How many of you get faced with this question?

Posted by: sybert777

How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/17/10 10:49 PM

The most common question I get asked is... "Why do you carry/have a ______?" If so, what is the most asked about item?
Posted by: sotto

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/17/10 11:42 PM

Easy. Key Defender.

"To keep nosey people away." ;-)
Posted by: ireckon

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 12:47 AM

(My answer started short, but then I just kept typing...)

Yes, I do get the question a lot. First off, I try to be discreet, mainly because I hate dealing with that question. The question is typically rhetorical, and the person just wants to poke fun. Anyway, if it's a good friend/family asking the question and I think they sincerely want to learn, then I answer honestly without being a smart-ass. If it's not, then I'd probably ignore the person. I don't look like I'm an approachable person. So, I don't get nosiness from strangers.

Everyday at a minimum, I carry the following:
-man bag
-cell phone
-flashlight
-spare AA battery
-spare car key
-whistle
-tiny ferro rod
-mirror
-bandana
-5 feet of paracord
-button compass
-cash
-credit cards
-driver license
-business cards
-pen
-folding knife (in pocket)

Before you starting thinking that sounds like a lot, realize that all of that stuff can be held in one hand. I have had practical use for each of those items in suburban/urban environments.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't understand why I carry a brightly shining flashlight. They're the same people who always need to borrow it. I should start denying them until they can articulate at least two reasons for carrying a flashlight. smirk
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 12:49 AM

"Why do you carry Bandaids in your wallet"? I tell people it is because I am accident prone, but they usually ask the question while I am treating someone elses cut.

Mike
Posted by: haertig

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 03:07 AM

I can't say I've ever gotten the "Why to you carry..." question. Usually it's "I'm glad you carry..." The glad part they refer to is typically my knife or my flashlight.
Posted by: Blast

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 03:40 AM

A flashlight...while lighting things up during power outages. crazy

-Blast
Posted by: Susan

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 04:18 AM

Tow strap and "something to write on".

I've moved the tow strap from my own car to my work vehicle. Some of the places I have to go have a lot of trees around (mostly cottonwood) and only one way in/out. So, if a tree comes down on the road, I have to drag it out of the way with the Suburban.

"You always carry a tow strap?" (incredulously)

"Yes... aren't you glad?"

Otherwise, I don't get asked much. My friends always have a box or bag of gear, so I don't need to answer dumb questions like that from them.

Sue
Posted by: Paul810

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 05:28 AM

Most people don't understand, but the smarter ones still know to come to you if they need something.

Now, the really smart ones eventually start carrying some stuff of their own.

It's always fun when someone starts out as the former and then turns into the latter when something finally clicks in their brain.

Speaking of which, a few weeks ago a good buddy of mine stopped over my house and we were just hanging out talking by my garage. He notices all this stuff I have laid out on my garage floor (which is all the winter stuff the goes in my SUV). He asked me what I was doing with it and what it was for? I told him I was checking it to make sure everything was good before the winter got into full swing.

I could almost see the little light-bulb go on in his forehead. He said, "ya know, the only thing I toss in my truck for winter is an ice scraper.....making up a bag with some tools, supplies, and stuff like that is a really smart idea."

He just called me the other day asking if I would give him a list of my stuff so he could put something together for his truck and his wife's van. With the list I'm also going to send him two leatherman multitools...just to get them started. grin
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 11:06 AM

Families and family business make things funny. For example, the tow strap, virtually everyone I grew up working with and everyone I'm related to would just expect there to be a tow strap in a vehicle with four wheel drive. It is just standard for us.

I suppose that is unusual, but it feels like it shouldn't be.

Nice thread.

R
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: sybert777
The most common question I get asked is... "Why do you carry/have a ______?" If so, what is the most asked about item?

Lighter.

"But you don't smoke, what do you want one of them for?"

I've always been tempted to tell them that I'm a recovering pyromaniac.........

I usually mutter something about needing to light a fire under some ....hole.

Sorry, being expected to justify what and why to the wilful ignorant, as apposed to explaining to the interested get's on my wick.
Posted by: ScouterMan

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 12:22 PM

A knife. My Leatherman Wave, actually. For some reason, they're surprised (or afraid) that it's sharp.

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 12:45 PM

I, as most of you know, am still in Highschool, and I get asked all the time... "Whats this, whats that for, why do you carry?" and it usually refers to Ferro rod, Fox 40 Whistle, Flashlight, as Blast said, While lighting up a power outage, (in my shoulder bag [Man Bag] along with item #4...) P.S.P, and Spudz lens cloth and P-51 can opener. I do not smoke but I do carry a Peanut lighter (which, being in H.S. people think is a pill container containing Ritalin, Vicodin, Xanax, Etc.), I am not a recovering Pyro... I am one! smile Also, the F.A.K. in my Man Bag, and the Bandaids in my wallet, they raise a question, usually while helping someone out, as mentioned above.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 01:55 PM

#1 - "Why do you have a light on your necklace? Are you afraid of the dark?"

