nice flashlight option for a corporate environment

Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/27/11 05:42 PM

I am fortunate to work in an industrial environment where the dresscode is jeans and a polo shirt. It is no problem to walk around with a Leatherman on your belt, a folding knife clipped to one front pocket and a high output EDC flashlight clipped to the other pocket. However many of our friends here at ETS must meet a more stylish dresscode and having a SureFire sticking out of your pocket is a no-no.

I ran across the new Fenix LD05 today and was struck by this cool looking little 2xAAA flashlight. It uses a regulated Cree emitter and a clickie switch. It has 3 output levels, including 100 ANSI lumens for 1.5 hours. But what caught my fancy is how it is designed to blend in with a higher dresscode environment. You could have this in your shirt or jacket pocket and slide right by. Put a couple of lithium AAA cells in there and you're golden.

I have no connection with Fenix, I just think that the LD05 offers a good option to those who want to EDC a light with serious capability but can't dress casually.
Posted by: buckeye

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/27/11 08:04 PM

Thanks,

That does look nice and description is fairly impressive for the cost. Not sure what they meam by "Toughened ultra clear glass lens", though.

I wonder if it is similar to the Pyrex coating on some other manufacturer's models?

Looking around their site, not just their store site, I don't seem to come across any detailed specifications. I've sent off an email via their "Contact Us" link.

Will provide an update if/when I hear.

Buckeye
Posted by: dweste

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/27/11 08:32 PM

Too expensive unless money is no object.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/27/11 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste

Is there any 2xAAA light you'd recommend that performs as well as the LD05 and costs less?
Posted by: LED

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/27/11 10:21 PM

I agree that modern lights are a bit pricy, but cost is relative and a quality flashlight can be worth its weight in gold. FWIW, the Fenix lights I've owned have performed flawlessly and are very durable.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/27/11 11:20 PM

That may seem to be the case, if all you examine is the initial price. However, it happens that the "expensive"ight will outperform and outlast cheaper lights in such a way that in the long haul they actually are cheaper to operate.

I have used both cheap lights and expensive lights. I prefer somewhat expensive (what I would call "value priced" items). What is really expensive is the light that does not perform when the chips are down. In some situations (caves) it can be a matter of life or death.

There are some lights that do seem to be a bit extravagant, more bling than practical working tools, no matter how reliable. But that is true of many items - think firearms, knives, canteens, stoves, etc.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 12:04 AM

I prefer a PD10 (single CR123 battery 2.9"x.75") myself over the 2 skinny AAA batteries of the LD05 (5.9"x.55") even though the AAA batteries are cheaper and more readily available.

Personally, I am salivating over the new TK35 (4 CR123 batteries, 820 lumens!, 333m throw) At 6.5"x1.7" it is still small enough to fit into a jacket pocket or pants cargo pocket or its belt holster.

BTW, I'm not really sure why wearing a flashlight would be considered a no-no when every bloke has a cell phone holster anyway or you are carrying a barely visible pocket clip knife. JMHO.

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 01:22 AM

I carry two flashlights at all times, even in stuffy corporate environments. Both are 4Sevens, one is a Quark 123 R5 (I have an S2 but I'm not carrying it at the moment) and the backup is a Preon ReVO on my keychain. Both are in my pockets and not noticed until they're needed.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: LED
FWIW, the Fenix lights I've owned have performed flawlessly and are very durable.

I'll second that.

The pen light here looks quite useful for those who have such wardrobe considerations. I don't view Fenix as a company that makes gimmicky stuff just for fun. So, I'm guessing there's a market that will use this light like people use other Fenix lights. Maybe the few people replying in this thread aren't part of that market.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 02:39 AM

Depends on how much you value $50 plus $5 S&H. You can do as well for $20 less walking into your local big box store. But if the name and style are worth $20 to you have at it. There is no accounting for taste or susceptibility to advertising hype.

The cheapest and the most expensive often roll out of the same factory in China. Electrical components that determine actual quality are likely to be the same. Electrical components are commodities and none of the brand name manufacturers produce their own.

You might want to avoid the dollar store models if you aren't careful, and you get a leg up in value by buying a major brand name. Fenix doesn't produce enough unit volume to keep a third-party line running so you are paying a premium for production and line setup and tuning. That is in addition to the name. Which explains why you can get similar value for $20 less.

I spelunked for years with a carbide lamp, an incandescent industrial flashlight, and a small candle lantern. I could completely disassemble and renew/repair all of them in complete dark. The key there was not the outstanding quality of any of those units because all of them were solid but cheap. Rather it was the simplicity. When they became available in the early 80s I dropped one of the spare candles and added a pair of light-sticks. A deep bench is always stronger than shallow one.

