Survival Kit Update

Posted by: Frisket

Survival Kit Update - 03/31/11 02:46 AM

Updated the external bits to my survival kit Hope You all Approve!

Ive added A Winchester Knife (The smaller version of the one Les Stroud uses in some episodes of survivorman which i have the bigger version aswell) A Small travel size Container of Body Powder, 2 Bootlaces, A Silva Starter compass, Burts Chapstick, Bundle of wire, Hankerchief and bandana, Small pair of pliers/wiresnips and 6 feet of cotton string. Inside the Self contained tupperware Kit I only added a tin of burts chapstick aswell so I felt Id rather not empty it again and try to repack that tetris puzzle of madness. Love to hear more advice and feedback!

Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Survival Kit Update - 03/31/11 10:14 AM

The 3 most important keywords to assembling any kit are Location, location and location... WHERE and under what conditions will you use this kit?

Re: Survival Kit Update - 03/31/11 10:34 AM

Im considering it a multipurpose kit for most situations including camping, Day hikes and Possible bug outs.
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: Survival Kit Update - 03/31/11 11:39 AM

Just a thought, I'd tape some kind of cover over the pointed tip of those needlenose pliers, or someday they may put a whole in your carry bag.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 03/31/11 12:44 PM

Great kudos for posting your kit and how it evolves here on ETS! I'll bite the bullet for some constructive criticism.

I'm guessing that this is an update for this Frisket: My Completed Survival Kit

When you use this - do you have a bigger pack with clothes, food, water etc? Do you have separate water bottle somewhere? No kit is used in isolation, but should be considered together with the sum of your other gear, clothes and such.

I still don't know squat of what conditions are like in your area. That being said, I think my comments are fairly generic.

I see no shelter part in here. Squeezing in a garbage bag and/or a space blanket would greatly expand your options on protecting your body from heat, sun, cold and wetness. Or why not the AMK bivy bag? Remove it from the "ball" shaped stuff sack and you have a long, flat rectangular piece (about 2-by8? I'll measure some time later) that you should not have much trouble squeezing into your kit.

I am a big fan of multitools. Does the same job as needle nose pliers, but can also do a lot more. Costs a lot more, too...

I'd also try to sneak in a Snicker's bar or similar. Low blood sugar = your head doesn't work. Supplement the STOP acronym by having a little drink and snack really improves your problem solving capacity.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Survival Kit Update - 03/31/11 08:11 PM

Mostly harmless has the correct - shelter is missing here (and in most peoples kits). A disposable poncho and a space blanket would be cheap, compact and handy (even with their limitations they would be 100% better than nothing). I like ponchos as they can be useful even if you aren't bivvying up.

Food also useful - even a couple of hard candies would give a little boost when needed.

Also a plastic bag and puritabs

Your vision of what you want to do is fine - I would drop the body powder to add some of these things

Re: Survival Kit Update - 03/31/11 11:11 PM

As a Complete "Bug Out Bag" I Keep my camping gear ready to go with a Duffle bag of clothing aswell. Soon Im going to Include a smaller satchel with more Urban based tools and safety items for a more complete Kit. As For multitools I have a Leatherman Kick I Often EDC and plan to Have on my hip with a Fixed blade at all times on Campouts and hikes. The Pliers are there cuz they were Free and makes the kit feel more complete to me if I end up without the leatherman.

As For Shelter Im still pondering on this Im sure the smallest of the AMK Bivys would fit in place of the Powder. I may go with a Poncho since they are often thinner when purchased then the spaceblankets.

As For puritabs I may aswell throw in my Coghlans stuff ( http://www.coghlans.com/products/drinking-water-treatment-9586)

Im not to big into the water purification tablets but these were free aswell so might aswell.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/01/11 02:25 AM

Ditto on the granola bars...Food is good
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/01/11 07:33 PM

You have the obligatory compass,but there is no mention of a map. In most land navigation situations, a good map, preferably topographic, and the ability to use it, are of much more importance than the compass, which you will likely need only infrequently. i would retain the compass, however, because when you need it, you really need it.

