My PSK (w/ Picture)

Posted by: cyko

My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 12:56 AM

Okay, here it is, as promised. I was dealing with a budget so I haven't added the Photon 3 yet and I am going to upgrade the saw to a wire one soon. Let me know what ya think! I put one up on eBay to see if anyone would buy one, search "PSK-100" if interested, hehe.<br><br>CONTENTS:<br>1. [1] Waterproof Pelican™ Case (yellow & clear) w/ pressure purge. More info at Pelican.com<br>2. [1] Aluminum container inside Pelican™ case, Morse Code chart inside lid (container bottom can be used as a signal mirror)<br>3. [1] 50’ Flat Roll of Silver Duct Tape<br>4. [1] Stainless Steel Multi-Tool (not Leatherman® Micra™, but exceptional quality)<br>5. [1] 100” Roll of Galvanized Snare Wire (fits in middle of duct tape roll)<br>6. [21] Sheets of white paper in mini-pac container<br>7. [1] 3” Graphite Pencil<br>8. [2] Plastic coated twist ties<br>9. [1] Piece of hard candy (for quick energy boost)<br>10. [2] Small safety pins<br>11. [1] Small sewing needle<br>12. [1] Small Butterfly bandage<br>13. [2] Small Band-aids<br>14. [2] Medium Band-aids<br>15. [1] Betadine® Povidone-Iodine “Snap-N-Swab”<br>16. [2] Isopropyl Alcohol 70% wipes<br>17. [1] Pure Sugar packet<br>18. [2] Salt packets<br>19. [2] Black Pepper packets<br>20. [1] G.I. Can Opener<br>21. [1] 8” roll of aluminum wire<br>22. [3] Small paperclips<br>23. [5] Wind & Waterproof Matches w/ striking surface<br>24. [1] Non-Lubricated Latex Condom (water storage)<br>25. [1] 2ml Glass (borosillicate) bottle w/ cork & cotton filler containing 8 Potable Aqua® water purification tablets<br>-------(use 2 tablets per quart or liter of water, shake and allow 30 minutes before drinking)<br>26. [1] Large Needle (this needle is magnetic, keep away from compass)<br>27. [1] Spool containing ½ black nylon cord & ½ standard cotton thread<br>28. [1] Large rubber band (rolled)<br>29. [2] Small rubber bands (around large rubber band)<br>30. [1] Zippo® flint (inserted in middle of large rubber band roll)<br>31. [1] Button Compass (Made in Japan and accurate – Blue arrow = North)<br>32. [1] 6” Tungsten Saw Blade<br>33. [1] Spool of 8lb. Test monofilament fishing line<br>34. [1] ¼ oz. Lead fishing weight<br>35. [1] Small Treble hook<br>36. [2] Small Bait-holder hooks<br>37. [1] Small Yellow Fishing lure with hook and spoon<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 04:53 AM

Did you buy this kit or did you put it togather yourself.If you bought it please tell me where.<br>Thanks

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 05:08 AM

rules? <br><br>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1585407835&rd=1<br><br>I actually keep a simliar kit myself....<br><br>What is the shelf life of the iodine?<br><br>

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 03:23 PM

"rules", what do you mean? I don't understand, hehe. Anyhow...<br>I have searched online for the shelf life of the Iodine and found a similar product with a 2 year shelf life, but it was sealed, as mine is not, so I am not completely sure. I would suggest replacing all medications with fresh ones every 6 mos. to a year.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 03:29 PM

I assembled this one myself, I have one up on ebay right now here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1585407835&rd=1 I really like the Pelican(tm) case, they are great. I use one for my digital camera too. You can't beat the toughness and waterproof seal!
Posted by: mick

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 04:55 PM

Did you make it?<br>I saw one of these been sold on ebay.<br>Or did you buyit off ebay?

