Long Term Water Storage

Posted by: Ironwood

Long Term Water Storage - 06/21/11 01:54 AM

Forgive me (or direct me) if this has been hashed out previously, I searched but did not see any obvious examples.

I bought a 250 gallon bladder for drinking water (military surplus)and am curious what should be added to water for long term storage. The bladder is about 48" diameter and 6' tall. VERY thick flexible rubber and was originally used for drinking water. It has SERIOUS clevises and brass flanges and standard pipe fittings for use. It is designed to be lifted from the clevises, I may make a steel "pallet" to hold it.

Any thoughts on treatments?

Thanks Ironwood
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/21/11 02:44 AM

Uh... no.... maybe chlorine?

Just be real careful where you set it. 250 gallons = 2040 lbs. Make sure whatever you set it on can support that much weight set onto a four foot diameter. Be pretty silly if you punched a hole through your second story floor or something.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/21/11 02:50 AM

I think I would just fill it with tap water and then treat the water as it was used, employing some of the standard wilderness/backpacking methods like Aquamira, a Steripen, etc. or just plain old boiling. I would be inclined to change the water on an annual basis and check carefully for any algal growths.

That is a massive tank! Frankly, I would prefer several smaller containers that would be more portable.

You might see if you could submit samples for testing to see if any bad stuff appears. My experience is that often stored water can remain drinkable for at least a year, but you would want to be sure.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/21/11 05:06 AM

If the tank is designed for water, and the water you put in is clean, you don't treat it. Clean water properly stored doesn't go bad. People have stored water in cisterns for thousands of years and used it without treatment.

Given that this is a rubber bladder you can expect some rubber taste, and it will be stale and flat, but it should store well enough.

There are various chemicals that will help keep it fresh, these are used on yachts where water is stored for months, but most don't make the water any safer. Some people use a carbon filter to remove the taste left from the tank, and it often helps to pour it between pitchers, letting it drop several feet to increase agitation, so oxygen lost during storage is restored and it tastes less flat and stale, but it just corrects aesthetic issues.

Traditional sailors cut their water with rum or whiskey, or, the more genteel sort, make coffee or tea with it. Some split the difference.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/21/11 10:32 AM

I've always been under the understanding that clean water in a clean container doesn't need treating, as long as it's keep out of direct sunlight.

If it's a second-hand container you might consider testing it to make sure it's clean and not leaching any unfriendlies into the water.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/21/11 03:12 PM

http://equipped.org/72hourkit.htm See Sustenance.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/21/11 04:27 PM

You don't say what material the bladder is composed of. If it is rubber-based, chlorine bleach can make it hard and brittle, esp over the long-term.

If the water you put in the bladder is clean, and the inside of the bladder is clean, nothing should contaminate it.

May I assume that the bladder was used for only water, and not something harmful that may leach into your stored water?

Sue

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/21/11 09:39 PM

Thanks for your replies and insights. Yes it is a BIG container. I have the means to move it (here and in my BOT) and actually inadvertantly "tested" it when my sling slid off the fork of my forktruck and it BOUNCED! on the gravel (loaded). I actually think these are designed for air lifting and EXTREME use. I forget the name of the company that supplied the military with them but they are CRAZY durable and it looks like it was never used. I want to say it cost 4-6K new, so that will give you a sense of quality of construction.

Thanks Again, Ironwood

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/21/11 10:24 PM

Just a few other observations, we are on a 175' well, with city water access (we have not hooked up). We are on about 20 acres. The only thing I worry about during outages or emergencies is water for our family of 5. I have multiple gens (gasoline, diesel and NG) to pull it out of the ground but a large supply 50 days worth in a ready access "system" gives me piece of mind. Also worth mentioning is the fact that I can mobilize it both here at home, and on the road, our BOV is a 4 door diesel flatbed truck, with a 10K trailer (both have cranes, truck is 3200# Venturo, trailer is manual 2000#.

So, while it may sound a little "crazy" it works for us. I do have multiple jerry water jugs for typical usage.

Ironwood
Posted by: celler

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/22/11 12:26 AM

I would really love to see a picture of this thing.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/22/11 12:47 AM

I would also like a picture of it! smile And more information on chlorine hardening rubber...that concerns me...
Posted by: Susan

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/22/11 05:18 PM

Re: chlorine hardening rubber

I first learned of this problem many years ago from a plumber in SoCal. He said the highly-chlorinated water routinely hardened gaskets and rubber toilet flappers, a fact that was quite lucrative to plumbers.

The product info for Liquid-PlumrŽ clog remover indicates the primary ingredient is bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and in their own words, "we do not recommend using drain openers in rubber pipes. The products may damage rubber."

Looking online, [url=www.omegachem.com.au/docs/mega_handbook.pdf]this .pdf[/url] has a section (4.2.4 - Rubber Lined Steel) on how steel tanks lined with rubber deteriorate in as little as 3 years and have to be completely replaced after ongoing exposure to bleach.

Mind you, I'm talking plain rubber, not specially made rubbers that are designed to contain or resist certain materials.

Sue

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/23/11 07:59 AM

I dunno how to post a pic, but try this link (it might work??). The thing is in my yard topped off and sitting. I am playing with it and contemplating the plumbing hook up.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=4436187

Ironwood
Posted by: celler

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/23/11 09:57 AM

Man, those are some serious hookup shackles at the top of that thing.

Re: Long Term Water Storage - 06/25/11 06:34 PM

Yeah, that is how you lift them. When I say I "dropped it" lets just say it was about a 7' drop!!! It bounced !!! These things are seriously strong. They may have even parachuted them into locals, I am not sure of current field resupply protocols, it has been awhile since I was serving Uncle Sam.

Ironwood