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
You might want to avoid the dollar store models if you aren't careful, and you get a leg up in value by buying a major brand name. Fenix doesn't produce enough unit volume to keep a third-party line running so you are paying a premium for production and line setup and tuning. That is in addition to the name. Which explains why you can get similar value for $20 less.

Do you have a link to an example? I view Fenix as a brand that gets you in the ballpark of Surefire, but for quite a bit less money. I think (but I'm not sure) Fenix has quality control, whereas the random no-name doesn't.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I am fortunate to work in an industrial environment where the dresscode is jeans and a polo shirt. It is no problem to walk around with a Leatherman on your belt, a folding knife clipped to one front pocket and a high output EDC flashlight clipped to the other pocket. However many of our friends here at ETS must meet a more stylish dresscode and having a SureFire sticking out of your pocket is a no-no.

I work in a business casual office. I've always dropped the heavier stuff (mini-mag, pocket knife/MT, etc.) into my business bag. Either one of the outside compartments or the organizer section. I keep a mini-LED (Princeton Tec Pulsar II) on my keyring for the usual power outages.

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 03:38 AM

I spelunked for years with a carbide lamp, an incandescent industrial flashlight, and a small candle lantern.

I too used a carbide lamp for many years, both spelunking and SAR - a wonderful technology since you were carrying both light and fire starter in one package (except when you were on the scene of a plane wreck - carbide was then rather inappropriate). I always carried spare felts, jets, sparkers, and rubber washers and I was occasionally glad I did.

I would second Ireckon - can you give an example? I have bought lights at the local big boxes - fortunately for relatively noncritical uses. I will stick with my Fenix models for absolute reliability. I recently rendered first aid to a fellow worker with grand mal seizures. It was a fairly dark environment and my Fenix, available on my key ring, was absolutely critical, especially for checking pupillary response. It has lit every time with great reliability, and due to its variable lighting levels, I am confident I could hike all night with it if necessary. And since it is a keyring light, it goes fine in any work environment.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 04:17 AM

They aren't, all you need to do it look into the reflector and see what LED they are using. Fenix and other better Chinese brand uses the newest bleeding edge LEDs while hardware store variety uses mostly no name LED or many years old models from name brand.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 04:50 AM

Ditto the comments re: modern flashlights. LED's ARE pricier, but unlike the darned MiniMag, you won't be changing a bulb every 3 battery sets. Those costs add up fast.

Besides, it's roughly the price of hte bottom line Surefire.

Every Fenix have had has been pretty impressive and functionally very good.

Golook up the Gatlight ($300, or more) if you want to see overpriced.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 05:08 AM

Streamlight makes some very good quality stylus/penlight models for much less money but they might fall a bit short of being "dressy" enough to pass as a high zoot fountain pen.

As far as cost goes, the highest priced product on the shelf is often cheapest in the long run. Mag-Lites have given me fits with unreliability, and I've found high-pressure Xenon/halogen bulbs tend to burn out at the most inconvenient times...and of course, the bulb often costs half of the what a new light does.

My favorite light right now is my Surefire E1B Backup. It has a powerful LED and takes just one CR123A (a battery I have at least 30 of on hand). It's been bombproof for me, and even though the current price is $160 I'd probably have to buy one again if I lost mine. It's that good!
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 10:54 AM

Corporate people can be funny, all "that'll never happen" untill that happens. I'm lucky to be in a small casual environment too but haven't been so fortunate in the past. Something that's cool, practical and discrete can be tremendously valuable. I'm a huge fan of a good light but I'm not sure I'd spring for that price tag though. Being known as a Scout leader buys me enough cred to get away with a little less corporate camo.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 11:52 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIvd3zzu4Y

I'll raise the stakes with a 4Sevens Preon II Titanium S2 Edition wink

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_332_367&products_id=1927
Posted by: ajax

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 11:52 AM

I would recommend the Quark Preon2 if you're already on 4Seven's site.
http://goo.gl/mtyuV

It's cheaper than the LD05, has lower lows, higher highs and 7 modes vs. 3 from the Fenix.

The Preon2 also comes with a 1xAAA body, a clicky button, and a key chain end so you can play with the configuration. Single or double AAA, clicky or twisty.

It is a far better value than the Fenix and I defy anyone to find this kind of performance or versatility in a big box store...unless it sells this.