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 06:08 PM

Here are a few thoughts....<br><br>Why two containers, plastic pelican case and metal case? Double the weight. The metal case could provide a cooking pot but the outercase adds weight (and protection to the contents). I would suggest getting rid of one.<br><br>Firestarting. I only see 5 matches w/ striking surface. The flint in the tape seems awfully small to be able to hold and strike. I would add some alternate fire starting method like the BSA Hot Spark, or 1/2 an MFS with hack saw blade, or a mini disposable lighter, or a Fresnel Lens, or ... Fire is too important to only have 5 matches.<br><br>Rubber bands and Paper clips. Granted they don't take up much space or weight but how useful are they in a survival situation? Do you have any specific plans for these items? If you plan on using the paper clips as fishhooks, just add more fishhooks. If the rubber bands are going to be tinder, there are better choices which are easier to start.<br><br>You have 100" of Galvanized Snare Wire , 8" of aluminum wire, and 2 Plastic coated twist ties. But I don't see any rope. Again each of the items weighs little and takes up little space but I would prefer to have some mason's twine or 550 paracord instead of 3 kinds and lengths of wire. I would recommend keeping the snare wire and add some rope or twine.<br><br>You have two needles, 1 Small sewing needle and 1 Large Needle (this needle is magnetic, keep away from compass). If you are going to magnetize one, why not both to provide additional backup? Needles could be very easy to lose and having both magnatized would be one more layer of protection.<br><br>Safety pins. You have 2 small. I have carried safety pins in my kits for years. I find that I seldom use the small and tend to need the larger pins. If you are going to use them as make shift fish hooks, include more fish hooks instead of small pins and add a couple of large pins.<br><br>Pepper packets. Useful to add/cover flavor of game caught but not a requirement in a survival situation. If you have space left over, leave it in but that space might be better used for other stuff.<br><br>Signalling. No mention of a whistle. Good idea of using the bottom of the metal tin as a signal mirror but still not sure why you have two containers. There was some discussion on another web site about your kit and the difficulty of sending and recieving morse code without MUCH prior practice. The suggestion was to include a chart of ground to air signals that might be more useful. As long as you know SOS in morse code, it is unlikely you will need the rest.<br><br>[21] Sheets of white paper in mini-pac container. I am a neat freak and like packaging but I am not sure if this is the best use of space and weight. I am guessing the additional container is an effort to keep the paper dry and organized.<br>The paper is already in a watertight Pelican case. Unnecessarily redundant. Good that you included a pencil to write on the paper.<br><br>Bandaids. You included 2 small and two medium. I would prefer several 3/4"x3" and some 2x2 or 4x4 gauze pads. The small bandaids are fine for shaving knicks but not really enough coverage to offer any real value during suvival. Since you have 50' of duct tape, use that to secure the guaze pads. They can be used as tinder as well as offer first aid protection.<br><br>Condom. I still carry one in my kits because I have not switched over to alternatives yet. You might want to review earlier posts in this forum regarding condom usage for water storage. Basically the problems include difficult to fill, difficult to carry, difficult to close, breakdown while in storage (due to heat and friction). Oven roasting bags and some other alternatives got better reviews in this forum.<br><br>Micra look a like. It has a blade, tweezers, and tools. I carry a Micra in my pocket at all times. You need some kind of blade in your kit. Your "micra" is more durable and more verstile than a razor blade. Not a bad choice.<br><br>GI can opener. They are useful for opening cans, but you don't have any cans in your survival kit. They are small and light weight. They also have a hole in them so they can be carried on your keyring to make more room in your kit. Wrap tape around it so it doesn't open while in your pocket and attempt to open your leg.<br><br>Water purification tabs. Great! Your container may be insufficent. Recommend you check out ETS articles about small containers that are airtight and not affected by the iodine leaking.<br><br>Monofilment fishing line. Fishing line is useful for many things. You might think about switching to Spyder brand braided line. Reportedly you can get significantly higher breaking strength in the same size line. There is a cost associated with that. Also "normal" fishing knots do not always hold and you may need to learn some new knots to use the Spyder line. By higher I have heard 50 lb line in the same size as your 8 lb. <br><br>Small hooks will catch big fish but big hooks only catch big fish. Good choice on size. You only have 2, you might think about a few more so you could set up several lines at the same time. How are you going to attach the lead weight(s) to the line? You might think about pre-tieing the hooks and adding the weights before placing in your kit. Easier to use in the field and less likely to lose pieces.<br><br>Sorry to sound so harsh.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 08:04 PM

