mini pencil source

Posted by: survivalperson

mini pencil source - 06/24/11 12:14 AM

Where can I order the pencils used in the PSP? I used to order them through survival resources but they are no longer on their website.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 02:31 AM

You could try making some. It is a little spendy, but it may be useful. Here is a link: http://www.instructables.com/id/mini-pencil-for-survival-kit/

Here is a link to the Staedtler site showing a thick pencil lead.
http://www.staedtler.com/Mars_carbon_gb.Staedtler

You could also try sourcing the pens for the Swiss Army knives.

Good luck.

Standard Disclaimer

My $.02
Posted by: MDinana

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 02:36 AM

I'm guessing the golf store.
Posted by: dweste

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
I'm guessing the golf store.

Just wander into the pro shop at the local golf course, admire the merchandise and view out the window, get a souvenir score card and a few pencils, and leave. If you feel a bit guilty, eat a little something at the snack shop or restaurant.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 02:51 AM

Golf sized pencils are available at any Staples. I think I paid about $8.00 for a box of about 150 of them...not for survival purposes obviously. I have also seen smaller packs of 5-10 pencils at dollar stores.

Best place, as others have mentioned is the local golf course or ask around at your work. There are usually more then a few golfers in any decent sized workplace who will spot you a few pencils.

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 03:17 AM

Golf pencils are considerably thicker than the one in the DR PSK.
Posted by: dweste

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Golf pencils are considerably thicker than the one in the DR PSK.

A positive if you intend to use a knife or manual pencil sharpener to create wood shavings from the pencil or other small dry wood as part of fire-starting tinder.
Posted by: LED

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 06:47 AM

Just use a fine toothed saw (mini hacksaw) and make them yourself. Works for china markers too. Or just save your old worn down pencils for your EDC kits.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 10:06 AM

I picked up a box of 150 golf pencils at our local Staples for $7.99. They're thicker than the ones in the DR PSK but I like that - easier to to shave with a knife!

If that doesn't work, pop into the pro shop of your local golf shop. They'll probably give you a few on the house.
Posted by: comms

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 03:11 PM

Wow. I went through the Instructable link. I am equal parts amazed at the ingenuity and scared by the OCD some people have at being ultralight for a PSK.

IMHO I don't see the need for anything less than a golf pencil, for the obvious reasons above, plus just sharpen the thing down to 1 inch and your good to go. Furthermore if you carry your PSK as part of a larger scheme of EDC, (like in a daily backpack or work bag) then there should be multiple writing devices in there anyway.

The hard part is finding something to write on that can be found and read. In fact, based on the ETS forum, For my hiking I ditched my grease pencil and switched to a sharpie and a 35mm tube of bright orange plastic tree tape. Write on the tape, pull apart, tie it around something for contrast and movement, move on.
Posted by: Susan

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 05:31 PM

The trouble with dollar stores is that each kind carries different stuff. The best chain around here went out of business -- they had a GREAT buyer.

Sue
Posted by: hikermor

Re: mini pencil source - 06/24/11 07:10 PM

There is a model of the SAK Classic that incorporates a ballpoint pen. I prefer to EDC that model and the pen has come in handy fairly often.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: mini pencil source - 06/25/11 02:15 AM

I say get some thick mechanical pencil refiles and throw a coat of enamel spray paint on um.

Re: mini pencil source - 06/25/11 07:59 AM

Or wrap some glued paper round and round the lead refill. Papier mache pencils! Sharpen with an emery board.

Sue

Re: mini pencil source - 06/25/11 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Or wrap some glued paper round and round the lead refill. Papier mache pencils! Sharpen with an emery board.

Sue

Genius!
Posted by: sotto

Re: mini pencil source - 06/25/11 07:48 PM

I sell these for $12 a piece, plus $5 shipping and handling. There's a small wait time, 3 weeks right now due to the survival holidays.

Posted by: Mark_R

Re: mini pencil source - 06/25/11 09:38 PM

Umm, dumb question here. What about buying a box of #2 wood pencils (5-10 cents each) and cutting them short? For a more robust implement, use "contractors pencils" (10-60 cents each)from the hardware store.

If you have to have a neato toy, buy one of these.
http://www.penagain.com/index.html

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Umm, dumb question here. What about buying a box of #2 wood pencils (5-10 cents each) and cutting them short? For a more robust implement, use "contractors pencils" (10-60 cents each)from the hardware store.

Good idea, but those aren't survival pencils. Do you reall want to bet your life on a regular pencil? I don't think so.

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 04:07 AM

Quote:
Good idea, but those aren't survival pencils. Do you reall want to bet your life on a regular pencil? I don't think so.

grin grin grin grin grin

Now, THAT'S funny!

