Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing?

Posted by: rotorheadcfi

Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 03:44 AM

Background info: I am a helicopter flight instructor in the pacific northwest. I spend a fair amount of my day over the coastal mountain range instructing pilots in the finer art of flying and landing aircraft away from airports and runways.

Needless to say, there is a bit of risk associated with my current job, and a survival kit is virtually indispensable.

Here is the trick though: Flying small, piston engined helicopters, I am severely weight limited, and storage space is also extremely limited. I need to keep any kit as light weight and compact as possible.

Here's what I have so far (starting from top left):
First row:
2 - 1 gal. storage bags;1- waterproof match case with strike anywhere matches, a fishing hook and sewing thread; 1-Gerber Gator folding knife; 550 paracord;

Second row:
1- First Aid Kit containing various bandages, pads, surgical tape, antiseptics, alcohol pads, guaze, razor blade, shears, moleskin, and other various FAK contents. Also a Bic lighter thrown in as well; 2 film canisters, the first containing steel wool and fire cube, the second containing water purification tabs; emergency blanket; compass (wrapped in duck tape). Everything is contained in double wrapped vacuum sealed plastic bags.

Additional gear that always goes with me: Nomex flight suit, Helmet, folding CRKT knife, couple of plastic bottles of water, VFR sectional chart (fancy aviation term for a map wink ), gloves, and a cell phone.

What I feel I am missing: I think I need to have a means of boiling water, so I am going to get a stainless water bottle. I also think I should have some snacks thrown in as well.

Anything else I am missing? Any changes anyone would suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: aloha

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 04:27 AM

You might want to consider some signaling tools like a signal mirror and whistle. A two-way radio may not be a bad thing to have, nor is a small flashlight.

Having a redundant fire starter like a ferro rod is good back up for if the matches and lighter fails. Some signal flares can serve double duty as a signal device as well as an "I am going into hypothermia and need a fire immediately" device.

I always carry some fatwood and some bicycle inner tube with me since my environment is often wet. I imagine yours is too. It really helps get a fire going when everything is wet.

Maybe one of those bivy bags that redflare sells. I have one in my pack when I am out and about as well as when I travel. I also carry a poncho and some cordage in the carry bag. Both take up very little room but give me emergency shelter. Each one can fit in a cargo pocket.

If you have room, a machete or axe and a folding saw is really handy. I would carry the folding saw, like the Bahco Laplander in a pocket or on-person pouch. I would also wrap the machete (I like machetes) with a wool blanket and tarp with the tarp inside the blanket. An if you want to go in comfort and style, a hammock, like the Travel Hammock takes up very little space, is super light, and can keep you off the wet ground.

Once you get your metal water bottle, you can clean more water with your ability to make fire and you can make expedient as well as a more appropriate shelter with your tools, then you can signal. And with your snacks, you should be able to comfortably await rescue. I am not too worried about having too much food in your scenario.

Oh, and keep as much of your survival gear as possible on your person. Most of the stuff I mentioned except for the machete/axe blanket wrap can be on you comfortably.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 05:23 AM

Hello, rotorhead_, and welcome.

You have just about the most interesting job description I have ever seen.

From my POV the thing you haven't mentioned is SIGNALLING! If you go down (heaven forbid), your absence will be noted PDQ. Someone will come looking; so help them out. Flares, signal mirror, big orange panels, and ways to make fire even with a bum arm or leg. Also, be prepared to send text messages in areas with fringe cell reception; apparently, they punch through even though two-way voice can't.

Also consider that you may be incapacitated and your trainee may be trying to use your gear to get you both out.

Luck!
Doug
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 10:00 AM

Agree about signaling. My first choice for additional gear would be a signal mirror - small, light, and highly efficient (if the sun is out). I would upgrade your match case or wrap the head with tape. The case you have is fine, but I have had the top unscrew on me, not good

I would opt for a small, light metal cup or pot rather than a water bottle.

As much of this gear as possible should be on your person, daintily tucked away.