Nice review Resqman. I agree on all your points. Here is my take on a few of the items in the kit. Overall, I think this kit has a good start, but I would improve or change a few things.<br><br>I agree the two containers are not necessary. I have found the Altoids tin to be too small for my kits. I would use the plastic box only.<br><br>Like Resqman, I would definately improve and diversify the firestarting tools. I would add a BSA HotSpark, AND a small disposable lighter, AND some Tinder Straws with Vaseline/Cotton.<br><br>I would dump the salt, sugar, pepper.<br><br>The Portable Aqua vial sealed with a cork is probably going to result in iodine stained contents and/or inactive tablets. With a vial this size, I would fill it with tablets, or use a full unopened bottle of Potable Aqua. You only have enough for 4L of water. I would add a rolled breast milk bag or oven bag.<br><br>Without the tin inside the box you may be able to get a garbage bag inside for shelter. I would also add Paracord, either wrapped around or as a coiled hank outside the box.<br><br>I would add a real Signal Mirror and a Whistle.<br><br>I would replace the micra clone with a one-layer SAK or larger folder. My kit in a plastic fly box has a Spyderco Centofante Clipit with nearly a 3" blade.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 08:33 PM

Wow, you really analyzed my kit, good job. I have already pondered most of what you said before. Let's see if I can reply to some of your constructive criticism!<br><br> Q: Why two containers? <br> A: Because all of the contents do not fit into the small Altoids can and the Pelican case is waterproof. The smaller contents are more organized in the Altoids can and then the whole pack is sealed in the Pelican. Also, this kit is designed only as a "backpack kit", "carry kit", or "vehicle kit". It is not meant to be a "pocket kit". Pelican cases are great!<br><br> Q: Why only five waterproof matches?<br> A: You should only have to start one fire, and KEEP it lit. If it is a more intense situation, like if you are evading enemy military and have to extinguish it frequently, you always have natural ways to create a fire, not to say these are the easiest, but they are possible. Hopefully you don't get stranded in wetlands.<br><br> Q: How are rubberbands and paperclips useful in a survival situation?<br> A: A large rubberband can be used as a small tourniquet for a digit or hand. They can also be used as tinder like you suggested, they can be used as a binding (their original purpose), lastly, they can be melted and the carbon is very dark and can be used for facepaint for being more subdued at night. The paperclips have some use too. You can straighten one out, sharpen one end to a point, and make a dart, hook, gaff, or small game spear. They can be bent and looped to form many small barbs for whatever purpose you may need.<br><br> Q:Why don't you have any rope or cord?<br> A: Nature can easily provide me with that. Many plants and vines are contain very strong fibers in their bark, and if stripped properly can be woven into a very strong cord or even rope. Paracord is good stuff, but is bulky and I didn't have very much space for it. Maybe in a larger kit, it will be included.<br><br> Q:Why magnetize just one needle and not the other?<br> A: The needle was already magnetized, hehe, I just found out when my I packed it and had the needle near the compass and it went bonkers. I moved the needle to the other side of the can (it sticks to the wall of the can) and the compass levelled out). How do you magnetize something yourself anyways? I know it can be done, I just don't know how...<br><br> Q: What are the safety pins for? No, they are not to be fashioned into hooks, they are more for fabric binding purposes, like if you lose a button or something. I suppose they could be used as hooks and that would work, but I have hooks for hooks, smile.<br><br> Q:Why have pepper packets?<br> A: I love pepper on my food, as I am sure other men do too. Besides, they don't take up alot of space at all.<br><br> Q:Why no whistle? <br> A: I can use a blade of grass or a leaf as a whistle. Some people can whistle with their fingers and mouth louder than a ref in the NFL can with his saliva filled aluminum whistle.<br><br> Q:Why include the morse code chart?<br> A:If communication was needed, morse code is good to know. I do not plan to memorize morse code, so I included a chart. I thought it would be useful if needed.<br><br> Q:Why the small band-aids? <br> A: That tin can is packed! I have no room for gauze, gauze is a luxury!! LOL, I wish I could fit a MASH unit in that can, but I can't.<br><br> Q: Why use 8lb test fishing line instead of Spyder line?<br> A: I will have to direct you to my wife for the answering of that question. I do think Spyder line is ideal for any kit.<br> Wife: "He isn't going to spend that much money on fishing line!, NO WAY"<br><br>I hope this explained or answered some of you questions. A PSK is something that is never completed, and is also based & designed to an individuals needs and skills. My PSK is not for everyone, but I am sure everyone should have one. Thanks!<br>

