finally added a neck knife to my edc

Posted by: kevingg

finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/27/11 03:57 PM

ive been wanting one since my crappy s&w folder died over a year ago. for christmas i had me friend pmoore make my sons first knife, a similar necker. recently we bartered some lanyards for my own. it just arrived. the lanyards on the knife are temporary cuz i want to use this right away, but im planning something really unique for it.

Thisn knife is 1/8" O1 Cutting edge at 60 Rc, with a acid/bleach finish. 3” blade, overall 6 ¼”.

and the lanyards I'm sending him for the barter....glock 33 added for emphasis

Posted by: garland

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/27/11 04:50 PM

Very nice! One question though - who's the manufacturer/what's the type of that very nice knife? I love the grind on it and it looks like a very solid piece of steel smile
Posted by: bsmith

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/27/11 10:47 PM

nice deal all the way around.

what's the knot called at the distal end of the lanyard - looks like a one strand turk?
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/28/11 12:03 AM

Consciously I know that it isn't much of an actual risk but wearing a knife around my neck feels like the first act in a play where the final scene is me laying there dead, having accidentally 'fallen on my sword'.

I feel the same way about wearing a necktie. It's like the opening act in a drama that ends in a hanging.

There are ways around that. If anyone wants to know give me a nudge and I'll start a thread.

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/28/11 03:32 AM

he's a friend who makes custom knives. great guy, great skill

http://pmooreknives.webs.com/

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/28/11 03:37 AM

Yes, thats exactly what it is; looks like the two strand diamond knot but its made with one.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/28/11 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Consciously I know that it isn't much of an actual risk but wearing a knife around my neck feels like the first act in a play where the final scene is me laying there dead, having accidentally 'fallen on my sword'.

I feel the same way about wearing a necktie. It's like the opening act in a drama that ends in a hanging.

There are ways around that. If anyone wants to know give me a nudge and I'll start a thread.

Please start a new thread and link it inside this thread so that I know you started it, thanks. I have a similar fear, except my fear involves the knife falling out of the sheath when I break out into a sprint.

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/28/11 02:24 PM

do you think it happens (being choked to death by a neck lanyard in the bush) more often to people than say getting hit by lightning? I know people, including sailors have been wearing things around their necks without breakaway for thousands of years.
Posted by: thseng

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/28/11 04:51 PM

Don't know about the bush, but working aroung industrial machinery all my life, I don't wear anything around my neck, wrists, etc. I don't even wear my wedding ring. Plenty of industrial accidents involve clothing or jewelry gets sucked into rotating parts.

Why voluntarily put your head in a noose?
Posted by: XDriver

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/28/11 06:03 PM

I normally carry a ckrt stiff kiss with paracord lanyard. For safety I connect free ends with a safety pin wich should breakaway. Also could be used for fish hook in pinch or sliver remover. Multi-tasker.

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 02/28/11 06:04 PM

no disagreement on the industrial machines.

regarding your question, because I think the danger of losing my most important item(s) in the bush is greater than the likelihood I'm going to hang myself. Simple precautions like putting the necklace in the shirt when moving further reduce my concern.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/01/11 02:51 AM

I once read of a man who joined-up his paracord necklace with a short length of shrink tubing, to provide a breakaway joint. I never tried it myself, but it sounds viable.

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/01/11 03:14 AM

smart solution! thanks for sharing.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/01/11 11:57 AM

Shows how ignorant I am I suppose. But what is the philosophy behind a neck knife? Why carry it that way?
qjs

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/01/11 12:18 PM

I always like to have a blade that I can access with one hand. It used to be a folder with thumb type knob. I had a lousy Smith and Wesson one and it failed after a year. Pondering on the topic, I realized the folder was offering me only one hand opening over my SAK, but nothing else (I couldn't baton with it, I couldn't strike my firesteel with the back of it). Also, it wore my pants, it sometimes snagged and pulled out of the pocket on the couch...I decided that a necker would be my next knife.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/02/11 11:45 AM

That makes sense. A fixed blade beats a single folding blade.
So how do people wear it?
blade up; so you can draw it from the top of a shirt?
blade down; so you can draw it through the shirt (while losing buttons?). or is it the back of the neck or something the (possibly mythical) old trick of 'surrendering' by putting your hands behind your head while reaching for a weapon?
qjs

