EcoRoamer - survival car again.

Posted by: Alex

EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/13/10 12:31 AM

I like this guy's approach.
Posted by: scafool

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/13/10 01:14 AM

6.5-mpg efficiency

OK I guess for a transport truck, but I think I would want something a bit easier on fuel.
Posted by: HerbG

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/13/10 12:57 PM

I seem to remember some guy back in the late 50's who made a similar trip in a surplus WW2 DUCK or DUKW 2 1/2 ton, 6x6 Amphibious Cargo Truck. I think his story ran in Saturday Evening Post.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/13/10 04:53 PM

I like it except for the fuel efficiency. There is a lot that could be done in that department if they lightened the load a bit.

Either way, the trip they're going to undertake sounds like an amazing journey. I hope they have a great time.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/14/10 02:40 PM

I like the idea, actualy I lied,, I LOVE, ADORE the idea! the ability to go where you want with your house,, AMAZING!!!

With that said, I think there are potential to enhance both the fule effecency and the trucks ability off road. I watched the video and it's side to side sway was concerning over seeminly small bumps. This truck could go "trurtle" over resonable bumps.

The concept from this truck isn't new, ther is DRACO a go-anywhere RV that was custom built by a metal worker for his photographer wife who was in a wheelchair.

There seemed to be a LOT of though put into the truck like ensuring that they used engines and equipment that you could find anywhere in the world.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/wheellife/archive.asp?postID=69
Posted by: Eugene

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/14/10 03:39 PM

I paid $600 for an old popup truck camper and put it in the back of my 1/2ton truck. A whole lot cheaper and can still hit 20mpg.
Posted by: LED

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/14/10 09:24 PM

Looks likethis guy has a similiar idea. Only far less extravagant.
Posted by: Alex

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/15/10 05:27 PM

LED. That's really fantastic web site. Thanks!
Posted by: Susan

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/16/10 03:28 AM

The "Eco" part of it certainly isn't the MPG (esp diesel), but Burt Gummer would certainly like it.

Sue
Posted by: Eugene

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/16/10 10:20 AM

There is more to eco than mpg, don't beleive everything car commercials tell you. If he runs it on biodiesel most of the time then its more eco than a 40mpg small car using gasoline. I looked at the big picture with my truck, my 20mpg is hald what a small car would get but I'll keep that same truck for 20-30 years where I'd have to replace that small car in 10 or rebuild half of it so its using less resources overall in less maintenance and replacement.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/17/10 03:36 AM

Sorry, I 'd pass

IMHO, this is what I would choose

Or maybe something like this

With a good tent and sleeping bag, and lots of stuff in the trailer, I am good to go.
Posted by: duckear

Re: EcoRoamer - survival car again. - 04/20/10 01:27 PM

6.5 mpg for an all terrain motorhome that can support four people off the grid in third world settings is actually pretty dang amazing.

His goal is not a 20 mile southern California daily commute, but taking his family from one tip of the continent to the far end of another.