I don't believe I noticed any sort of signal miorror, or a likely alternative. I highly recommend a signal mirror.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/01/11 07:50 PM

Frisket, I don't see fire. You said these are the external bits, does that mean there's more to this kit that's not listed here?

I've been looking at that knife and thinking about getting one for a while. How do you like it?

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/02/11 12:28 AM

Yes There is more to the kit as Mostlyharmless Stated this is in conjunction to this Thread Frisket: My Completed Survival Kit

(If you wanna comment on that Kit id love if you did so in this Thread instead =D)

As For the Knife It is Pretty Decent I have not used ither one much at all as these were my backup knifes. The Smaller one Is a nice camp knife size at 4inch blade length with a 1/8th inch spine. It fits well in my hand unlike its bigger brother which is alittle large and cumbersome in comparison. The larger one does not fit my hand well at all and feels awkward to handle as compared to another knife say the Buck 119 special which is around the same size but handles much better. The Blade shape is nice and almost identical on both sizes. The sheaths are alittle on the cheap side even cheaper then the one that comes with the buck 119 but they will do the job. Overall If I found these knives at walmart again in ither size Id most likely pick up another extra per size as they are inexpensive and yet decent useable quality. As I stated Les stroud often uses The larger size in His show and has no complaints from what I read on the net.
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/03/11 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You have the obligatory compass,but there is no mention of a map. In most land navigation situations, a good map, preferably topographic, and the ability to use it, are of much more importance than the compass, which you will likely need only infrequently. i would retain the compass, however, because when you need it, you really need it.

I don't believe I noticed any sort of signal miorror, or a likely alternative. I highly recommend a signal mirror.

A compass without a map is still extremely useful. Primarily to help ensure one is traveling in a straight line, which is not easy.

Prior to today's electronic devices it was not possible to have a map (with enough detail to be worthwhile) for every place that one may be traveling. It is one thing to stock up on quality topo maps when one is planning a trip, but when stocking a general purpose kit...

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/03/11 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul D.

A compass without a map is still extremely useful. Primarily to help ensure one is traveling in a straight line, which is not easy.

This is a good example of why it is difficult to evaluate a kit or gear without reference to the situation in which it will be used.

In mountainous country, where your routes are constrained by canyons and/or ridges, you rarely, if ever, travel in a straight line. Correspondingly, you rarely ever need or use a compass, orienting yourself primarily to terrain features. Travel in a straight line is hardly ever accomplished.

On large bodies of water, the ability to follow a (reasonably) straight line is paramount. I have used my compass more often in one fog bound three hour paddle just offshore in Southern California than in about five decades of wilderness travel on land.

But if we talking about land navigation in most situations, a map is primary, and of greater utility than a compass.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/03/11 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
[quote=Paul D.]. . . But if we talking about land navigation in most situations, a map is primary, and of greater utility than a compass.
. . . and then you find yourself under a canopy in the woods somewhere and you can't see any terrain features just the forest through the trees.

** A compass is universal **

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/03/11 09:08 PM

Putting a Map Within my kit wouldn't make much sense. I do not know my destination if I was to go out camping and anymore more then a local map would not fit. In short a map in a pack of this size and of this nature with no intended route to take or location to be in it would be impractical. If I was to say plan a trip with lots of effort and obtain a map I most certainly would place one inside the pack but till then no maps.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/03/11 11:02 PM

I always carry a compass.

In addition to that, I have topo maps downloaded to my iPhone in iTopoMaps. If my phone is working but there's no signal, I still have maps of everywhere I expect to be. The Google Maps app, as excellent as it is, doesn't work without a data connection.

It's too bulky to have maps of every place I might be, even in my car kit. Printed maps are awesome and I carry them when I'm off the trail, but otherwise I generally do not.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/03/11 11:25 PM

It looks good!

