Posted by: Jesselp

SOG Stuff From Woot - 12/03/10 07:44 PM

www.woot.com

Today, 12/3/2010, they have a bunch of stuff from SOG

1) Entrenching tool
2) Hand axe
3) Folding saw

$39.99

I've bought from them in the past, but no affiliation, yadda yadda.

What do you think?
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: SOG Stuff From Woot - 12/03/10 08:18 PM

I have some SOG stuff from many years ago -- first rate. But I suspect they're feeling the heat these days, and perhaps they're looking for the mass market at the lower price point? Just my impression, I may be totally wrong (and I hope that's the case).

I haven't seen or used the gear in this woot deal. The entrenching tool has extremely grumpy/negative reviews from Amazon buyers. The hatchet is supposedly 420 steel -- I worry about stainless in an axe or machete, since it's more prone to chipping/fracturing than straight carbon.

So you pays your money and you takes your chances. My $0.02.
Posted by: jmarkantes

Re: SOG Stuff From Woot - 12/03/10 08:43 PM

Another good source is camofire.com. Another daily deal site, geared toward hunting, but they have a SOG knife just about every week. I got the Field Pup for about $30. I think it's $60-70 regularly.

J
Posted by: BigToe

Re: SOG Stuff From Woot - 12/03/10 10:38 PM

I bought this set in a previous woot. It's definitely the lower end stuff, aimed at the Walmart type market. That being said, if you accept that, and are buying it (as in my case) for putting in your emergency supplies, then it can be a good deal. I used all the pieces when I first got them. The saw is functional - we used it to trim a bunch of dead branches and it performed fine. The axe is light weight, but again is functional. The shovel is pretty flimsy but I used it to trench and it is usable. They are small and lightweight, the shovel and saw fold into small profiles. All have sheaths. None of the pieces are going to be a dependable everyday tool but I'm happy to have them in my kit.