lighter safety

Posted by: ScouterMan

lighter safety - 03/27/11 02:29 PM

If this has been covered before, I apologize.

I am upgrading my fire starting kits in both my "regular" hiking backpack and my BOB. I have never carried a lighter before, but was thinking of adding a simple BIC lighter to each kit.

I have read about leakage and inadvertent ignition in other forums and wanted to get the input of members here.

What is the safest way to carry a lighter for "long term" storage? Are there any tricks to preventing leakage or inadvertent ignition?

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: lighter safety - 03/27/11 03:13 PM

mostly just wrap a rubber band under the thumb switch - keeps 'em from leaking
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: lighter safety - 03/27/11 03:34 PM

In long-term storage, the other issue you might face is the flint starting to swell. It's probably a slow reaction with moisture in the air. Consider wrapping or sealing the lighter in a bag. Check operation once a year and before major trips.

If the flint does stick, you can usually dislodge it by whacking the lighter's base, hard, on a fixed surface. I've resurrected quite a few that way. I've also experimented with a teflon spray lube, which doesn't seem to interfere with sparking ability; but I haven't used it long enough to say if it works.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: lighter safety - 03/27/11 05:16 PM

I have sprinkled mini Bics throughout my packs for years and I have never noticed any leakage or had any problems. Matches in a waterproof container definitely do not leak and they are quite dependable. They have also always worked for me in tight situations.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: lighter safety - 03/27/11 07:57 PM

Given that they contain significant amounts of potentially explosive gas and a sparking device that produces highly reactive and hot sparks lighters butane lighters are remarkably safe.

My understanding is that when disposable butane lighter were first sold in the early 70s the airlines wouldn't allow them on flights for fear the pressure change might cause them to explode. There were also stories about unfortunate welder/s who suffered from an explosion when welding slag hit the pressurized lighter. Neither risk was demonstrated and are mostly considered urban myth.

That said there is some risk. Out of curiosity I tossed a full-size Bic into a campfire. I was expecting an explosion worthy of a TV movie. What I got was a pop and flare. I wouldn't want to get too close, burns are no fun, but it isn't really like you're carrying a grenade that might detonate and kill everyone close by.

It isn't a safety tip but I've experimented with spraying silicone on Bic lighters to keep the flint and striker wheel from getting wet with water, which makes striking more difficult until it dries, or corroding in storage. Seems to help. Coating the metal several times with spray silicone, allowing each coat to dry before respraying, makes water shake right off.

Corrected for spelling. One of these days I'll learn how to write and edit before I post.
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: lighter safety - 03/27/11 10:21 PM

I carry a BIC lighter in my kit.

But when the temperature drops below 30 I find the lighter more trouble than it's worth.

I appreciate Art's comment about throwing it in the fire. I've wondered about that.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz
Posted by: TimDex

Re: lighter safety - 03/28/11 03:24 AM

For what it's worth I've sometimes found that, with a Bic that won't work, holding down the button without hitting the spark wheel, for a few second, and letting go, and then holding down the button again and hitting the wheel for a spark starts it up. Not sure why, probably letting enough butane out that it could be ignited. Tim
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: lighter safety - 03/28/11 04:03 AM

30 years and the only time I couldn't get a Bic lighter to work was above 12,500 ft in cool (maybe 40*F) breezy whether. FWIW, even a regular paper match wouldn't light under those conditions, it would just sputter and die-out. The only other things that's stopped them is running out of fuel or getting wet.

I've found mini-Bic lighters in boxes of old camping gear that hadn't been used for over 5 years that still worked fine every try. I've carried them in my pockets and in my gear, and have left them in my car in the sun with 120*F temperatures and never had one leak, melt or explode. I've used them out in single-digit temperatures (just keep them warm in your pocket). Sometimes the striker wheel will get stuck, but a few smacks followed by persuasion with a gloved-thumb will get it working in quick order.

In my FAK's and other kits I usually put them in a small pill-size zip-lock bag to keep them dry. Other than that, no special care required.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: lighter safety - 03/28/11 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
There were also stories about unfortunate welder/s who suffered from an explosion when welding slag hit the pressurized lighter. Neither risk was demonstrated and are mostly considered urban myth.

The BIC does not explode. The slag can melt a hole in the plastic though. This makes the gas leak into your clothes where it can be ignited. You lose your lighter and depending on the amount of gas and your personal luck you may suffer first degree burns. Thatīs not lethal but it does not feel too well. I witnessed that once.
So play it save and do not carry that lighter in your pocket for such work.
Posted by: comms

Re: lighter safety - 03/28/11 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: ScouterMan
If this has been covered before, I apologize.

I am upgrading my fire starting kits in both my "regular" hiking backpack and my BOB. I have never carried a lighter before, but was thinking of adding a simple BIC lighter to each kit.

I have read about leakage and inadvertent ignition in other forums and wanted to get the input of members here.

What is the safest way to carry a lighter for "long term" storage? Are there any tricks to preventing leakage or inadvertent ignition?

