. If you get stuck overnight and don't eat for 24-48 hours, no big deal. Try that cord and catch some fish.

DONE!

Sorry to be harsh, but look at all that crap you're lugging around. I bet that's not helping your shoulder. Tell your DH to get off his duff and pitch in. I bet he weighs more than you - he should be carrying more than you. He's not your "pack mule" but it's ok that you are his?

Not harsh, exactly what I was hoping for. I just keep adding stuff, little by little. I love the idea of keeping a list to keep track!

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 12:42 AM

I keep the maglite in my Leatherman sheath, simply because there's room. Is the 4Sevens Preon ReVO about the same shape and size?

The ReVO is shorter. The Maglite Solitaire is 81mm long and 12.7mm diameter. The ReVO is 71.1mm long and 12.7mm in diameter. The aluminum ReVO is out of stock at 4sevens.com but still in stock other places; the stainless steel model is heavier and costs more, but very shiny.

Quote:
Thank you! I suffer from arthritis and migrains so meds are crucial. Duh!

Pain relievers, DayQuil, antihistamines and diarrhea meds are the ones that come out the most for me.

Quote:
Thank you again! I'd love a combo but haven't heard of one before.

This is the one I carry: http://www.rei.com/product/785882/sawyer-premium-sunblock-with-insect-repellent-05-oz . As bug repellent goes it doesn't work as well as DEET (but I don't know anything that does).

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 01:32 AM

Thanks Liath!

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I would also keep the matches, simply because they weigh very little and they make starting a fire very simple task as most folks know how to operate them without any specific skills....can be waterproofed by dipping the heads of the matches in wax. A section of butyl bicycle inner tube can then be wrapped around the match box....

See how easily this happens?! I agree matches are easy. Matches, lighter and/or firesteel? There are matches in the Ritter PSK.

A small air tight metal tin such as a used boot polish tin to keep cotton balls soaked in Coleman White gas, is also useful as a last ditch fire making tinder. A packet of Esbit Tabs also make for a useful fire starters in cold and wet conditions.

I'll definitely crank it up in the winter!

I also like to include a miniature AAA powered Laser with a lithium battery for signaling as signal mirrors really only work during sunny daylight hours.... I would also replace the AAA maglite with a suitable replacement such as the Tank007 TK-360

The CR123 cell has a much higher capacity and this flashlight is very good value for money. The focus optics head can be removed and used as a wide area light and for SOS signaling.

My headlamp has several settings: low, single focused LED wide/bright 3 LED and all 3 LED flashing in bursts of 3 so I've got signaling covered, though it;s AAA light not CR123.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 01:36 AM

The ReVO is shorter. The Maglite Solitaire is 81mm long and 12.7mm diameter. The ReVO is 71.1mm long and 12.7mm in diameter. The aluminum ReVO is out of stock at 4sevens.com but still in stock other places; the stainless steel model is heavier and costs more, but very shiny.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Pain relievers, DayQuil, antihistamines and diarrhea meds are the ones that come out the most for me. [/quote]

Yup. I've added just about the same list:
antihistamines, allergy meds, gravol and anti-diarheal.

This is the one I carry: http://www.rei.com/product/785882/sawyer-premium-sunblock-with-insect-repellent-05-oz . As bug repellent goes it doesn't work as well as DEET (but I don't know anything that does).
[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks. I'm on the hunt!

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: LED
Nice, two triangular bandages. Those sure come in handy. I'd also suggest a SAM splint, irrigation syringe, plenty of 4X4's, maybe a couple of 3-4" gauze rolls, and 2 rolls of tape ... Also, a small section of Tyvek Homewrap makes a nice, lightweight ground tarp. That would protect your mylar sleeping bag and wool blanket from getting soggy. I recently changed my emergency shelter system. I ditched my disposable poncho and garbage bag for a small UL silnylon tarp (picked up on sale), a section of tyvek, and an AMK heatsheet.

Thanks LED! First Aid and shelter are 2 of my concerns. It's so easy to carry too much. I'm back to the ponchos, heat sheet and blanket. There's a mylar blanket it the FAK, I'm thinking that that stays as medical, which I can suppliment with what I have if needed.

In the colder months I'll switch to something more substantial.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 02:03 AM

I 'd carry 2 fleece blankets for the same weight as 1 wool one.

