Considering a survival school...

Posted by: Anonymous

Considering a survival school... - 11/25/02 02:59 AM

I am former military (PSYOPS) outdoors type (mountaineering, bowhunting, backpacking) who has developed an interest in back to basics traditionalist philosophies after reading an article in backpacker about survival training. I recently ordered several Hoods tapes and Olsen's and McPherson's books to gain knowledge in this area. Ultimately, I am considering attending Tom Brown's basic course. It seems to fit the bill and is close (6 hour drive). I have attended mountaineering courses in the Dacks and in the AK range for 3 and 15 days, respectively so I am familiar with outdoors Ed. Just wondered if anyone has any experiences or word of mouth regarding Tom's product before I contact them about their courses.

Re: Considering a survival school... - 11/25/02 03:18 AM

Tom Brown's school is probabily one of the best schools for survival you can find. One of my friends has taken coarses their and he had a great time and learned a lot about survival, tracking, trapping, etc. If you pick a school I think you should pick Tom Brown's school.<br>www.trackerschool.com<br><br>Hope this helps.<br>Frank

Re: Considering a survival school... - 11/25/02 06:24 PM

I've attended about a dozen of Tom's courses over the last twenty years and I'd be happy to answer any questions.The standard basically covers the material in his field guide to wilderness survival. If you like the book you'll like the class.

Re: Considering a survival school... - 11/25/02 06:54 PM

Wow, I can't believe in the US you consider a 6 hour drive to be close. No where in england is that far away

Yep.... - 11/25/02 08:29 PM

That is basically a drive across Pennsylvania.

Re: Considering a survival school... - 11/25/02 10:27 PM

I have a few of his books and when I get older I am considering taking a few classes of Tom Brown's. I live near the pine barrens in New Jersey and his classes aren't that far from me.<br>His wilderness survival guide is great I hard a great time reading and looking through it.<br><br>Frank