ATAX survival Tool

Posted by: Anonymous

ATAX survival Tool - 11/22/02 12:10 AM

I wanted to know what you guys think of this survival tool. I think it's cool but a second opinion doesn't hurt. <br>Here is the web site...<br>http://www.survival.com/atax.htm<br><br> Frank
Posted by: Schwert

Re: ATAX survival Tool - 11/22/02 02:12 AM

Hawk,<br><br>My opinion (having never handled the ATAX) is that these types of do everything tools are complex and difficult to use.<br><br>My personal preference is for a good knife, ax etc. instead of a combo tool. I am sure that in the hands of Ron Woods this device may shine, but in my hands I think I would prefer my Becker and an ax.<br><br>I do like the divot drilled in the tool to use for the hand piece on a firedrill.<br><br>I am sure others have actually used this and their opinion would be better.
Posted by: aardwolfe

Re: ATAX survival Tool - 11/22/02 02:29 AM

Chris commented on his experience with this tool in a previous post in this forum (10/24/02 08:22 PM). He felt that having several tools was preferable. <br><br>I think this may be a matter of perspective. Certainly, if you are looking at the ATAX as a replacement for all your survival gear, you're putting all your eggs in one basket, which is a bad idea. However, if you think of it as a replacement for your hatchet (which conveniently happens to do a whole bunch of other things) then it may make more sense. Otoh it may not, especially if it's only marginally adequate as a hatchet.<br><br>Maybe the trick to evaluating these "multi-use tools" may be to stop thinking in terms of replacing EVERYTHING, and think in terms of replacing JUST ONE THING (perhaps two). If the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, then go for it.

Re: ATAX survival Tool - 11/22/02 03:43 AM

Thanks for telling me your opinion but I still want to know more opinions and if anyone has used it that would be great.<br><br>I wasn't even thinking of using this to replace my normal knives and axes but it is a good tool to have by your side.<br><br>Frank

Re: ATAX survival Tool - 11/22/02 07:27 PM

I think this is a great tool.I want to order one but every time I try they are sold out.But they get some in in a month.That proves how great this tool is.They can't keep none in stock.

Re: ATAX survival Tool - 11/22/02 09:38 PM

Thanks for your opinions.<br><br>Frank

Re: ATAX survival Tool - 11/23/02 02:07 AM

Looks cool, but gimicky. What happens when the markings fade due to heavy use/mother nature? Seems to me the inclinometer/compass/etc would be rendered useless. I'd save your money, get a multi-tool, a good knife, a bic lighter, some tinder, a 12x12 tarp, some 550 cord, a compass, and a photon 2. You'd still have $150 to spare.<br><br>John McIntire
Posted by: johnbaker

Re: ATAX survival Tool - 11/23/02 04:07 AM

I think it looks like a nifty tool. And I wouldn't mind having one. But somehow $230 seems a little much, even if the instructional video is included at no extra cost. I agree with John M.<br><br>But if they ever do a 90% off sale...<br><br>John