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/04/11 01:17 AM

I have been in that situation many times, with no particular problems - again, with at least some topographic relief. If the woods are truly flat for a long distance, then you have a situation somewhat comparable to open water and a compass becomes potentially more useful, but that is a fairly hypothetical situation.

Don't forget that a compass is not the only way one can stay oriented. Astronomical features,, both day and night, are reliable, and not subject to local variation and deviation, as is magnetism. Fog and heavy clouds can require one to fall back on the compass.

By the way, let me be clear, although I rarely need a compass, I, too, will carry one, but always with a map. Frankly, I don't understand Frisket's comment, but if it works for him - fine.

Ounce for ounce, I probably get more value and utility out of the map I carry than any other item in my kit.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/04/11 06:44 AM

A compass is useful, but if we are using without a map, then a mini compass will work fine (as you are only looking to stay in one direction, not precision orienteering). And a button compass takes so little space it seems worth packing.

But I agree this is always scenario dependant
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/04/11 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
As For Shelter Im still pondering on this Im sure the smallest of the AMK Bivys would fit in place of the Powder. I may go with a Poncho since they are often thinner when purchased then the spaceblankets.

Are we all talking about shelter going into this same bag? As you know, I have this same bag. I'm thinking "no" on the shelter if this is the bag I'm using. The bag is too small, simply put. If you consider a bandanna to be shelter, then yes I guess shelter is included in my bag.

The thing about a bag this small is that it forces me to plan for my most likely survival scenarios, rather than for every possible scenario. Among my most likely survival scenarios are (1) a major California earthquake and (2) trouble out in the snow. For a major California earthquake, finding shelter after the quake will likely not be an issue. If both my house and car are destroyed (unlikely), there will still be plenty of buildings, trees or debris around to make a shelter. In the snow, I'll be wearing my shelter on me among my clothing, and this bag is too small for carrying appropriate snow shelter along with everything else I would need.

Obviously, your situation may be completely different than mine.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/05/11 12:52 AM

Thanks for the inspiration frisket! My son saw yours while I was on-line yesterday and asked what was in it and why. We were putting away some gear tonight and he found the bag of extra stuff that lives in the bottom of the closet. He wanted to try to put a kit together with it, and with yours in mind, here's what he came up with:

-obusform fanny pack, with a main compartment, waterbottle pocket and a second open stuff pocket
-water bottle
-1 hot wheels car
-buck folding knife in nylon sheath
-cheap multi-tool
-$3.27 in change
-lip balm with SPF
-emerg mylar blanket
-emerg rain poncho
-red bandana
-1 large red garbage bag
-2 plastic shopping bags
-2 bic lighters
-pill vial with: strike-anywhere matches, cotton balls and tinder-quick
-fox 40
-3 feet duct tape
-small spool of thead
-pair of shoe laces
-mini flashlight & extra batteries
-2 pocket warmers
-2 packs each of bug spray and sun screen
-purse-sized pack of kleenex
-1 pack dental floss
-1 ganola bar
-he even made a self-contained first aid kit with: scissors, gauze pads, banadaids, polysporin and a triangular bandage

Not bad for an almost 8 year old! Now i just need to figure out how to get the knives and fire out until he learns how to use them safely. wink

EDIT: I'm not trying ti hijack the thread. Just saying "thanks" and showing an indirect result of your sharing.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/05/11 01:54 AM

Neato =D Did you Get to check out the other thread in the gallery of the rest of my kit?

Ireckon,

Yeah I agree the Bag while on the large size for a kit is still pretty small tho Imma attempt to fit something hopefully in it. If I can ill be sure to post it.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/05/11 11:18 AM

You've put together a great kit frisket. Others had made good suggestions, like adding a shelter element or water purifying tabs. I'm learning and rethinking my own kits as we go. (You put me over the edge to buy that winchester knive I've been eyeing.) I've got a question: why tupperware and not a metal container that you could boil water in? I've got a few with lids that appear to be about the same size, and there was a thread a little while ago that showed off little baking pans that would probably work well too. They won't carry water like the tupperwear but carrying a water bottle, or the suggested turkey roasting bag, would solve that problem