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 08:35 PM

I did make this kit, and the one you saw on eBay is probably one of mine.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 08:50 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will have to add those tinder straws with vaseline/cotton! I forgot about making those, thanks for reminding me. I will throw a couple of those in there. I will also be investing in a Photon 3 LED and a wire saw in the near future. Again, I have the dual containers for different purposes....one is for waterproofing and keeping everything together, and the Altoids tin is for organization and can double as a standalone pocket kit. I will contninually be adding and substituting items for others of higher quality and I suggest everyone do the same. That is why we have these forums, to share and learn and help, I am glad to be a part of this great forum! Again, thanks for the constructive criticism. smile
Posted by: Tjin

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 08:53 PM

quote "It is not meant to be a "pocket kit". " <br>doesnt the diffenition of PSK includes a kit that is carry on the person as a EDC ?<br><br>quote "always have natural ways to create a fire" <br>natures way needs lots of training, i dunno how experians you are, but if you gonna rely on it you defenetly needs training for that. if you don't, it will be very hard t learn in the field<br><br><br>quote: "The paperclips have some use too. You can straighten one out, sharpen one end to a point, and make a dart, hook, gaff, or small game spear. They can be bent and looped to form many small barbs for whatever purpose you may need."<br>that is seriously pushing the edge... don't over estimate a paperclip !!! if you bent them they break very easly...<br><br>quote: "Nature can easily provide me with that. Many plants and vines are contain very strong fibers in their bark, and if stripped properly can be woven into a very strong cord or even rope" <br>again, have you experians with that? if you don't it will be very hard t learn in the field<br><br>i do have to disagrea with Resqman about the gi can opener ( p-38 ) though. they are very versatile ( check this out http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml )<br>they can be used for much more that opening can's.. you can use it to open screw, wire stripper,etc...

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 09:21 PM

Don't over estimate a human being. When put in a stressful situation, I can become very versatile and use things to my advantage. I do not have experience in weaving ropes and such out of plant fiber but I am sure and confident that if I had to, I could. You could have the best PSK ever but if you crack in an intense situation or make a foolish decision, it becomes worhtless, or even worse, USELESS or non-existant. I think the human brain is the best possible PSK ever, some people even carry it with them all the time. :)<br><br>PS: IMO, a PSK doesn't necessarily mean "pocket kit", it means "Personal" kit, my PSK could fill the contents of a backpack if I wanted it too, at least that how I view it.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 09:52 PM

well a psk is a EDC equipment, unless you always carry a backpack anytime/anywere its got to be pocket size...<br>( ok, it debatibel )<br><br>quote: "When put in a stressfull situation, I can become very versatile and use things to my advantage"<br>you can never predict how you will act in a survival situation, unless you are in one, so instead of becoming very versatile it could freak out, forget you knowledge,etc. even a good trained person can forget simple things in stressfull situation... so don't think that you can do thing you have never done before in stress, theorie is very diffrent than pratice.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 09:53 PM

Just a few suggestions would be to get a less bulky knife. You really don't all the functions on a leatherman type knife for normal survival needs. Another would be to add another fire starter like a sparklite.You should add more tinder like cotton and petroleum jelly or tinder quiks that come with a sparklite. You might want to have more than 8 portable aqua tabs if you were stuck in a situation for longer than 4 quarts of water you might be in trouble. You should also have only one container for your PSK, with two you can hold more but it is bulkier. Last but not least you should have some rope or cord like 550 paracord, it's thin but strong and the inside strands can be used for sewing, fishing line, to repair nets, etc. <br>Hope this helps with your kit.<br><br> Frank
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 10:03 PM

[Q: How are rubberbands and paperclips useful in a survival situation?<br>A: A large rubberband can be used as a small tourniquet for a digit or hand.]<br><br>I would caution you in using a rubber band for this purpose. First, direct pressure and elevation should control the bleeding for the most part. If absolutely necessary, pressure applied to an appropriate pressure point should be the next step. A tourniquet (IMO) is a last resort, should be applied only by trained persons. Generally a wide surface area i.e. cravat, provides the more appropriate pressure than a narrow rubber band. The use of a tourniquet can lead to necrosis of the area distal to the tourniquet and can also lead to life threatening cardiac arrhythmias from toxins released from necrotic (dead) tissues. Pete

