Check out this jacket -tent!

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Check out this jacket -tent! - 05/30/10 03:24 AM

http://www.thedesignblog.org/entry/jakpa...g-bag-and-tent/

and a tip of the hat to the guy at Classic Camp Stoves who brought this to my attention.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Check out this jacket -tent! - 05/30/10 03:39 AM

That's a Neat Concept!In a few yrs. The R.O.C. will have copied it,& make it more affordable.That site has alot of Cool Stuff,such as The white Goat.Thanx for the Post!
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Check out this jacket -tent! - 05/30/10 04:57 AM

I'm avaiting for hands-on real-life reviews, but I can guarantee you that this tent-jacket thingy will be clammy and damp. Not exactly the comfort level you're looking for when hiking or camping. But for survial / the unexpected night out, a waterproof cocoon has a lot of merits.

Personally, I think I'll stick to a bivy bag in my pack. And my "breathable" anorack and trousers.

I think this contraption can have some merits in the summer, or spring/fall in a more forgiving climate.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Check out this jacket -tent! - 05/30/10 12:50 PM

This was a very interesting and thought-provoking item. My niece works for the DNR in the backwoods, and she is slim enough to fit into it. With some modifications I think that as a piece of emergency gear something like this would be a way to keep off the mist, flies and mosquitoes should she get lost in the woods overnight. She would certainly want to take care of her evening 'senate vote' before she zipped up into that thing for the night though.
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Check out this jacket -tent! - 05/30/10 02:47 PM

Compare: Hilleberg Bivanorak
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Check out this jacket -tent! - 05/30/10 03:17 PM

just to show that there is nothing new under the sun here's a jacket-tent from a 1980's newspaper from Scotland!

Posted by: hikermor

Re: Check out this jacket -tent! - 05/30/10 06:32 PM

One would be just as well off with light bivy items carried in the pockets of a jacket appropriate for prevailing conditions, and for a whole lot less money.

The Hilleberg item reminds me of what we used to call cagoules (or at lest the French called them by that term). They are a pretty handy garment, especially when supplemented with a few other things (garbage bags, space blankets).
Posted by: Warehouser

Re: Check out this jacket -tent! - 05/30/10 06:59 PM

The Hilleberg jacket is almost identical to a German military "sniper" outfit. The German jacket has the tube-like bottom suspended from inside the back of the jacket and seals with 2 zippers, if memory serves( one down the front and one at the waist.)
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Check out this jacket -tent! - 05/30/10 08:21 PM

For around $250 the JakPak costs I would simply get a high performance Goretex Jacket, a high performance Goretex Bivi Bag and a high performance Lightweight tarp or basha.

Total weight would be around 2.2 Kg for the 3 items and costs around $285, which compares quite favorably with the JakPak at 1.4Kg and $250 considering the much greater flexibility and all round comfort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ar3nmEn7vM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0tHVjbqQKs&NR=1

The basha and bivi would fit quite nicely into the rear game pocket of the jacket