In your situation, wool clothing is going to be a lot more suitable than synthetics (fire hazard), Dress on the warm side as much as possible.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 10:55 AM

green laser pointer, aerial pen flares, cyalume light sticks on some 550 cord to swing over head to indicate LZ...
Posted by: BorkBorkBork

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 11:04 AM

...a refrigerator, a spare tire and some oil drums..
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 11:47 AM

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned carrying a PLB whistle
All the other suggestions are good but the object is to get rescued as quickly as possible, right?
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 12:10 PM

Rotorhead This is the ultimate choice
please look and drool to your hearts content

Mike

http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_index.htm
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 01:13 PM

Breitling Emergency Watch

Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 01:37 PM

I am very not overly enthusiastic about "space" (survival) blankets. Most of the time, you want your blanket to resemble a bag anyway (i.e. you wrap it around yourself as good as you can, but with limited success). And if you do need a rectangular sheet, 10 seconds of careful cutting will provide exactly that. Consider the AMK bivy bag, or a big, heavy-duty garbage bag and a lightweight poncho.

Duct tape. I love gorilla tape, mainly because I don't have to try the 100 different kinds of duct tape to find the ones that actually works. Wrap some feet around your water bottle, around your FAK and basically any object you bring with you.

A small LED light.

A wool buff.

A snickers bar.

I think the process of assembling a kit is most easily done when trying to answer these questions:

1) Can you get enough to drink, even if forced to stay out for a night or two?
2) Can you protect yourself from the environment, i.e. being too hot, too hot, wet or eaten by bugs, even if forced to stay outside for a night or two?
3) Can you find your way home?
4) Failing that, will someone be able to find YOU?

For aviation, you have the complication that severe injuries are probably likely...

In your situation, I would consider a two-layered system:
- On your person: The PSK equivalent, plus some shelter. The classical bare-bones minimum. Plus a snickers bar. And the personal locator beacon (PLB).

- A bag somewhere in the aircraft. Assuming you don't have space for full size sleeping bags and the like, this would be the aircraft equivalent of what day hikers should carry in their backpacks.

Also, look through these threads for inspiration:
Emergency hiking list
PSK sharing center

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 01:47 PM

1. Get a PLB. The McMurdo Fast Find 210 or Kannad XS4 w/ GPS (same unit) are $250 or less.

2. Get a PLB.

3. The fancy compass is of limited value, albeit doesn't weigh much. In almost all situation you should stay put and let Search and Rescue come to you. Did I mention getting a PLB?

4. Add a whistle - in heavily forested ares it can be especially important for the last few hundred yards location.

5. Add a signal mirror. Not all the environment you fly over is heavily forested and it weighs little

6. You might consider the Adventure Medical Kits Pocket Survival Pak as it supplies the above plus some other added useful items including back-up firestarter.

7. Get a PLB. Did I mention that?
Posted by: Russ

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 02:21 PM

Now that the PLB has been mentioned, get yourself a good way to carry the kit so if you go down, you aren't separated from the kit. Personally, I'm looking at: Switlik HV-35MOD Air Crew Vest

Pick and choose the pockets you need/want to carry your kit, but this way the kit is on you always. Not in a bag that ends up who knows where after impact. If you are alive and conscious, the kit is right here (touch torso).

* Your PLB goes in a pocket accessible by either hand.
* One or two knives of your choice. I go with a strong locking folder (RSK Mk 1) and a Swiss Army Knife with a saw. . . I may have a third knife in my pocket. . .
* A lighter or two on opposite sides of the vest.
* Signal mirror and whistle.
* An energy bar or two.
* A DR Pocket Survival Pak

Suitable clothing for the climate is assumed. In the PNW, I'd have a small nylon tarp, wool blanket and paracord to build a makeshift shelter or just wrap up. This would be in a separate bag, (back of seat maybe?)

Edit: Looking at that picture, I wonder if a KleenKanteen would fit where that air bottle is located on the vest. . . hmmm

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 02:54 PM

I'm thinking fill it with water. Use it during the day, keep it fresh. . .
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: rotorheadcfi
I also think I should have some snacks thrown in as well.

For a snack, I'd suggest a PLB stew with a side of PLB chips and a delicious PLB souffle. Wash it all down with a big jug of PLB-ade.

Seriously, though, welcome. Please update us on your choices and adventures.
Posted by: frediver

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 06:45 PM

Off the top:
I'm surprised it took Doug to mention the AMK kit, IMO
Start with Doug's AMK as a minimum.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com ( pocket survival pak )

Then add a small AMK Medical kit as a minimum.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com ( Ultralight / Watertight .5 - 2010 Edition )
Extra daily meds if you need them.
A few HD pain killers, Codeine with Tylenol or Aspirin

A 1 or 2 liter Platy water bag.
Don't forget the water tabs.

