Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts?

Posted by: Crookedknife

Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 02:46 AM

So Ruger's come out with an interesting rifle, and I'm curious what the people here think about it: http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/index.html

As a hiker, I find it appealing: it looks handy & powerful, like a general purpose/defensive rifle for people who prefer bolt-action. I know box magazines can have their issues, but it seems like a good compromise for turning a hunting rifle into a defensive one.

I wish the barrel was a little longer, and while they're at it they can offer it in .243 and .338 federal. But, overall, I like it. Strikes me as a good gun to grab if you can only have one.

What do y'all think?
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 03:29 AM

It's a Handsome Rifle,The price is Kinda' Ugly! I can think of another Ruger or 2,That would do the trick,For quite a bit less$$$!I understand the need for Reliability & A Bolt-action,Fits that need the Best,As per History is Concerned,But that Price still bother's me,& IMHO,My Rem.870 is Much more Versatile in it's ability to put Protein on the Table,As well as Zapping Zombies!
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 03:30 AM

Looks like something of a mismatch. Shoots a .308 from a 16" barrel. Ten round magazine on a bolt-action. MSRP at just this side of $1000.

Ruger already makes a good .308 bolt action and the barrel is longer, you can get it cut down, and capacity held at a perfectly adequate four rounds:

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAllWeather/specSheets/7123.html

Fit it with a high-relief scope and, if it blows your skirt up, bob four inches off the barrel to make it a bit handier in heavy brush and you have a nice shooter. MSRP $830 so you can spend the difference toward a scope or ammunition.

Of course nobody pays MSRP.

.308 makes sense if you have long sight lines and/or shoot larger animals.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 03:39 AM

Looks like Ruger tried to take a hunting rifle and make it "Tacti-Cool". It's interesting, but too expensive for me given the compromises. I'll admit - the looks are quite appealing though. It's a pretty rifle.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 03:51 AM

Drool! I have a weakness for carbines. I had to laugh at the glorified warning label that is called a manual for this firearm. I had no idea they were so dreadfully dangerous. The price is no laughing matter, however. With a barrel that short, you might want to work up handloads with a fast burning powder.

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 04:09 AM

After looking at this Ruger further, I'm starting to see it much like this firearm that I want very much:

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=195&category=17&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

It's one of those guns that certainly will be far from "the best" for any purpose you could conceive of, and you have to wonder why anyone would design such a thing, but still, I want one!
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 07:09 AM

Lucas McCayne smile
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 10:08 AM

My first thought: $1,000.00 for anything made by Ruger?
My second thought: Remove Gunsite branding and return to realistic Ruger pricing.
My third thought: Is this magazine interchangeable with any other manufacturer's 7.62 NATO rifle? (Hello, Springfield Armory)
My fifth thought: Better order a 5 round magazine, because most states do not allow more than 5 rounds for deer hunting.

Finally: Why purchase a rifle that is almost. . . . .
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Looks like Ruger tried to take a hunting rifle and make it "Tacti-Cool". It's interesting, but too expensive for me given the compromises. I'll admit - the looks are quite appealing though. It's a pretty rifle.

Not really. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 11:42 AM

Yes please. $1000 price tag does not strike me as being unreasonable.
This is a rifle built to the late Col Cooper's spec. As a glasses wearer I would want to mount a scope, second position on the picatinny rails. Nice long eye relief. And nice easy to see iron sights for a snap shot.
Gimmi, gimmi, gimmi...... smile
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 12:56 PM

Wow. I can't imagine needing that rifle "as a hiker." Really, you plan on slaughtering deer and packing them around with you?

Looks remarkable like a Mauser with a box magazine (which was done occasionally in WW2).

I agree, the appearance is probably the "wow" on this. Lots of other solid rifles in that caliber for 2/3 the price. Plus, if you want a longer barrel, there's gajillions out there in longer barrels.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 01:43 PM

I would have preferred the Enfield bolt action to the Mauser action. Looks to be a competitor for the Enfield .303 No5 Mk1 Jungle Carbine but with a slightly shorter barrel (shorter by about 2.5 inches), which would account for the 1oz weight difference. The Enfield has of course vastly superior iron sights and a lug fixture for a bayonet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMt05WZGqY4

I bet the Ruger Gunsite Scout will kick like a mule esp chambered in .338 Federal and would become quite tiring to use after a while, which also probably means you might have to spend the same amount on some decent optics to get the best out of the rifle.

