I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people!

Posted by: Blast

I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/13/11 03:24 AM

800 motorists rescued in ND blizzard

Once again, I'm REALLY glad I no longer live up there.
-Blast
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/13/11 03:52 AM

They Don't,They have 796,the other 4 were Rescuers!:)
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/13/11 05:15 AM

My niece is one of them.....She said it was miserable.

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/13/11 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB

Did she learn anything?
-Blast
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/13/11 01:42 PM

that's the million dollar question Blast!
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/13/11 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
They Don't,They have 796,the other 4 were Rescuers!:)

Of the 796 "residents" 700 were passin thru
Posted by: philip

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/13/11 08:09 PM

My favorite part of the article:

Quote:
North Dakota State College freshman Katie Woodbury was driving from the school in Fargo to her family's farm in Stanley, in northwest North Dakota, when road conditions forced her take shelter at a church in Medina.
"It was scary _ I was talking to myself the whole time," she said of her drive. "I just want to get home and see my mom and dad and the 13 new piglets at the farm."

I was at Minot AFB in the early 70s, and I'm not sorry to be in the San Francisco Bay Area nowadays.
Posted by: Bill_G

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/13/11 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: philip
My favorite part of the article:

Quote:
North Dakota State College freshman Katie Woodbury was driving from the school in Fargo to her family's farm in Stanley, in northwest North Dakota, when road conditions forced her take shelter at a church in Medina.
"It was scary _ I was talking to myself the whole time," she said of her drive. "I just want to get home and see my mom and dad and the 13 new piglets at the farm."

I was at Minot AFB in the early 70s, and I'm not sorry to be in the San Francisco Bay Area nowadays.

At Grand Forks AFB in late '70s... Florida is nice this time of year. smile
Posted by: KG2V

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/13/11 11:32 PM

What's really scary is that you CAN express the percentage of people stranded and not sound really silly - .12% of the population of ND
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/14/11 05:48 PM

The same white-out conditions created a 20 car pileup in a tiny community in Saskatchewan just north of ND.
Conditions turned from bad to really bad in under a minute. Glad I wasn't on the road that day.

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Whiteout+near+Midale/4428713/story.html
Posted by: ireckon

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/14/11 07:15 PM

Wow, North Dakota must be terrible if it's bashed on survival website. That's one state that has never crossed my mind to visit.

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/14/11 11:32 PM

Not sure about "terrible", but it has it's weather moments. Of course the terrain can contribute to the problems. Two things I always said about eastern ND - 1) it never snows in ND, it just blows in from Canada and back from Minnesota, and 2) most table tops have more bumps on it than the terrain in eastern ND. smile

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/15/11 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Wow, North Dakota must be terrible if it's bashed on survival website. That's one state that has never crossed my mind to visit.

Now now, let's not resort to inter-state bashing in these forums. After all ND is financially solvent, oil rich and has very low unemployment whereas California is... well... ISN'T. smile [tongue in cheek]

I personally like the state. I've driven though it a number of times... it reminds me of home!
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/18/11 12:55 AM

We have North Dakota weather and Minnesota taxes. Who's laughing?

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/18/11 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill_G
Not sure about "terrible", but it has it's weather moments. Of course the terrain can contribute to the problems. Two things I always said about eastern ND - 1) it never snows in ND, it just blows in from Canada and back from Minnesota, and 2) most table tops have more bumps on it than the terrain in eastern ND. smile

I was raised in central Minnesota, my brother attended NDSU up in Fargo while I went to SDSU in Brooking, South Dakota (Go Jackrabbits!!). I'm allowed to bash North Dakota. grin

-Blast

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/18/11 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast

I was raised in central Minnesota, my brother attended NDSU up in Fargo while I went to SDSU in Brooking, South Dakota (Go Jackrabbits!!). I'm allowed to bash North Dakota. grin

-Blast

My experience is only 2 1/2 years at Grand Forks AFB. smile Amazing to me how different the land is on the east and west sides of the Red River.

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/21/11 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast

Did she learn anything?
-Blast

She did not get stuck in the blizzard. Sorry for the misleading comment. She just lives there. And it is still miserable.

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/21/11 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: philip

At Grand Forks AFB in late '70s... Florida is nice this time of year. smile

Sorry boys, I did my time at Loring in the early 80's. We had it easy compared to you guys. Back in Upstate New York; I didn't learn anything.

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/21/11 02:48 AM

As you leave Fargo heading west on I-94, there is a sign that says "Depressed Road". No lie! That is just plain bad advertising.

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/21/11 02:52 AM

Anyone been to Daisy, ND? I have. I have also been to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. I just had to go to a place with that name. I did it on my drive back from Alaska.

Re: I didn't think North Dakota had 800 people! - 03/23/11 06:28 AM

Anyone been to Daisy, ND? I have. I have also been to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. I just had to go to a place with that name. I did it on my drive back from Alaska.

Dazey, ND??

Ah good 'ole Moose Jaw. The city that time forgot. smile
Home of 15 Wing air base and the RCAF 431 Squadron - Snowbirds aeronautical team.

They still have an number of downtown tunnels, built in the 1910-20s by Chinese immigrants. Later Moose Jaw became one of the main smuggling points in Al Capone's network to smuggle liquor to Chicago. They city plays up the story that Capone himself once used the tunnels as a hideout.