Mt. Whitney Rescue video

Posted by: bsmith

Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/26/10 07:37 PM

this is the video about how the boys got down from Mt. Whitney on 10.21.10.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/26/10 08:10 PM

Good Video. How embarrassing must it have been for the 3 walkers who got rescued though especially when the rescue is now on Youtube for all the world to see. blush
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/26/10 09:55 PM

Cool video, I'm thinking that if you take away the option of that kind of rescue, a group is likely to be more prepared or won't go at all. I'm not advocating to remove the rescue option though.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/26/10 10:04 PM

Nice video. The best helicopter operations are the undramatic ones. I'll bet the military chalked up the time as training.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/26/10 10:41 PM

"How embarrassing must it have been for the 3 walkers who got rescued though especially when the rescue is now on Youtube for all the world to see."

Not embarrassing enough!

One sleeping bag for the three of them, not enough cold-weather gear, and no/not enough firemaking materials. Doesn't it get cold in NEBRASKA, dorks? They'd better stay in the flatlands where they obviously belong.

Sue
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/26/10 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Cool video, I'm thinking that if you take away the option of that kind of rescue, a group is likely to be more prepared or won't go at all. I'm not advocating to remove the rescue option though.

I agree, but I think if you get yourself into a situation through any kind of incompetance or failure to prepare, rescue should come with an adjudicated price tag.

Re: Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/26/10 11:22 PM

As a matter fact, that is the case in some rescues in the NPS (and perhaps other agencies as well). Cases where the victims were really, really dumb generate a bill. The decision to charge or not is made on a case by case basis.
Posted by: sotto

Re: Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/27/10 01:05 AM

Well, that was about the most interesting TV I've seen in 10 years. Can you believe those Park Service guys refused a ride down in that Chinook helicopter? I would have made my Gramma Mabel cook all of those guys a roast beef dinner with all the trimmings to get a ride in that helicopter from that spot.

Re: Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/27/10 03:21 AM

Hey, NPS is tough! Of course, their helo may have been parked just downslope, complete with a steak dinner...
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Mt. Whitney Rescue video - 10/29/10 12:49 AM

photos from the cockpit of the chinook helo that rescued the hikers are here.

video from the rescuee while rescuers approach is here.

at least he said thank you.