Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig

Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/01/11 09:44 PM

I haven't found any threads talking about this specifically. What items would you carry in a ditch bag for a 4x4 rig while out on the trail? Most of my trips take me 20 to 30 miles or more off pavement and I usually stay out for 5 to 7 days at a time. I have all the gear you'd need to stay out on the trails for many weeks, but what if my rig was destroyed and I'm standing there looking at a burned out rig?

I usually wear either short or long pants that have cargo pockets and I carry a small PSK in an Altoids tin in one of the cargo pockets and I have a pocket knife. I also have a small backpack that I always keep near the driver's seat or in the tent that contains another PSK along with other survival items and I call this backpack my ditch bag.

The two most common scenarios I'm planning against are fire and flood. If I'm crossing a stream and all of a sudden my rig starts to get swept into deeper water, then the worst case is that I escape with just the PSK in my pocket and my pocket knife. Next best case would be that I can grab my ditch bag on the way out. Same goes if I were to have an engine fire or gas tank fire.

One of the main considerations is that a loss of a 4x4 vehicle will obviously occur on a trail and I can walk out following the trail back to pavement - I think that makes my requirements a bit different than many other general purpose kits.

Right now my ditch bag is just a cheap school size backpack and it has a GPS, a PLB, a sat phone, a small solar charger, a nalgene quart bottle of water, an Altoids tin PSK, magnesium fire starter/steel, some tender, first aid kit, signal mirror, MSR water filter, 4 liter dry bag, 1 liter dry bag, lightweight jacket, about 10 snack bars, small fishing kit, maps, compass, 2 rolls survey tape, small roll of duct tape, flashlight, extra batteries, headlight, a couple of emergency blankets, 50' paracord, some 30 gal. trash bags, stainless canteen cup, 6'x9' poly tarp, pocket knife, bug repellent, 2 new Bic lighters, lightweight walking shoes, socks, a hat, handgun and ammo, some cash, a bit of gold (I'm a prospector) and my point and shoot camera.

I don't trail ride in the winter but in late fall or early spring I do throw in a heavy wool sweater.

The shoes are on the list because I often wear sandals while wheeling and would need shoes to walk out to pavement. The camera is on the list because I use the camera on and off all day long - every day - and this is the item that forces me to keep the ditch bag next to me at all times.

My main questions are: What would you carry in the ditch bag that is specific for the 4x4 community and where would you keep the ditch bag while driving - where it can be grabbed quickly in case of a fire or flood?

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/01/11 10:32 PM

Quote:
Right now my ditch bag is just a cheap school size backpack and it has a GPS, a PLB, a sat phone, a small solar charger, a nalgene quart bottle of water, an Altoids tin PSK, magnesium fire starter/steel, some tender, first aid kit, signal mirror, MSR water filter, 4 liter dry bag, 1 liter dry bag, lightweight jacket, about 10 snack bars, small fishing kit, maps, compass, 2 rolls survey tape, small roll of duct tape, flashlight, extra batteries, headlight, a couple of emergency blankets, 50' paracord, some 30 gal. trash bags, stainless canteen cup, 6'x9' poly tarp, pocket knife, bug repellent, 2 new Bic lighters, lightweight walking shoes, socks, a hat, handgun and ammo, some cash, a bit of gold (I'm a prospector) and my point and shoot camera.

Looks like you have a well sorted out ditch kit already. The only things I would add would be a Thermarest Neoair pad, a tea/coffee kit, perhaps a Goretex Bivvi Bag and a Bacho Laplander saw (to add larger cut logs to a fire) and some leather work gloves and bug head net, whilst you wait out a rescue or even self rescue.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/01/11 10:36 PM

PLB
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/01/11 10:42 PM

Nice kit! I might add some more shelter components (Bivy, heatsheets, rope, blanket/sleeping bag, mattress, etc.), a saw or hatchet, and something to boil along with water, like tea/coffee/hot choc/broth.

I'd also consider the sun and the bugs. Bug juice, netting, sunscreen and/or long pants/sleeves might be a welcome addition while waiting for rescue or self-rescuing.

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/01/11 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
PLB

I have a McMurdo FastFind 210 and it's on the list I posted. A friend of mine recommended that I carry the PLB in my other cargo pocket so I always have the PLB even if I can't get to the ditch bag. I'm leaning towards that advice - just have to figure out how to keep the PLB protected from every day bumps so it isn't damaged.

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/01/11 11:00 PM

BTW, Welcome to the forum Nugget. Great post!
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/02/11 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
Originally Posted By: Russ
PLB

I have a McMurdo FastFind 210 and it's on the list I posted. A friend of mine recommended that I carry the PLB in my other cargo pocket so I always have the PLB even if I can't get to the ditch bag. I'm leaning towards that advice - just have to figure out how to keep the PLB protected from every day bumps so it isn't damaged.