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/05/11 01:11 PM

That thread with the baking pans was mine lol

Ive always used tupperware for my kits as they have always been the easyest to find in the most abundant of shapes and sizes. The Current tupperware im using was a easy find at a store i frequent...now how many metal containers the aprox same size with a sealable lid that do not have paint or liners have i found...Zero. I know Theres a bunch online and i was actually looking at bento box's but the price the quality and the availability on trustworthy websites is lacking. Not to mention that the price is almost always right on tupperware as the current one I shown was 3 for 1$ at a local store. The only issues with tupperware is Depending on the plastic type they will shatter with impact and they cannot be used to boil water. This can easily be offset by adding aluminum foil or carrying a hip flask. Often times or not I try my best to think out of the conventional box and look at everything at a this isnt what it was made for but it sure as heck can do it standpoint. One of the items was a hip flask which can easily boil water and store it, not very much but at its size and shape it can disappear easily in a pouch, pack or pocket.

One Metal container Im looking at is this lunch box/tray/bento.

http://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Stainless-Steel-Lunch-Container/dp/B002G9UHY2/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Tho Some of the Negative reviews, which seem to outshine the positives, sound alittle alarming.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/05/11 02:16 PM

I agree with you about the virtues and drawbacks of Tupperware, although, theoretically, you could do stone boiling in a plastic container. I have never tried this technique, but it is mentioned in all the survival manuals, so it must be good, right? (In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice,they are different - according to yogi Berra).

I solve the metal container problem by slipping a cup onto my canteen, where it takes up minimal space, ready to make me a nice cup of tea.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/05/11 02:34 PM

I would figure the rock would melt threw the plastic? While boiling In plastic bottles over a fire is possible it is only possible because the water is in direct contact with the plastic. When putting a rock into a plastic container your applying direct heat to the plastic with no buffer or displacement.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/05/11 03:59 PM

As I understand the technique, you do indeed have water in the plastic container, or basket, or whatever normally flammable container you are using. That is your buffer. Again, I have no practical experience with the technique. For me, it is far simpler to carry along a metal container, even something as simple as a can of fruit juice. The top of the line is a titanium 700 ml cup, light, strong, and expensive.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/05/11 05:20 PM

I would figure the rock would melt threw the plastic? While boiling In plastic bottles over a fire is possible it is only possible because the water is in direct contact with the plastic. When putting a rock into a plastic container your applying direct heat to the plastic with no buffer or displacement.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. You could of course put a bed of cool rocks in the bottom or hold the hot rock with a pair of pliers. (Knife + green branch + a little ingenuity = pliers).

No, I'm not tempted to test out water boiling in tupperware containers. I've updated my too-large-for-a-pocket PSK with this aluminium container: http://www.adventuresurvivalequipment.com/adventurer-survival-kit-box.html. I got mine from a local store, but I am 95% sure it is the same container.

SHELTER:
And yes, this box also holds the venerable AMK bivy bag - just take it out of the pouch; the AMK bag is folded into a rectangle about 2-by-6" which then is rolled and put into this box. I would be very surprised if you couldn't find room for it in your bag.

Come to think of it, I probably should snap some pics of my updated PSK's wink

ALU BAG BOILING: The idea of using alu-foil to boil in is not a reliable option, IMHO. I know Doug Ritter has some foil that could serve as a makeshift container for this purpose. I am not sayin it wouldn't work - I say that I personally remain sceptical and prefer to plan with more robust options.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/05/11 11:03 PM

That thread with the baking pans was mine lol

LOL!! Sorry about that frisket. And kudos for the dollar store thread!
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/06/11 12:59 AM

One Metal container Im looking at is this lunch box/tray/bento.

http://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Stainless-Steel-Lunch-Container/dp/B002G9UHY2/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Tho Some of the Negative reviews, which seem to outshine the positives, sound alittle alarming.