Space blanket (HD or lite wt.) or AMK bivi, or both.
Extra para cord.

Carry these items in a Ribz "vest" this will enable you to use your favorite flotation device. IMO, a copy of a SEEK II Mil Vest but still a great product.
http://www.ribzwear.com

A naglene bottle with a cook cup or HD foil pan for cooking and forget the hard bottle.

A few powerbars, stay alert gum, coffee/tea/sugar sticks
a roll of lifesavers candy and you should be good for a
day or three.

If you are in Bear country I might pack a .357
and I take for a given that you already have a pocket knife and sm. light to include in your vest.

After reading below I agree on the REI matches and trash bags are always handy, better pack at least one.
BUT:
In the PNW with rain you might have a need for real shelter
and you will not be able to have it with just trash bags without cutting them for a tarp.
A Space blanket can serve as a tarp, reflector, blanket etc.
a plastic bag can as well but not serve "as well" !
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 06:49 PM

Lot's of great comments!!

I'd suggest using the REI "storm proof" matches instead of the strike anywhere type.

I also agree with an earlier comment that recommends dumping the space blanket. I'd recommend either a blue poly tarp or 4mil plastic bags.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
I'd suggest using the REI "storm proof" matches instead of the strike anywhere type.

I also agree with an earlier comment that recommends dumping the space blanket. I'd recommend either a blue poly tarp or 4mil plastic bags.

The REI matches are great. Make sure, if you don't bring them in their box, to bring the included striker.

I like the Heatsheets blankets myself.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 11:10 PM

Stainless water bottle and fishing kit both seem to say that you are expecting to be physically capable of fishing and maintaining a fire to keep you fed and watered. Handy if it works that way. But what if a hard landing compresses your spine and your ability to function is limited. You may be limited to a very small area and may be quite unable to boil water or gather/prepare food.

It isn't unknown for helicopter pilots to land hard and be unable to get out of their seat. What you have to work with may be what you can reach while strapped in. At the least you need some water and some food that you can come up with without having to move anything but an arm.

I would include/substitute a filter straw. The straw is good enough to keep you going for days without requiring you to even have a container because you can sip water from a puddle if need be. This made more practical because the odds are, as I understand the PNW, you can find some water even if you have to drag yourself to it. Filter straws are light and compact enough to fit one or two in a shirt or vest pocket.

Power bars, Cliff bars, Datrex rations that ride in your flight jacket, suit, survival vest, may be all the food you have and all the food you get.

Stuck in a seat an inexpensive space blanket may be more practical than heat sheets or other blankets or coats you are not wearing. Stuck in place you could tuck the sheet around you to reserve warmth and block wind. The space blankets can be useless compared to better products but the simple Mylar version can ride in a pocket and be there for you if you can't move.

I don't object to people carrying fishing kits and what I consider long-term, verging on homesteading, gear. Everyone has to make their own plan; and live with the result. But people who are fit enough to fish and gather wood to regularly boil up water seem just about fit enough to walk out under their own power. The point being that if you can walk out, or at least make progress toward a settled area, why would you spend time homesteading?

Posted by: ironraven

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 11:26 PM

Doug already mentioned the PLB. He's not joking.

In order of what you mentioned...

In your match case you've got thread- you're probably a lot more likely to need a needle or two than you will a single fish hook.

How are those water purification tablet packed. I see too many kits from people who should know better where they just roll a few PA iodine tabs in Saranwrap and call it good. *shudders* I'm hoping couple of chlorine dioxide tabs in their origional packaging?

The mylar space blankets are OK. A Heatsheet is stronger, quieter, and makes a better signal panel, but is a little bigger. The Thermolite bivy is better still, but you need to be really, really skinny and very friendly to get two people into one.

Signals. PLBs are good, but everything can break. Whistle, with a spare for the student. Signal mirror. I like the little strobes that Egear makes, they aren't much bigger than a watch. They have short range ,maybe a mile from the side, but they can be used as a constant on light to.

And a dedicated flashlight.

And that's the on person stuff.