Good advice. If it isn't with you, it can't save you.™ The PLB will be fine in a pocket to withstand "every day bumps." It isn't fragile, though also not bomb proof. Want to cushion it, stick it in a neoprene cell-phone pouch.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/02/11 04:01 AM

Well, not to be a smart-a$$, but if you're planning for an engine fire, do you have a fire extinguisher?

Your kit looks pretty good already. Ditto a little better shelter. But 20-3 miles is a very do-able 1-2 day trek with a light pack - assuming decent weather. I'd add a 2nd quart of water and maybe some way to purify more, since it's amazing how fast that can go on a hot day.

I'd worry more about where the kit is located - next to you, but is it strapped down? Ie, if you start rolling, will it end up in wedged under a chair somewhere where you can't get it? If you keep it strapped to your truck bed (roll bar?) can you get to it easily?

Personally, I don't think I'd off-road in sandals, but its your call. Maybe make a habit of wearing pants instead of shorts (or maybe the zip-off pants, and keep the legs in your bag) for a little better protection.

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/02/11 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Well, not to be a smart-a$$, but if you're planning for an engine fire, do you have a fire extinguisher?

Yes, I have a fire extinguisher. I drive a Jeep Wrangler and they have a pretty high fire potential. It has to do with wheeling in 4Lo for long periods - the transmission overheats and leaks hot tranny fluid onto the catalytic converter. It consumes the entire Jeep in 5 minutes and it's so common that there is currently a push for a recall. I installed a tranny cooler to alleviate the problem, but the potential is still there.

I'd worry more about where the kit is located - next to you, but is it strapped down? Ie, if you start rolling, will it end up in wedged under a chair somewhere where you can't get it? If you keep it strapped to your truck bed (roll bar?) can you get to it easily?

I agree. The best suggestion I've heard so far is to incorporate some snaps into the pack and secure the other half of the snaps to the front passenger floor area. If the Jeep overturns, you still know where to grab the bag from, and it can be yanked from the snaps with a hard pull.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/02/11 12:01 PM

Pretty well set up - gloves might be worth considering and i would switch the pocket knife for a light fixed blade (like a mora) - AFLMs saw suggestion is pretty good as well

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/02/11 12:30 PM

Personally, I don't think I'd off-road in sandals, but its your call. Maybe make a habit of wearing pants instead of shorts (or maybe the zip-off pants, and keep the legs in your bag) for a little better protection.

Good point. Is the area you're off-roading prone to snakes, scorpions, poison ivy, or general biting/stinging stuff? If so, boots may be a better option, and I'd definitely vote for long pants.

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/02/11 05:32 PM

I'm curious - do you 4X4 like I portage, taking everything with you, or do you set-up a base camp and make day trips?

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/02/11 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I'm curious - do you 4X4 like I portage, taking everything with you, or do you set-up a base camp and make day trips?

A little of both. My last trip to the Smokies I set up a base camp and then explored the local area for a week. On a recent trip to the Grand Canyon, on the other hand, I moved 5 to 10 miles every night as I worked my way along the north rim. I'm gearing up for a trip to Alaska and I'll probably be moving every night since Alaska is a big place and I want to see more of it in the time available.
Posted by: Leo

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 03:05 AM

One of the things we learned in Iraq is that when a vehicle gets hit nothing gets out that isn't attached to you. Same applies for when the first clue that your rig is on fire is when you feel a burning sensation on the back of your neck. I suggest carrying as much gear as possible in your pockets and on your belt.
For when time allows a more orderly egress I include an empty large back pack. If I have to walk out I can gather up what I think I will need based on the current circumstances.
leo
Posted by: sotto

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 03:30 AM

You have a sat phone, right? And a least one GPS. Do you not have any friends with a 4WD vehicle who would be willing to drive the 20-30 miles to pick you up if you gave them a call and offered them a prime rib dinner and all the beer they could drink?

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: sotto
You have a sat phone, right? And a least one GPS. Do you not have any friends with a 4WD vehicle who would be willing to drive the 20-30 miles to pick you up if you gave them a call and offered them a prime rib dinner and all the beer they could drink?

I'm retired so I can go on some long trips. I live in Kentucky but I range all over North America and a typical trip will be at least 3 to 4 weeks or longer and I oftentimes end up 30 miles or more from the nearest pavement - sometimes much further. My upcoming trip will be a 4 month trip up through the Yukon to Alaska and back.
Posted by: ChicagoCraig

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 05:54 AM

Right now my ditch bag is just a cheap school size backpack and it has a GPS, a PLB, a sat phone...

What about adding a cook stove? Something like an MSR Reactor or JetBoil? Can the stainless canteen cup balance on a stove? If so perhaps a smaller stove would work. Seems like it would be quicker and easier to boil water and cook with a stove then building a fire. Also what model is the sat phone?

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 06:25 AM

Originally Posted By: ChicagoCraig
What about adding a cook stove? Something like an MSR Reactor or JetBoil? Can the stainless canteen cup balance on a stove? If so perhaps a smaller stove would work. Seems like it would be quicker and easier to boil water and cook with a stove then building a fire. Also what model is the sat phone?