Posted by: clearwater

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 02:24 PM

Looks like the Rem 600 but with a box mag.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6PkwO-gE3Vg/TQ...0940_Large_.jpg

I have a 600 with a scout scope and it is very easy to carry as
the scope is forward of the balance point and your hand can
go around the rifle easily. Mine is 308, but for those that
wanted a bigger bore or more power it was offered in 350 mag like
the photo in the link.

A slower powder like w760 is most accurate in mine so far, despite the shorter barrel.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 03:05 PM

In it's basics, except for the box magazine, I have had this rifle from Ruger for several years - the Compact. Same action, same 16.5" barrel (without the flash hider), .27" at 100yd accuracy. I like the original better for a general purpose rifle. Mine has a 2-7x Luepold on it in the conventional position. I prefer that to the scout mount, but the scout is available if you want it. If you like a longer barrel (or live in Canada) they also make an 18" version.

I find it a great choice for hunting in the brush,as a patrol rifle, in short a super all around rifle. I would like the removable mag, but live well with what I have.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 04:40 PM

I think it goes against the concept of the scout rifle. My understanding is it is started as an inexpensive carbine; a utilitarian approach. That was what I took away from my readings years ago. I bought a Mexican small-ring Mauser in 7x57, then reduced the barrel to 16.25. I call it my "pocket rifle". It is truly good for anything I would have to take care of here in the lower 48 of the U.S.A. Bottom line: Ignore the Ruger Scout rifle.

YMMV

My $.02

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Originally Posted By: haertig

Not really. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle

I'm familiar with scout rifles. The addition of the large box magazine and the flash suppressor to this Ruger model is what triggered my Tacti-Cool observation.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 06:42 PM

The item that triggers the "tacticool" notion for me is the flash suppressor. Now I can imagine that with a short barrel, there is quite a muzzle flash, but is this meaningful in a hunting situation?

I do not mean to start a flame war....
Posted by: Russ

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 06:54 PM

The flash hider may be a result of having a 16.5" barrel on a .308Win -- I'm thinking unburned powder ...
Posted by: DavidEnoch

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 07:33 PM

If they want to make it a "Scout Rifle" they should add a scope mount to the barrel for a "Scout Rifle" scope set-up.

I like the caliber, action, removable magazine, size and weight. I don't know about pricing as I never buy new.

David Enoch
Posted by: BryanG

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/05/11 09:11 PM

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum!

Typically, the tag price you find at a gun dealer is 20% or so less than MSRP, so this would be $700-$800, depending on supply or buyer interest. It could go for 1K (or more)if they are a hot item.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/06/11 12:27 AM

The picatinny rail forward of the bolt is for the scope.
Posted by: LED

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/06/11 02:30 AM

Looks like it may have been influenced by this CZ carbine. .223/7.62 makes more sense in a carbine this size anyway.

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/06/11 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: LED
Looks like it may have been influenced by this CZ carbine. .223/7.62 makes more sense in a carbine this size anyway.

Wow, did Ruger copy another one? First the KelTecs, now the CZ's?

I would opt for that CZ over the Ruger any day. And the CZ is cheaper.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/10/11 06:04 PM

The design was influenced by Col. Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle concept, which has been built by various manufacturers over the years. It's not a copy of the CZ.

Anyway, this rifle would be perfect for use with a suppressor. 1 in 10" twist and a threaded muzzle...it's just begging for a nice .308 can.

Otherwise, I could see it being a pretty good camp rifle. It could serve double duty as a camp hunting rifle and as a defensive rifle against two and four legged animals. I would probably throw an Eotech on it. The big 65 MOA ring would be fast to aim for bear, feral dogs, big cats, whatever; the small 1 MOA dot could probably be used for hunting up to, say, 200 yards. Perfect compromise for a multi-purpose rifle.
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/11/11 11:50 AM

I like the setup. Time to save the clams.

Bill
Posted by: dropout

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/13/11 02:18 AM

It's a nice looking rifle. I used to want something similar. But then I got a 16" AR. If I was going to go the route you are thinking I'd go with a Tikka T3.

Here's the scout version
http://www.hyattgunstore.com/tikka-t3-sc...-20-barrel.html

Personally I'd want more barrel for a 308 though. Out of concern for carrying too much diversity of ammunition I'm buying...

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?litess

in .223

Based on looks you may like...

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?laminatedss
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Ruger's Gunsight scout rifle - thoughts? - 01/14/11 01:32 PM

This is a nice alternative to the Springfield SOCOM M1A derivative, which I had a hard time not buying.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory28.php