I have, over the past few years, become very much a fan of wool blankets. For one thing, they don't burn very well. Is there space for one, maybe rolled up with a tarp, a few contractor bags (expedient ponchos, among a great many other things), two watchcaps, and more P-cord, in your aircraft?

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/30/10 11:42 PM

Yep -- fortunately the few helo rides I've had (again, all over-water) were uneventful. However, landing in the coastal mountain range away from airports and runways brings with it the possibility of a rotor-tip hitting something solid. The dynamics of what would follow make me think of spinal injuries and other damage. This could be one of those situations where if you don't have it on you, be it in your flight suit pockets or vest, you don't have it.

Serious injury also reiterates the need for a PLB. Don't make SAR waste time doing the "S" -- a PLB takes them straight to the "R" -- that and a signal mirror and a whistle. Your PLB needs to be where either hand can access it without the assistance of the other hand -- you may only have one.

I really like the lower leg pockets on my flight suit for some gear, very convenient while seated. However, with a serious spinal injury those pockets may as well be on the moon.

Food isn't a survival issue until way later. Fishing? fuhgetaboutit.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/31/10 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
It isn't unknown for helicopter pilots to land hard and be unable to get out of their seat. What you have to work with may be what you can reach while strapped in.

That's what happened to Mike Durant when he landed hard in Mogadishu. Despite the shock absorbers built into his seat, the impact broke one of his legs and some vertebrae cracked from compression. He likely would not have been able to exit the craft without being pulled out by Shughart or Gordon.

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/31/10 02:07 AM

Thanks everyone.

Couple of quick points. My main concern isn't necessarily a crash landing (although that is a possibility). More likely is a situation requiring either a forced or precautionary landing, followed by a forced vacation in the woods. An example situation occurred a few years ago, when an instructor had to make a forced landing on a logging road in the mountain. They were picked up by another helicopter just a few minutes before dark. Any later and they would have had to wait at least another day, and considering the unpredictable weather in the PNW, there is no guarantee that the next day's weather will be any conducive to getting an aircraft in.

Other big concern, unfortunately, is weight and storage space. The aircraft I fly have very small useful loads, and taking extra equipment often means taking less fuel, which is not always a great trade off. I figure I can spare about 3#. The entire kit needs to fit within a pocket in my flight bag.

I like the idea of the PLB, I'll be looking into that as finances allow. Unfortunately, that might be a bit.

Signal mirror also seems like a good idea. I'll be picking one up shortly.

The space blanket is far from ideal, but in a compromise between weight, compactness and versatility, it's probably about the best I can do. Realistically, in cold weather, I would likely be working to create shelter and fire, and use that for warmth.

Any other ideas are of course welcome.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/31/10 02:51 AM

Given the scenario you've outlined, it seems to me that a saw would be a highly practical addition. There is no more efficient tool for gathering wood or making shelter. And the weight penalty is minimal.

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/31/10 02:57 AM

Swap the knife in your kit for an SAK Rucksak, locking main blade and saw in the larger Swiss Army format.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 08/31/10 03:08 AM

With a three pound limit, you can put together a decently comprehensive kit, somewaht broader in scope than what you have now. Really pay attention to ounces - I would look long and hard at the need for two knives (I do not buy into the "two is one, and one is none" philosophy), and you can get lighter knives of comparable utility than what you have now.

Consider one or two very light freeze dried meals to go along with your snacks. You should have no problem getting water.

I am curious, does your office or any one else track your flights? We did this in the Channel Islands with every flight - it really paid off when a helo had to set down on the ocean one fine day, but only for about an hour. This was before the PLB era. After reading Ritter's post carefully, I think he may be suggesting that get a PLB.

And yes, it sounds like you have an extremely fascinating job.

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin - 08/31/10 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor

I am curious, does your office or any one else track your flights? We did this in the Channel Islands with every flight - it really paid off when a helo had to set down on the ocean one fine day, but only for about an hour. This was before the PLB era. After reading Ritter's post carefully, I think he may be suggesting that get a PLB.

We have specific procedures in place whenever an aircraft is dispatched, which includes the pilot/instructor creating a manifest of who is on board, where you are going, when you will return, etc. We also fill out a dispatch board with the same info, and a few more specific bits of info. If we are going past 25 miles from the airport, we file a VFR flight plan and update the info with FSS if we make any changes.

