Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder

Posted by: kevingg

Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/21/11 09:28 PM

If you have ever seen some of my paracord work, you’ll recognize that I always seek to be innovative and unique. I rarely do paracord “survival bracelets” because I find most of them boring to make and typically lacking any real utilitarian value. Sure with some effort on the most common bracelets, you could untie it and get 10’-12’ of paracord. If someone wandered away from camp and got lost with empty pockets, the clothes on their back and their paracord bracelet, they could use the cordage to save valuable time in rigging a shelter. What about fire? Do you think the average person is realistically going to use the paracord to make a bow drill fire?
In the spirit of Paracordist innovation, I’ve been thinking about making a truly unique AND useful bracelet for some time now. How could I integrate firesteel, scraper and tinder? What about I.D. and/or critical medical information that could make the difference between life and death? How can I get more cord in a typical bracelet yet make it easy to untie? How can I do this and make it attractive, comfortable, renewable, affordable and suitable for everyday wear? Well here it is, I think I’ve done all that and more!

• Bracelet weave uses about 25% more cord than a cobra stitch of the same length (unless of course you use cobra back and forth until you have an absurd thick and uncomfy bracelet)

• Single cord construction, easily unravel

• 3/8" diameter firesteel cut to 1" acts as button for loop closure

• I.D. plate is made by my friend Bucketosudz from Artisan Attributes, specifically for this creation. Plate has square ground edges which double as effective scraper for the fireseel.

• I.D. plate can be engraved or decorated. I'm thinking I.D. info or critical medical info.

• Single or double thread of jute runs through top of bracelet (8"-16") it is only on top so not uncomfy to the wrist. Removable for tinder.

BONUS: Finally, seeing the finished prototype I realize it can be used as a rock sling. The bracelet is 1" wide, so not a typical sling pocket but it will work with carefully selected rocks. I have to test this. I'll let you know how it works out!
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/21/11 09:35 PM

VERY nice, Kevin! Are you taking orders yet? wink
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/21/11 09:37 PM

It looks great! I want one!

I'm not sure I'm good enough with firesteel to start a fire with a 1" length and no handle. Is that something you've tried?

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/21/11 10:29 PM

yes, i smell a video lol!

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/21/11 10:33 PM

don't get me in trouble bacpac!
Posted by: 6pac

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/21/11 10:39 PM

Fantastic job!!! Great way to improve the ubiquitous survival bracelet.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/22/11 01:26 AM

That's a nice invention there! You have got a lot of my favorite things packed into a small package with zero fat!

Have you thought about somehow incorporating a ferro rod that's about 3/16" x 2.5"?
http://firesteel.com/products/FireSteel-Pup.html
I'm confident I can start a fire in many conditions with that size. I'm not so sure about 3/8" x 1".
Posted by: ZenEngineer

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/22/11 04:05 AM

That looks like the best bracelet design I've seen yet. It looks good and has the tinder, fire steel and a longer cord than other types. I am wondering how difficult it would be to strike off of a 1" long rod. Any chance of a video using that short of a rod?
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/22/11 10:30 AM

Wow I like! I'll take one!

How do you secure the firesteel - I see a little knob of some sort but can't make out the rest.
Posted by: bill

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/22/11 01:07 PM

Very Creative, nice work.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/22/11 01:35 PM

A video is certain as soon as I work out a few design details.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/22/11 01:37 PM

I'm just sharing ideas here. Not trying to sell. Thanks for comments though. The steep is in with a knob of burned paracord. I'm testing this as the low profile alternative to a knot
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/22/11 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: kevingg
I'm just sharing ideas here. Not trying to sell. Thanks for comments though. The steep is in with a knob of burned paracord. I'm testing this as the low profile alternative to a knot

Great design and work Kevin! If you ever decide to sell these bracelets, I'm in for a couple.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/23/11 12:27 PM

Here it is without the scraper. Checkout the baby spear fishing on the food jar LOL.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/23/11 03:12 PM

here is the schematic for those wondering!

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/23/11 06:11 PM

That seems easy enough. Do you weave in the jute after weaving the paracord, or during?

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/23/11 09:06 PM

Jute is stitched in with a darning needle after
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/24/11 07:35 PM

I flat out hate survival paracord bracelets.....Aaaand now I want one... Home run In my opinion Kevin.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/25/11 11:58 AM

LOL thanks for that

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/29/11 11:13 AM

Ok, I'm gonna call this creation the B.S.B. (Best Survival Bracelet); "others are just B.S." ha ha ha no offense, it just came to me LOL.

I've got the perfect scraper - just arrived today. My bud from Artisian Attributes has send me a second generation scraper that more than addresses all my comments on the first one. I was prepared to sacrifice scraping ability for the "look" as long as I could indeed start a fire with it. I'm stoked that not only does this scraper look great on the bracelet, it actually generates sparks as good as any scraper I've used before!

I stripped down the original bracelet of jute and scraper. Rather than miss an opportunity to film; I create this video showing you how to "recharge" the B.S.B. (add fresh jute and reattach scraper after a use). Obviously, this is not intended to be your primary firesteel and scraper - you won't be doing this after every hike or camping trip I HOPE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgRfNTY-fQ4

My next video will be showing the creation of fire with nothing else but this bracelet; no tools, no knife.

LOOK AT THE SCHEMATIC A FEW POSTS AGO; LOOK AT THIS VIDEO. GO MAKE ONE. SURVIVE!