I have an Esbit pocket stove in my hiking backpack that I could move to my ditch bag.

My sat phone is an Iridium 9555.

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 07:13 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I am going to start carrying the PLB in a pants pocket with a neoprene cell phone protector. The advice on shoes is good. I really shouldn't be wheeling in sandals. I'm going to try to incorporate the other suggestions as well like better shelter and a saw. There were several other good suggestions but I already have those items in my bag now, like a water purifier.

The advice about Iraq and keeping more items on my person has definitely made me rethink some of this. I'm going to try to figure out how to make the best use of the two cargo pockets that are in all the pants I wear while wheeling. I'm thinking now that I should drop the altoids PSK I carry and substitute a bigger PSK. I could dedicate one whole pocket to a bigger PSK that covers the water_filter/food/shelter/firstaid categories, and the other pocket dedicated to holding navigation and signaling equipment (compass/PLB/maps/mirror). I'm going to need a heavier duty belt by the time I'm done! I already carry a large pocket knife on my belt all the time, but I could easily add the GPS and it's holster to my belt as well. I just need to figure out how to keep everything very compact and not bulging out my cargo pockets too far.

The sat phone is too fragile to carry in a cargo pocket and there are other items I'd like to have close by, like the mini solar panel, extra clothing, and firearm so I'll still need to have a ditch bag nearby.

Does anyone have any opinions on a Level III Molle backpack? I already own one of these, and I'm thinking I'll move everything from the cheap schoolkids backpack I use now to this bigger backpack. Here's the one I have... http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE702-1.html

Please keep the suggestions coming. Great stuff so far.

I'm also still struggling with the best method of where to store the bag where it is held securely, yet I can grab it quickly. I have a laptop I use for topo maps and it's mounted over the passenger seat but the front passenger floor is open and easily reachable from the driver's seat. The passenger seat upright is also open (the place where a passengers back would touch the passenger seat). That might be an even faster spot to retrieve from than the passenger floor but I can't picture exactly how I'd mount it.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 10:09 AM

If you have to carry any of your gear any distance, there are many commercially available backpacks that are infinitely more comfortable, like the REI Flash 60. They are also quite durable.

You might consider carry some of your gear in a waistpack. I have the same problem with heavily loaded cargo pockets and lots of stuff hanging on the belt. We should probably wear suspenders like Grandpa did.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 11:23 AM

Not specifically a bug out bag, but here's some of the 'emergencies' that I have run into while in a 4x4 in the woods and what I needed:

1. a stick on the trail rocked up from underneath my truck and broke my fanbelt (yes, even with my factory installed skidplates). Needed a spare fanbelt and hand tools
2. Sharp rock lacerated my fuel tank, needed a sheet metal screw,a washer, a screw driver, and a rubber patch...used a slice of rubber off of the sole of my shoe
3. got high-centered on a concrete firetower pylon concealed in high grass (long story). Needed high lift jack with proper attachments for the vehicle, and some logs for under the wheels.
4. got stuck in backwoods river mud. Needed a hatchet and a jack to cut brush for a base for the tires.
5. tree fell across the backwoods tote road trail in a sudden windstorm. Needed a bowsaw and a tow strap to drag the tree to get out
6. flat tire while parked in a clearing and I was out on a trail. Needed spare and a means for soft-surface jacking.

If you are going to spend a lot of time in the backcountry you should have some robust tools in addition to your survival equipment:

a real shovel (not a little one)
axe, machete, and bowsaw
spare fuses, hoses (esp. lower radiator) and fanbelts
Hi-Lift jack with cover, mount, and proper accessories for your vehicle
heavy nylon snatch strap
good quality lever winch (come-along) or if you have the means, a receiver-mounted winch and a 2" receiver installed in the front and back

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Leo
One of the things we learned in Iraq is that when a vehicle gets hit nothing gets out that isn't attached to you. . . .
I agree with Leo; prioritize your gear; critical items should be on person.

Carrying the PLB in your pocket is a great start. Not everything is critical, but a small kit with an ability to signal for help, start a fire and provide a minimal shelter should be doable. The ditch kit can carry the rest if you have time to grab it.

Now that you are in shoes -- Smartwool socks (REI.com, Backcountry.com, campmor.com ... et al) and Smartwool liners. One set on your feet, and a clean, dry set in the kit. When you need to walk distance, good shoes and socks rule.

$.02

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 01:28 PM

I really like my Kelty Redwing backpack.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=kelty+redwing+backpack&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1731160766756873620&sa=X&ei=PXwQTpWEMI-KhQe0vMjqDQ&ved=0CG4Q8wIwAw

Big enough for a 3-day bag, actually rides well, I think it's well organized and reasonable at about $60. One of my medics uses that Molle 3 and it seems OK, but maybe a smidge small. Then again, I tend to pack a bit... smile

If you're planning a trip up to AK, check out expeditionportal.com Probably better suited in some ways to your trip; there are several after action reports on people driving through the state.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 03:53 PM

We have been doing similar back country travel for years. Only we have a lance pick-up camper on a 1 ton 4x4.