We have a fair amount of aircraft in the air all day long, and we all work together. We report our positions to each other quite often, not only for traffic avoidance, but also if there was a problem, it would narrow the search grid a fair amount.

Our company is looking into other methods of tracking flights, we tested some satellite tracking system, we have some ELT's installed in some aircraft. But all of that is in the test phase at this point.

Originally Posted By: hikermor

And yes, it sounds like you have an extremely fascinating job.

I could definitely have a worse job. wink
Posted by: frediver

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin - 08/31/10 05:34 PM

Just wondering how water fits into your overall weight limit,
at 2lbs per QT are you already including it as part of you normal
flight kit?
Considering your 3 lb limit I would leave out a hard water bottle
and pack the platy bag.
I would also opt for a HD foil cook pan.
Even an empty nalgene with a SS cook cup will weight together almost 10-11 oz.
yep 6.2 oz 4.9 oz , bottle & cup, thats to much of a weight penalty if you have only a 3 pound total limit.

BTW the RuckSak knife mentioned is well worth having.
Posted by: Johno

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin - 08/31/10 05:43 PM

A mosquito headnet to save you from being eaten alive, while you boil water for a brew waiting for SAR to pick you up after activating your brand new shiny PLB smile

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin - 09/03/10 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: frediver
Just wondering how water fits into your overall weight limit,
at 2lbs per QT are you already including it as part of you normal
flight kit?
Considering your 3 lb limit I would leave out a hard water bottle
and pack the platy bag.
I would also opt for a HD foil cook pan.
Even an empty nalgene with a SS cook cup will weight together almost 10-11 oz.
yep 6.2 oz 4.9 oz , bottle & cup, thats to much of a weight penalty if you have only a 3 pound total limit.

BTW the RuckSak knife mentioned is well worth having.

Since I usually carry a liter or so of water, calculated into my flight weight, I am good with carrying that amount + up to 3# additionally, although, keeping it lighter is better.
Posted by: xbanker

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missin - 09/03/10 01:18 AM

I am good with carrying that amount + up to 3# additionally, although, keeping it lighter is better.

Suppose there'd be repercussions if you made student-pilot weight restrictions 3 lbs more stringent. Ergo, kit capacity just increased 100%! smirk
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 09/03/10 10:49 AM

Background info: I am a helicopter flight instructor in the pacific northwest. I spend a fair amount of my day over the coastal mountain range instructing pilots in the finer art of flying and landing aircraft away from airports and runways.

Needless to say, there is a bit of risk associated with my current job, and a survival kit is virtually indispensable.

Here is the trick though: Flying small, piston engined helicopters, I am severely weight limited, and storage space is also extremely limited. I need to keep any kit as light weight and compact as possible.

Here's what I have so far (starting from top left):
First row:
2 - 1 gal. storage bags;1- waterproof match case with strike anywhere matches, a fishing hook and sewing thread; 1-Gerber Gator folding knife; 550 paracord;

Second row:
1- First Aid Kit containing various bandages, pads, surgical tape, antiseptics, alcohol pads, guaze, razor blade, shears, moleskin, and other various FAK contents. Also a Bic lighter thrown in as well; 2 film canisters, the first containing steel wool and fire cube, the second containing water purification tabs; emergency blanket; compass (wrapped in duck tape). Everything is contained in double wrapped vacuum sealed plastic bags.

Additional gear that always goes with me: Nomex flight suit, Helmet, folding CRKT knife, couple of plastic bottles of water, VFR sectional chart (fancy aviation term for a map wink ), gloves, and a cell phone.

What I feel I am missing: I think I need to have a means of boiling water, so I am going to get a stainless water bottle. I also think I should have some snacks thrown in as well.

Anything else I am missing? Any changes anyone would suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Bin the wire wool and battery. It's a party trick. If you want to put anything in there make it cotton wool and petrolium jelly balls.
Also:

I would bin the Gerber in favour of either a One Handed Trekker or a decent multitool- and that means either a Leatherman Wave or a Victorinox Spirit - as that gives you both a blade and a saw. Critical kit for shelter building etc..

Other realistic point I would make is that in a Helicopter historically you will either land/ditch it successfully, or perish in the crash. So perhaps a kit in a bag might be a better choice.