Thanks in advance.

Potential leak & inadvertent ignition problem with BIC? I'd say infinitesimal. Especially with all the child proofing done on them today, most are a 3-stage ignition-saftey latch, roll flint wheel, hold fluid release tab down)

Long term just keep it as dry as you can manage. The fluid will evaporate in high heat over a factor of months, unlike zippos that will evap in a matter of days (though a made to be refilled).

Mini-Bics in bright colors are great. Put them in all your bags, your SO's bag/purses, in your vehicles. I even carry one in my running pack.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: lighter safety - 03/28/11 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: comms
Especially with all the child proofing done on them today, most are a 3-stage ignition-saftey latch, roll flint wheel, hold fluid release tab down)

The first thing I do with Bics are rip off that child resistant tab, makes turn the wheel and ignite that much easier especially with cold hands.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: lighter safety - 03/28/11 06:30 PM

My solution: A small lighter case made of PET plastic (from a recyclable PET bottle) and some duct tape.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=214424#Post214426

Don't know if it's really worth the effort or not. For every day use I'd say just carry two. But for lighters that reside in kits it makes sense to have a little extra effort to prevent the lever to be pressed down and empty the lighter.

(I regard the safety hazard of BICs as infitesimal small)
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: lighter safety - 03/28/11 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I've never experience inadvertant ignition with a Bic and frankly don't think that's a realistic concern.

I HAVE had leakage due to breakage - once in the cargo pocket of my pants from a fall, and twice in my pack from rough handling of gear during extremely cold weather (brittle plastic).

I simply moved my lighter deeper into my pack with it had more cushioning. It's a little less convenient to get to but how often do you need immediate access to your lighter? If I was looking for a different way to protect it I'd look for a hard case and put it inside along with some tinder.
I keep a standard sized lighter in an Altoids chewing gum (not mints) tin. With a little bit of something to keep things from rattling, it's a good fit. I keep it in my pocket as part of my EDC.

HJ
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: lighter safety - 03/28/11 11:33 PM

The zip-tie method has worked for me,for many yrs.now!ALL of my equipment/kits have Bic lighters,When the Butane runs out,you still have a decent Spark generator for tinderquiks/pj cotton,etc.I suggest to Carry many means of Ignition,Redundancy!
Posted by: Ren

Re: lighter safety - 03/29/11 08:05 PM

Perhaps get one of them lipo safe bags used to prevent erupting overcharged batteries causing disaster.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: lighter safety - 03/29/11 08:43 PM

I cut a bike inner tube (basically, a rubber band) and wrapped it under the button. That's probably an unnecessary precaution, but the cost/benefit ratio is low. So, I do it anyway.
Posted by: medanum6298

Re: lighter safety - 03/30/11 06:28 AM

I have sprinkled mini Bics throughout my packs for years and I have never noticed any leakage or had any problems
Posted by: Russ

Re: lighter safety - 01/05/13 05:20 PM

Resurrecting this because I too found a Bic recently.

I was out walking the dog this AM and as we were crossing a frost covered grass field, I saw a yellow Bic lighter lying in the grass -- yellow is very visible. It was covered in frost and obviously had been out since yesterday. I cleaned off the frost & grass clinging to it and dropped it in my pocket.

Once it warmed up to ambient in the house I gave it a try and it fired up on the first attempt. Short term freezing and frost seems to have had no impact at all. Still half full of butane too.

Not exactly a valuable find, but free is great when it works.

Re: lighter safety - 01/05/13 08:33 PM

I have always been impressed with the reliability of Bics, although I understand they are limited by cold and high altitude. In relatively normal conditions, if I have a Bic and a backup I figure I am ready.
Posted by: Russ

Re: lighter safety - 01/05/13 08:54 PM

Yep, very reliable. I really like the yellow color of this one and the fact that its already proven itself with an overnight. I put it in the CRKT tin that came with my Ritter RSK Mk5. It takes up a lot of room in the tin, but then again, fire can be a valuable commodity.
Posted by: spuds

Re: lighter safety - 01/05/13 08:58 PM

Big fan of Bics,and that metal thing over flint wheel allows you to use it with wet hands.

Re: lighter safety - 01/07/13 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
It takes up a lot of room in the tin, but then again, fire can be a valuable commodity.

If you consider a Bic includes tinder, it's not much room at all. A size comparison to a tiny ferro rod by itself is not an accurate comparison because the ferro rod still needs a scraper and tinder to get a flame going. Once you add the extra stuff, you're well over the size of a mini Bic. A size comparison to matches is fair, but one match is good for one flame, while a mini Bic is good for 100+ flames. A mini Bic is about the volume of 10 good matches.