I've been debating wool vs fleece, Teacher. Wool retains more heat and is useable around a campfire, but fleece is lighter and dries really face. Decisions, decisions!

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: 6pac

Glad I could help
grin

Oh, and Bacpacjac, I hope we're all discussing a non-winter load! Obviously your winter kit will be much more robust. Maybe that would be a good post too in a few more months. If nothing else, I'd probably learn from it. When I was up in Michigan (which is practically Canada, coming from this California boy), my winter kit was my summer kit with gloves and an extra pair of socks. Probably not the best overall, but it got the job done.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 06:12 AM

Most definitely keep the Wool,AKA-Canadian Cotton,W(wool)=Warm,C(cotton)=Cool,F(fleece)=Farce if you should get it wet & have to use it!Keep the Hooahhs(wet wipes) along with the TP,It's a Major morale booster to be Clean & Strong,as opposed to Strong Smelling!Keep Everything you originally have listed,cut the load in 1/2,& Tell the ol'boy(Husfriend) to get the Lead out & Hump like a Grunt!Tell him,Take the z outa' Lazy on these excursions,& when we get back home we'll make good use of the rest!:)Like the rest of the human race,we gotta' work for it!Come on Now,Dollar waitin' on a dime!:)

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 10:13 AM

Oh, and Bacpacjac, I hope we're all discussing a non-winter load! Obviously your winter kit will be much more robust. Maybe that would be a good post too in a few more months. If nothing else, I'd probably learn from it. When I was up in Michigan (which is practically Canada, coming from this California boy), my winter kit was my summer kit with gloves and an extra pair of socks. Probably not the best overall, but it got the job done.

This is most definitely a summer kit. Things need to be much more robust for Canadian winters. I'll start repacking again in a couple months. One of the challenges I have is adjusting to our couple months of summer. Winter is always in the back of my mind.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 01:58 PM

Quote:
Wool retains more heat and is useable around a campfire, but fleece is lighter and dries really face. Decisions, decisions!

During the summer months I use a Vango Venom 200 Square Sleeping Bag, which can be fully unzipped to form a down blanket.

http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog/lightweight_Vango_Venom_200_Square_Sleeping_Bag_.html

It is used in conjuction with a Thermarest neoair short sleeping pad. If used with a lightweight bivvy bag the combination will still weigh less than a Wool blanket (I'm assuming around 1.6 Kg) and will easily outperform it for sleep comfort in colder weather conditions.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 03:04 PM

Would you consider posting your now much-revised list? [I am having a bit of a hard time following all the posts.]

Thank you.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 03:23 PM

If you are looking at replacing the AAA Maglite, I'd recommend taking a look at the Fenix E01 for $15. I've been using one for a while now and have been very happy with it.

While the Preon ReVO seems to be very cool and loaded with extra features and capabilities, at $47 its a bit more than I'd be willing to pay for a small flashlight.

Actually, for only a bit more than the price of the Prion ReVO, I was able to get each member of my family their own E01 for their lanyard or keychain (and only one has been lost so far!). The lower price also makes losses more managable smile.

For size comparison, I found the following picture with both a Maglite Solitaire and a Fenix E01 in a review for the E01:

According to the specs I found for the E01, the E01 and the ReVO are pretty much the same size (2.8" x .5").

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Denis
If you are looking at replacing the AAA Maglite, I'd recommend taking a look at the Fenix E01 for $15. I've been using one for a while now and have been very happy with it.

I have several E01s. They've got a very long runtime and are practically bombproof. At the price they can't be beat, especially for a backup light. The downsides are that some find the tint (noticably purplish) to be objectionable, and there's only one mode.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 04:17 PM

Would you consider posting your now much-revised list? [I am having a bit of a hard time following all the posts.]

Thank you.

Sure thing Dweste!

