Spot Recalls SPOT Satellite Communicator

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Spot Recalls SPOT Satellite Communicator - 03/31/11 11:14 PM

Spot LLC has issued a product recall on the SPOT Satellite Communicator which is bundled and sold exclusively with the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w. This comes just over a year after Spot had to recall its then recently introduced second generation SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger, or what is now known as SPOT 2. And, as was the case then, it appears the contract manufacturer in China installed a part that was not up to spec.

Details here: http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=324
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Spot Recalls SPOT Satellite Communicator - 03/31/11 11:22 PM

Sad that it does not seem spot has the greatest quality control on their imports. Im All for getting the job done one way or another but as long as the items are up to standards.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Spot Recalls SPOT Satellite Communicator - 04/01/11 01:35 AM

Thanks Doug ... I'll check into it.
I bought a SPOT2 after they fixed the problems with those units.

UPDATE: Looks like the problem affects units that operate in very cold temperatures. Fortunately, I don't have that problem. If I'm in a cold region, I'll try to remember to keep the SPOT device warn using body heat. I'm not sure yet if the SPOT2's are the ones affected, or other receivers.

Pete #2
Posted by: celler

Re: Spot Recalls SPOT Satellite Communicator - 04/01/11 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Pete
<snip> I'm not sure yet if the SPOT2's are the ones affected, or other receivers.<snip>

Basic web research does not indicate that the SPOT2 is implicated in the recall.
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Spot Recalls SPOT Satellite Communicator - 04/02/11 04:20 PM

Thanks for the heads up Doug. I have several friends that just purchased this model.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.com
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Spot Recalls SPOT Satellite Communicator - 04/02/11 06:23 PM

Thanks Doug! I've had a Spot 2 on my shopping list and I'm glad I haven't put out the money yet.
Posted by: celler

Re: Spot Recalls SPOT Satellite Communicator - 04/02/11 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Thanks Doug! I've had a Spot 2 on my shopping list and I'm glad I haven't put out the money yet.

Please take a second look at Doug's post, the Spot 2 is NOT involved in the current recall.