Case for Mini Bic

Posted by: ireckon

Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 04:01 AM

EDIT: How do you solve the problem of accidentally pressing the button on a Mini Bic? Do you just go with another type of lighter altogether?

Has anybody tried out a case for a mini Bic?
http://www.amazon.com/Bic-Chrome-Mini-Li...9600&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Chrome-M...9600&sr=8-3

Why?

Well, a case may provide some protection to the head unit. Mini Bics don't really need the protection, but I would prefer a lighter to be over-engineered if it's not too much trouble.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 04:38 AM

IMHO,The Mini-Bic is Over-Engineered as It is.It's light as a feather,So If you dropped it off a cliff,Chances are,It would Survive the Fall,Drop it into a Stream,It will Float,Wrap some Rubberbands/Innertube around it,& You'll have Grip/Tinder & Won't be as likely to drop it Either! Now...Put it into a Metal Case,The weight increases enough,to Actually do it some harm as It Will hit that much harder, when dropped,Drop it in a Stream,You can Kiss it Goodby,It likely won't Float,It probably won't fit into a Small PSK with a case on it,& Other than Looking Cool,Retro 50's/60's for lighting up a Smoke,that Fad,has fallen by the Wayside,These days!You could probably carry,2-3 more mini's in Lieu of the weight of The added case.If the case is 99.9% Magnesium,Then You might be onto Something,Otherwise,I would go with KISS,on this one!
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 05:34 AM

A case? For a lighter that costs less than a buck? I don't see the logic -- or the value.

Unless you want to dress it up and pretend it's a Zippo. Zippos are cool and I love the way they look; but for me it's the Bic in the pocket that gets the job done.

For durability/storage, you could wrap it in thin packing foam and wrap it with duct tape or electrical tape. Not sexy, but effective.

But the standard solution for ensuring that you have a working Bic is to pack a spare or two in every pack and jacket you own. Why wouldn't you?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 08:48 AM

Not necessary, adds weight, and a significant cost - a perfect trifecta
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 11:29 AM

I had a light plastic and rubber one that holds a mini bic. Makes the bic a bit bigger, so easier to hold with cold hands, but the reason I got it is because it will attach to a key ring. It's bulky and adds more weight, so it's now living in the bottom of my 20 year old's school backpack, with a few other survival goodies attached to a keyring for good measure (LED, small folding knife, FOB with vaseline-soaked cotton balls inside, Fox 40 and a quarter.)

She's been away for a week with friends, and last night I found her PSK/first aid kit on her dresser. The keychain is all but forgotten in the bottom of the bag, so at least it made the trip.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 03:31 PM

I have had a couple (actually still have one in my truck console). I usually carry a small lighter in my watch pocket and reasoned the case would ensure the button didn't get accidentally depressed, draining the gas. For that, it worked well.

Unfortunately I found it made the whole package much easier to loose. While the Mini Bic itself will generally stay in the little pocket without issue, in the heavier (and slicker?) case it had a tendency to work its way out. After loosing a couple I decided just to carry the Mini Bic itself.

While I have had one case of finding an empty lighter in my pocket since going back to just the Bic, I check it fairly regularly to ensure its okay (that's how I found it empty, fortunately not when I actually needed it).

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 05:01 PM

I have revised the original post to include the following questions:

How do you solve the problem of accidentally pressing the button on a Bic and releasing all the gas? Do you just go with another type of lighter altogether?

Originally Posted By: Denis
I have had a couple (actually still have one in my truck console). I usually carry a small lighter in my watch pocket and reasoned the case would ensure the button didn't get accidentally depressed, draining the gas. For that, it worked well.

Unfortunately I found it made the whole package much easier to loose. While the Mini Bic itself will generally stay in the little pocket without issue, in the heavier (and slicker?) case it had a tendency to work its way out. After loosing a couple I decided just to carry the Mini Bic itself.

While I have had one case of finding an empty lighter in my pocket since going back to just the Bic, I check it fairly regularly to ensure its okay (that's how I found it empty, fortunately not when I actually needed it).

Thanks, that's exactly the type of info I wanted and exactly the problem I've been trying to solve (accidentally pressed button). Thank you to everybody who is answering the questions asked.

Regarding cost, the combination is around $10. That's negligible to me if the combination is superior to a naked Bic. Plus, the case is a one time cost. I imagine most people would rather carry a leaking Zippo that's more expensive, to each his own.

Regarding the idea of the case being heavier and hitting the ground harder, that's debatable. A naked Bic is going to drop at the same speed, unless the terminal velocity becomes a factor to make a difference. If we assume that the naked Bic falls at the same speed, it's possible that the case would provide some protection by spreading the force of impact on the Bic. I don't know for sure without experimenting. I have performed this type of experiment extensively with other objects, and so I have a feel for it. Anyway, this is a minor issue because I would have extra fire starters while I'm "out there".
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
How do you solve the problem of accidentally pressing the button on a Bic and releasing all the gas?

small piece of wooden matchstick or toothpick held in place by duck or electrical tape. parts already in stock, less than one minute to deploy, no appreciable additional weight or expense.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 05:41 PM

How do you solve the problem of accidentally pressing the button on a Bic and releasing all the gas? Do you just go with another type of lighter altogether?

