Spark Lite - I don't get it.

Posted by: TomSwango

Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/07/02 03:24 AM

Just received my spark lites today and I really don't get it. It seems to me that with space at a premium there is nothing more compact or reliable than a flint. If I am worried about tinder then the magnesium bar with the fint on the side seems to be the best answer. In fact what I did was cut one of the bars in half, they are about 2+/- inches long and I now have a bar that is about one inch long and seems to be the best, most compact, and fool proof fire starter.<br><br>Please tell me what I am missing?<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/07/02 04:06 AM

Tom, Firemaking is so critical a redundancy in resources is a given. On the one hand a quality metal match is the most foolproof, long lived and durable of methods. On the other, a handfull of quality matches are finite, subject to degradation yet universally known and familiar to almost everyone. The magnesium bars will make a fire with a flint true. Truth is many people carry these without never actually practising with one. I was informed by a former commissioned officer his trusty mag bar could outperform my sparklite AND be used to sharpen knives. A few minutes later I had a fire going. My detractor was busy scraping the white oxidation off with his trusty ( and dull) K-bar. This is an extreme example. People can and do make fires with mag bars. The Sparklite is a very simple and reliable system. Both systems have roots in military use. In fact, "Oak" of Sparklite is a two tour vietnam vet . The system is a small,light unit with pretty foolproof ignition and tinder. The small tinder supply is actually deceiving. I have successfully started fires with as little as 1/4 of a tinder tab. So, for me, the Sparklite is a simple,reliable system for emergencies. For long term adventures I have a metal match- and matches, lighters, fatwood sticks, vaseline soaked cottonballs, magnifying glass to name a few options.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/07/02 04:38 AM

It's a matter of redundancy with me as well. I've been busy scraping magnesium and placing it into a film canister. That way I don't have to mess with doing it in the field. I also carry a spark-lite with extra tender, strike anywhere matches, PitchWitch, trioxane, storm matches, flint, burning glass and a couple of disposable lighters.
Posted by: aardwolfe

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/07/02 05:10 AM

I don't own a Sparklite myself but I understand one of the advantages is that you can use it one-handed. If you're injured (broken arm, dislocated collarbone*) as well as lost that is no small consideration.<br><br>(*Don't laugh, James Bond suffered a "dislocated collarbone" in "The World is Not Enough" ;-)

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/07/02 05:19 AM

Thank you. Now I "get it". That makes perfect sense. <br><br>While I carry ever fire-making tool known to man in one of my pockets or the other, I was trying to see what would be best for my small PSK if I could only have one. <br><br>But even in my small PSK I have flint, tinder, matches, bic, and now a spark lite.<br><br>As always your advice and wisdom is appreciated.<br>

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/07/02 05:21 AM

Ah !! -- You're right. I forgot about that. You can use the spark lite with one hand.<br><br>Thanks

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/07/02 01:11 PM

Why not scrape some magnesium shavings into vaseline-soaked cotton balls for tinder? <br>Seems like it might add some oomph to ignition if you're going to carry the cotton balls anyway..

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/07/02 02:43 PM

Actually I don't carry the cotton/vaseline tenders with me. You might be right though. Anyone added magnesium to the home made tender to see if it adds anything to combustion?
Posted by: rodmeister

Fresnel lens - 11/07/02 08:47 PM

I like redundancy too. Murphy is always lurking somewhere. I always have a 2"x3" plastic fresnel lens in my wallet. Just the other day, in late afternoon light, I was able to light a wad of paper in a couple minutes.
Posted by: aardwolfe

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/08/02 01:41 AM

I scraped some into a paper napkin, which I then rolled up into a cylinder and ignited with a magnifying glass. The paper smoldered away for about a half-hour, then suddenly burst into flame in my hand. I don't know if the magnesium scrapings had anything to do with that or not.<br><br>I doubt it would add anything to cotton balls, vaseline soaked or not. As I understand it, the advantage to the magnesium is that it burns very fiercely and very hot, but very briefly; therefore, the primary purpose is to get it to ignite something that ordinarily wouldn't readily ignite - e.g. a piece of newspaper can't normally be set on fire with only a spark.

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/08/02 04:48 AM

Please tell me how do you cut the magesium bar in half. I have the 2 in bar but not sure if its safe to saw it with a hacksaw.

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/08/02 12:00 PM

Just cut with a Dremel tool but I would think a hack saw or anything similar would work. There was no problem EXCEPT when I got to the flint. Then I had sparks. But they will not ignite the bar. I have cut 3 bars in half and no problem other than the sparks when I hit the flint.<br>
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/09/02 11:43 AM

Actually the vaseline coat on the shavings makes it harder to ignite the shavings. The boost in the ignition won´t help to much as the cotton is pretty easy to ignite and it keeps the hot flame away from the material that is hard to ignite plus the distribution of the shavings takes away most of the intensity of the flame.
Posted by: rodmeister

Re: Spark Lite - I don't get it. - 11/09/02 09:05 PM

I cut my cylindrical magnesium bar in two. I was cautious with a hacksaw, cutting slowly. The bar can't burn under normal conditions, but the dust can. I cut on a breezy day, which blew the dust away from me, and had no problems. Just keep the dust dispersed and you should be okay, but be ready to jump back instantly.