#2 - "Do you really think you need to take a first aid kit everywhere you go?"

#3 - "Why do you have so much stuff in your purse?"

I've stopped caring what they think, try to be discreet so I don't have to answer so many "questions", and I try to just smile and nod when I'm helping them out with some of my "overkill" stuff.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 02:47 PM

I often get asked why I have so much on my belt. My daily belt carry when not at work is a Surefire 6P, a Gerber LX1.0 LED Flashlight, a Leatherman bit kit, a SOG Force Multiplier, and a Leatherman wave. That puts about 5 items on my belt. When ever I am asked I just say that I used to do SAR in Alaska and Old habits die hard. That normally dismisses people’s questions.

Though the other day the Police were visiting my house to talk to my roommate, (nothing serious) but when they saw my belt they became more interested in what I did for a living and why I was so well equipped. That I found interesting.

I always carry a man bag with me either in my backpack or on me directly. The interesting thing is that those that see what I carry; either dismisses it to my SAR days, or in the process of asking to use what I have on me.

Much like those of you that had the tow strap that you were using as someone was asking why you carried it. Those that are asking why I carry something (tow strap, axe, hammer and tools, ECT) are normally in the process of needing what they are asking why I carry it.
Posted by: haertig

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 05:21 PM

I forgot - I have been asked why I carry two knives. They can see the metal clip in my pocket and right near that is another pouch. My answer is "they're for different uses". Which is true. The thing in my pocket is a knife, and the thing in the pouch (looks like a knife pouch) is a spare magazine - yes, "different uses". It's nobody's business what those uses are except me.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 07:14 PM

I never get asked by strangers as I don't keep anything visible. My stuff goes in cargo pockets, vest pockets, jacket pockets or packs. My packs are well made hiking packs or messenger style that don't scream tactical. As far as friends go-- sure I get some teasing, however, when someone needs a band aid, something to cut with or a light--it's me they come to.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/18/10 09:13 PM

I reply "The better question is why don't you have a ... with you?"

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/19/10 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: JBMat
I reply "The better question is why don't you have a ... with you?"
Good idea JB!

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/19/10 12:45 PM

One of my favorites is when someone asks why I carry something that I'm using in that moment. "Because" might not be a good answer but it's a little more polite than "Duh!"

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/19/10 01:04 PM

My friends are the same way... Sadly even teachers know to come to me first! I have gone through 3 band-aids in 1 week in my Welding class, not for me of course! I whip out my wallet and 5 people immediately ask. I have had to use my Mag0Lite once, but it was to fix a track torch. It seems that every time someone sees something I'm carrying, it's the same thing... What is it? Why do you have/ carry it? Who would carry that around all day? When have you ever had to use that? Where did you get that? < That is my favorite question, because it shows me that some people might actually take up prepping.
Posted by: Susan

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/19/10 10:47 PM

"Those that are asking why I carry something ... are normally in the process of needing what they are asking why I carry it."

Yes, they don't even get it then! I just say, "Oh, it's come in handy a time or two." Explaining is a waste of time. If they have to ask the question, they aren't likely to understand the answer.

Sue
Posted by: hikermor

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/20/10 12:24 AM

I, too, have carried band aids in my wallet for several years. It really keeps things on an even keel when someone gets a minor owie - which accounts for the majority of "first aid" incidents. I usually keep a decent but small FAK in my bag or brief case. I will get into it about once a year, but those are fairly significant incidents. I am a bit surprised that your instructors haven't started carrying a few band aids themselves.

The most useful item in my EDC is probably a flashlight on my key chain. It came in very handy last year when I was assessing a fellow worker with a petit mal seizure, and I use it pretty often for far less serious situations.

If it isn't on your person, it is entirely too likely that it will be unavailable in a sudden emergency.
Posted by: comms

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/22/10 05:08 AM

"I carry X because you don't and you need it and now you owe me. Big time."
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/22/10 05:48 AM

Originally Posted By: ScouterMan
A knife. My Leatherman Wave, actually. For some reason, they're surprised (or afraid) that it's sharp.

Always something of a oddity that so many think carrying a sharp knife sharp is a radical act. Somehow both dangerous and, no pun intended, edgy.

