my new psk

Posted by: Tjin

my new psk - 11/21/02 02:09 PM

i just replaced my psk and here are the contents:<br><br>my psk contents:<br>SIGNALING GROUP <br>-perry whisle<br>-Interior of Storage Tin serves as Signal Mirror<br>-a signal mirror ( shiny sheet with peel of plastic ) <br><br>EMERGENCY DEVICES GROUP <br>-small locking folder, 50/50 serrated/plain edge ( china )<br>-2x single edge shaving blades ( USA )<br>-bcb flint and steel<br>-B.C.B. Commando Wire Saw (w/out finger rings)<br>-5x lifeboatmatches + striker<br>-8x coughlans "waterproof" matches,<br>-brithday Candle<br>-a sigicalblade, <br>-4x paperclips, <br>-3 alminium foil sheets,<br>-Button Compass<br>-Brass Snare Wire<br>- fishing wire 10meter ( 8,5 KG )<br>-10x Fishing Hooks, small<br>-2 medium hooks <br>-3x Fishing Weights, large<br>-1x Fishing Weight, small<br>-8x midium weights <br>-1x Leader w/ large swivel<br>-10x Leader w/ small swivel<br>-Cottonwol+ pertolium jelly tinder <br>-p 38<br>-Hacksaw Blade with "sharpened" end <br>-red Ledlight<br><br>WATER & FOOD GROUP<br>-10x aquaclear tablets <br>-2x ziplock bag ( 1 L )<br><br>MEDICAL GROUP<br>4x plasters ( sterile ) asst. sizes<br>3x medi strips ( sterile ) <br>1x antiseptic swab<br><br>MISCELLANEOUS & MULTI-PURPOSE GROUP<br>-Sewing Kit ( 2 needle, 2 safety pin, 2 buttons, wire )<br>-40 cm Plastic Tape<br>-Metal Handle for tin bottom<br>-accident evaluation report sheet<br>-Waterproof Survival Instruction Sheet<br>-Storage Tin<br>-ducttape ( 2x 3.7x30 ) on peel of sheet<br>-2x binders<br>-nylon wire<br>-platypatch ( to repair water bladders )<br>-electrican tape <br>-4x safety pins small<br><br>any comments ?
Posted by: mick

Re: my new psk - 11/21/02 05:02 PM

Where do you live?<br>I only ask because youve put a large emphasis on food procurement.<br>Either way an brilliant well rounded kit.

Re: my new psk - 11/21/02 05:43 PM

im dutch ( the netherlands ), you can find that info in my profile...<br>i don't really think i got much more emphasis on food procurement than others, i added the about of alluminium foil to compensate the small amount of aquaclear tabs, and the amount of fishing gear ( the 8 medium sized weight are wrong its 5 ) is because that's proberbly the easyed way to produce food for me.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: my new psk - 11/22/02 04:22 AM

Could you take a picture of your PSK and put it on the Forum?<br>Thanks.<br><br>Frank

Re: my new psk - 11/22/02 06:14 AM

i dont have a camera....
Posted by: aardwolfe

Re: my new psk - 11/23/02 02:25 AM

1. How big is the storage tin? just curious.<br>2. What's a "sigicalblade"? A scalpel? Isn't that redundant with the shaving blades?<br>3. Have you considered a space blanket? MSR makes one that is silver on one side and orange on the other, with survival instructions printed on the orange side. Might not fit inside your PSK but would be a useful addition IMO<br>4. You seem to have a lot of wire for different purposes - brass snare wire, fishing wire, and some in your sewing kit. Is it all necessary or is there some redundancy there?<br>5. Why no finger rings for the wire saw? How are you planning to use it? I took one of the rings off my (cheapo) wire saw and swapped it with the ring on my keychain; that way, the smaller ring nests inside the larger ring. Saved a surprising amount of space.<br>6. One thing I've been thinking of adding is a long, flexible plastic straw. Last year, with my cadet group, we put together a number of water collectors. The most successful one was a clear plastic garbage bag arranged over a small bush - the water collected in the folds at the bottom, but it was virtually impossible to collect it without spilling it. A straw to drink it would have been invaluable, had it been a real life or death sitch. Speaking of which:<br>7. Water collectors?<br><br>All in all, a pretty neat kit.

Re: my new psk - 11/23/02 09:38 AM

1 it's just a standard sixe tabaco tin 11x8x3 cm<br>2 yup it's a scapel. i put as much sharp stuff in it because i dont carry large blades on me ( forbidden by law.. ) besides it didnt took up much room..<br>3 if all ready have space blankets and stuff like that ( not the MSR one though..) in my pockets.<br>4 i find ussing fishing wire to repair my closhing is much harder than with normal wire. <br>5 i always got lots of rings on my keychain... and they didnt fit in to my PSK <br>6 well though of if, but i just cant find any in the stores... they are all stiff round here ( the straws )...<br>7 there are enough rivers and channels round here so you can scoup some up in a ziploc bag, if that doesnt work i always got a bandana.. i though of cutting a comprased/ dehydrated spong in half and add it to the kit, but i couldnt find it in the store's were are they wenn you need them ?<br><br>i will add a flexible straw and maybe a sponge to the kit if i will bumb in to one in a store..

Re: my new psk - 11/25/02 06:45 PM

For a flexible tube for water collection you might try a medical supply store and get a latex IV tube. This also has the advantage that it can be used as an elastic for improvised sling-shot.

Re: my new psk - 11/26/02 09:56 AM

unfortunatly there aren't any medical supply store round here...i will see what i can find.. but thanks for the tip !<br>

Re: my new psk - 11/26/02 01:03 PM

I believe that this web site has what you want. If you enter tubing as a search term into the frame on the left you will find it. You will have to wade through a bunch of stethescopes but it is there around page 3 of the search results. Called MANUAL JET VENTILATION KIT. <br>Hope this helps.