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/02/11 12:31 PM

for me blade down (only with tight fitting kydex!) and I'd untuck and draw from below in emergency.
Posted by: dweste

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/05/11 01:45 AM

Diving and kayaking are environments where the possibility of entanglement in fishing line, kelp fronds, gear leashes, etcetera, invokes my desire to avoid the Rule of Threes caution about possible death in three minutes without air. Primarily for that reason I wear a personal floation device kayaking, and a weight harness diving, both with small external dive knife mounted upside down in a tight sheath located near my centerline for access by either hand. I would not want this knife on a cord because it would increase the potential for entanglement.

That admitted, I seem to lack the imagination to think of any environment where hanging a neck knife on a cord is the best option, except perhaps where you want to make a visual statement of some kind. [I routinely carry a multi-tool that includes blades in one pocket, and a one-hand opening folder in the pocket on the opposite side, not including my PSK.] I ask the ETS brain trust for enlightenment.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/05/11 03:29 AM

Rock climbers typically carry several circular slings, necessary for fashioning protection as a pitch is surmounted. These are routinely carried over one shoulder and under the opposite arm. This avoids the possible noose effect in a fall or entanglement. I certainly wouldn't just drape something around my neck unless it had a breakaway joint. You put it well - why put your neck in a noose?

I also remove my wedding ring and wrist watch when climbing. I have only seen deglovement injuries in pictures and I don't wish any personal experience. I usually carry the ring on a light sling worn like my climbing slings.

In really thick brush, I could readily see a cord worn around the neck being caught, with somewhat nasty results.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/06/11 10:46 PM

I don't carry a neck knife, but am considering it. When out in the bush I often pick up something up and take it back to camp to process. So when I'm sitting down, suddenly my pocket or belt is not very accessible; but a neck knife would still be easy to reach.

With kids in camp I don't like leaving a knife lying around, I like it either in a hand being used, or safely in a sheath; once again if I'm sitting a neck knife would give good access and there is no chance of leaving it behind or losing it. I would always know where it was.
Posted by: dweste

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/07/11 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Aussie
So when I'm sitting down, suddenly my pocket or belt is not very accessible

Cargo pants or shorts: lower pockets readily accessible standing, sitting, etcetera, unless you are lying on your stomach.
Posted by: Pete

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/09/11 12:33 AM

kevingg - nice knife. The guy did a good job for you. Most of the time, though, if it were my knife I would probably just wear on my belt or carry it in a pocket. What I like is the weight and the compact size of the knife. It's a good backup.

quick-joey - neck knives are worn as a form of quick-access weapon. They are difficult to see under a shirt, and can be quickly drawn by sliding one hand under the shirt and removing the knife from the sheath. Care must be taken not to draw the blade across your flesh (chest or waist). Not usually done for survival purposes. More for self-defense.

other Pete

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/09/11 01:34 PM

for me, it is very much a woods / survival knife. watch IA woodsman's video and you'll see how useful a small necker can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu-w7iA7CYA
Posted by: Pete

Re: finally added a neck knife to my edc - 03/09/11 03:07 PM

kev - I'll check the video. A lot of guys like the "idea" of a neck knife because it seems cool, and the tool is easily accessible. But the main risk is an accident. It is very easy when you draw that blade to accidentally slice yourself on the chest or stomach. This usually happens because the person wearing the neck knife did not practice the simple act of drawing the blade in a safe manner (they just assumed it would come out of the sheath OK). This is NOT a good outcome in a survival situation. The last thing you need is a self-inflicted wound. It's a useful way of carrying a knife ... provided you practice.

These comments are not aimed at you in any way - just general information. Like I said - I like your knife because it's compact & lightweight. A survival knife is the "knife you've got on you" ... heavy gear tends to get left at home.

Neck knives are illegal in some states in the USA, including where i live in California. Mostly for the reason already stated - guys tend to wear them as a hidden, quick-access weapons. It's too bad when the actions of a few people with criminal intent ruin it for everybody.

other Pete