Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord

Posted by: kevingg

Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/22/10 09:20 PM

this may be obvious, but I bet there may be some people that have not done it or didn't know how effective it can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHTi-nQWKk
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/23/10 12:30 AM

I apologize in advance for all of the people I'm about to offend, but that IS NOT SPLICING. To me splicing implies some measure of strength, ideally in the range of 90% of the strength of the line in question. I highly doubt that would hold 90% the load of the line.

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/23/10 12:36 AM

gimme a break dude, you are obviously way too smart for me. How about you think of the title as "burning two pieces of paracord together"?
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/23/10 01:00 PM

Much better smile

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/23/10 04:29 PM

Thanks
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/23/10 07:20 PM

Just for the record, what kind of strength does that "splice" produce? I admit I am a bit skeptical about it being very strong...

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/24/10 11:45 AM

never tested it; but can't pull it apart under my own power. fine for projects, lashings etc.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/24/10 12:21 PM

I'll admit that I didn't think of it. It seems to be a perfectly useful technique for joining two sections of cord where a knot is unacceptable and where that section of cord will not be under load. Thank you for posting it.

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/24/10 06:45 PM

thats all I'm talking about Byrd; thanks!
Posted by: BorkBorkBork

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/25/10 12:03 PM

There is a certain method in how to "splice" braided rope correctly. You must know this of course? For someone really interested in working with rope I am surprised you haven't figured out how to do this. The burning and melting/fusing the ropes is kind of a quick solution that will work well in the kind of ornamental work you do. There are several videos on youtube showing the technique.

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/25/10 06:29 PM

its helpful contributions like yours that remind me why I don't spend as much time on this forum as I did when I joined in 2005. thanks for your input.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/25/10 06:48 PM

Kevin,

Please continue to contribute and participate in the forums. I appreciate your hints and admire your craftsmanship.

Pete

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/25/10 07:08 PM

Thanks brother!
Posted by: BorkBorkBork

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/27/10 02:21 PM

Sorry if you felt offended. English is not my first language and if you somehow misunderstood then we have a communication barrier but still it's your problem. Sometimes I think, americans are too sensitive and cannot handle criticism to well.

I only meant that there are other ways to do splicing, there is the quick fix, your way, which works well for the ornamental craft that you do. But for pulling and high tension stress there is the more correct method, true splicing.

Keep up the good work by all means.

(sorry if the message seems a bit garbled and not to the point, english is still NOT my first language)
Posted by: haertig

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/28/10 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: kevingg
its helpful contributions like yours that remind me why I don't spend as much time on this forum as I did when I joined in 2005. thanks for your input.

Why are you so offended? The word "splice" has a very distinct meaning in ropework. I myself read your thread title and immediately thought to myself "Impossible - paracord has a sheath - you can't splice a single cord". You could, in theory, remove the sheath and splice the inner strands, but with seven of those that would be some complex splice!

So I was expecting the same thing as others. A detailed post of a complex procedure. Please don't be offended because many here actually know what the word "splice" means.
Posted by: wolf

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/28/10 09:30 AM

You have been tried and convicted in the court of Webster. Just know that any idea you have ever had or will ever have will now be suspect and picked apart sans mercy. :p

I think joining the two pieces by burning is useful for making bracelets etc. but if I was going to use the cord for anything with any kind of load I'd use a knot. I have been able to pull apart two pieces joined by burning.

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/28/10 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Kevin,

Please continue to contribute and participate in the forums. I appreciate your hints and admire your craftsmanship.

Pete

+1....The fact that Kevin used the word 'splice' instead of 'join' should not cause an international wave of criticism of a useful and well-intentioned post. Anyone can sit in front of a computer in their underwear and criticise the wording of a creative post with an imbedded video. I say let the naysayers post photos and videos of their creative paracord work for comparison with Kevins.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/28/10 01:16 PM

While spicing a rope generally means interweaving laid rope/line, it does have others meanings as well:

Here is a “rope splicer”:
Rope Splicer

Here are ways to splice braided rope (of which paracord is a type) :

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/db_eye.htm

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/db_end.htm

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/db_back.htm

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/db_core2core.htm

Here are some other spicing methods:

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/splicing.htm

Pete
Posted by: OffTheGridReady

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/29/10 09:37 PM

Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area. The fumes are not healthy to breathe in.

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/30/10 02:38 AM

I'm not offended anymore, I've come to the realization that I should thank many of you for helping me understand what a splice is. Thanks.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/30/10 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: OffTheGridReady
Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area. The fumes are not healthy to breathe in.

How is that? I knew that shrink-tubing fumes were cumulative, but I didn't know about paracord.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/30/10 07:40 PM

I know my Domestic Supervisor does not appreciate the smell of melting nylon which, indeed, is pretty nasty. Best to melt the stuff outdoors.

Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord - 10/31/10 01:50 AM

[/quote] I knew that shrink-tubing fumes were cumulative, [/quote]

What do you mean by this? Are you talking about toxins?