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/30/11 12:11 AM

So here are some pics of the final version with the perfect scraper; rounded no snag edges; smoother hole and ends that won't wear jute as quickly; squared sides that really scrape:

Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/31/11 12:44 PM

I, like many others, didn't really buy into the paracord bracelets. Yours, however, is starting to win me over. Some extra cordage and a last ditch means to start a fire in an emergency make your bracelet stand out from the others. Nice job.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/31/11 04:15 PM

thanks! means a lot because I, like you didn't like to wear or make them much because I wanted them to be more useful!

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 05/31/11 07:47 PM

Ordered one yesterday.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 06/03/11 01:18 AM

Hey, is there a trick to using jute twine while keeping it in the plastic? I see the little plastic hole but can't find the end in the center to pull out.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 06/03/11 01:47 AM

You just gotta fish around in there to find the loose end in the center; its there!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 06/03/11 10:00 AM

You have crafted a very nice item, but I do wonder.... Is my wrist the best place to carry fire tinder, typically exposed to weather and/or my perspiration? I like to keep something tucked away in a light, waterproof container, absolutely bone dry. But then it is hard to argue against too many backups, especially when it comes to fire starting.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 06/03/11 11:14 AM

While you do raise a good point still you never know where you will find and obtain your tinder from. The jute twine also adds a nice touch of character you rarely see in a lot of the other ones out there. Not to mention the factor of "Just because it may not work out I shouldnt do it at all" doesn't often fly with less serious issues within survival. It weights little to nothing it gives the bracelet its own class and completes the set it forms.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 06/03/11 11:20 AM

thanks frisket for your reply, I agree with all you wrote. Also, if you found yourself in trouble without anything but your bracelet, you could think ahead and remove the jute and place it in a dry place until needed. If you fell in a river or something, you could remove it and fluff it up, place into an inner pocket to dry by body heat while you search for wood.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 06/03/11 09:11 PM

Again, it seems like a great bracelet, but has anybody here tried the 1-inch firesteel? If so, how is it? I don't want to cut my firesteel just to try it out. I have a 2.5" bare firesteel, no handle, and I have always thought that's as short as I'd want to go.

Kevin, I saw you commented above about using the scraper, but it's not clear if you were using the 1-inch firesteel with the scraper.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 06/04/11 01:01 AM

this thread has the video I made making fire with the actual bracelet:
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=224724#Post224724

Digital ACU - 06/11/11 01:08 PM

Here's one I just did in digital ACU paracord, never used this color before but I think its a nice combo w/ the natural jute.

Re: Best paracord survival bracelet? firesteel tinder - 06/20/11 09:58 PM

My first in olive drab

giving some thought about fit, I usually add 1" to the exact wrist measurement. for everyone making their own, this is a good rule of thumb.

I decided to now leave 1/8" extra in the loop and the attach cord for the button. this allows a "looser fit" to start; but if the wearer desires more snug, a bit of the loop can be pulled out (pull the end with the steel), then the end can be snipped and burned again at the steel (of course you can't go back after).

tan, blends in a bit better due to less contrast - 06/27/11 08:11 PM

tan, blends in a bit better due to less contrast
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: tan, blends in a bit better due to less contrast - 07/01/11 08:35 PM

Hi all, long time lurker here and this is my first post. I hate to start on a negative note so I'll try to make this a positive.

It seems to me that the concept is excellent, but the implementation is flawed. I can just see the headlines now... "Man Burned While Pumping Gas - Spark from Jewelry Suspected"

It seems to me that the design should be flipped such that the striker is on the inside of the wrist and the fire steel is on the outside. The firesteel should also be thinner and longer and completely wrapped in paracord so that a casual bump against steel objects in everyday life will not emit a spark.

Other than that, I think your concept of incorporating a fire steel and striker is awesome.

Re: tan, blends in a bit better due to less contrast - 07/02/11 01:29 AM

I thought through all the possibilities. including an alternative as you suggested. in the end, what I've shown is what I feel is best; its exactly what I wanted when I set about to make the best survival bracelet. have you ever used a firesteel? some people can't make a spark if they try. I have ZERO concern that I'm going to strike an accidental spark, or that someone else will for that matter.

Re: tan, blends in a bit better due to less contrast - 07/02/11 02:40 AM

I don't think an accidental spark is much concern. If someone could provide video or describe how an accidental spark has happened to them, please do.

Re: tan, blends in a bit better due to less contrast - 07/02/11 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
It seems to me that the concept is excellent, but the implementation is flawed. I can just see the headlines now... "Man Burned While Pumping Gas - Spark from Jewelry Suspected"

I've been wearing my tan one for two days now. Haven't had any stray sparks or been burned up yet.

new scrapers and colored jute - 08/31/11 09:04 PM

I've got the new scrapers for the BSB bracelets in part because I needed a new supplier and in another part because I wanted to address some of the best input I got on my original design. They are a slightly larger (1/8" wider and just under 1/2" longer than the original). This will allow a more realistic size palette on which to have a local shop engrave personal information. Also more to work with for those wishing to put a cutting edge on one side. The finish is polished which would be more effective for use as a reflective signal. They scrape firesteels every bit as good as the original which is the most important factor!

Also, I've acquired green jute. This picture shows it with a black bracelet. I've got my eye on more jute colors so I can have one for each outfit (joke!)

Re: new scrapers and colored jute - 08/31/11 10:14 PM

I would dig seeing you incorporate a Firesteel Pup and That striker into say a knife handle paracord wrap. That would be neat.

Re: new scrapers and colored jute - 09/01/11 12:24 AM

Interesting thought! perhaps the firesteel button I'm using now could be incorporated into a knife lanyard toggle, maybe drilled the long way. Then the scraper worked right into the weave. Great ideas, thanks. My mind is working.