Nice! They do look good. I've been using a waterprood Sterilite inside a fanny pack for my PSK, but I like the idea of a steel one if the quality is good.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/06/11 04:09 AM

Im digging that Alum case Looks a lot like the BCB one.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/06/11 11:57 AM

Just added A 3 inch Pocket mirror I snagged as a promotional give away....Amazing the things companies hand out for free...

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/06/11 12:05 PM

Neato =D Did you Get to check out the other thread in the gallery of the rest of my kit?

We did indeed. I was impressed and he was quite interested. I think the bag caught his attention and sparked the interest, and the more he saw the more he asked about. wink

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/06/11 12:15 PM

Well It took many years and Doug's help to get to this point. At one point of time in my childhood My survival kit was a "Junk drawer" Kit Mostly consisting of a Boys Imagination Running wild as he played Army outside lol.
Posted by: DavidEnoch

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/06/11 12:19 PM

TP?
David Enoch

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/06/11 12:21 PM

Didn't think of that one There Davey.....Crap...
Posted by: comms

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/08/11 01:35 PM

Last Fall I picked up a Jeep Wrangler. Living in the SW, I have the hard top off as often as I can. It has forced me to rethink my BOB, 72 hour car it, and my own EDC (backpack) as I pretty much can't leave anything laying out and there is no trunk except my console.

I took my backpack EDC kit which like a coy fish, grew as large as the pond it was placed in, and have stashed it in my console. Now I am looking at smaller kits, items to have at all times.

Point is, I appreciate all the threads on personal EDC and survival kits. Thanks.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/08/11 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: comms

my backpack EDC kit which like a coy fish, grew as large as the pond it was placed in...

Point is, I appreciate all the threads on personal EDC and survival kits. Thanks.

That keeps happening to me too, comms! ETS is a mixed blessing. It helps me get smaller but always makes me think of new things to add. I'm working on my office kit today while home with 2 sick kids. They think I'm nuts at the moment but I'm having a blast. Thanks gang!

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/08/11 04:18 PM

I personally keep my kits in size by restraining them with containers and packs. Like the pouch I show it will always stay that size, now the WEIGHT may change but that's another concern to think about afterwards. Rarely do i attach anything to my packs or pouches as its just way to bulky for me. I dont wanna look like a pack mule on a trail nor do I want a buncha stuff wagging, wacking and swinging all over with every step I take. Thats why the Alum water bottles with the "handy" clips on their caps confuses me. Who in the world wants a big bottle of water flapping around on them throwing off your balance and smacking you around as you walk?

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/08/11 04:29 PM

I agree frisket. The pack mule look is definitely out and all that clanging and banging? no thanks!

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/08/11 04:34 PM

Its strange tho cause alota the new cheapo survival/camping stuff slap carabiners all over everything to "verify" that its for camping/survival.....The things people buy into these days....

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/08/11 05:10 PM

LOL! Yup, a carabiner is a sure sign of authcenticity and survivability. wink
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/08/11 07:49 PM

Cheap carabiners made in china and slapped onto those products add unsubstantiated value to an unsuspecting consumer who doesn't know any better. I suspect we would not be so easily fooled, eh?. Wait, what's that hanging from my belt loop?

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/15/11 01:05 PM

New addition to the survival kit! You will NEVER guess this crazy thing i got as a promotional giveaway (I Swear these companies have no idea this stuffs going in a survival kit)

A Rubber band workout thingy! Its 5 foot by 6 inch and paper thin!

http://www.resistaband.com/products/5-foot-individually-wrapped-pre-cut-exercise-bands

The one I got is the green one.

SO many uses i can see for this when properly cut up. Slingshot, Sling spear thing, tourniquet, traps you name it.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/16/11 11:03 AM

Nice! Compact, light and 1001 uses. Good idea Frisket!
Posted by: 6pac

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/16/11 06:48 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I think that Joerg uses that brand or maybe the Theraband type for all his slingshots.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/17/11 01:16 PM

Neat I wonder what strength color he uses.
Posted by: 6pac

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/17/11 06:52 PM

He uses different strengths, but then again, he doubles up on some of his slingshot bands for more power. I think that black is the strongest. Most of the slingshots that he makes are made with flat bands.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/17/11 08:43 PM

If there is a good chance you may end up in territory that is new to you, and some need to navigate and return to specific locations, you might want to toss in a couple of 3x5 cards and a pencil stub.