Re: lighter safety - 01/07/13 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
then again, fire can be a valuable commodity.
Classic understatement! In many situations, fire is literally the difference between life and death.
Posted by: celler

Re: lighter safety - 01/08/13 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
<snip>If you consider a Bic includes tinder, it's not much room at all.<snip>

Are you saying the ability to produce a flame for several seconds without burning your hand negates the need for tinder? I guess in some situations that would be true.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: lighter safety - 01/08/13 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: celler

Are you saying the ability to produce a flame for several seconds without burning your hand negates the need for tinder? I guess in some situations that would be true.

The Bic usually can ignite fuel at the kindling level. So tinder is not really needed. It still is adviseable to use tinder as the supply in the Bic is limited.
Posted by: Stephen

Re: lighter safety - 01/09/13 05:54 PM

Bumped, tossed, smacked around in pockets and otherwise. Never had one leak or explode. Unless you dunk it and the components rust they are worry free. I found a BIC on the ground while snowshoeing last week which had been there a long time. After thawing it out it actually still worked. I was a little shocked.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: lighter safety - 01/11/13 03:47 AM

Recently Zippo has purchased Ronson lighter company and still let them manufacture and sell their own Products. In my Survival kit I have a ronson Jetlite from before they were puchased.

Comparing it to the post zippo product the newer version seems more sturdy and well made for the same price.

Imma replace all my jetlites with the newer version. Comparison pictures to come.

A question is which to put in my newer kit? jetlite or Minibic? They both have their pros and cons.

Re: lighter safety - 01/11/13 04:19 AM

The Grey is the new the Dark Silver is the old.

The new one has a better screw design being in the center and the shell seems to be made of a better material with a much better tho different coating. Very similar but the new grey has better feeling/looking materials including the white plastic. it also has what looks to be less cheapo disposable parts such as the small piece of foam under the fuel hinge using a metal spring instead.

Re: lighter safety - 01/11/13 07:19 AM

Originally Posted By: celler

I'm saying compare apples to apples. A while ago, I would compare the size of a Bic directly to the size of a ferro rod, but that's an apples to oranges comparison. Tinder is the the critical material that readily ignites from a spark to make a flame. The Bic already has tinder in there (fuel) to make a flame. In contrast, with a ferro rod, you need to add a scraper and tinder (e.g., cotton). So, the overall size of that package is bigger, and if your plan is to make 20 fires or so, then that ferro rod package is that much bigger.

Now, I still carry extra tinder with a Bic so I don't quickly burn up the fuel, but in a worst case scenario there is a reliable shot at starting a full fledged fire without the extra tinder.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: lighter safety - 01/11/13 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Recently Zippo has purchased Ronson lighter company and still let them manufacture and sell their own Products. In my Survival kit I have a ronson Jetlite from before they were puchased.

Comparing it to the post zippo product the newer version seems more sturdy and well made for the same price.

Great info Frisket, thank you. Does this Jet Lite on Amazon look like it's the new one?

Also, how tough is it to dry out a piezo lighter that got wet? I know with the old-school Bics they wouldn't light if wet but they dried pretty easily then worked fine. Will the piezos recover like this as well after getting dunked?

Re: lighter safety - 01/12/13 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Great info Frisket, thank you. Does this Jet Lite on Amazon look like it's the new one?

Also, how tough is it to dry out a piezo lighter that got wet? I know with the old-school Bics they wouldn't light if wet but they dried pretty easily then worked fine. Will the piezos recover like this as well after getting dunked?

Holy Toledo 13$!!! At walmart they are a few cents under 4$ Honestly I couldnt tell you they look identical on the outside if youre not looking at the bottom. The packaging for the jetlite went from blue to a black/red/yellow Combo in the change.

Anything you find online unless it states its post zippo is most likely the old ronsons since walmart only JUST recently switched to the newer ones.

Check out your local Large chain Pharmacy too they tend to carry um.

Just ran it under water a few good hard blows into the torch bit and it lights like nothing. Not that extensive but im sure you can find more on youtube about um.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: lighter safety - 01/12/13 10:00 PM

These cheap dollar store lighters are still one of the best available lighters. You can see the fuel level and they are highly adjustable.

Posted by: yee

Re: lighter safety - 01/13/13 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: BruceZed
These cheap dollar store lighters are still one of the best available lighters. You can see the fuel level and they are highly adjustable.

I have been less than impressed by these dollar store lgihters. The silver cap likes to fall off as they are just press fit. If this happens, the flint falls off. I EDC a lighter and I went through about 3 before I gave up. Each lasted about 2-4 months in my pocket (loose).

Conway Yee
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: lighter safety - 01/13/13 12:36 AM

There are quite a variety of these dollar store lighters around. Sometimes I can find them for 3/$1.00.

Quality control seems to be variable from brand to brand and batch to batch. They're generally knockoffs of the old classic Cricket lighter, which was perhaps not as tough or reliable as a Bic but was definitely worth having on you. I recall that the adjustable flame saved a lot of singed knuckles when lighting camp stoves, for example.

If you light a lot of fires, or stoves, these are useful and cost-effective. I stuff them into all my jackets (after testing) as spares. For critical situations, though, you'd better have backup.

My 2c.