Maya Dust?

Posted by: mick

Maya Dust? - 10/30/02 09:45 PM

I got penrith survival equipment's new catalogue today.<br>The product was called maya dust that's used for firelighting.<br>Has anybody used this stuff and if so what's it like as a waterproof tinder.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Maya Dust? - 10/31/02 12:17 AM

I ordered a firesteel from Bagheera and he sent along a chunk of Maya Wood. It is a highly resinous wood (80-85% according to Bagheera). It smells clove-like and looks sort of like dense pine fatwood.<br><br>I have shaved off fine slivers with fine dust and been able to ignite them with the firesteel. It burns great. I have not completed my testing of the use of this wood, but it looks very promising. I am carrying the Maya wood chunk along with the firesteel and plan on shaving/scraping fresh slivers to use as tinder.<br><br>It looks like the chunk of wood would be very water resistant. Fine dust maybe also, but I have not tried that. I think a chunk of Maya wood would work out better than fine dust, but Bagheera and his Scouts probably have loads of experience.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Maya Dust? - 10/31/02 07:53 AM

I was able to try out a small piece of Maya wood also. My impression was of a very high quality version of fatwood. Another product on the market are combination sawdust and pumice stone "firerocks". I have not tried these. They are available @ majorSurplusNsurvival.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Maya Dust? - 10/31/02 02:14 PM

whats Bagheera's website url ? or other thing you order from ? ( i can't order from international site because i dont have acced to a creditcard )
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Maya Dust? - 10/31/02 06:16 PM

You can contact Bagheera at:<br><br>phenskens@hotmail.com<br><br>or send him a private message from this forum.<br><br>I highly recommend him for Swedish Firesteels.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Maya Dust? - 11/03/02 08:26 PM

mick, I'm back from my trip to the lake district, and while traveling around I stopped in at the town 'Penrith'. I looked around and found just one small camping shop not selling any penrith survival products, slightly disapointing.<br>nevermind wink
Posted by: mick

penrith - 11/04/02 03:37 PM

Penrith's new adress is :<br>penrith survival equipment<br><br>Sandale<br>coupland beck<br>appleby<br>cumbria<br>ca16 6ln<br><br>there telephone number is<br>017683 51666<br><br>Hope this helps