The 1$ Kudlik

Posted by: Frisket

The 1$ Kudlik - 06/15/11 01:24 AM

Just got a simple soapdish from the dollar store and bamf I now have a kudlic. Using Papertowel folded up abit and PJ for fuel I had atleast a 2 inch flame going on it. I didnt burn it for long since Im inside and it was pouring out black smoke (I think due to the wick being to big as with a thinner piece it didnt).

Soon I will be testing other wick materials and Fuels Ill post updates as I do any suggestions on fuels would be great.

action shot

Posted by: Blast

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/15/11 02:54 AM

Do like!
-Blast
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/15/11 09:34 AM

Great idea, but be careful. If not designed to be heated, some ceramic materials are frangible under localized heat and subject to spalling. These could forcebly expel a sharp piece of surface material into your face due to uneven expansion.

That said, I would be interested in seeing how 'found' fuels compare:. A burn time and smoke comparison with a similar wick (a small strip of cotton sock for example) between equal amounts of:

various cooking oils
oil from a tuna can
oil from a piece of beef fat
crisco shortening
margerine
parrafin wax
motor oil

Probably should do outdoors.....
Posted by: MDinana

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/15/11 12:26 PM

a small piece of cloth you wipe all over your face (natural body oils). I hear that with old flintlocks, you'd wipe the wadding over your face to make it ram home a bit easier.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/15/11 01:04 PM

Very ingenious and cost effective, there is bound to be lots of blubber going to waste after the event. whistle

Posted by: MDinana

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/15/11 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Very ingenious and cost effective, there is bound to be lots of blubber going to waste after the event. whistle

C'mon AFLM... we know you're just dying to end that sentence with ..."in America."

Everyone else, don't hate me.
http://www.latimes.com/health/fl-overweight-new-normal-20110601,0,566894.story
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/15/11 01:44 PM

Believe me there are plenty of folks over here who would be on the adipose supplement program if it were available. laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57g3dKzYMuU&
Posted by: Arney

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/15/11 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Great idea, but be careful. If not designed to be heated, some ceramic materials are frangible under localized heat and subject to spalling.

Or, if left unattended and it cracks under heat, it could start a fire, especially if you're using it indoors. Not that long ago, I was watching an old video of a ceramic ashtray (which should tolerate heat) crack open and dump the hot ashes and lit cigarettes onto the table below it. (The point of that particular video was to warn users not to let too much ash and too many cigarettes build up without emptying ashtrays.)

But still, a nice idea if it can take the heat.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/15/11 05:04 PM

Could this be used as an emergency warmer/light source for the winter car kit?
Posted by: aloha

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/21/11 02:44 AM

Great idea. An altoids tin would make for a not as cool, but free kudlik. And you wouldn't have to worry about a piece coming back at you.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/21/11 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Could this be used as an emergency warmer/light source for the winter car kit?

I would be worried about possible accidents with an open container of flammables, to say nothing of CO production from that lovely yellow flame.

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 06/25/11 01:50 AM

I wouldnt use it in a car, The Flame is large and wide open, It would be like starting a camp fire on your middle console.

I used a Cotton bit of cloth and it seemed to work better then the paper towel. I use a small bent piece of steel wire as a fire poker and to coax and move the PJ. I havent tested with a large amount of fuel yet ill be sure to soon.

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 07/08/11 03:16 AM

Just some more pictures Using Shortening And strip of cotton bandana. The Pennies I used to hold the wick up after it kept sliding down. Putting it out was as simple as hooking the wick in the middle of the solid white and dragging it slowly into the melted Shortening.

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: The 1$ Kudlik - 07/08/11 03:55 AM

I can't see much of a hazard using a cotton wick and a low-grade fuel (fat, motor oil, the usual suspects). I doubt you could generate enough heat to crack the cheapest ceramic if you tried. The real challenge lies in managing the smoke.

Keep in mind that the oil used by the Inuit was high-grade stuff in comparison. Whale oil was the oil-from-the-sea that lit up much of Europe, back in the day.