Here it is, for summer day hikes and impromptu overnights, with DS and DH:

ON-BODY
-Ritter PSK with added mini bic, SAK Spartan, extra duct tape, extra nylon cord, emerg poncho and bandana

NAVIGATION

LIGHT

FIRST AID
-AMK .5 FAK with extra gauze, pressure bandage, tiny bottle of purelle and 2 triangulars

SHARPS
-Buck folder
-Sierra saw

SHELTER
-2 disposable rain ponchos
-2 bandanas
-Wool blanket
-2-person heat sheet

WATER/FOOD
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Pepperoni/Jerky sticks
-Hot chocolate
*Food can be added before each trip

FIRE
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-Birthday candles

MISC
-Suncreen
-lip balm
-travel size pack of baby wipes
-cel phone (non-activated, with SIM card for 911 only)
-bear bell
-small air horn
-OTC meds (Tylenol, Gravol, Benedryl, Claritin, immodium)

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 04:18 PM

Thanks Denis and Chaos. I'm going flashlight shopping on the weekend!
Posted by: Crowe

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 04:22 PM

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts, YMMV smile

Quote:

ON-BODY:

For PSK, I think the mini bic and mag block are enough fire. I think the Kick, Vise, and Sak are a bit much, I don't think the Vise is bringing much to the table, I would stick to the Kick and SAK, though I hope the SAK has scissors, which are handy sometimes. The mini-Mag you may want to upgrade, there are superior options for the size/weight/battery, but it is up to you and what you are comfortable.
Quote:
NAVIGATION:

Nothing wrong with that, especially since Ritter PSK has a backup compass. Try to waterproof map when possible, or store in waterproof container.
Quote:
LIGHT:

A solid addition, especially to a daypack. Keep the extra-batteries to a minimum, with only maybe 1 extra set, use freshly charged rechargeables for the primary battery load, that way, you know are starting with a full charge.
Quote:

FIRST AID:
I would add some Tick Tweezers (I like these better than AMK's tweezers), both for ticks and splinters,some benadryl, for critter bites that give a bad reaction. An ACE bandage for a sprain. I might only take 1 triangular as I don't anticipate major gashes (but you never know), and I can improvise a pressure dressing with the bandanas, think about the accidents that are most likely to happen and plan accordingly.

Quote:

SHARPS:
-Buck folder
-Sierra saw

I have no really problems with this, a fixed is better, but a folder is sufficient, and a Sierra is good for gathering wood and making shelter. I might add a metal bladedtrowel, as it can dig cat holes, firepits, channel water away from shelter, dig out root vegetables, etc, but it is not an absolute necessity.
Quote:

SHELTER:
-2 rain ponchos
-2 bandanas
-Wool blanket
-2-person heat sheet

I really think this is too much. I would go with 1 poncho and 1 groundsheet (tyvek, garbage bag, painter's tarp, etc). The poncho will keep you dry, and the sheet will waterproof a shelter. The Woolblanket is alot for a daypack. a Watchcap and down vest would be better for warmth and less bulky, depending on the temps. I would lose the blanket, add a cap, down or fleece vest, work gloves (hand protection good), and a spare of wool socks (wet feets bad) and undies (accidents do happen) in a small stuffsack. Imagine your temporary shelter, and your extended shelter (and then practice them). For a night or two, you can away with a sitting on a groundcloth under a tree nested in a poncho and heatsheet (especially with the vest,gloves, and cap, and especially if you stuff the area with leaves or pine needles), in most conditions this should suffice. If you need anything more elaborate, you can construct something with the saw and sheet. You may want to add a FEW nails and tent stakes (like 4 nails and 2 stakes) to help secure lines.

Quote:

WATER/FOOD:
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Pepperoni sticks
-Hot chocolate

Looks good, I would add a nesting stainless steel cup and some teabags, though I guess you can also brew the kleen kanteen, but I believe in easy warm liquids. A piece of aquarium tubing (for water collection) and a small sieve with a coffee filter or three or cheese cloth for filtering particulates can make water collection and consumption easier. I would add some hydration tables or electrolyte mix in case of dehydration, and a pack of koolaid (crystallite, etc) to kill the taste of treated water.
Quote:

FIRE:
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-Birthday candles

Birthday candles can melt, be sure to bag them. I am a big fan of the shoe polish tin with lint and petroleum jelly, (though a bag of lint and boot polish is pretty damn good too) but go with what you are comfortable with.
Quote:

MISC:
-Sunscreen
-Baby wipes
-Small roll duct tap
-20 ft nylon cord
-cel phone

I don't really have a problem with these. A hat for sun and rain protection is a good idea, as are sunglasses. Cell phones are good, cell phones with gps are better (but more expensive). Don't forget good old change and a calling card in case the phone dies and you happen upon a payphone (or a vending machine). Carry a battery charger for your phone and put your phone in a waterproof sack so it is less likely to die. A pad and pencil can be good, both for messaging, and to remind you what you used and didn't use, or wish you had brought. Some needle, thread, super glue (be careful with glue, it leaks), and safety pins can be handy for blowouts in gear or clothing, and add little to bulk or weight. A deck of cards can help with the boredom of waiting, and help distract the mind.