I found that the only way I could carry enough stuff on my person is by using a mollie vest. It is comfortable to drive in, easy to put on and take off and most important, I can put the pockets where I want them.

It took me awhile to work out a suitable configuration for my situation. I change it a bit now and then as situations change but mostly it works just fine.

I carry a PLB, Driod, Pistol (as needed), knife, small tool set, survival gear, water, food and assorted other stuff. I have several pouches that I can add when doing specific tasks.

When I go for even a short walk, I stuff some items in pouches that I keep empty when in the vehicle.

The vest cost about $12 at a surplus store someplace. However the pouches run $8-15 and I have a whole bunch, so the cost does accumulate. The vest alone has no pouches, just the web attachment system. It adjusts to any size and has no back, and mesh front panels so it is comfortable to wear even in desert heat.

The trick is not to try to carry too much stuff. But because it is modular, one can keep adjusting the load until it is comfortable and efficient.

Nomad
Posted by: ChicagoCraig

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 03:55 PM

My sat phone is an Iridium 9555.

Phone number to sat phone entered into your PLB registration record?

Any risk of it getting wet? Perhaps something water tight to put it into? Extra Battery?

A few things I do with my sat phone are program emergency contact numbers into the phone's phonebook and perform a monthly test call to make sure phone is in working order. Free Iridium test call number is: 1-480-752-5105. Check for and apply latest firmware update? I think the lastest is HT10017.

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 04:36 PM

My idea of a container for a ditch kit is: SwitlikAir Crew vest. You don't necessarily get to pick where the ditch happens -- it might be in a river.

Additional gear can be kept in a dry bag.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/03/11 09:58 PM

Welcome to the forum and great first post.

Most of the others have already gave some good suggestions and your kit contents are very similar to mine for off-road /remote areas. The one thing I would recommend is another water bottle and also pen/pencil and small notebook.

We just returned from a weekend trip that took us over a 100 km (60 miles) from the nearest town (I'll do a separate post on this later.)

While traveling by vehicle or on foot, I keep extensive notes on weather, terrain, GPS coordinates of off road / trail crossings, (including elevation) etc in a small notebook and on the map(s). If we come by major creeks and rivers, I make note of the water, specifically if it is drinkable or not as right now with summer snow melt from the mountains, many of these waterways are so clogged with sediment that water filters will not last long at all. I also keep track of water usage, for example, I recorded 6 liters of drinkable water consumed on Saturday for 2 people.

In the event of injury or vehicle breakdown, having these notes could help in any number of methods if we are forced to wait for help (PLB equipped) or walk out.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/04/11 08:04 PM

Welcome to ETS!

I'd suggest that you carry a PSK (personal survival kit) on your person. Mine is a Doug Ritter PSP+ with a mini-Bic (secured with a cable tie) and a 2-person Heatsheets. Your knife and pistol (if you're carrying one) should also be on-body.

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/05/11 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Welcome to ETS!

I'd suggest that you carry a PSK (personal survival kit) on your person. Mine is a Doug Ritter PSP+ with a mini-Bic (secured with a cable tie) and a 2-person Heatsheets. Your knife and pistol (if you're carrying one) should also be on-body.

Preferably in a location that's not going to REALLY hurt if you roll. Ie, on a hip or in a crotch pocket.

The military puts us through a "roll-over" trainer for the Hum-vees and other things. Really fun when the M4 whacks you in the face.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/20/11 06:20 AM

You could consider duplicating some of the equipment in your kit. Have your main kit in the front with you, have a secondary (partially duplicated) kit stored in the back of the vehicle, near the tail gate.

From what I’ve read, some fires start under the engine (or exhaust), even after the vehicle has stopped. Sometimes people have a few seconds to open the back of the vehicle and grab a few items before the vehicle is engulfed, so it may be worth having a small bag there too ? When we travel I have the SPOT in the front and the Sat Phone in the back, in the event of a collision or a theft, hopefully we would not lose both.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/20/11 10:30 AM

THREE very strong suggestions:

1)Drive a diesel powered truck. Diesel does not burn the way petrol does.
2)Store an extinguisher on the OUTSIDE of the truck.
3) Give serious consideration to storing everything that is vital in a flood and fire-rated container. So that if the truck does drown/burn you have a much better chance of recovering your gear.

Sorry: Make that FOUR suggestions:

4) Attend a fire fighting course and learn how to use an extinguisher properly. I have actually watched a bloke try to put an engine fire out and fail, because he did not use it properly. He kept on using it in short bursts and ran out of suppressant. If he had given it the whole load in one substained burst, he would still have a car.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/20/11 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
THREE very strong suggestions:

1)Drive a diesel powered truck.

