kit lists in excel?

Posted by: jenks

kit lists in excel? - 04/20/11 07:12 PM

Has anyone done this?

I'm hoping there is someone keen, kind and more computer literate than myself has taken Doug's kit lists and but them into Excel format so you can compare what has gone into each kit side by side.

This came to mind as I was out on the boat this weekend reviewing what was in my ditch bag for expired flares, food, batteries etc. I would love to become a little bit more modular and be able to grab a core kit from my usual carry and just drop it into the ditch bag which would carry boat specific stuff like flares and spare vhf, epirb, anti nausea meds etc.

Someone must have already done this, haven't they? confused

jenks
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: kit lists in excel? - 04/20/11 07:36 PM

I did with my own but not with doug's lists. Not too hard to do at any rate. Good luck
Posted by: ireckon

Re: kit lists in excel? - 04/20/11 07:44 PM

That seems like a good idea before the survival kit is needed. However, I think that mode of thinking could be a hindrance in the midst of an emergency. When I organize stuff, I tend to be compulsive. So, for me personally, I think I need to keep the spreadsheet out of the equation from the beginning. Else, I'll probably go overboard and will want to maintain strict order even during an emergency.
Posted by: dweste

Re: kit lists in excel? - 04/20/11 07:46 PM

Roll your own to be sure it works for you.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: kit lists in excel? - 04/22/11 04:27 AM

I did it for a tool bucket. Does that count?

It is not that difficult to make the lists if you are pulling them from online. Spreadsheet programs have pretty good import functions. I have done it about a million times; maybe less. It wasn't to difficult to learn. The only hard part with making lists is that you need to understand how to organize the data by category.

Have fun.

My $.02