Hope you find this helpful,

Crowe

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/05/11 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Crowe

ON-BODY:
For PSK, I think the mini bic and mag block are enough fire. I think the Kick, Vise, and Sak are a bit much, I don't think the Vise is bringing much to the table, I would stick to the Kick and SAK, though I hope the SAK has scissors, which are handy sometimes.

I've ditched the magnesium bar and taken out the SAK. I moved the Buck folder from the main pack to here instead.

The mini-Mag you may want to upgrade, there are superior options for the size/weight/battery, but it is up to you and what you are comfortable.

Working on it!

NAVIGATION:
Nothing wrong with that, especially since Ritter PSK has a backup compass. Try to waterproof map when possible, or store in waterproof container.

I've got the map and compass in a Coglan's waterproof map bag.

LIGHT:
A solid addition, especially to a daypack. Keep the extra-batteries to a minimum, with only maybe 1 extra set, use freshly charged rechargeables for the primary battery load, that way, you know are starting with a full charge.

Good idea. More load lightening. Thanks!

FAK:
I would add some Tick Tweezers (I like these better than AMK's tweezers), both for ticks and splinters,some benadryl, for critter bites that give a bad reaction. An ACE bandage for a sprain. I might only take 1 triangular as I don't anticipate major gashes (but you never know), and I can improvise a pressure dressing with the bandanas, think about the accidents that are most likely to happen and plan accordingly.

The kit has a small tensor in there and I've changed the tweezers. I like 2 triangulars for splinting, slinging and donuts, and bandanas for pressure bandages. They're light and small.

SHARPS:
I have no really problems with this, a fixed is better, but a folder is sufficient, and a Sierra is good for gathering wood and making shelter. I might add a metal bladedtrowel, as it can dig cat holes, firepits, channel water away from shelter, dig out root vegetables, etc, but it is not an absolute necessity.

I debated that but they're heavy and I can improvise.

SHELTER:
I really think this is too much. I would go with 1 poncho and 1 groundsheet (tyvek, garbage bag, painter's tarp, etc). The poncho will keep you dry, and the sheet will waterproof a shelter. The Wool blanket is alot for a daypack. a Watchcap and down vest would be better for warmth and less bulky, depending on the temps. I would lose the blanket, add a cap, down or fleece vest, work gloves (hand protection good), and a spare of wool socks (wet feets bad) and undies (accidents do happen) in a small stuffsack. Imagine your temporary shelter, and your extended shelter (and then practice them). For a night or two, you can away with a sitting on a groundcloth under a tree nested in a poncho and heatsheet (especially with the vest,gloves, and cap, and especially if you stuff the area with leaves or pine needles), in most conditions this should suffice. If you need anything more elaborate, you can construct something with the saw and sheet. You may want to add a FEW nails and tent stakes (like 4 nails and 2 stakes) to help secure lines.

I upgrade clothing in the winter, but for these few months the ponchos will keep us dry when hiking and we use the blanket frequently for lunch, etc. It also helps pad the bag.

WATER/FOOD:
Looks good, I would add a nesting stainless steel cup and some teabags, though I guess you can also brew the kleen kanteen, but I believe in easy warm liquids.

I took the canteen cup out in favour of the kleen kanteen because I can store water in it. I agree about warm drinks, but I don't like tea as much as hot chocolate.

A piece of aquarium tubing (for water collection) and a small sieve with a coffee filter or three or cheese cloth for filtering particulates can make water collection and consumption easier.

I've got a filter in one of the water bottles, and it's got a built-in straw so should work the same.

I would add some hydration tables or electrolyte mix in case of dehydration, and a pack of koolaid (crystallite, etc) to kill the taste of treated water.

mmMMM. Cherry koolaid. Tang...

FIRE:
Birthday candles can melt, be sure to bag them. I am a big fan of the shoe polish tin with lint and petroleum jelly, (though a bag of lint and boot polish is pretty damn good too) but go with what you are comfortable with.

They're in a well-sealed match safe with some strike-anywheres.

