Stranded 4 days - jelly beans, snow melt, cribbage

Posted by: Dagny

Stranded 4 days - jelly beans, snow melt, cribbage - 02/27/11 10:45 AM

The Kim story reflexively comes to mind whenever I hear of others going through a harrowing experience stranded in their vehicle in the Pacific Northwest.

Fortunately, this situation had a better outcome and no children were imperiled. But there were other angles, such as this couple is older and they both have diabetes.

This couple was rescued by alert passerby with 4x4 vehicles.

I'd prefer backgammon to cribbage. At the moment the only game in the car is cards (with knot tutorials on them).

http://www.startribune.com/nation/116986933.html

Wash. couple ate jelly beans, played cribbage while trapped for 4 days near Mount St. Helens

By GENE JOHNSON , Associated Press
Last update: February 26, 2011 - 8:28 PM

Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Stranded 4 days - jelly beans, snow melt, cribbage - 02/27/11 03:57 PM

Thanks for the link Dagney, it was an interesting read.

One note:

The couple, who are diabetic, tested their blood-sugar a few times a day. Their readings had never been so good.

I guess this was due to not having any food to eat that would normally elevate their blood-sugar?
Posted by: garland

Re: Stranded 4 days - jelly beans, snow melt, cribbage - 02/27/11 04:54 PM

And another story ends well for the people who don't rush off in 2 foot snow to try to find help. I'm glad they played it safe and smart to stay alive.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Stranded 4 days - jelly beans, snow melt, cribbage - 02/27/11 06:01 PM

"John and Patricia Norvell kept thinking someone would come help them ..."

WHO did they think would come, when they didn't tell anyone where they were going?

Sue
Posted by: rebwa

Re: Stranded 4 days - jelly beans, snow melt, cribbage - 02/27/11 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Thanks for the link Dagney, it was an interesting read.

One note:

The couple, who are diabetic, tested their blood-sugar a few times a day. Their readings had never been so good.

I guess this was due to not having any food to eat that would normally elevate their blood-sugar?

Yes, my 94 year old Mother is border line diabetic and she was told for instance never to skip breakfast.

Thanks for the link Dagny, and this shows the importance of staying with the vehicle! While they should have had more supplies and told folks where they were headed.... at least the shelter of the vehicle kept them going.
Posted by: philip

Re: Stranded 4 days - jelly beans, snow melt, cribbage - 02/27/11 06:14 PM

Cribbage gives me indigestion.
Posted by: MarkO

Re: Stranded 4 days - jelly beans, snow melt, cribbage - 02/27/11 06:18 PM

Cribbage or cabbage ??

lol.
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Stranded 4 days - jelly beans, snow melt, cribbage - 02/27/11 10:09 PM

Thanks Dagney.

They had fuel, food, and remained with the car.

And four good samaritans helped out too.

See the link for a recomended backcountry trip plan; leave it with someone who will look out for you.

www.outdoorquest.biz/links.htm.

Blake