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 10:22 PM

Not to sound rude but really you have been watching too much Survivor and seen Castaway too many times, your not going to suddenly know how to make rope out of vine or some other usefull skils if you have never praticed them before. What if your in an accident like a plane crash and can't make your grass whistle what are you going to do when the rescue choppers are flying over head and can't hear anything because you can make enough noise. What if your arm is broken and you can't weave rope, what are you going to do?? What if you can't keep a fire lit because your in a downpour of rain and you run out of matches, you need fire fast and can't get a natural way to work, what do you do? By the way rubber bands wear out some what easily so it would be my first choice for a tourniquet. <br>Not to sound rude or anything but you should read up on skills and pratice them before relying on them in an emergency.<br>Tom Brown writes some really good books on wilderness survival and tracking. (www.trackerschool.com)<br>Hope this was helpful.<br><br><br> Frank

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 10:24 PM

I use to carry a P-38 on my keyring. They are verstile. Great thing to carry in your pocket with your knife. If I was building a PSK, they would probably not make the list of things I put IN the kit. Having one on my keyring makes better since to me.<br><br>I would rather use that space for fire, shelter, water, first aid, or knife.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 10:47 PM

I dont know man, what would you do, I would probably just say a prayer and rely on my faith in God to help me out of a situation like those in your scenarios. Also, I son't watch alot of TV, and I have only seen Survivor twice and thought it was Hollywood BS. I own CastAway on DVD and thought that Tom Hanks' character was a complete moron in it. He thru away half the stuff he found in the beginning. I would have completely stripped the pilot's clothes off and USED them. He buried them, why? I sais it before and I will say it again, my PSK is not finished! I will always and continually be improving it. Sheesh!

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 11:07 PM

I meant to say "a temporary tourniquet", hehe. I would never allow a complete loss of circulation for an extended period of time. I was thinking more like for controlling blood flow long enough for a small suture during minor field surgery.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/21/02 11:07 PM

It was just a joke because you said you could just go out into the wilderness and skill would suddenly come to you like the people in Survivor and Tom Hanks in Castaway. <br>Sorry if I a fened you in any way but I was only trying to make a point. Anyway you should check out those Tom Brown books if you didn't already. He has good plans and illustrations for building shelters, tracking, and trapping. Those books can really teach you about survival they have taught me a lot.<br><br> Frank

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 12:08 AM

http://www.equipped.org/etsbriefings202.htm<br><br>Here is the link to the ETS page about alternatives to using a condom as a water carrier for PSK.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 12:57 AM

