Firesteel sheath necklace

Posted by: kevingg

Firesteel sheath necklace - 08/09/10 07:31 PM

This is a new take on the belt/zipper pull firesteel sheath I've been making for a while. The loop is made 14" instead of 3". I've thought of this before but never actually made one until someone requested it specifically.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Firesteel sheath necklace - 08/10/10 04:30 AM

I like it! Is it pretty easy to get at the firesteel?
Posted by: haertig

Re: Firesteel sheath necklace - 08/10/10 05:08 AM

Looks nice! I would tie some type of break-away mechanism at the back of the neck (if you haven't already). Maybe cut the loop, overlap the new ends 1/4", and tie a constrictor knot out of lightweight sewing thread to hold the ends together again. Without a break-away, paracord could be a death sentence by strangulation if it catches on something.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Firesteel sheath necklace - 08/10/10 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Looks nice! I would tie some type of break-away mechanism at the back of the neck (if you haven't already). Maybe cut the loop, overlap the new ends 1/4", and tie a constrictor knot out of lightweight sewing thread to hold the ends together again. Without a break-away, paracord could be a death sentence by strangulation if it catches on something.

Yeah, that was also my first thought. To be honest, I keep a housekey and a mini LED light on a peice of paracord, and I wear it around my neck every night when I go out for my 3 mile walk. But it's an urban area where it's nearly impossible to dream up a scenario where I could get it caught on something. I'd be a bit leery of taking that rig out into the woods. My firesteel is on a similar rig, and I've been thinking of adding a break-away element somewhere in there.

But that's not to detract from Kevin's fine work. He's really a genius with working paracord.
Posted by: kevingg

Re: Firesteel sheath necklace - 08/13/10 02:50 AM

thanks for kind comments. the firesteel comes out easy enought to pull by hand; but won't come out of you tip upside down and shake it (no matter how hard). there is a little loop acting like a cap too. you can take the "cap" off, then push from the bottom to get an inch exposed, then pull. I leave 1.5" inside and just use as a handle, striking the rest. as for the quick release, I've certainly heard it before and appreciate the comment. I'm just not worried about it. I'm more likely to die in lots of ways in the bush than hanging myself.