As of right now, this isn't something I've solved. I tried a few variations using elastics and paper clips but none really made it so the button couldn't be depressed (the match stick & duck tape sounds like it has potential though).

I've been keeping an eye open for a better design in a small lighter, but for now I just try to test the one I'm carrying a couple times a week.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 06:18 PM

My solution:

Still too early to say if it will work as good as I hope, though... But I am optimistic.

It is plain and simple a piece of PET plastic (cut-out from a bottle of Heinz' tomato ketchup, they have these nice corners that forms the sharpest bend) and a bit of gorilla (duct) tape.

If you leave the PET piece just a little too short to go all the way around the BIC you have a permanent storage solution. If you make it a bit longer you've made yourself a low bulk BIC case. If you like to tie it to other things then you just insert a piece of line when you wrap it with tape.

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 07:22 PM

MostlyHarmless, that's brilliant and simple. You didn't make that because of this thread, did you?
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 07:27 PM

MostlyHarmless, that's brilliant and simple. You didn't make that because of this thread, did you?

Nope - it was part of a PSK project that now resides in the cargo pocket of my outdoors pants. I've got a couple of these hidden about in some other kits, too.

Glad you like it! smile
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 08:34 PM

My main lighter resides inside my cook kit, where it is well protected. This arrangement has worked well for years. I distribute a Bic in each pack that I am likely to carry. I have a few Bics so old they have lost their color due to sun bleaching and they still light readily. They do quite well with little, if any, protection.

Still, I always have alternative means of lighting a fire. I understand Bics can be finicky at high altitudes.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 08:34 PM

I've been using Zip-Ties for about the last 10yrs,to prevent button depletion,Cheap & Effective!
Posted by: Eric

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 10:38 PM

I've always liked the C2 case from Bic for my mini-bics.

http://www.bicworld.com/us/products/details/232/c2-metal

It seems to be less bulky than some of the other alternatives and I got 4 of them for free as part of a promo several years ago. They do add a bit of bulk and weight but I figure its a good trade since anyone who comes across this in my kit will be able to get to the lighter and put it away without going what the heck is this thing for.

- Eric
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 11:10 PM

I have revised the original post to include the following questions:

I use thick twist ties from the local bakery. Cheap (free), durable and easily reusable.

The black strap is elastic (normally used in clothing waistbands etc) and is attached to the lighter with some wraps of black cloth (hockey) tape. There is a loop on the end that attaches to my belt and the lighter then goes into my coat pocket. When I need to use the lighter, I take it out of the pocket and the band stretches far enough to easily light the fire. With this method, there is never any worry about dropping or losing the lighter.

Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 11:25 PM

I am a big fan of the Bic Lighter and include them in all my kits as well as distribute them throughout my exterior clothing, gear and vehicles.

I do a few modifications to a Bic:

- remove the Child Safety Device on any lighter I do not believe will be accessed by a child.
- wind some spare tape (electrical or duct) around the body.
- add some bright coloured reflective tape to make it easier to find.
- use some bright electrical tape to block the gas plunger from being depressed.

This is done with a piece of tape about 5 inches long. Stick one end of the tape to the metal shroud, then wrap it toward the plunger, twist the tape a couple of times to make a short thick cord-like section that fits under the plunger, then continue to stick the tape around the lighter and again over the plunger, at the end of the tape fold it over to make a Pull Tab. In ink I write "PULL" on this tab and make a direction arrow. This tape can be removed and reapplied a few times before it looses its stickyness and I have to replace it. All of my Bic lighters in kits are protected this way. I could post a picture of this simple method if anyone would like?

I do have a Bic case for my EDC Mini-Bic but usually just go without or use this tape method. Mike

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/06/11 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric

I hadn't seen that one, thanks.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/07/11 12:06 AM

I use a zip-tie and it works well for me.

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/07/11 12:27 AM

The ideas here motivated me to think of one: bike inner tube!

I can't remember the diameter, but it's not the biggest one. Anyway, I cut the tube to fit in the little slot underneath the button. Then, double up the tube so that it wraps around the lighter tightly. It works well! Plus, it's extra tinder. I can still press the button if I mash down hard, but it's a lot harder to push with the inner tube there. (Richlacal did mention inner tube above, but he didn't hone in on this method.)

Holy cow, this has been a useful thread!
Posted by: Andy

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/07/11 12:44 AM

I believe this product, Lighter Leash, has been mentioned here before. This company also makes some other interesting products. No affiliation.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Case for Mini Bic - 01/10/11 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric

This is the case I use with my mini-bics. I find it works pretty well. It protects the lighter, it keeps the button from being accidentally pressed, it makes it a little easier to hold, and it offers some wind protection. It also adds a nice little lanyard loop. I've used one for about 6 years now and it still works great.