Best way to carry a PSK in your person?

Posted by: Fabio

Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 12:03 PM

Hello all,

I´m preparing for a trip to Chile next January. I'm going to do a 5 day trek, a 4 day sea kayak trip and a volcano Climb. The problem is, how to carry my PSK in these activities?

I have a Doug's PSP in a hard case. It is a little too big to the pockets of my hiking pants. The backpack waist band prevent anything attached around my waist. a jacket pocket isn't a good alternative, because I expect to be changing insulation layers frequently.

So, what do do? Strip or divide the contents of the PSP to store well in my pants' pockets? Attach a pouch to my backpack with a quick release device? Or just keep it inside the backpack my current preferred method... ).

In this trip I will try a modified fishing vest to use over the base clothing layer, but I don't know if it will be comfortable.

I'm curious to know how you carry your PSKs while backpacking!

Best regards,

Fabio
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 12:27 PM

I integrate PSK items with my backpacking gear rather than lug around a discrete PSK, but I arrange things so that certain items (knife, whistle, basic FAK, etc) are on my body at all times. This is especially true when sea kayaking. When I kayak, I put a basic PSK, plus flares and other kayaking specific survival items in the pockets of my life vest so that they are on body when(please note "when'" not "if") I do a wet exit from the kayak. I always wear the vest when in the boat.

Sounds like a neat trip...Have fun!
Posted by: dweste

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 03:29 PM

Get shorts with a set of cargo-type pockets down your leg below the main poockets. Here in Ca they are common with velcro closures. Often called hiking shorts. Often featured on outdoor pants that have removable lower legs to convert the pants to shorts.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 03:47 PM

Ditto Hikermor.

There are some things I like having immediately handy on a lanyard -- such as whistle and e-PICO light. I carry those every time I walk out my door, on a lanyard with my house key. Those items could also be attached to the front of my backpack's shoulder straps.

With my daypack, I attach to the hip belt a small LL Bean fishing gear bag (since discontinued) that has ample room in the smaller front pocket for Doug's PSK, plus more. I also keep in there a Kleenex packet, antiseptic wipes, lip balm, lighter, big compass, Doug's MK1 folder, and more. My hip belt also has two built-in zipper pockets. It's nice to not have to dig through the main pack for the small stuff.

That LL Bean fishing bag is something I wish I'd bought extra of, it's so handy. It measures 8"(L)x7"(H)x2"(D) and also makes a comfortable place to prop my left arm while hiking. I keep an eye on fishing gear to see what else could be useful for hiking. Could be wise to break the PSK up. Would a fish hook be useful on the volcano?

BTW, the pack in this photo is the previous version of the LL Bean Bigelow.

Click on the link below the photo for a closer view.

Posted by: Dagny

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 03:50 PM

Question for administrator -- why are some photos now showing up as a link to download rather than the photo being pasted into the post?

I posted pics in the past week or so that all came up as links to download. In this post just now, one of the pics is pasted in and the other is listed as a link to download.
Posted by: philip

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 05:26 PM

I wear cargo pants and cargo shorts much of the time. Sometimes they're less comfortable (when I'm strapped in my airline seat for example), and then I wear a photographer's vest which I can take off and put under the seat in front or leave on if it's chilly on the plane. My vest is basically another piece of carry-on luggage, but I don't get dinged for it at the gate.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 06:15 PM

I just came back from Belize, where I went kayaking, snorkeling and bike riding. I used a combination of cargo pants (or shorts) and a small fanny pack (about $7 from Walmart). I had more than enough room for my passport, survival items and a digital camera.

For organization of the survival items, I used one or two dice bags from here:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_supplies.php?viewType=Dice%20Bags&info1=Dice&info2=Bag

For protection of my passport, I used either a Ziploc bag or this waterproof hard case:
http://www.amazon.com/Witz-Passport-Locker/dp/B001AQN2LW

Again, everything I needed easily fit into the cargo pants and fanny pack. I could have fit everything in my cargo pants if I had to do so.

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Fabio
The backpack waist band prevent anything attached around my waist.

Wait, what? You're carrying a backpack? If you are and you can't figure out how to carry your survival kit, then your survival kit is way too big. Streamline your operation, buddy.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 06:44 PM

ireckon -- he wants to carry the PSK separate from the backpack in case they become separated. I second the vest -- Stohlquist Fisherman PFD combines the vest with a PFD.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 07:37 PM

I have seen people in a variety of disaster situations (fires, falls down mountains, airplane crashes, etc) and the one place where the clothing seems to remain intact (except in a deadly fire) is the front torso area. Fanny packs, pants, belt pouches and packs all seem to get torn off or lost somehow. Shirt pockets or vests seem to withstand the forces, and if it is in that area, it is more likely to survive for you to use.
Posted by: frediver

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 07:44 PM

Yep the PSK should be in something that you can't ditch or be separated from easily.
If you don't plan on suing any of the items except in an emergency
then why not vacuum pack the kit.
IMO the hard box is a waste of time,space and weight unless it is something like a metal sushi tin, ie cooking container.