MISC.
I don't really have a problem with these. A hat for sun and rain protection is a good idea, as are sunglasses.

I ALWAYS wear a hat and sunglasses when I'm on the trail. I did throw my extra glasses (in hard case) in though.

Cell phones are good, cell phones with gps are better (but more expensive). Don't forget good old change and a calling card in case the phone dies and you happen upon a payphone (or a vending machine). Carry a battery charger for your phone and put your phone in a waterproof sack so it is less likely to die.

Added a few quartes and put the phone in a waterproof bag. Thanks!

A pad and pencil can be good, both for messaging, and to remind you what you used and didn't use, or wish you had brought.

Good idea. Thanks!

Some needle, thread, super glue (be careful with glue, it leaks), and safety pins can be handy for blowouts in gear or clothing, and add little to bulk or weight. A deck of cards can help with the boredom of waiting, and help distract the mind.

Nice. Thanks!

Hope you find this helpful,
Crowe

Indeed! Thanks!
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/06/11 03:05 PM

This is a great post with outstanding feedback.

Earlier you mentioned the SPOT 2. I like that idea. Especially if you came across an injured hiker on the trail.

I always take a GPS. As far as a compass goes, the Silva Ranger is my favorite.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/06/11 06:05 PM

What is your clothing set-up?

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/06/11 09:31 PM

What is your clothing set-up?

Right now we're into hot summer days and warm summer nights, that are perfect for sleeping. Soon the nights will be hot for a few weeks too. We've gotten a lot of rain this year. By September, the cooler weather should be back.

We always socks, long pants and LS shirts, which can zip-off or roll up, with an undershirt so the shirt can be removed. Rain jackets are always with us and we wear good solid hiking footwear.

In the cooler and cold months, we change it up to heavier, warmer clothes, heavier rain and winter gear, and more laters.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/06/11 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
This is a great post with outstanding feedback.

Earlier you mentioned the SPOT 2. I like that idea. Especially if you came across an injured hiker on the trail.

I always take a GPS. As far as a compass goes, the Silva Ranger is my favorite.

Thanks so much Outdoor_Quest!

A GPS is on my Christmas wish list!

It drived my husband crazy that I think about things like running into an injured hiker. Nice to meet someone like-minded. smile

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/06/11 10:00 PM

It has happened to me. Not a really common occurrence, but it is worth considering. We were able to make a considerable difference - the victim was in the hospital within two hours instead of at least eight hours that would have been normal.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/06/11 11:12 PM

It's happened to me too Hikermor that's why it's always in the back of my mind.

Glad you were there to help!
Posted by: duckear

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 04:13 AM

Ditch the FAK.
Duct tape,toilet paper,some ibuprofen, and benadryl for a day hike is plenty.

Get a combo bug and sunscreen lotion and repackage in a small bottle.

Dump two sharps for a SAK with saw like a Victorinox Camper or Farmer

Dump heavy wool blanket for USGI woobie or even better, a Kifaru one.

Add some Sliver grippers or equivalent for ticks and splinters.

Add a needle. Very useful.

Get a Zebralight single AA headlight. Great light.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By: duckear
Ditch the FAK.

Ditch the PSK, too?

What happened to "equipped to survive"?

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 11:42 AM

Ditch the FAK.

This is the kind of thinking that gets you into trouble. you don't need a huge FAK, but "just a day hike" can still lead to serious injuries. I have seen and treated lots and lots of examples.

Some kinds of terrain can produce more injuries than others, as can some activities. perhaps that is a better way to go about your planning. i am a great fan of elastic bandages, some serious sterile bandages, and the ability to improvise (bandannas are great). Most important is your training, which is weightless....

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 03:53 PM

My daypack FAK is the AMK 0.7 (I think). It's fairly robust for the bumps and bruise category. I added in an older USGI trauma bandage (prior to the Israeli bandage being standard issue). I typically have a triangle bandage too - this thing is likely Vietnam era, cotton, been with me at least 20 years as my "do everything" rag. Honestly, it's an amazing piece of kit. Bandage, compress, strap, bandana for nose or on my head for a hat, wet it down when hiking and throw over my neck, kleenex, pot holder... those are what I've used it for just what I can think of right now. Anyway, back on track, the 0.7 is in a great bag that just barely squeezes in that trauma dressing. I think I have a 3" ACE wrap in it too, but can't remember, and it's only sitting about 12K miles away right now.

