Kevlar gloves

Posted by: Anonymous

Kevlar gloves - 11/27/02 09:42 PM

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with Kevlar-lined gloves. They seem to be a standard item for law enforcement officers who worry about searching someone's pockets where there might be a razor or other sharp instrument hidden from view. My reference survival situation is a major earthquake - there's a lot of broken glass around when those happen. I like the dual-use aspect of the gloves (e.g. Hatch Police Resister Kevlar Lined Gloves RFK300); they look good enough for everyday wear to the office, but perhaps they could provide extra protection in an emergency.<br><br>Opinions?<br><br>
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Kevlar gloves - 11/27/02 10:23 PM

blackhawk industries makes a spectra liner for gloves http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1974&d= , withs makes your normall glove cut resistent, for a lower price and without the "tactiacal look" or something...

Re: Kevlar gloves - 11/27/02 10:26 PM

I think its a great idea. However I do not know anything about the moisture absorbsion or temperature or anything like that, but sounds good to me.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/02/02 09:25 PM

There are Kevlar only gloves that are made for the meat packing industry. Our rescue team uses them for handling tag lines (under our leather rappelling gloves) while performing helicopter evacuations. They can be bought cheaply if one looks around the net. I have bought quite a few pairs on Ebay for about $5.00 a pair. They make rescue gloves with Kevlar and synthetic leather for around $27.00 a pair. Pete

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/04/02 01:47 AM

I use Kevlar gloves on a daily basis when on duty. They provide adequate protection against punctures, cuts, etc...but they DO NOT provide protection from a direct stab or puncture. To my knowledge, no glove within a reasonable price range offers that kind of protection. If you can find some, hook me up with a link. <br><br>Catch my drift? If you were to, say, poke yourself directly with a needle...it would go right through. If someone were to stab you in the hand...it would go right through. But if you were simply searching pockets and cars, and scraped up against something sharp, you're pretty well protected. I often make the subject empty his own pockets if I feel the presence of a needle during a "pat down."<br><br>For emergency use, I keep 4 or 5 pairs of leather palmed gloves in my BOB.<br><br>John McIntire

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/04/02 04:53 AM

These sound like a really good idea all around. Anybody including Doug know if anyone had done any subjective tests on these- brand vs. brand and Kevlar vs Spectra for instance?<br><br>Read once that a hand injury in a survival situation could easily prove fatal. Makes sense to me to protect 'em.<br><br>As far as wicking and warmth concerns, you could always put on Capilene silkweight glove liners as your bottom layer and not have to worry about those aspects much at all.

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/04/02 01:33 PM

<I often make the subject empty his own pockets if I feel the presence of a needle during a "pat down."><br><br>I don't want to sound rude since I know nothing about law enforcment and you are after all a pro but if you get the subject to empty there oun pockets might they not pull a weapon or or somthing out on you? <br>only observation of course and once again I really don't know very much about this, but I just wondered.....<br>thinks <br>-james<br><br>

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/04/02 08:14 PM

hence the pat down prior to emptying his/her pockets.

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/04/02 11:59 PM

LOL, thanks GATOR! My response exactly.

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/05/02 05:17 AM

John, you must be the same JWMcINTIRE from plainsman's, I just responded to ya over there ironically. Just noticed you're also registered at jeff randalls place too. You must be stalking me, lol. <br><br>Nice to make your aquaintance, I go by GATOR at all three places.

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/06/02 02:49 AM

Haha, yep...I frequent all of those forums. I've noticed your name @ all of them too, and figured it was the same person. It's nice to get the opinions of alot of different people. A Well Regulated Militia has some good forums also, but they seem to be "anti-everything-government-related" over there...but some good info nonetheless. And no, i'm not stalking you LOL :-)<br><br>John McIntire

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/06/02 07:47 PM

I checked out AWRM a while ago, I think when they first started, I'm probably still registered there, it seemed over the top for me. Could ya PM me the link anyways.<br>Glad you're not stalking me. :~)<br><br>
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Kevlar gloves - 12/10/02 07:39 AM

How about:

http://www.warwickmills.com/01gloves1.html

?

-john
Posted by: Kuzushi

Re: Kevlar gloves - 01/21/03 09:17 AM

In a disaster scenario, I think the kevlar gloves are a better bet than the spectra. For the simple reason kevlar has close to the same temperature rating as nomex. About 900 deg F for kevlar. So in addition to the abrasion, cut and (limitied) puncture resistance, you also get basicly fireproof gloves too.
Alot of these tactical equipment places also sell kevlar hoods and sleeves. It seems these might be a good addition to a BOB, as you get fire resistance like the nomex gear plus the added cut protection.

Dave