Brining a knife to a gun fight

Posted by: aloha

Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/02/11 10:10 PM

http://www.logiccool.com/blog/591281-lon...against-40-men/

STUD! And a real superhero. He definitely has balls of steel.

I hope Cold Steel sends the guy a bunch of money, even though I am pretty sure that's not what he whipped out.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/03/11 12:01 PM

keyword = Gurkha

My uncle used to tell a war story about his time in India during WWII. His air base was under threat by a Japanese division moving toward them. The Brits sent out a company of Gurkhas. No more threat from the Japanese Army.

No doubt he exaggerated a bit. But that is the reputation they have. Not to be trifled with.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/03/11 01:22 PM

That is awsome
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/03/11 06:24 PM

Worked with the Ghurkas once. If the Khukri comes out, it must draw blood - period, end of story. We were warned going in not to ask to "see" their knife.

Very nice guys overall, well trained, fit, and mean as all get out when they had to be. Rather small too. As in not tall or bulky. But that did not take away from how well they could fight.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/03/11 07:25 PM

It is better to die than be a coward.

And I reckon that he said exactly two words to them.

Ayo Gorkhali!

The Gurkhas are upon you.

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/03/11 07:26 PM

Not exaggeration.
Understatment.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/03/11 10:00 PM

Yep - they represent a proud warrior tradition.

I think they epitomise 'it's not the size of the dog in the fight.....'
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/03/11 10:42 PM

Raise your hand if you want that knife now. Be honest.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/03/11 10:53 PM

Ya gotta love a quote like this, a twist on a commonly heard refrain:

"If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha."

--Former Chief of staff of the Indian Army, Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw

Not that it changes anything, but an interesting point--in a reader's comment in a different posting about this incident, the reader mentioned that although Nepalese men were once allowed to carry their khukri by the Indian government, that is not the case anymore. So was this brave Gurkha carrying illegally when the train was robbed?

He had just retired from the Indian Army and was on the train on his way home to Nepal.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/04/11 12:24 AM

No longer a concern apparently, he got reenlisted and a promotion.

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/04/11 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
No longer a concern apparently, he got reenlisted and a promotion.

And, one hopes, a wife....
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/04/11 12:33 PM

Cold Steel do machete kukris now if you want a tough knife cheap.
13" £20
17" £25

qjs
Posted by: Russ

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/04/11 12:53 PM

If you are in the khukuri market, I bought my Chiruwa Ang Khola khukuri from Himalayan Imports. They take some getting used to . . .

Not affiliated.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/04/11 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Raise your hand if you want that knife now. Be honest.

***raises hand,, OK raises both hands****
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/04/11 03:18 PM

I might have raised it. I got me a kukri some years ago. I still like it. Considering what I can do with it, I do not doubt that a well trained soldier can do real damage to adversaries. This guy had really guts to start the fight though.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/05/11 01:29 AM

You know I'm thinking this guy is really lucky it was on a train, the narrow corridor means the robbers have to face him one at a time. If not he's probably minced meat.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/05/11 01:47 AM

I wonder if they're allowed to carry firearms there. I couldn't fathom telling a woman like this she's not allowed to carry. This story is over-the-top horrendous.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/06/11 12:30 PM

This guy has balls of steel, no doubt. I can't imagine anyone behaving more heroically than he did. Kudos on a great job, and I'm grateful that he lived to tell the tale!
Posted by: garland

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/06/11 02:21 PM

As an instructor in Filipino stick and knife fighting (stick translates to machete), I can really respect the situation he was in. He handled himself flawlessly. He made no threat against someone robbing, which is not necessarily a threat to one's life or personal security. No sense throwing away your life over a wallet in most cases.

Then he stepped up when he had enough and saw the incoming rape.

Looking at it tactically, he had a good advantage in this situation of his position. Most train cars force you to fight very small numbers of opponents one at a time given the narrowness of the passageways. The distance of the rail car would be smaller, allowing easier distance closing. All speculative of course. I'm still amazed he pulled it off, but then again he is a Ghurka/Ghorka smile

Lastly "That's not a knife, THIS *pulls out kukri* is a knife mate", lol, I can just imagine :P
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/06/11 11:56 PM

My internet connection is really slow (somewhere between ISDN and low-end cable. Apparently everyone needs their "real time" updates of the super bowl), does this thing actually show the awesomeness, or is it just a television report?
Posted by: njs

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/07/11 05:56 AM

"This guy had really guts to start the fight though."

I'm not sure he actually started the fight, I think he finished it.

He acted in a way that I think we all hope we would be capable of in a real life and death situation. This wasn't a practice session in a class room or in a training environment. He exhibited an act of courageous and aggressive action in a life and death situation.

I think he has some real guts.
Posted by: Se7eN

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/07/11 06:36 PM

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/...how/6488820.cms

Supposedly the "real" story. Still an act of true heroism!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Brining a knife to a gun fight - 02/07/11 09:58 PM

What can one say about the passengers who failed to follow through on Shresta's initiative?