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 08:25 PM

I know everybody has different taste and body type. Anyway, I highly recommend these cargo shorts from Gander Mountain.*
Cargo shorts from Gander Mountain
The quality/price ratio is high. The material is ripstop cotton, which is now my favorite material for cargo shorts. The sizing is consistent with my jean size.

*My only affiliation with Gander Mountain is as a customer.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/22/10 11:26 PM

I carry min in my back - in a small beltpack -cause I always have my pack. When I don't I wear the belt pack. Simple
Posted by: DavidEnoch

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 02:00 AM

I tried carrying a small shoulder bag with a daypack and like the combo. I put the shoulder bag on first and then the daypack. When I stop the pack comes off but I keep the shoulder bag on. A small cloth shoulder bag works best this way. It gives you a place to keep often needed items. It is important not to overload the shoulder bag or it will not be comfortable.
David Enoch
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 03:08 AM

I carry my PSK in my Front or Side cargo pocket! If you don't wear similar hiking clothes,You could Alway's stash it in your Calzones!If someone Enquires to the"Bulge",Tell them You are happy to See them! Despite the Good info from the other posts,Isn't it Summertime in Chile?If it is,You'll be more likely to shed everything but the shorts,in this case,Unless...Your destination is Up in The Andes or Tierra del Fuego! Bueno Suerte!
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 03:17 AM

on key ring...Fox whistle/Gerber AAA LED/pill fob (aspirin and immodium)/p38

cargo pocket in 300ml HD ziploc bag reinforced with duct tape..AMK signal mirror/Katadyn ClO2 tabs/blood stopper gauze/3x3 gauze/ cloth knuckle bandage/insect wipes

on belt in multitool pouch... 4 quarters/Vic Farmer/offset screwdriver w 2ft duct tape/miniBic w button compass/firesteel/tweezers/spare AAA/HD needle and safety pins w section hacksaw blade/mini pencil/20 ft mono cordage

clipped to rt front...Benchmade Elishewitz axis lock

left front Leatherman PS4 and generic clip on cap light

Motorola Razr

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 03:28 AM

Geez, Les, what does your EDC look like?
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_supplies.php?viewType=Dice%20Bags&info1=Dice&info2=Bag

Cool link! I put in my favorites, but not my survival gear faves- I could use them for dice! I've got about 350 dice of various types (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d30 & d100)...can anyone guess what for? grin
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

Cool link! I put in my favorites, but not my survival gear faves- I could use them for dice! I've got about 350 dice of various types (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d30 & d100)...can anyone guess what for? grin

Making Tough Survival decisions in the wild?
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 04:00 AM

You like Crap...s!
Posted by: WILD_WEASEL

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 10:11 AM

My Altoids Tin Kit rides in the cargo pocket of my 5.11 pants.

Cheers,
George
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 02:40 PM

Dweste... I guess I don't distinguish EDC vs PSK vs GHB...I'm retired so wear pants with cargo pockets most of the time... I built my "kit" around the Vic Farmer because of the saw and awl...always carried a folder in my pocket even at school, and P38 and light on key ring...I pirated the PSK stuff from a AMK but had problem carrying the mirror... also wanted some way to transport and purify water for a 24hr period...the heavy duty zip pouch solved both problems and allowed for some additional flat storage for medical supplies... the heavier stuff like the offset screwdriver and Farmer easily went in a multitool pouch with room for the miniBic and others and weighs less than a multitool... the PS4 was recently added, and I use it and the hat clip light daily

I guess the belt pouch and zip pouch would constitute a PSK, and the other stuff is used daily (EDC) just convenient for me to split them up... regards

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 02:58 PM

Somebody suggested a vacuum sealed pack. I definitely would not do that. When traveling, there are numerous not-quite-emergencies, and my survival pack is oftentimes the only thing on me. I'm not going to refuse to open a vacuum sealed kit just because the problem is not quite an emergency. The kit wouldn't stay vacuum sealed for too long. For this and other reasons, I don't use vacuum sealed kits. I'll use them for food storage though.

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Dweste... I guess I don't distinguish EDC vs PSK vs GHB...I guess the belt pouch and zip pouch would constitute a PSK, and the other stuff is used daily (EDC) just convenient for me to split them up... regards

Got it!