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 09/03/10 03:25 PM

One Hand Trekker, Trekker, Rucksak . . . any of the large format Swiss Army Knives with a locking main blade and saw.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 09/03/10 06:58 PM

Handheld avation radio to backup the one in the bird and PLB? Small Military type strobe?
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 09/03/10 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I would bin the Gerber in favour of either a One Handed Trekker or a decent multitool- and that means either a Leatherman Wave or a Victorinox Spirit - as that gives you both a blade and a saw. Critical kit for shelter building etc..

Agreed! Not to keen on Aircraft But Vehicles of all sorts can provide a lot in a situation and With a multitool taking one apart can be much easier. I personally never go out without my leatherman kick grin
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 09/03/10 11:07 PM

I would be highly motivated to have some water on hand.

Slip three or four half-liter bottles of water into my flight jacket. Bare minimum would be two.

Yes, that is two pounds but you get two small canteens, hard to carry or chemically treat water if you don't have containers, and the disposable plastic bottles are both free and much better than plastic bags.

Using a filter straw doesn't mean you don't need to carry water. In a survival situation having to start by worrying about water because you have none is a terrible way to start. A liter, ideally two, of water on-hand and ready to go gives you something to work with and something to tide you over during the first difficult hours when you are rattled by the situation and getting your footing.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 09/17/10 02:31 PM

Let's make some assumptions - You're preparing to go down in a wooded/remote area; and your flying a helicopter.

From this I'm assuming that
1) its a fairly hard landing and
2) someone will come looking pretty soon. ( <24 hours)

I'd carry:
1. a plb
2. jacket
3. first aid kit
4. basic survival kit

TRO

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 09/17/10 04:54 PM

My next kit will look like Doug Ritter Essentials Overwater Aviator Survival Vest ™. Probably not necessary for the OP. I have all the gear in the vest including the PLB and Laser Flare, just need the vest at this point. Yes, I require flotation in a vest.

I know the OP's point in asking the question, but any off-field landing in rotary wing has the potential to go wrong. Having all your essential gear on your person is essential IMO.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 09/17/10 08:41 PM

Perhaps a fly fishing vest with added reflective tape?
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? - 09/20/10 12:31 AM

Thanks everyone.
...Other big concern, unfortunately, is weight and storage space. The aircraft I fly have very small useful loads, and taking extra equipment often means taking less fuel, which is not always a great trade off. I figure I can spare about 3#. The entire kit needs to fit within a pocket in my flight bag.

We have specific procedures in place whenever an aircraft is dispatched, which includes the pilot/instructor creating a manifest of who is on board, where you are going, when you will return, etc. We also fill out a dispatch board with the same info, and a few more specific bits of info. If we are going past 25 miles from the airport, we file a VFR flight plan and update the info with FSS if we make any changes.

We have a fair amount of aircraft in the air all day long, and we all work together. We report our positions to each other quite often, not only for traffic avoidance, but also if there was a problem, it would narrow the search grid a fair amount.

Our company is looking into other methods of tracking flights, we tested some satellite tracking system, we have some ELT's installed in some aircraft. But all of that is in the test phase at this point.

I was wondering if you already had an ELT on board. The crews I've been around (central CA Sierras) have always had a kit on board for an unplanned stay in the woods. They had a small stove, a little food, sleeping bags and other useful woodsgear.

It sounds like any probability of area for you will be pretty high, so for a 3# kit in your flight suit, I would focus on small custom medical (4 aspirin, 4 benadryl, tourniquet, small dressing), personal security (method to make a spear, which could be a small blade and a small saw, such as: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?pf_id=07.100&s=JapanWoodworker or a SAK,), shelter (2 space blankets or bag), water (plastic bag and 6 tabs or survival straw, such as here: http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/WaterPurificationProducts.htm#Aquamira Frontier Pro ), reference material (the "Pocket Survival Pak instructions" sheet on this site is very good: http://www.equipped.org/psp/psp_survival_instructions_0206.pdf ), fire (lighter, matches, mag/ferro rod, PSC tinder), tools (small wire or artificial sinew spool, needle and kevlar thread), signal (mirror, whistle), button compass and food (millenium bars). Priorities would adjust according to the seasons and other variables.
If you have anywhere to store a down sleeping bag(s) on board, I would try to keep it as part of your regular kit. 3# isn't a lot of leeway.