Some reasonable trade-offs that others have made:<br><br>instead of 50' of duct-tape which is quite bulky try 10' or less and add some nylon twine and some heavy duty foil. <br><br>dump the extra packaging for the paper and take sheets that are cut to fit the bottom of one of the boxes (inner or outer). this will give you more usefully sized pages and store in less room. <br><br>Use foil tape (metal not duct) to "polish" one of the surfaces of a container for using as a signal mirror<br><br>dump the food and the first aid items - make a separate first-aid box and don't worry about food in a tool kit. this will allow you room to carry more tools for procuring and processing food such as more fishing line / hooks / weights and swivels etc or more snare wire or twine.<br><br>You will need more first aid items than you have here but you can't fit them in this container which is already too large to comfortably fit in you pocket. Break this down to something that is only a tool box for survival and creat another kit with first aid items. <br><br>I find that my EDC is much more than my PSK. If I tried to fit my EDC in one box it would be about the size of a small ammo-can.<br><br>I also carry a p-38 in my psk. I put a razor sharp edge on the long side of it and package it in the paper sleeve from a safety razor. I also carry two safety razors sharing a sleeve and two xacto blades in the psk. This gives me good blade options in my psk should I have to break into it. the safety razors and the p-38 can be used for skinning and slicing and whatnot, the xacto blades can be used as spear points and surgical instruments as needed. I also carry a leatherman wave on my belt at all times so I don't feel the need for a complex tool in my psk.<br><br>I currently carry this:<br>In my slacks, <br><br>Front pocket left,<br>PSK<br><br>front pocket right<br><br>FAK (in an altoids tin) that contains <br>credit card tool, <br>thermometer, <br>4X4 moleskin, <br>plastic gloves, <br>small tube of antiseptic gel, <br>7 bandaids, <br>3 xacto blades, <br>10 aspirin, <br>1 roll of tums, <br>CPR shield, <br>magnifying glass, <br>tweezers, <br>eye-glass repair kit, <br>folding scissors, <br>7 safety pins of varying sizes, <br>2 safety razors<br><br>Key chain (suspended from belt hangs discreetly into pocket) contains;<br>mini (keychain sized) butane torch capable of soldering temps, <br>mini multi tool (with pliers, phillips, flat, 1.5" blade, and 1.5" saw / serrated blade, led flashlight),<br>swiss tech utilikey,<br>swiss tech microtech 8 function tool (with pliers, small and large phillips and flat),<br>asp saphire light,<br>bison small whistle, <br><br>rear pocket left,<br>200+ ft nylon cord (similar to the sheath of paracord without the inner strands and much cheaper)<br><br>rear pocket right <br>wallet with<br>Brunton emergency pocket survival kit ( with disk compass, magnifying fresnel lens, first lifesaving instructions and survival instructions. family emergency instructions sheet with bug-out and bug-in procedures and contacts etc.<br>and of course credit cards and cash and pictures of loved ones.<br><br>on belt,<br>cell phone,<br>leatherman wave,<br>carrabiner compass,<br><br>in Filson #8 cruiser vest customed in wool,<br><br>mini mag flashlight (two AA size)<br>water proof canister of strike anywhere matches (50 or so)<br>spring loaded center punch (for opening uncooperative windows)<br>whistle,<br>led flashlight (1aaa size,<br>large bison capsule with pain killers<br>6 AAA flashlight batteries (alkaline)<br>mechanical pencil,<br>ball point pen,<br>leather bound journal (4X6 about 100 pages)<br>Agenda palm computer (linux based palm replacement)<br>Collapsable lugage ( about 12"X12"X6" when opened, 4X4X.5 when closed)<br>eyeshades<br>ear plugs,<br>piezo electric lighting butane refillable lighter,<br>book paper matches,<br>comb,<br>brush,<br>8 hothands2 hand warmers,<br>poly balaclava,<br>plastic rain poncho,<br>mylar space blanket,<br>laytex gloves,<br>9'X12' nylon waterproof tarp,<br><br><br>I am a software engineer, EMT, and cab driver so I don't worry about my fashion statement OTOH the vest carries this very well and few ever comment on what a carry unless I am providing just what they need at the moment that they need it. Then the comments run from "Thanks" to "what else have you got in there?"<br><br>Credit to Schwert for the idea and a more complete list. I learn from the masters here and only with thier help will I be prepared.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 01:43 AM

Great post mini! Very informative, thanks! It looks as if you are prepared, hhe.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 02:02 AM

MiniMe,<br><br>I knew you would enjoy the Filson Vest. Nice collection and distribution of items in your Total Body Kit (TBK).<br><br>How large a packet is the nylon tarp? I carry the Tacoma Mt Tube tent in the back pouch but would much prefer a tarp.<br><br>Randy<br><br>

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 04:28 AM

Your PSK is good I will use the idea about the p-38.<br><br>Frank
Posted by: aardwolfe

