Canadian Rescue

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Canadian Rescue - 12/23/10 02:57 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/12/23/bc-cypress-park-rescue.html
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Canadian Rescue - 12/23/10 04:04 PM

Thank God for SAR -- especially that helicopter flight crew. And the PLB.

The article's reader comments are interesting, and familiar.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Canadian Rescue - 12/23/10 04:16 PM

Heard about this rescue on the news earlier today and although the hiker made some mistakes, at least he had the sense to carry a PLB and more or less stay put. Luckily, SAR got him off the mountain last night as today is downright miserable here close to sea level with rain and wind which means the conditions on top of Cypress will be much worse...

Couple of Google Earth images that show the area. The first link which shows the highway below is the route north to Whistler BC and water is Howe Sound (pacific ocean)

Google Earth Link 1

The second link is from the backside of the mountain. Pretty rugged country in there...A few years ago, we had a close call in that same area and came very close to pressing the button (PLB).

Google Earth Link 2

Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Canadian Rescue - 12/23/10 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Heard about this rescue on the news earlier today and although the hiker made some mistakes, at least he had the sense to carry a PLB and more or less stay put. Luckily, SAR got him off the mountain last night as today is downright miserable here close to sea level with rain and wind which means the conditions on top of Cypress will be much worse...

Couple of Google Earth images that show the area. The first link which shows the highway below is the route north to Whistler BC and water is Howe Sound (pacific ocean)

The second link is from the backside of the mountain. Pretty rugged country in there...A few years ago, we had a close call in that same area and came very close to pressing the button (PLB).

I believe I solo hiked in that area in '87. Didn't go as far up the trail to the mountain top because of it was getting too wet & cold. You're right about the ruggedness of the area, back then I didn't have much of a survial kit with me so rather than risk a problem I ended my hike early. This hiker apparently continued his journey (probably better equipped than I was) and now he has a story to tell his kids.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Canadian Rescue - 12/24/10 02:26 AM

In reading the comments, it sounds like the guy was well prepared in some ways but made some fairly serious mistakes -- not bringing snowshoes for example. Sounds like he's aware of his mistakes. Nice to be able to post about one's mistakes rather than have others post about them posthumously. Sounds like his SPOT done him good.

HJ
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Canadian Rescue - 12/24/10 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
In reading the comments, it sounds like the guy was well prepared in some ways but made some fairly serious mistakes -- not bringing snowshoes for example. Sounds like he's aware of his mistakes. Nice to be able to post about one's mistakes rather than have others post about them posthumously. Sounds like his SPOT done him good.
HJ

I agree, he admitted his mistakes and lived to see his family and another Christmas...and in the big scheme of things, thats all that really matters.

Kudos to the ground SAR people and also the chopper crew from 442 Squadron. They pulled off the impossible last night, especially the SAR who went out the chopper and down a 70' longline in 85 km (~50 mile) winds. These brave gentleman have been the talk of the mountain community here all day today.

A few more details here. Also click on the photo links to see the snow cave the hiker made.
Posted by: raptor

Re: Canadian Rescue - 12/24/10 01:37 PM

Although this was not that extreme, it reminds me about the legendary rescue of Tomaz Humar from the face of Nanga Parbat.