Mark, regular yellow pencils, even cut down, take up too much room in an Altoids tin. We want the hard-to-find stuff.

Sue

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan

Sue

This also doubles as being able to decorate your survival retreat. Keeps the tarp from being as drab.

Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, Sue!
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 08:56 AM

The best bet for the original poster might be a Victorinox dealer.
If you are satisfied with the hard-to-find stuff, you cannot be too serious about being prepared wink. The real thing would be a custom made mechanical pencil with build-in sparking device.

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
If you are satisfied with the hard-to-find stuff, you cannot be too serious about being prepared wink. The real thing would be a custom made mechanical pencil with build-in sparking device.

which, in turn, was enclosed in a para cord bracelet, that had a condom also entwined on the opposite side.

Think that'll be the new DR PSK-lite?

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: sotto
I sell these for $12 a piece, plus $5 shipping and handling. There's a small wait time, 3 weeks right now due to the survival holidays.

$12 each?! Seriously! Wow! Good business if you can find customers.

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: Mark_R

LOL!

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 03:13 PM

Quote:
This also doubles as being able to decorate your survival retreat. Keeps the tarp from being as drab.

"Survival with Martha Stewart: Keeping your spirits up while awaiting rescue."

grin

Sue
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: M_a_x

which, in turn, was enclosed in a para cord bracelet, that had a condom also entwined on the opposite side.

Think that'll be the new DR PSK-lite?

Great idea!
At least the pencil/sparking device should be doable in a size that fits into an Altoids can. I build a springless design mechanical pencil around a 3.2 mm lead. It is just over 2" long and about 1/4" in diameter. The size is a little uncomfortable for writing.
Posted by: MarshAviator

Re: mini pencil source - 06/26/11 05:57 PM

You have given me an idea (always scary).
Combine Fisher Space Pen Refill with pencil in a survival sized form factor.
Presently Fisher makes a compact one which has either a bullet style or a pull up style expansion "rod".
Now just either modify one or take the refill and somehow add a mechanical pencil to it. It would still be smaller than a golf sized pencil and give you write in the rain ability as well.
A little shrink tube, a little old pencil, maybe an old clutch type pencil with 2mm lead and your there.

What's the market, both survival and "wallet" use.
Posted by: survivalperson

Re: mini pencil source - 06/28/11 04:50 PM

The PSP uses a thin red pencil. They are manufactured by somebody. I do not want a cut down pencil, a shaved down pencil, one to use as tinder, or one that has other functions.

You can see a picture of the pencil if you go to Ritters PSP site.

Does anyone know a source for this particular pencil???????

Re: mini pencil source - 06/28/11 06:57 PM

I found a source about 1.5 years ago. Of course, I have slept since then and have forgotten where. My thought is/was that you have to buy these things by the gross from any of the sources you may find. What are you going to do with 144 pencils?
Posted by: Eastree

Re: mini pencil source - 06/28/11 07:18 PM

Notch the ends, and have a pack of multi-use portable Lincoln Logs to take for that quiet night around the fire?

Re: mini pencil source - 06/29/11 12:01 AM

Not sure if its the same thing, but the first google search result for "tiny pencils" was this.

http://www.vippies.com/vippiesticks.htm
Posted by: ame

Re: mini pencil source - 06/29/11 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I have the tactical version for $15 each.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: mini pencil source - 06/29/11 11:40 AM

I believe you have found the elusive tiny tiny pencil. Good find.

Pete

Re: mini pencil source - 06/29/11 01:55 PM

Well done LED, well done. I don't know what the prize is, but you have just won it!
Posted by: Bingley

Re: mini pencil source - 06/30/11 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: ame
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I have the tactical version for $15 each.

After you get a pencil, send it to me for artisanal sharpening ($25/tip). I have my blades sharpened in Japan by craftsmen trained in the traditional apprentice system. The tactical pencils will have to get tactical sharpening ($30/tip). OD/coyote/digital camo are optional. I'll throw in for free three sheets paper hand-cut to the dimension of your specification.

You can also buy an annual subscription.

Da Bing
Posted by: widget

Re: mini pencil source - 06/30/11 05:44 PM

Only if you can add a licensed DR logo somewhere on my tacticool pencil....
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: mini pencil source - 06/30/11 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: widget
Only if you can add a licensed DR logo somewhere on my tacticool pencil....

For the right price......