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 05:34 AM

Cyko;<br><br>Well, you asked for advice, and you got lots of advice from people that know far more about this stuff than I do. Whether or not you choose to take that advice is up to you. <br><br>I don't want to start a flame war, and I may be way out of line, but I find your attitude hard to understand. On the one hand, you have a "PSK" which is much larger and bulkier than most. On the other hand, you leave out items that most of us consider essential life-saving pieces of gear, on the grounds that you either don't have room for them, or are hoping to get lucky and find something that you will be able to use as a substitute. And to compound the problem, you seem to have very little interest in learning or practising the skills necessary to make use of these "found" materials.<br><br>Anyway, fwiw, here's my 2 cents:<br><br>>Q: Why two containers?<br>>A: Because all of the contents do not fit into the small Altoids can and the Pelican case is waterproof. <br><br>It would make more sense to me to just take the Altoids tin out of the Pelican case and carry it as a pocket kit. As the Pelican case is a vehicle or backpack kit, sticking the Altoids tin inside it just defeats the purpose of having the Altoids tin in the first place, which is its small size.<br><br>> The smaller contents are more organized in the Altoids can <br><br>Irrelevant, IMO, as I don't think you should be unpacking your PSK on a regular basis in the field. It's for emergencies.<br><br>>Q: Why only five waterproof matches?<br>>A: You should only have to start one fire, and KEEP it lit. <br><br>In an ideal world, you wouldn't need to start a fire at all. We don't live in an ideal world, which is why this forum exists. <br><br>>you always have natural ways to create a fire, not to say these are the easiest, but they are possible. <br>>Hopefully you don't get stranded in wetlands.<br><br>So if you get stranded in wetlands, you just give up and freeze because you didn't think to bring along a disposable lighter or a mag-flint block?<br><br>> A: A large rubberband can be used as a small tourniquet for a digit or hand. <br><br>Cyko, please - I beg you. Take a first aid course. There is no reason, ever, to use a tourniquet on a finger or hand. If you do need to make a tourniquet, a rubberband is not a good choice. (In response to another post of yours, ALL tourniquets are temporary. My rule of thumb is, if I were to use a tourniquet, I would assume that everything below the tourniquet will have to be amputated.) <br><br>Stick the Altoids tin in your pocket instead of your backpack and use the rubberbands to keep it closed.<br><br>>Q:Why don't you have any rope or cord?<br>>A: Nature can easily provide me with that. <br><br>Nature can provide you with pretty much anything, if you know what you're doing. The whole point to carrying a PSK (IMHO) is to give you time to make all these neat things that Nature provides, without freezing to death in the meantime.<br><br>>A: I love pepper on my food, as I am sure other men do too. <br><br>Fine. Carry a salt and pepper shaker. But it doesn't need to go in your PSK.<br><br>>Q:Why no whistle?<br>>A: I can use a blade of grass or a leaf as a whistle. <br><br>Same comment as others have made. What if you've got a broken arm and can't use your blade of grass? What if there is no grass, or none suitable? How much energy are you expending to make your two-fingered wolf whistle, compared to what it would take to carry around a Fox 40?<br><br>>A:If communication was needed, morse code is good to know. I do not plan to memorize morse code, so I included a chart. <br><br>If you haven't memorised the morse code, I can almost guarantee you won't be able to use it in an emergency. <br><br>>Q:Why the small band-aids?<br>>A: That tin can is packed! I have no room for gauze, gauze is a luxury!! <br><br>No, my friend. Pepper is a luxury. Gauze is no more a luxury than blood is, if you sustain a serious injury.<br><br>>> LOL, I wish I could fit a MASH unit in that can, but I can't.<br><br>Neither can I. But I can, and do, carry a basic first aid kit, with a couple of triangular bandages, roller gauze, and sterile dressings.<br><br>It never ceases to amaze me that some people will go to enormous lengths to learn "survival" skills, and put together the ultimate emergency survival kit, and then find excuses not to take a first aid course, or carry a basic first aid kit. <br><br>MHO only.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 05:50 AM

After all, it is ONLY your opinion. You do your thing and I will do mine.... I am gonna go read, good night.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 01:56 PM

why put a PSK ( the altoid tin part ) ( usually the backup kit ) in your main/primary kit ? i would carry 2 instead, if im gonna carry a backpak. primary kit in the backpak and the back-up ( PSK ) in your trouwsers. just incase...

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 02:24 PM

The tarp is a packet approx 8" X 8" square and about .25" thick. Much bulkier than I would like but I haven't had the cash to replace the surplus tarp with a sil-tarp yet. they are much lighter and thinner for the same size and yet significantly more durable than the TMR plastic tube tents. <br><br>I am still amazed by your list and trying to learn. Going over your list again last night when I was making that post I noticed the brass matchcase with compass that you carry. I went googling since mine doesn't have the compass and found one at cabellas is that the one your carrying?<br><br>I find that the tarp slides somewhat side to side in the back pocket so I was interested in the other items you carry in your back. Watch cap and gloves. Do you find that this makes the sitting posture uncomfortable when driving. Do they keep the tent from sliding off to one side? Are they significantly bulky? How do you carry the cordage in the back so that it doesn't get bulky?