That's easier said than done in the states. blush
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/29/11 05:21 AM

Hi NuggetHoarder, and welcome from one 4WD'er to another.

Sounds like you have a JK, as I do. So let me start by making a few suggestions for your rig if you haven't already done so:
  1. Add an auxiliary cooler to keep the transmission from overheating.
  2. Add an auxiliary cooler to keep your power steering fluid from overheating
  3. Replace the stock radiator fan/shroud for better general cooling (~$300, jkowners.com write-up).
  4. Cut/Remove the front inner-fender liners and/or add vents to the hood to improve low-speed cooling performance.
  5. Add the three critical gauges Jeep omitted from the JK:
    • Engine Oil Pressure (requires spin-on oil-filter adapter and gauge/sender combo)
    • Transmission Oil Temperature (install the sensor in the transmission oil pan)
    • Battery Voltage
  6. Skid plates: add an engine/oil-pan skid; consider replacing the weak OEM skids for transmission, transfer-case and fuel tank.
  7. Extend your axle, transfer-case and transmission breather hoses to clear deep water
  8. Consider a dual-battery setup using high-capacity deep-cycle/starting batteries and an automatic isolation circuit that will disconnect your starting battery before it discharges too low to start the engine (about 11.2V for the JK).
  9. If you are crossing water deep enough to be concerned of getting washed-away, you should consider a snorkel (if you don't already have one) or know the procedure for dealing with a hydrolocked engine (look for two posts from BumpInTheRoad in this thread)

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/29/11 05:36 AM

I assume since you are an experienced solo expedition-style off-roader, you have the proper recovery gear, tools, spare parts and fluids stored securely in your rig to deal with most trail disasters. But for the benefit of any novices who come across this thread:

Recovery Gear
  • Frame-tied recovery points (tow hooks, rings or d-shackle tabs)
  • Quality Winch or Come-Along, 2X capacity of your loaded vehicle
  • Winch extension cable/rope (can also be used to replace broken primary line)
  • Winch line safety weight (can use a heavy blanket, towel or jacket)
  • Snatch block, 2x tree saver straps, 3x 3/4", 4.75+ ton WLL d-shackles
  • Full-size shovel (not a cheap folding shovel)
  • 20"+ folding bow saw (or 12"+ chain saw)
  • Hi-Lift Jack or similar farm jack
  • Jack platform for use in loose soil/sand/snow (12"x12"x3/4" plywood works)
  • Sand ladders (if appropriate)
  • Leather work gloves
  • Two fire extinguishers: a 2.5-pound unit mounted within driver's reach (outside of seat bracket is a good place) and 5-pound unit mounted in the rear. Use secure metal retaining brackets or quick-release brackets.

Spare Parts and Fluids
  • 1x Gallon anti-freeze (concentrated, not pre-mixed)
  • 5x Quarts engine oil (can run 1 quart low in an emergency)
  • 7x Quarts transmission oil (trans, transfer case, power steering)
  • 2x Quarts gear oil (differentials)
  • 1x Quart brake fluid
  • 5x Gallons (minimum) potable water (in addition to appropriate drinking supply)
  • 2x Plastic clips for JK transfer-case linkage
  • 12x Plastic JK fender clips
  • Serpentine Belt
  • Upper and lower radiator hoses
  • 2x Wheel studs and lug nuts
  • 2x Brake caliper bolts
  • Drive shaft U-Joint
  • Axle shaft U-Joint
  • Minimum 12-feet each of 18, 14, 12 and 10-AWG insulated, stranded wire.
  • Spare air hose and connectors if using air lockers
  • 2-feet each 3/16" and 3/8" high pressure hose
  • Assorted crimp-on electrical connectors
  • Assorted heat-shrink, adhesive-lined tubing
  • Assorted wire zip-ties
  • Spare headlight, turn/brake-light, and aux light bulbs
  • Spare fuses
  • Assorted pipe clamps
  • 2x 3" exhaust pipe clamps
  • Assorted screws, bolts and nuts
  • 6x spark plugs
  • 2x Spare valve stems and cores
  • Super-Seal Emergency Repair Tape
  • Duct Tape
  • JB Weld
  • RTV gasket/sealant

Now we get to the big items, which you need to decide risk vs. cost/weight
  • Front and rear drive shafts
  • Front inner- and outer- axle shafts
  • Rear axle shaft
  • Water pump
  • Starter
  • Alternator
  • Engine cooling fan