Re: my new psk - 11/26/02 02:27 PM

unfortunatly i dont have a creditcard, so i have to get the stuff locally....

upgraded PSK contents - 11/30/02 03:58 PM

i found latex tubing at a fishing shop wenn i was searching for a gaff ( and found it ) <br>this is my PSK contents with all the flaws removed and with the new items added: <br><br>SIGNALING GROUP <br>- 1x perry ( Lifeboat ) whistle<br>- 1x Interior of Storage Tin serves as Signal Mirror<br>- 1x a signal mirror ( shiny sheet protected by peel-away sheet ) <br><br>EMERGENCY DEVICES GROUP <br>- 1x small locking folder, 50/50 serrated/plain edge ( china )<br>- 2x single edge shaving blades ( USA )<br>- 1x scalpel #13<br>- 1x Hacksaw Blade with "sharpened" end <br>- 1x B.C.B. Commando Wire Saw ( w/out finger rings )<br>- 1x B.C.B. flint and steel <br>- 5x B.C.B. lifeboatmatches + striker<br>- 6x Coughlans "waterproof" matches<br>- 1x brithday Candle<br>- -- Cottonwol+ pertolium jelly tinder ( NOT wrapped in to something )<br>- 1x B.C.B. Button Compass ( 20mm )<br>- 1x Brass Snare Wire ( 6 meter / 20 feet )<br>- 1x fishing wire +/- 10meter ( 8,5 KG )<br>- 1x fishing wire +/- 20meter ( 8,5 KG )<br>-10x Fishing Hooks, small<br>- 2x large/medium hooks <br>- 4x Fishing Weights, large<br>- 5x midium split shots <br>-12x Leaders w/ small swivel<br>- 1x gaff ( XX-large hook )<br>- 1x p-38 G.I. canopener <br>- 1x red Ledlight <br><br>WATER & FOOD GROUP<br>-10x aquaclear tablets <br>- 2x ziplock bags ( 1 L )<br><br>MEDICAL GROUP<br>- 4x plasters ( sterile ) asst. sizes<br>- 3x 3M medi strips ( sterile ) <br>- 1x antiseptic swab<br><br>MISCELLANEOUS & MULTI-PURPOSE GROUP<br>- 1x Sewing Kit ( 3 needle's, 1 safety pin, 2 buttons, cotton wire )<br>- 1x nylon wire ( unknown lenght )<br>- 3x Twist Ties, plastic covered <br>- 4x safety pins small<br>- 4x paperclips <br>- 1x 2mm x 18 cm latex tubing<br>- 1x platypatch ( to repair water bladders )<br>- 2x alminium foil sheets (+/- 30 x 40 cm )<br>- 1x alminium foil sheet (+/- 30 x 70 cm )<br>- 1x electrican tape ( 1 meter wrapped around tin )<br>- 2x ducttape ( 3.7x30 cm ) on peel of sheet<br>- 2x +/- 1 meter ducttape wrapped around tin<br>- 1x Waterproof Survival Instruction Sheet<br>- 1x Metal Handle for tin bottom<br>- 1x Storage Tin ( 11x3x8 cm )

Re: upgraded PSK contents - 11/30/02 04:03 PM

and uhm.. the duct tape and elcticial tape will be replace by gaffer like tape ( not sure weather it is reall gaffer's tape, but it doesnt leave any residue and is stronger.. )<br>
Posted by: Trusbx

Re: upgraded PSK contents - 12/02/02 03:29 AM

All in all a pretty good kit.<br><br>You might want to consider adding a few other medical items like paracetamol / ibuprofen for pain/ fever and lomotil (diphenoxylate+atropine) for diarrhoea and the like and some antihistamine - piriton or polaramine.<br><br>

Re: upgraded PSK contents - 12/02/02 03:06 PM

personally i think that, taking painkillers is worser than the pain...<br>bear in mind that im only 15, so buying medicine without persprition is hard !<br>besides i didnt had much space left...
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: upgraded PSK contents - 12/04/02 12:57 AM

PC2K,<br><br>Very well done. How much of it can you get into the tin? <br><br>Wish I had done as good of a job at a PSK at 15 as you have with yours.<br><br>It is likley that there are legitimate pain killers and anti sick medications available over the counter, perhaps your parents could research this with you (and a doctor if needed as well).<br><br>All in all, great job!

Re: my new psk - 12/04/02 04:57 AM

Again! The need or a comprehensive fishing kit.<br><br>Mariner.

Re: upgraded PSK contents - 12/04/02 01:57 PM

thank you<br>but how much of what can i get in to my tin ?<br><br>i don't think im gonna buy to a lot of medicine for that kit since i got this thing against pills... but wenn i bumb in to a pack, i will pack some..<br>
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: upgraded PSK contents - 12/05/02 02:45 AM

PC2K,<br><br><br>Just wondered how much of the content list that you provided was able to fit into the tin. >Smile< It seems like marvelous packing job. <br><br>Each time I repack my kits, it gets harder and harder, at some point one has to go to two tins due to the "new & better" components that I keep adding.<br><br>Regarding the medications, I understand your thinking, and am not advocating packing anything that one might be uncomfortable including in a PSK. As each person is unique, so to are their needs and PSK's.<br><br>Be safe.

Re: upgraded PSK contents - 12/05/02 01:51 PM

well i fitted everything inside exsept for the tape i used to seal the tin with. i think it is allready bulky enough without something on the outside.. that why i don't have paracord around it.<br><br> i had that problem of repacking my stuff to, wenn i got new stuff.... my first psk i actually carried as EDC thing was 8x5x1.5 cm the second 9.3x5.8x2 cm and the current one is 11x8x3 cm... and it is FULL !!