Anyway, if you want to discuss pro's/con's of some FAK items, feel free to PM me. Might take me a couple days to get back, but I'm a total first aid kit-[censored]. I have one in my truck, one in my garage, 2 backpacking kits (the 0.7 and one built into the old USGI plastic kit), and 2 sitting under my bunk right now a foot away. Not to mention my issue IFAK. Believe me, I know gauze...
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 05:06 PM

I fight an unending battle against over-packing.

I've been repacking today and have come up with this set-up. This kit is intended only for day hikes and unplanned overnights, not camping and not trips where we share pavement with the parking lot. We often go on unplanned hikes. The kit lives in the trunk of my car for just such an occasion. We're in South Eastern Ontario, and don't spontaneously venture farther than about an hour or so drive from some sort of civilization.

What are your thoughts?

There is nothing wrong with having a large kit with you in the trunk for those unplanned trips. However, what you should get into the habit of is resorting out your requirements when you get to the trail head. Take 15 min. and start cutting the items that you most likely will NOT require on say an day hike. If the weather is good, cut back a bit on the rain gear. If you know the area you are hiking in then taylor your backpack to fit your excursion.

If you are just going with a day hike then cut things down to about 15 lbs, water and snack included. Or max 20 lbs if inclement weather is expected. It is about managing risk. If the terrain is moderate and weather good and you are with 1 or 2 other people then the requirements are light. If you are going to do a long day hike on tough terrain with the reasonable possibility of an overnight then add extra items to the kit in case you need to bivy.

I think I read somewhere in this thread that someone advocated abandoning sunscreen as if Southern Ontario/Canada doesn't get strong UV rays! I have some choice words for that kind of stupidity but I will let that pass for now. I've hiked in the area around Huntsville and it is very easy to get an 8/9 on the UV scale of 10 in that region on a sunny summer day and even a 10 if you are on water. A 50spf sunscreen if a NECESSITY when you are out in the open.

For day hikes, I would go without some of the redundancy on your list. AND it looks like you've edited your message and trimmed it down. A number of other people have commented and have given good advice.

My day hiking kit is lightweight ~10 lbs before water/snack and is basically my EDC and daypack with only slight modifications. If the hike is really short then I would cut back further.
Spyderco Salt1 pocket knife
Keys
Micro-carabiner with Leatherman Squirt S4, P-38 can opener, Micro ferrocium rod, Photon Freedom microlight
Pencil, space pen
Smart phone
Fenix P3D flashlight
Leather gloves
Survival kit (modified AMK psk)
First aid kit (meds included benadryl,lotradine,loperamide hydrochloride, ASA, Tums)
Plastic trowel & 1 use tp in handle
Sunglasses
Sunscreen, bug repellent (sample sizes)
WMA Wilderness Medicine field guide
Storm butane lighter
20' duct tape wrapped on plastic card
Fox-40 whistle
Suunto Compass
Map of area
GPS (Garmin 62s) /w attachment clips
Geocaching related stuff
Camera /w extra AA batteries
Leatherman wave /w bit kit (often deleted)
Rain jacket
Notebook
3-litre Platypus hydration bladder & tube
8X25 binoculars (often deleted)
Tilley hat /w comb in hidden pocket
Sil-nylon tarp shelter
Hiking pole
I sprayed my pack, hat and outdoor clothes with permethrin.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

I think I read somewhere in this thread that someone advocated abandoning sunscreen as if Southern Ontario/Canada doesn't get strong UV rays! I have some choice words for that kind of stupidity but I will let that pass for now. I've hiked in the area around Huntsville and it is very easy to get an 8/9 on the UV scale of 10 in that region on a sunny summer day and even a 10 if you are on water. A 50spf sunscreen if a NECESSITY when you are out in the open.

Although I don't live in Ontario, rather on the west coast of Canada and I could not agree more with this. I spent most of my life NOT wearing sunscreen and have paid dearly, medically wise for it. These at times, extremely painful treatments will continue for the rest of my life. Nowadays, every one of my kits, packs, vehicles, work bags, have a tube of sunscreen in them so there is no excuse for me for not wearing it.
Posted by: duckear

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Ditch the FAK.