Getting back to the original thread title, I would also point to the Streamlight pen light series.
Stylus - http://goo.gl/yKSCB MADE IN USA
Stylus Pro - http://goo.gl/aSTtV
Microstream - http://goo.gl/OixCB

While not as versatile as the Fenix and Quark, they are solid and a great value. All retail below $30 I believe.

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 01:28 PM

Depends on how much you value $50 plus $5 S&H. You can do as well for $20 less walking into your local big box store.

I've not seen any flashlights in a big box store in the same performance class for $20 less. Examples?

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 01:32 PM

Just to add to the chorus, I have several Quarks and a Preon. My 4Sevens lights have been outstanding.

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 03:54 PM

I recommend not over-thinking a flashlight purchase. All of the lights posted here will be obsolete soon anyway.

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 04:16 PM

Flashlight technology has really taken a Great leap Forward. The second string, cheapo models of today are easily the equivalent of the very best available in the 90s. They are a shining example of good tehnology.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Flashlight technology has really taken a Great leap Forward. The second string, cheapo models of today are easily the equivalent of the very best available in the 90s.

Man that is the truth. I remember what a big deal the early pocketable lights were that used a 5mm Nichia LED, then considered the apogee of advanced lighting. Right up there with my old 386 computer...!
Posted by: KenK

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 07:29 PM

I work in an office environment - no suit coats - and prefer to have the light with me in my pocket - like a keychain setup.

My preference is something built around a AAA battery. The thinness of the package makes it tolerable in my pants pocket. I carry an Arc AAA LED light which I like, but don't know what the best offering are these days in that kind of package. I prefer the anodized case over something painted because it rides with a pocket full of keys every day and hardly looks used. Amazing.

I really REALLY like Fenix's single 123 lithum battery LED lights - amazingly powerful for the size - stunning for its size, but find the package a tad too thick for my pocket.

I want to have the choice of at least two settings ... (1) a little light for a long time, or (2) a lot of light for a short time ... in the same package. Is that too much to ask?

A light is as much of a must as the knife.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 08:51 PM

For years I thought Surefire was the only way to go, until about 3 years back when I got a Fenix L1T and that became my every day carry light. It's still going strong even after the washing machine and daily pocket carry. Recently I gifted myself the small 1AAA EO5 for pocket carry and the 2-123 cell PD30r5 for a nice bright light with good runtime.

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
I want to have the choice of at least two settings ... (1) a little light for a long time, or (2) a lot of light for a short time ... in the same package. Is that too much to ask?

Take a look at the ReVO.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/28/11 11:59 PM

I got one of these in silver years ago:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm

It was about $18 at Target.

After roughly four years of entirely reliable and satisfactory service it is still kicking.

Up side is it is $30 cheaper (you could buy three if you include S&H) and slight more compact. Otherwise they are functionally equivalent. Minus the label and bragging rights, of course.

For the price of the Fenix I can buy a perfectly good light, compass, and knife. It is a question of how much you value your money and how careful you are with it.

George Carlin was right - it is all about money. What you do with money; what you do for money.

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/29/11 01:02 AM

Up side is it is $30 cheaper (you could buy three if you include S&H) and slight more compact. Otherwise they are functionally equivalent. Minus the label and bragging rights, of course.

Well, that's new. Fenix means bragging rights now. I've always thought of Fenix as being a poor man's Surefire. I guess I'm behind the times!
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/29/11 01:46 AM

After roughly four years of entirely reliable and satisfactory service it is still kicking.

For the price of the Fenix I can buy a perfectly good light, compass, and knife. It is a question of how much you value your money and how careful you are with it.

George Carlin was right - it is all about money. What you do with money; what you do for money.

If you are happy with it then it works for you, but they aren't comparable, one is like a yugo the other is like a nissan 350z. They all have 4 wheels and an engine, but when you run them side by side you'll easily see why they aren't the same.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/29/11 03:04 AM

So, let me get this right... For $30 less you can buy a single mode flashlight than a similarly sized one that has high, medium and low settings. And you are using a model that doesn't appear to be available, and when it was it was from a brand that had quality issues (I bought two Nuwai lights, and sent them back as they were DOA- if you've had good luck, congratulations).

That's like saying you can buy a single Harbour Freight screwdriver for less than the cost of a quality multitool. Yes, yes you can. You can also make tire sandals for a lot less than buying a good pair of boots, if money is the only object and not capability.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but you are comparing apples and pears here. I'm not saying that you can't get a good light for $20 at this point, you just can't get as much light.

