RSK Mk1 folder

Posted by: ShelterMe

RSK Mk1 folder - 09/01/10 07:33 PM

Anyone baton any wood with their RSK MK1? Suppress your gasps. I know you shouldn't do it with a folder, but I'm curious. Been carrying a fixed blade Mora for a while because everyone says DON'T risk breaking the pin on a folder by batoning with it. Anyone break one of these yet?

Cheers,

-M
Posted by: jmarkantes

Re: RSK Mk1 folder - 09/01/10 08:35 PM

I've done it. And to the mini. Started out fairly lightly, then just went ahead and batoned the heck out of it. Held up fine. The first time I did it, opening & closing was just slightly tighter, sort of like when it was new. But after a dozen or so cycles everything is just fine.

I also batoned a Gerber folder- broke it right away. It was free and I was testing it out. I think it retailed for around $70, maybe 50. The gerber's locking mechanism broke- it still swung open and closed pretty good, but was useless without locking, so it was tossed.

So I wouldn't say you can baton a folder over $100, or over $120, but I definitely wouldn't baton a folder of lessor quality than around that amount.

Obviously, results are not scientific, ymmv, etc etc.

Jason
Posted by: KenK

Re: RSK Mk1 folder - 09/02/10 12:18 AM

Sorry, I'm still gasping ...
Posted by: ShelterMe

Re: RSK Mk1 folder - 09/03/10 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: KenK
Sorry, I'm still gasping ...

LOL. OK I get it. I was actually more concerned with the locking mechanism or related pins that keep the blade locked open. More of the mindset of having a fixed blade to completely eliminate this concern, but sometimes fixed blades are not practical for EDC. Basically, if there is a possibility that there is a point on a knife that will fail when you need it most, then you should get a new knife that eliminates such possibility. Basically if I could walk around with a BK2 strapped to my forehead, that's the way I would go.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: RSK Mk1 folder - 09/03/10 04:12 AM

I think you are suppose to wedge the lock in unlocked position when baton with a folder, since the lock isn't designed for that kind of stress.
Posted by: Westwindmike

Re: RSK Mk1 folder - 09/03/10 02:33 PM

If you can't baton with it, what good is it?
Posted by: Russ

Re: RSK Mk1 folder - 09/03/10 03:28 PM

Yep, keeping it opened but unlocked is how I've seen folders batoned. I use a fixed blade.