This is the kind of thinking that gets you into trouble. you don't need a huge FAK, but "just a day hike" can still lead to serious injuries. I have seen and treated lots and lots of examples.

Some kinds of terrain can produce more injuries than others, as can some activities. perhaps that is a better way to go about your planning. i am a great fan of elastic bandages, some serious sterile bandages, and the ability to improvise (bandannas are great). Most important is your training, which is weightless....

Yeah, I said ditch the FAK.

Apparently many of yall have no idea what a .5 AMK FAK contains while defending it.

From the AMK website:

The Adventure First Aid .5 contains basic supplies to treat cuts & scrapes, insect bites, and blisters.

Bandage Materials
10 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
1 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 2" x 4.5"
2 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
2 Bandage, Butterfly Closure
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2

Medication
1 After Bite Wipe

Survival Tools
1 Mini Rescue Howler Whistle

Wound Care
6 Antimicrobial Towelette

So, what exactly is so much better about the FAK he is carrying for a day hike vs just using what he already has, ie duct tape, TP, and bandanas?

For day hikes, most folks are better off with meds and improvising any needed bandages. I can cover a wound with TP and a bit of tape. Can you make Motrin or Benadryl?

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 08:56 PM

Well, to each his own...How sterile is your TP?

There are items in the cited FAK I do not bother with -like the knuckle bandages and the butterfly closures. The remainder does not weigh all that much (and I am a bit of lightweight fanatic - see some of my prior posts).

The point i would make is that your FAK should be tailored to the terrain, the enterprise, and the weather/environment. Your FAK for a day's rock climbing would vary substantially from what one might carry on a hike down a one mile long nature trail, or for what one might carry on a long bike ride.

I cannot make Motrin or Benadryl which is just fine because I have never needed those preparations, either for myself or for any of numerous victims I have attended over the years.

Improvisation is key, naturally, as is training and experience. We once made a dandy cervical collar out of a blue foam pad and tape (medical, not duct) when we encountered a victim of some nasty rockfall while on a nice routine climb. Medically sterile dressings can be produced in the field, but one rarely has the luxury of time to undertake the process. It is ever so much better to whip them out form your FAK.

I have resorted to my FAK often enough, in enough varied circumstances, that I am seldom without a FAK.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 09:17 PM

Another consideration is that the most experienced medical person, and the one most able to improvise, might be the one who is sick or injured. I like simplicity but when it comes to first aid, I want things ad easy and ad straight-forwas as possible.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/10/11 10:49 PM

bacpacjac, all the above being written and digested, what has survived to make a spot on your list?

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/11/11 12:12 AM

bacpacjac, all the above being written and digested, what has survived to make a spot on your list?

Here it is, Deweste, with your input strongly considered. Reminder that this my summer pack for long day hikes and impromptu overnights, either alone, with DS and DH, or Beaver/Cub Scouts:

ON-BODY (modified EDC & layard)
-paracord (2 ft) necklace with photon
-Leatherman Kick with AAA mag and mini key fob with 4 strike anywhere matches (in LM sheath)
-Ritter PSK with added mini bic, SAK Spartan, extra duct tape, extra nylon cord, mylar blanket and bandana

NAVIGATION
-Local maps in small Coglan's map case
-Silva compass

LIGHT
-LED headlamp & 1 set extra batteries

FIRST AID
-AMK .7 FAK with 2 maxi pads, tiny bottle of purelle, 1 triangular, 1 bandana
-OTC Meds: Tylenol, adult & childrens Benedryl, chewable immodium

SHARPS
-Sierra saw
(SAK in PSK, LM on belt)

SHELTER
-disposable rain poncho
-lightweight hand-knit wool blanket
-2-person heat sheet

WATER/FOOD
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-3 packs instant hot chocolate (perfect amount for large KK)
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-2 cliff bars

FIRE
-Butane lighter
-small pill vial with cotton balls soaked in vaseline

MISC
-small spray can bug juice
-small spray can suncreen
-lip balm
-toilet paper (about 1/4 of a regular 1ply roll, inner cardboard tube removed)
-travel size pack of baby wipes
-cel phone (non-activated, with SIM card for 911 only)
-bear bell
-small air horn
-extra prescription glasses in hard case

This is combined with hat, sunglasses, watch, undershirt, lightweight LS shirt, long pants, sock and hiking boots or shoes.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/11/11 12:46 AM

My apologies gang. The AMK FAK in this pack is a .7, not a .5. I got them mixed up. My apologies!