Tools
  • Tire repair kit
  • High-output air compressor, on-board air or CO2 system
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Tire deflators
  • Screwdrivers (1/8", 3/16" 1/4" slotted, P0, P1, P2 phillips, T10, T15 Torx)
  • Replaceable-bit Screwdriver handle w/bits (slotted, phillips, torx, nutdriver)
  • Combination wrench set, Metric, with added 13mm, 18mm and 21mm
  • 3/8-drive ratchet w/SAE & Metric sockets
  • 3/8-drive 10mm, 16mm & 19mm deep-well sockets
  • 3/-drive 3" and 6" extensions
  • 1/2-drive torque wrench
  • 1/2-drive extending breaker bar
  • 1/2-drive sockets in 3/4" deep-wall and 35mm
  • 1/2-drive 3" extension
  • 10" adjustable wrench
  • 10" channel-lock pliers
  • 10" vise grips
  • 6" long-nose vise grips
  • wire cutters
  • electrical crimping/stripping pliers
  • 14" pipe wrench
  • 14" pry bar
  • Large C-Clamp
  • Magnetic parts retriever
  • Leatherman Surge multi-tool
  • Hand axe (can be used as a hammer)
  • Jumper cables
  • Welding rods & goggles (if you have dual-batteries)
  • Butane Soldering iron, solder & fuel
  • Measuring tape
  • Blue Loc-Tite
  • Safety goggles
  • Nitrile shop gloves
  • Gortex/suede shop gloves
  • Zip-Lock bags (fluid/parts storage)
  • Trash bags
  • 5'x9' poly tarp

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/29/11 08:37 AM

As for a ditch kit, I have my standard "GHB" (get home bag). When I'm off-roading, I move the bag from behind the driver's seat to behind the passenger seat, hanging off the seat by its shoulder straps and secured by two velcro straps so it can't easily go flying if I roll the Jeep.

I prefer a bag that is functional and organized, and use a Level III bag myself. In an emergency I don't want to loose seconds digging through a single, huge compartment for critical items, and I'm willing to give up comfort for rapid access.

I carry a lot of stuff. The intent is that whether I'm stuck 50 miles from civilization while off-roading or 50 miles from home at work, this bag, along with a good set of hiking shoes and the weather-appropriate clothing on my back, is enough to get me home. At 2MPH average gait for 8 hours/day that's at least 3-days walking. The only thing I think I'm missing (and do correct me if I'm wrong) is a firearm, but that isn't possible where I live.

The top outer-pocket of the bag is used for trauma first aid supplies:
  • Pair of nitrile gloves
  • Mylar emergency blanket
  • 50g Quick-Clot sponge
  • 5"x9" Trauma Pads, x2
  • Israeli bandage
  • Soft-T tourniquet*
  • Asherman Chest Seal*
  • CPR mask with valve/filter (key-ring case clipped to molle)
  • Tick-Key Tick Removal Tool (attached to CPR mask keyring)

The rest of my first-aid kit is in the lower outside pocket:
  • Tweezers
  • Magnifying Lens
  • #10 Disposable Scalpel, x2
  • Petzl e+Lite (clipped to molle)
  • 2oz hand sanitizing gel (clipped to zipper pull)
  • N95 face masks, x2 (flat-storing style)
  • Nitrile exam gloves, x2 pairs
  • 8"x16" Water-Jel Burn Dressings, x2
  • 25g Quick-Clot sponges, x2
  • 1"-wide Medical Tape
  • 4" x 36" SAM Splint
  • 3"-wide roll gauze
  • 3"-Wide Elastic Bandage
  • Chemical Cold Pack, x2
  • Chemical Hand Warmers, x4
  • Large safety pins, x4
  • Assorted self-adhesive bandage strips and patches
  • Small and Large Butterfly Closures, x8 each
  • 3" and 4" Gauze Dressings, x2
  • 3"x4" Non-Adhering Dressings, x2
  • Sterile Eye Dressings, x2
  • Wooden Tongue Depressors/Finger Splints, x2
  • Moleskin Sheet
  • Mini Roll of Duct Tape
  • Thermometer Strip
  • 4oz Sterile Saline Eye/Wound Wash
  • Alcohol wipes, x12
  • BZK wipes, x4
  • Providone-Iodine Wipes, x4
  • Providone-Iodine liquid packets, x2
  • Triple antibiotic ointment packets, x4
  • Sterile cotton swabs, x2
  • Lidocaine Wipes (after-bite), x4
  • Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen tablets
  • Pepcid Complete antacid tablets
  • Loperamide tablets (antidiarrheal)
  • Diphenhydramine tablets (antihistamine)
  • Pseudoephedrine tablets (decongestant)*
  • Cough/Sore-Throat Lozenges
  • Electrolyte Tablets
  • Honey Packets
  • Emergency medical info and contacts card

(* Carry/use only with appropriate knowledge/training)