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 03:53 PM

Cyko,<br><br>You posted your kit and ASKED for opinions and reviews in a forum that careters to people with interest and experience in this field. You recieved a number of replies and you have explained your reasoning.<br><br>It can be hard to spend time, money, and effort building something and then have others find fault with it. Posters here have built their own kits, tested then in the field, and in several cases survived actual experiences.<br><br>Typically a Pocket Survival Kit includes materials to make it easier to accomplish Fire, Shelter, Water, Signalling, and First Aid. Food is important but follows the other 5 areas.<br><br>Your kit works for you but you did ask for reviews. Sorry if you feel attacked.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 08:10 PM

MiniMe,<br><br>That is the match case I carry. I have both versions, one in brass and one in aluminum. I think it is great. I have versions made by Silva and K&M the inventor. These are getting harder to find as the plastic versions are everywhere. I recommend them highly.<br><br>My back pocket is a bit thick, say 1.5" including the wool of the vest at the base of the hem. I have this boiled wool "helmet" shaped hat from Austria. Inside that is the TM tube tent. This keeps the plastic packet from moving around. Then I have my fingerless wool gloves laying along the bottom hem. I now have a 36" square silk bandana folded in a triangle the width of the back also. The paracord was simply hanked, no knots or anything to keep it organized and laying along the bottom hem. I have been thinking about looping the paracord back and forth at the top of the back pocket and placing small stitches around it to hold it perfectly flat. The paracord is my biggest problem with the stuff in the back pocket. I currently have taken it out until I can solve this issue. It was always a mess and any knots or cinches to keep it organized give me a big lump. I have tried chain stitching which keeps it organized but it still lumps up. I have a few other minor repairs to make to the vest so I may try the stitching of paracord idea.<br><br>The back of my vest is sort of a lumbar support pad. I find it comfortable and it does not look like I have an A** you could set a beer can on....of course, I do not look back there too often <br><br>I carry the TM tube because it is compact but because of its very flimsy nature want a tarp. I have not purchased a nylon tarp because I thought it would have to change my name to Quasimoto. I have no experience with the new SilTarps. I may have to get one. I consider the TM tube to be good for 1-3 days max, at which time a more substantial shelter would have to be constructed. <br><br>I have been carrying hard metal items in the left front divided pockets and now have to repair the bottom inside of each pocket. I put some soft padding into my pockets to keep the flashlight, matchcase, and knives from hard knocks at the bottom of the pockets and wearing the wool....I just did this too late. I am going to repair and reinforce the insides of these pockets then stuff cotton balls down at the bottom to prevent the very hard edges from wearing out the wool. (More tinder).<br><br>If I get my digital camera for Christmas I may be able to take a few photos of this vest and its contents.....fingers crossed.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/22/02 09:49 PM

You my want to check on one or more of the threads on wound care in the field. Due to the risk of infection, it is not a good idea to close a wound in the field. Controlling the bleeding, irrigating the wound and applying a sterile dressing and bandage should suffice in almost every case. Pete
Posted by: aardwolfe

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/23/02 01:57 AM

Cyko;<br><br>I did say: you asked for opinions, you received opinions - most of them from people far more knowledgeable and experienced than I am. What you do with those opinions is up to you.<br><br>Sorry if you felt I was attacking you - I've been criticised before in this forum for coming across too harshly (don't know why that is ;-)<br><br>But I have a good friend who has a simple rule - she tells people flat out, don't ask a question if you don't want the answer. ;-)

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/23/02 04:41 AM

Hey, don't worry about man, no worries. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 11/23/02 03:39 PM

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000560<br><br>Here is a link to another forum that found your kit on Ebay and decieded to review it.
Posted by: xavier01

Re: My PSK (w/ Picture) - 12/02/02 07:01 AM

"you do your thing and I will do mine" If that were entirely true, I wouldn't be posting this, but, this kit is labeled 'survival kit' and is being sold to the public. <br><br>1) Please read up on the use of tourniquets. There is no such thing as a 'temporary tourniquet'. I'm not a lawyer, but what you are suggesting may have some liability consequences. <br><br>2) "they are possible". Sure, manned space flight is possible. May I suggest that survival kit content & procedure be a bit more pragmatic. <br><br>The more dire the need for a particular tool, the more life-threatening it shall be to effect this tool.<br><br>3) You may be versatile and have God on your side, but your customers may not be so lucky or gifted. Please consider that people - human beings - are purchasing your kit, trusting that someone, competent and qualified, has done their homework to bring to them the most amount of SURVIVAL equipment that their hard-earned dollar could buy.<br><br>I love pepper on my mashed potatoes, but I would be hard pressed to believe anyone that told me a packet of pepper saved their life. <br><br>Someone's life might, someday, be relying on the decisions you are making today. Please, genuinely, help them, and, in the long run, you will be helping yourself. <br>