A bit of a bumper sticker slogan but if you want to carry a dull knife you can avoid the odd looks and carry a spoon.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/22/10 01:57 PM

I occasionally get funny looks, but not that often as I rarely advertise what I'm carrying. The really funny thing is how often people rib me for the first aid kit I carry in my chef knife case. Especially given I've cut a fingertip off twice and had innumberable cuts that should have been stitched, not to mention the uncountable burns I've received over the years. Given the fact that professional cooks spend many hours swinging razor sharp knives and working over 1200 degree broiler and vats of 350 degree fat you'd think the notion of carrying some advanced 1st Aid tech would be passe. Of course, they quit laughing when I cap their "gusher" with a Hemcon bandage or a package of Celox. wink

Incidentally my work FAK is pretty minimal. Since I work a quarter mile from the best hospital in the state my emergency kit is geared towards the most common kitchen problems: Cuts, burns & hangovers. grin A couple of times I probably could have some my electrolyte tablets for $10 each. cool

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/23/10 03:30 AM

I got stymied today. I saw a woman at my hotel waiting at the elevator with a unopened bottle of wine, they had left the cork screw in the car. Of course I had my EDC on me but brought my LM w/ me for the trip and not my SA Champ which has a cork screw. She laughed because her husband was in the same boat, thus the trip to the car. We got a good laugh on that.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/27/10 02:23 PM

I usually just reply that I grew up in the Boy Scouts and was taught to be prepared.

I don't really have one thing that stands out as far as being asked. I get asked about everything, from a flashlight, to bandaids, to duct tape.

I guess duct tape is the funniest one to me.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/27/10 02:47 PM

I think a lot of us started out as Scouts, and it's just a natural progression. Last week was spent in Disney World in FLA and my Mother in Law spent it in a rented wheelchair due to really bad knees. Anyway one of her chairs kept telescoping just enough that the front wheels would connect with the larger wheels. My Father in Law looks at me and says that if we were home he knew that I would have Duct tape. The look on his face was priceless when I just smiled and handed him my small roll of DT that I keep wrapped around a flashlight. grin
I also supplied band aids, dental floss and safety pins to everyone throughout the trip cool
Posted by: ireckon

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/27/10 03:19 PM

On Thanksgiving, when everybody was trying to figure out where north was, I was asked why I have a tiny button compass. The question brought laughs and heehaws. Nobody listened to my answer, and nobody made the connection to survival of course.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/27/10 06:29 PM

Flashlight or headlamp. I don't know how many times I have been asked why I "feel the need" to carry a flashlight with me all the time. I usually say "because I am afraid of the dark".

At work, many co-workers have laughed at my headlamp. For some reason the same firefighter's who see no problem with a light on their fire helmet or a headlamp on their wildland helmet think wearing a headlamp on an EMS call is weird... until they want to borrow it of course. I on the other hand believe trying to hold a light between your shoulder and head is dumb, and having to have someone hold a light for you when you are charting is a waste.

Firearms are a close second... and I usually respond with an adaptation of a Pat Rogers' quote "I don't carry because I am looking for a gunfight, I carry because I don't want to miss the opportunity to return fire should I find myself in a gunfight." or "You never need a gun until you need one very badly"

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/27/10 09:29 PM

I am with you on a headlamp for EMS situations. Back when I took my first EMT course (1974?), on our first practical exercise I approached a victim in rather poor lighting who was complaining about a broken arm or some such thing. I don't believe I had any kind of light with me. Only after I had put a really beautiful splint on his arm did the instructor and the victim point out that his right leg had been amputated just below the knee, or at least that is what the moulage indicated.

That resulted in much better and thorough patient surveys in the real world incidents that followed. Having a working headlamp made those surveys a lot easier. I would say that over half of the people I have handled in SAR were reached and treated after sunset. Even in an urban environment the light can be far less than ideal.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/28/10 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
On Thanksgiving, when everybody was trying to figure out where north was, I was asked why I have a tiny button compass. The question brought laughs and heehaws. Nobody listened to my answer, and nobody made the connection to survival of course.

I get that a lot too. When you're inside a building, having been turned around a hundred times up and down stairs and hallways and need to know which way is West, I'm the guy to ask.

Another one I get asked a lot is about my Fox 40 Micro on my keychain. If the asker seems serious, I tell them it's to get someone's attention when they're running heavy equipment. If they seem not-so-serious, I tell them it's my rape whistle. Must work, since I haven't been raped since I started carrying it.
Posted by: dropout

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/30/10 02:41 AM

My leatherman. Mine is a leatherman pulse. It's an old model I got for being in my buddy's wedding. However, I get asked less and less considering I fix all manner of problems for friends and family. They wonder less and less all the time.

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/30/10 12:33 PM

I wish I got Leathermans for attending weddings!!
Posted by: Matt26

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 11/30/10 07:41 PM

Quote:
I wish I got Leathermans for attending weddings!!

You will, when you are part of the wedding party itself. grin

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/01/10 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: comms
"I carry X because you don't and you need it and now you owe me. Big time."