The middle pocket holds:
  • Rain Poncho/Tarp (extended-length)
  • Rain pants
  • Thinsulate deerskin gloves
  • Ball Cap
  • Buff
  • Orange Bandanna
  • Large AMK Heat Sheet emergency blanket
  • SPF30 Sunblock, sweat/water-resistant
  • 3M Ultrathon insect repellent lotion (33.4% DEET)
  • Prescription Eyeglasses
  • Non-prescription Sunglasses
  • Contact Lens Solution
  • Pre-Moistened Hand Wipes (Wet Ones Big Ones)
  • Backpacking-size toilet paper roll, x2
  • Folding hand shovel
  • 1-Liter Platypus soft bottle
  • Katadyn MP1 water purification tablets, x8
  • Brunton 15TDCL Compass (on lanyard)
  • Signal mirror (on above lanyard)
  • Signal whistle (on above lanyard)
  • Firesteel & striker (on above lanyard)
  • Tiny zip-bag of cotton-ball/vaseline tinder
  • Maps
  • Photocopy of passport ID page plus 2 passport photos
  • Duplicate drivers license, registration & insurance cards
  • Spare credit card
  • $200 in small denominations plus $2 in quarters
  • Clif Energy Bars, x3
  • Clif Energy Gel Shots, x3
  • Storm-proof matches & striker in waterproof case
  • iPhone cable and AC adapter
  • Ka-Bar Short knife, attached to outer molle
  • Fenix LD20 LED flashlight attached to outer molle
  • Counter-Assault Bear Spray, attached to outer molle
  • Goal Zero 4xAA-rechargeable emergency cell-phone charger
  • Sanyo Enelop AA rechargeable batteries, x4
  • Energizer AA Lithium Batteries, x8
  • EMT Shears (tucked in-to molle and on a coiled key-leash)

One thing the Level III bag is lacking is side pockets for water bottles. I solved this problem by attaching a couple of molle 1-Liter water bottle pouches to the sides. Each pouch holds a full 1L Nalgene bottle of water, one bottle is nested with a GSI stainless steel bottle cup.

The main compartment, from bottom to top, contains:
  • Clothing dry-bag containing:
      • Mid-weight base layer
      • Synthetic, long-sleeve hiking shirt
      • Synthetic, long cargo pants
      • Synthetic short pants
      • Synthetic T-shirt and underpants
      • Wool hiking socks and synthetic sock liners (x2 ea)
  • Bathing trunks (in zip-bag)
  • Sea-to-Summit shower bag
  • Toiletry kit
      • Liquid camp soap
      • Toothbrush & Toothpaste
      • Dental Floss
      • Travel-size deodorant
      • Disposable razor
      • Travel-size Moisturizing lotion
      • Comb
      • Contact Lens case & cleaning solution
      • Extra contact lenses
      • Listerine breath strips
      • 4-days supply of prescription medication
      • Ear plugs
      • Unlubricated condoms, x3
      • Mini sewing kit w/spare buttons, safety pins
      • Large backpacker towel (clipped to toiletry kit)
  • Mylar emergency sleeping bag
  • Sea-to-Summit +15-degree sleeping bag liner
  • Cooking pouch, including:
      • Trangia Stove
      • Windscreen/pot-holder
      • 8oz Everclear grain alcohol
      • Mini-Bic
      • Swedish Fire Steel
      • Tiny zip-bag of cotton-ball/Vaseline tinder
      • Titanium Spork
      • Sharpening Stone
      • Katadyn MP-1 water purification tablets, x12
      • 1-gallon zip bags, x2
  • Meal pouch including:
      • Granola bars, x4
      • 3600-calorie emergency "lifeboat" ration bar
      • Instant oatmeal packet, x4
      • Microwave rice packet, x2
      • Beef jerky, 8oz
      • Tuna salad snack pack, x2
      • Instant coffee & creamer packet, x4 ea
      • Tea bags, x4
      • Propel sports drink packets, x2
      • Chicken Boullion packets, x2
      • Splenda packets, x10
      • Pepcid Complete antacid tablets, x4
  • Trash Bags, 2x 30-gallon and 2x 13-gallon
  • 1-gallon zip-bags, x2
  • MSR Miniworks water purification filter
  • MSR 2-Liter water bag
  • Micro-fleece zip hoody
  • Aluminum tent stakes, x8, in zip-bag
  • Paracord, 50-ft, in above zip bag
  • 5'x9' lightweight poly tarp
  • 15" Sven Saw (slid inside along the right side)
  • Ka-Bar Cutlass Machete (slid inside along the left side)

On my person I have:
  • Cash (usually at least $200)
  • Wallet with ID, credit cards, medical info and emergency contacts
  • Analog wrist watch
  • Leatherman Surge in nylon sheath on belt, with:
      • Countycomm Maratac AAA flashlight tucked-in the elastic loop on one side of sheath
      • Small case w/storm matches, striker and ferro rod tucked-in the other side elastic loop
      • Bandaids (x4) and antibiotic ointment packet tucked in back sleeve with the screwdriver bits
      • Button compass attached to cover
  • Doug Ritter PSP+ with some added first aid items (in pocket)
  • McMurdo FastFind PLB (in pouch on belt)
  • iPhone
  • Mini-Bic lighter
  • Keyring with
      • Car key/remote
      • House key
      • Office key
      • Countycomm Maratac AAA flashlight
      • Victorinox Swiss Army Compact knife

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/29/11 10:46 AM

Nice kit Mark! I especially like your on-body carry. Seems like a smart plan, especially if you can't get to your ditch bag.