(If you have to ask, you cannot afford it)
Posted by: widget

Re: mini pencil source - 07/01/11 05:50 PM

I'm saving up but it's hard on the retirement income :-)

Re: mini pencil source - 07/03/11 03:47 AM

Everyone is overlooking the fact that my survival pencil comes complete with an eraser (once again for $12 + $5 S&H), essential for those embarrassing moments when you make a mistake while using your last ounce of strength to write out a Last Will and Testament. One tool, many uses.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: mini pencil source - 07/20/11 06:28 AM

Hi Sotto, Looks like your tactical pencils have a flat grind, have you given any thought to a convex version or the ever popular Scandi ?
Posted by: Blast

Re: mini pencil source - 07/20/11 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Aussie
Hi Sotto, Looks like your tactical pencils have a flat grind, have you given any thought to a convex version or the ever popular Scandi ?

LOL!!!
-Blast, who now has to clean coffee off his screen.

Re: mini pencil source - 07/21/11 01:52 AM

Aussie: Of course, this fits right in with my company motto, "Anything for a buck." I'm happy to take pre-paid orders for convex, Scandi, or any other grinds for my tactical survival pencils with the understanding that it will cause a substantial but uncertain prolongation of the waiting period. The advance payment is needed to upgrade my tooling, but I assure everyone that the wait will be worth it. I'm also gearing up to produce hand-sewn toilet-roll holsters for the pencils available in any color as long as it's brown.

Also, I'm a little busy right now so I may not get back to PMs right away. Go ahead and send money though.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: mini pencil source - 07/22/11 12:08 AM

Aussie: Of course, this fits right in with my company motto, "Anything for a buck." I'm happy to take pre-paid orders for convex, Scandi, or any other grinds for my tactical survival pencils with the understanding that it will cause a substantial but uncertain prolongation of the waiting period. The advance payment is needed to upgrade my tooling, but I assure everyone that the wait will be worth it. I'm also gearing up to produce hand-sewn toilet-roll holsters for the pencils available in any color as long as it's brown.

Also, I'm a little busy right now so I may not get back to PMs right away. Go ahead and send money though.

I sounds like you're ready to take on a government contract

Re: mini pencil source - 07/22/11 12:29 AM

LOL!!
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: mini pencil source - 07/22/11 03:03 AM

Sotto, I PM'd you my cc info and order for a dozen survival pencils, tactical grind. Please verify my order and shipping date when you have a minute. Also, do I get a discount on shipping for a quantity order?

While I wait for Sotto's industry-shattering products, I will have to make do with my CountyComm Pico Pen. I keep one on my keychain at all times, and it's been quite useful over the years. It is small enough to fit in a candy tin, with or without the magnetic cap. The magnetic cap might actually be a benefit, as it would make the pen "stick" inside the tin, less likely to get lost.

Linky: http://countycomm.com/picopen.html

Unfortunately, you can't use the Pico Pen for kindling.
Posted by: urbansurvivalist

Re: mini pencil source - 02/27/12 01:50 AM

After a lot of searching, I find 2 tiny and inexpensive pens, that are more suited to a wallet or elsewhere where you want something very thin. For a keychain, the pico pen and Inka both seem great, But I was looking for something for my wallet. The first link below is a bit smaller, and is about $10 shipped on ebay. Hopefully someone will find these links useful:

http://www.jetpens.com/Ohto-Petit-B-Needle-Point-Ballpoint-Pen-0.5-mm-Orange-Body/pd/5324

http://www.thewritingpenstore.com/p-149-derringer-wallet-pen.aspx
Posted by: hikermor

Re: mini pencil source - 02/27/12 01:46 PM

I EDC the version of the SAK Classic that incorporates a small, but very functional ball point pen. It has come in handy several times.
Posted by: Meadowlark

Re: mini pencil source - 02/27/12 03:32 PM

Interesting thread!

Another source of small pencils: a local artist.

Good quality sketching pencils have wide, soft leads and because of their high price they are used almost all the way up, using a pencil extension holder. (Sort of like an old-fashioned cigarette holder) You can ask for the stubbie leftover bit and it will still have a considerable amount of lead in it. Not enough to write a novel, but enough for basic directions, etc.

As seen in the pocket kit I posted earlier:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

If you don't know someone who still works in traditional mediums (so many are going digital these days) you can purchase one of these pencils yourself*, and, after whittling it down (or doodling for about 60+ hours) you'll have an amazing tool that will be MUCH more reliable than any golf pencil or ballpoint pen. Seriously.

*Derwent's 4B sketching pencil especially recommended.
http://www.dickblick.com/items/22040-1050/?wmcp=google&wmcid=items&wmckw=22040-1050
Posted by: leemann

Re: mini pencil source - 02/28/12 01:03 AM

I can find some in white if you need some ( plenty at work ).

Lee