If we want to compare a Fenix apple to a big box apple, let's try this one: the Fenix E01 to a Maglite Solitaire. Both are about the same size, both run on a single AAA, and have exactly one operating mode. I have three E01s, I paid $12-12.50 depending on where I bought them (1 EDC, 1 bug out bag, and one spare in my knife case). I can get a new Solitaire for about $8, and no shipping, but I've retired a number of them. The E01 is brighter (brighter than the standard Mini-Mag, to). The E01 has a much longer battery life. The E01 has no protection over the LED, but I've abused mine in ways that can and has killed Solitaires. The Solitaire does not pass the shower test where I put it on a neck lanyard and take a shower, nor did they like being submerged or run over by a vehicle; the E01 likes it all and the finish is barely even scratched. And being in the front pocket of my EDC bag, it has been slamed and dropped in ways that will kill a regular bulb that has never taken a current.

Actually, I would say that the only entry in Mag's inventory that I would put on par with the E01 in terms of brightness and cost is the Mini-mag, which is several times larger and heavier, costs a little more than twice as much to feed, and is rather a bit more fragile.

Keeping in mind that the only thing I'll ever need to replace on my little Fenix are batteries and maybe O-rings, for more cost, I'd say it is worthwhile.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/29/11 03:13 PM

I'm glad you like it and that it has been dependable for you. I haven't found that to be the case.

I had a couple of those exact lights from Target, branded under the River Rock name, for use as pen lights in medical kits. One totally stopped working right when I needed it and it wasn‘t a battery issue, both have since been replaced with Streamlight penlights. I’d certainly hate to depend on one to navigate a dark trail at night as they are just about bright enough to find something dropped under a desk. They in no way compare to Fenix. My $20 Fenix E05-1AAA is twice as bright as the 2AAA River Rock light and from my experience with other Fenix lights I'd tend to depend on it working when needed a lot more too.
Posted by: Arney

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/29/11 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: rebwa
Recently I gifted myself the small 1AAA EO5 for pocket carry...

My own Fenix E05 just came in the mail today. I'm really liking it. Besides the very unobtrusive form factor of a 1AAA light that disappears into the pants pocket of a suit or trousers (no belt carry necessary), the E05 drew my attention because it uses an optic, instead of a reflector, for a very nice, even flood light. Perfect for just about any short/medium-range illumination need.

The addition of a second, lower mode would've made it ideal for me and would allow me to fully replace the long-running E01 model that I already carry, but I'm not complaining.

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/29/11 07:47 PM

Comparing that light to my EDC Quark 123 R5, I have a dramatically higher output (205 OTF lumens for 1.6 hrs vs maybe 30 emitter lumens) or at the other end of the spectrum a usable amount of light for more than four times as long (4 OTF lumens for 2.5 days).

If the light you bought serves your needs, then that's a good thing. As for me, my money was well spent.
Posted by: Susan

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/30/11 05:06 PM

Buckeye, 'toughened' glass is tempered glass. Not just coated, but all the way through.

Sue
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 04/30/11 06:29 PM

I keep a tiny fauxton ( $.35) on my keychain...does the job.
Posted by: buckeye

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 05/04/11 12:45 AM

For anyone interested, here is the response I received from the Fenix support team today (05.03.2011):

Quote:

Hi Michael,

Here is Fenix manufacturer in China.

Thank you very much for your interest in Fenix LD05.

"Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating" is a very durable glass lens that can not be easy to be broken, meanwhile, the efficiency is high, so the light emitted by the LED is easy to pass through the lens and come out.

Best regards!

PS: Sorry for the late reply due to the Labor day holiday.

Buckeye
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 05/04/11 07:52 PM

Big fan of Fenix. Even bigger fan of 4sevens lights. Very good and fantastic value for money, respectively.

I have a quark mini AA on my keychain. Just a tiny hair bigger than most AAA lights, but 2.7 times the capacity. Twist on = light. Twist off, then on = more light. Repeat = even more light. I am a big fan of sophisticated things that are really supersimple to use.

Ligth levels: 3 lumens = plenty enough for most close proximity things. Used most, and comes on first. 10 lumens = look for something in a large living room. Close to 100 lumens = look for something in a football field.
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment - 05/06/11 06:15 PM

Regarding original flashlight:

Stainless steel head, tail and pocket clip.
https://www.fenix-store.com/popup_image.php?pID=1935&image=1

Features:
Made of durable aircraft grade aluminum

Diameter (head): 0.55 in
Length: 5.9 in
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_419&products_id=1935

Besides it's stated usefulness, it sounds sturdier than a Montblanc as a yawara stick/Kubotan.

Multipurpose.