With a pencil stub and something to write on you can take notes so you don't have to remember which way you turned and how far you traveled. Under pressure human memory fails, gets confused, and things often come out backward.

On one hike there was a very distinctive tree I would pass on the right going in. But on the left going out. Or was it the other way round? I can picture it in my mind both ways because I've seen it both ways. I just can't remember for sure which is which and it defines a fork in the trail so it makes a big difference. This sort of thing is where having a note telling you which way can save you.

Under pressure, shy of food, slightly dehydrated, tired, worried, distracted, and with people dependent on you is when you need to take notes. Things get really tough and you can set up checklists. If you know you have to take the third fork to the left you could check off each fork in turn so you don't forget one. Sounds silly that anyone might lose count counting to three, but it happens. The human brain is creative and a very powerful tool for inference. It is a lousy recording device. With lives on the line don't count on your memory.

Pilots, and increasingly surgeons, rely on checklists.

Besides 3by5 card stock and a pencil are good tinder. Lots of uses.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/17/11 09:07 PM

I was thinking the same thing today Art. Note taking and tinder are two excellent reasons to carry pencil and paper. If your pen runs out of ink you are sol. If your pencil needs sharpening, just pull out your knife.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/17/11 09:50 PM

I totally agree with you about the utility of paper and pencil, although a ballpoint will write on skin, which I almost always have with me - can't recall any exceptions. But this being the digital age, press your camera into service. I am just realizing with a digital camera and a half way decent memory card, there is no realistic limit to the number of photos you can take, so you can take pictures of critical junctions, distinctive landmarks, the way the trail looks on the way back home - whatever suits your fancy. If you don't need them, just delete and wait for another day.

I've just got a little point and shoot, but it has capabilities superior to any camera I have ever used, which includes several types, from subminiatures to 35mm to 4x5 models. Digitals rock!

Just wait until my batteries run out some fine day - wonder what I will post then?

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/17/11 10:12 PM

LOL @ Hikermor!

Good idea about the digital camera. Do you use a system to remember what way you're facing when you take the shot?

Blackberry or cel phone memory often lets you rename the pictures, and that could be a useful way to index them. I haven't seen a camera that does, but there's probably a way to keep track at the time of shooting that I haven't thought of. (a sign in the picture maybe, to act like a lable?)

I love the idea of having a library of pics, in trail order, that you can refer to on the fly! I recently had to lead a hike in an area I was unfamiliar with (the intended leader, who knows the place like the back of his hand, had an accident and couldn't make it at the last minute.) A photo reference would have given me more piece of mind.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/17/11 11:51 PM

I must admit that I have never used this technique, but it seems perfectly reasonable. I am still making the adjustment to digital photos, and just getting a glimmering of what a game changer they are.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/18/11 01:31 PM

I have a small notebook in the tupperware portion of my kit and the small red pencil that cam with The DR Kit. I may add a Carpenters pencil and maybe some folded up copy paper.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/18/11 02:57 PM

I've always advocated the use of a grease pencil (China Writer) sharpened by peelaway paper so you can write on a slick surface... not a fine point, but offers advantages...used them for years writing on lab glassware but kind of hard to find at Staples/Office Depot now that I'm retired

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/18/11 06:14 PM

Im sure Arts/Crafts store will have those pencils Les.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/18/11 06:26 PM

thanks Frisket...not one of my usual shopping locations, but will check

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/18/11 06:28 PM

If you have a Michaels Id check there first they have a large amount of art stuff.

Re: Survival Kit Update - 04/18/11 07:03 PM

Grease pencil. Wonder how flammable that is..... could we use it like magnesium?