LOVE IT!!
Posted by: SheetBend

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/06/10 11:04 PM

My family and close friends no longer ask me why I carry ___? They now ask if I can fix ____, and are happy when I pull something from my pockets (or belt) and fix it for there right there.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/07/10 03:16 AM

Not the most oft asked question but one that caused me a little embarrassment. smile
One day one of the young 20ish good looking gals at the office needed a needle and thread to fix something. I volunteered my survival kit - she came over and I proceeded to dig through my altoids tin. Absentmindedly, I forgot about the condom (i.e. water bag) which SHE promptly noticed and for the rest of the day she was telling the story to everyone she came across. I became the guy (btw, single and middle aged) who carries a condom in his survival kit! Oh, tee hee hee... [rolling my eyes]

"Oh, go ask Rory if he has a _____ [fill in the blank], he's got EVERYTHING!"
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/07/10 04:05 AM

Hilarious! Well, it's evidence that you're not dead yet. Could be worse things whispered around the office. You never quite know where it might lead. grin

EDIT: You should change the colour and style of "water bag" weekly. People apparently notice these details.
Posted by: 6pac

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/07/10 12:54 PM

Hopefully, for your sake, you were carrying a "Magnum"?
Posted by: Krista

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/07/10 01:09 PM

Kind of off but a little on topic... I used to tease my husband about carrying his pocketknife everywhere. Over Thanksgiving we went to NYC, and they wouldn't let him in a museum with the knife. I wanted to just leave but he didn't want to disappoint the kids. So he "stashed" his knife in a hiding spot outside the building. Of course, there are eyes everywhere in the city and the knife was gone when we came out of the museum. frown

The point is, since he's lost the knife, we've already needed it for one thing or another about 5 times! Getting him a new one is priority now.
Posted by: m9key

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/08/10 12:59 AM

"leatherman/gerber/knife" and my answer to that person is you'll need one sooner or later...........
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/13/10 06:25 PM

I bought Leatherman Waves for all of my groomsmen in my wedding party. Of course I got one for myself and my father-in-law.

My father-in-law uses it on an almost daily basis at work. My nephew and brother are never without it while camping.

As for the topic question, I don't hear it much anymore. The in-laws just know that I have whatever I need on hand for most part and they are impressed that I'm so prepared. Makes them feel that their daughter and grandson are well looked after.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/13/10 10:41 PM

Well, I got asked I didn't have something today.

I don't keep superglue in my bag of tricks- if something goes wrong, I've got a tricky brick, which isn't so useful.

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/14/10 02:36 PM

While Leathermans are great multi tools, I would submit that we knife aficionados can do better than such a pedestrian gift, especially for special occasions like wedding parties.

I submit to you the Case Sodbuster Jr. one of the most historically American blades out there. There is a rich history and classic style of this single blade that demands carry for special occasions.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/14/10 11:31 PM

Groomsmen at my wedding 23 years ago all received nice knives as gifts, we called them "Dress Knives" and they probably still carry them for that purpose. Mike
Posted by: MichaelJ07

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/21/10 06:31 AM

I simply say, "Doesn't everybody?" Seems to stop the process after that.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/21/10 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Groomsmen at my wedding 23 years ago all received nice knives as gifts, we called them "Dress Knives" and they probably still carry them for that purpose. Mike

I am always leery of giving a knife as a give. In Chinese culture (in fact many cultures), it symbolizes cutting the relationship bonds. You give a knife to indicate that you are no longer friends. A fact that was pointed out when I mistakenly gave my father a pocket knife for Christmas to replace a worn out SAK that he had.
Can you say - "Oops!"

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/21/10 06:16 PM

Interesting. My culture must be one of those that does not adopt this symbolism. Knife gifts are happily accepted. I would be totally tickled to death to get a Leatherman Wave.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/21/10 07:23 PM

I too have given knives for Christmas and have always received a big thanks. One just needs to be aware of cultural practices and norms of others, just as they should be respectful of yours.

Pete
Posted by: JIM

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/21/10 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

I am always leery of giving a knife as a give. In Chinese culture (in fact many cultures), it symbolizes cutting the relationship bonds. You give a knife to indicate that you are no longer friends. A fact that was pointed out when I mistakenly gave my father a pocket knife for Christmas to replace a worn out SAK that he had.
Can you say - "Oops!"

IIRC That's why you need to give a silver coin back to the person who you get the knife from. 'so that the knife doesn't cut friendship'
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: How many of you get faced with this question? - 12/21/10 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM
IIRC That's why you need to give a silver coin back to the person who you get the knife from. 'so that the knife doesn't cut friendship'

Yes, that's an old tradition. Something to do with the old formalities around duelling, perhaps? To offer someone a sword/knife is to challenge them to single combat. But if a token amount of money is exchanged for the blade, it is symbolically a transaction, not a challenge. (Wish I could find an authoritative reference regarding this.)