I carry the .5 in my fanny pack kit for short hikes and other close-to-the pavement adventures. This kit is essentially a glorified FAK, and simply has:

-AMK .5 FAK
-mylar blanket
-LED head light
-small bottle of purelle
-bandana
-1.5 ltr SS water bottle
-small bottles bug juice and sunscreen

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/11/11 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

what you should get into the habit of is resorting out your requirements when you get to the trail head. Take 15 min. and start cutting the items that you most likely will NOT require on say an day hike. If the weather is good, cut back a bit on the rain gear. If you know the area you are hiking in then taylor your backpack.
]

Great suggestion! Thanks Roar.

[quote=RoarmeisterA 50spf sunscreen if a NECESSITY when you are out in the open. [/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more!

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/11/11 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Although I don't live in Ontario, rather on the west coast of Canada, I could not agree more with this. I spent most of my life NOT wearing sunscreen and have paid dearly, medically wise for it. These at times, extremely painful treatments will continue for the rest of my life. Nowadays, every one of my kits, packs, vehicles, work bags, have a tube of sunscreen in them so there is no excuse for me for not wearing it.

I'm sorry to hear that Teslinhiker. frown My Dad is in a similar situation so I don't take chances with it for myself or my son.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/11/11 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
It has happened to me.

Me too. I've 'rescued' a number of others, or at least prevented their need for rescue. Never had to do it for myself yet.

I print custom topo maps for my trips and I always bring a spare since The Map is so important. At least 3 times over the last few years I have given a map away to a poor soul I came across who didn't bring one. Of course, if they didn't bring a map, they probably can't read a map too well either, but I try to help with a 5 minute crash course.

or even better, a Kifaru one.

+100! The Kifaru is pricey but so well designed.

Get a Zebralight single AA headlight. Great light.

+101! Few people who are not flashlight geeks know about Zebras. Superb lights. I use an AA model with the spot beam. So light, so compact, and so effective.

Great ideas from you guys on FAK components. I would submit that with some duct tape, a 3" ACE wrap, and a PriMed gauze pack you can do a lot of good things. It's a very versatile trio.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/18/11 04:09 AM

Figured I'd bring this back, since I just recently got to put my overnight pack all back together for the summer time.

I think I got it back to how I want it. List:

-Camelbak (with micropur mp-1 tablets stuffed in with the bladder)
-roll of orange electrical tape
-hat
-change of clothes
-self-inflating sleeping pad
-snacks/food
-basic first aid kit (moleskin, sterile pads, band-aids, tweezers, cold compress)
-Pocket Rocket stove and canister
-MSR pot
-paracord
-toilet paper
-55 gal trash bag/heatsheats blanket
-monocular (which sometimes gets swapped for a camera with zoom capability)
-multitool
-headlamp
-spare batteries
-bandanna
-gloves
-mini-bic
-ferro-rod
-GPS
-map of the trail system
-Gerber brushhook
-my jacket (not pictured)

Weight as pictured is 15lbs (with a full water bladder).

I'll add some more food, maybe a bottle of water just to have a bit more, and it should be good for some nice comfortable back-country camping. Usually I like to do a hike in, camp over night, hike out; but, I have gone longer with more food packed and access to good water.

Re: Hiking Kit Help - 07/23/11 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul810
Figured I'd bring this back, since I just recently got to put my overnight pack all back together for the summer time.

-Camelbak (with micropur mp-1 tablets stuffed in with the bladder)
-roll of orange electrical tape
-hat
-change of clothes
-snacks/food
-basic first aid kit (moleskin, sterile pads, band-aids, tweezers, cold compress)
-Pocket Rocket stove and canister
-MSR pot
-paracord
-toilet paper
-55 gal trash bag/heatsheats blanket
-monocular (which sometimes gets swapped for a camera with zoom capability)
-multitool
-headlamp
-spare batteries
-bandanna
-gloves
-mini-bic
-ferro-rod
-GPS
-map of the trail system
-Gerber brushhook
-my jacket (not pictured)

Nice kit Paul! Thanks for sharing it.

I think I'd add these too if I was going on a planned summer overnighter:

-change of clothes (I carry a cofc outside the summer month but not with this intense heat we're having right now)
-pocket stove and canister