Always interesting to see how folks think about their stuff.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Fabio

Hello all,

I´m preparing for a trip to Chile next January. I'm going to do a 5 day trek, a 4 day sea kayak trip and a volcano Climb. The problem is, how to carry my PSK in these activities?
I have a Doug's PSP in a hard case. It is a little too big to the pockets of my hiking pants. The backpack waist band prevent anything attached around my waist. a jacket pocket isn't a good alternative, because I expect to be changing insulation layers frequently.
So, what do do? Strip or divide the contents of the PSP to store well in my pants' pockets? Attach a pouch to my backpack with a quick release device? Or just keep it inside the backpack my current preferred method... ).
In this trip I will try a modified fishing vest to use over the base clothing layer, but I don't know if it will be comfortable.
I'm curious to know how you carry your PSKs while backpacking!
Best regards,
Fabio

I think you're idea of breaking it up into multiple pieces is your best best. I have a PSK and FAK that each weigh about 4-4.5 oz which I can stash in the legs of cargo pants. But normally, I carry a daypack or a detachable portion of a backpack that I can store the relevant items in. While kayaking, keep the size down and stash in your PFD vest and cargo pockets. My point is - if you keep you kit down to smaller modules you have more options to store those items on your person.

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 06:42 PM

What are people's experience with a vest in a hot climate? I wish I could do the vest option in a hot environment, but I sweat way too much. The vest will have a strong stench by the second day. Also, note that while you're kayaking, you will (or should) be wearing a life vest. A vest underneath the life vest may be uncomfortable.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 09:08 PM

After some experimentation, I found that the Doug Ritter PSK rides quite well in my cargo pocket on my left thigh. If this will work or not will depend on your personal preferences and the exact configuration of that particular pocket on your particular body.

If this doesn't work out for you I would try splitting the contents among the various pockets, keeping everything as flat as possible.

The most comfortable spot is no doubt the upper front pocket of my goretex anorak, but that isn't always on me, and it needs to be removed every time I change the number of layers. And it's nice to free that pocket for other stuff. But if you know for (almost) certain that this particular jacket will be used whenever you are actively doing some activity (and only removed to adjust during periods of inactivity) then this may be a good trade-off.

For me, a west will be nothing but cumbersome. I have enough garments to meddle with as it is.

You could also consider a pouch around your neck, possibly with a sling under one arm (such as concealed gun holster). Wear it on top of whatever garment you won't remove during the day, and positioned exactly where your backpack straps aren't.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 10:25 PM

Military giys and gals wear load bearing vests all the time in hot climate.Give it a few dunks in a lake or stream and call it good.You should check out a RIBZ VEST,as it was designed to wear with a pack.IZZY on this forum did a great review of it.I don't have one but want one.....badly.....

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/23/10 10:27 PM

For every-day-carry I got away from carrying a kit, as such. Given the area is suburban/rural not wilderness there isn't a huge call for an extensive kit.

Instead I distribute through my pockets a few items that have proved consistently useful like a small lighter, multi-tool, small hank of line, etcetera.

I have more stuff in the truck. And more still at home.
Posted by: MichaelJ07

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/24/10 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

OMG! I fell outta my chair on that one!

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/24/10 05:46 AM

I guess we have no AD&D fans here? confused grin
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/24/10 11:59 AM

Close your eyes now. If you can't find your light then you are too far from it. Though a digital watches light might be enough to get to the main one.
qjs
Posted by: Fabio

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/24/10 09:10 PM

Thank you very much for the excellent insights!
Just to clarify, my trip will be to the Aisen and Lagos regions in the Chilean Patagonia. I’m going to start with the Cerro Castillo trek, then a kayak trip to the Pumalin park fjords, and finish the trip climbing the Osorno Volcano. So, it will be a cool summer vacation!

Based on the discussions, I think that I’m going to divide my kit in small packets that fit the pockets of my hiking pants. I have some waterproof small bags that needs good use! Additional equipment will be in the top compartment of my backpack, that can be used as a fanny pack.
For the kayak part, I’m going to use a small dry bag for additional survival equipment, inside the kayak cockpit and tied to myself.

But I will try a vest for the climb: It will be cold, and there is a lot of things that need to be accessible during a climb, and taking out the pack frequently in a steep and crevassed snow field isn’t a good idea...

I tried to use a vest here in central Brazil, but It was too uncomfortable to trek with . Of course the military and law enforcement use tactical vests here, but when I look the dark color uniform some of them use even under the tropical sun, I think that voluntary suffering is part of the requirements for that kind of profession...

By the way, the Ribz Front pack is really an interesting idea! In fact, a vest striped to the essentials. I think that I have one more item on my wish list!

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas!

Fabio

Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? - 12/25/10 03:39 AM

I always wondered where a person would take a vacation...when they already live in Brazil! grin