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/29/11 03:01 PM

Nice setup Mark_M. You've hit the nail on the head with everything you've written. I'm almost right there with you, except I don't have room to carry spare driveshafts.

Do you know how much your backpack weighs when fully loaded out?

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/30/11 04:50 AM

Thanks for the kind comments. I learned much of it from you guys and gals on this forum. Not necessarily the specific parts and tools, but the knowledge to look at potential situations and risks, and plan ways to survive them.

I'd like to carry more on-person, but it's uncomfortable to sit with too much bulk your pockets when you're bouncing around on the trails. I've also lost stuff out my pockets on the trails, sometimes right out of the Jeep when doorless. I think I'm up to around $300 worth of sunglasses and a $350 camera so far.

I don't have the spare axles yet either, (or the alternator or starter), still saving for those upgrades. But when I do, I know the axles will fit under the rear seat. Just wrap in a blanket (good for warmth, too) and ratchet-strap to the seat brackets to avoid getting bopped on the noggin if I roll.

As for the backpack weight, I'm guessing somewhere around 25-30 pounds with 2-liters of water. I haven't had a working scale since I moved from a North Face nylon day pack to the Level III molle, and I've beefed-up the first aid kit and added some food and other items during the transition. The previous bag was 22 pounds with 2-liters of water.
Posted by: gimpy

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 07/31/11 12:31 PM

I guess I would start back on 'choice of vehicles'. Start with one that doesn't have a propensity to self ignite.....
I agree with the diesel idea and, it sounds like you'll need a pickup to haul all the additional gear mentioned here :-)
I realize that option depends on how $$ capable you are, but with being way away from 'friend assistance' a lot of the time, reliability is a major issue, especially if you are chasing nuggets in the backcountry.
Let me reinforce that there is a LOT of good advice on this thread for any/all of us who venture into the backcountry.

gimpy

Have you looked at a 'Mog' (Unimog) by MB? There are older ones out there and they are 'anvil' reliable and available in diesel. (Spend your kids inheritance before they have a chance at it.) :-)
Of course parts are NOT available at NAPA, which is a consideration.....
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 08/01/11 12:36 AM

What a great list of equipment. Thanks Mark_M. Its interesting to be able to look through your very detailed list.

Just a couple of thoughts, things which you may have but didn't specifically mention:

- Tree Protector for the winch - prevent damage to the tree or anchor point, and to the winch cable
- Spare cap(s) for the battery. I’ve had the caps come loose, and a friend actually lost one.
- Battery water
- In the tyre repair kit, I assume you would have a spare inner tube (you can fit these even to a tubeless in necessary) and some tools specifically to take the tyre off the rim (I have a Tyre Plier kit which is good and I’ve had for years, but I think that there are a few more alternatives on the market now which would be worth exploring)
- Spark plug removing tool / spanner + feeler gauge to adjust the plugs. Often it is impossible to remove the plugs without the extra long head on the spanner.
- FYI welding goggles are great, but to save space you can just buy a replacement mask lens and stick it in an improvised mask, like taping it onto a sheet of cardboard.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 08/01/11 05:58 AM

What part of the kit had cardboard in it?An Arc welding mask is Very Important,lest you want to drive/live in a Tunnel for the rest of your life!

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 02/12/12 11:48 PM

Revisiting this thread due to some fun we had this weekend.

Chest waders will shortly be added to my winter wheeling gear.

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 02/13/12 02:12 AM

Loks like great fun, Mark. Does your Jeep have a snorkel?

Re: Ditch Bag for a 4x4 Rig - 02/13/12 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Loks like great fun, Mark. Does your Jeep have a snorkel?

No, I'm one of the few that wheel that area without one. I do mostly rocks and mountain trails and not a lot of deep water. On the tight trails I often run I'd rip most snorkels off the Jeep. And to be honest, the way I wheel I don't normally need one.

I don't usually cross deep water without walking it out first. If the bottom is reasonably firm and not more than 36" deep I have no problem going through slow enough to not risk a big wave that might get sucked-up in the engine. But it was cold and I'd crossed this pond before at another point without trouble. Prime example of what happens when you assume. In this case I just bogged down, not hydrolocked.

Once I got a strap hooked up another Jeep pulled me out. I actually didn't have to do much walking in the water. Here's a video of the recovery. (warning, language NSFW).

5 minutes later my rescuer got himself stuck in the same pond. Tink Fails Fortunately, someone did remember their waders and pulled my line out to him. He was so far out and so stuck it took me 30 minutes to pull him out (5 min winching, 15 waiting for the battery to recharge).

BTW, this was a weekend campout/wheeling event for one of our Jeep buddies who just got back from a tour in Afghanistan (active duty Marine). He's the guy who pulled me out and then I pulled out.