Birthday Decision - Please help!

Posted by: Hghvlocity

Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 03:55 PM

Greetings from Oklahoma -

Not a regular poster on the site, but this occasion has brought me out.

My Birthday is this week, and I have $100. I need a knife. I know there is no "perfect" choice here, but I would be curious to know what others would purchase were they in my shoes.

I hunt, camp, fish, hike. I'm not locked in to any brand, or style, but Becker's and Benchmades seem to be good. This knife would serve multiple purposes. Can you have a pocket folder that you can use to baton with?

Just curious what others would purchase as a survival, all around knife selection in the $100 range.

I await the outpouring of knowledge. I know we have seen this question many times, but I trust folks here and really don't want to venture into other websites.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 04:38 PM

I really like my Benchmade Model 550HG Griptilian - designed by Mel Pardue non-serrated.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 04:40 PM

Yes, I have wanted one for a long time, and I was just about to pull the trigger when I thought I would get some other opinions.

Have you ever batoned with it? Just curious if it would hold up if necessary.

Thanks for the response.
Posted by: TomSwango

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 06:03 PM

For a fixed blade I would suggest the spyderco bushcraft 2nd for $90.00 including shipping.

For a fixed blade benchmade griptilian in D2

Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 07:08 PM

If you're good at finding discount, the Fällkniven F1 can sometimes be found in vicinity of $100. Such as here:
http://www.oregonknifeshop.com/fallkniven-f1-knife.html
Usually retails about $150 or so.

I'm drooling over one of these, but right now our budget has very limited room for new shiny gear.

It is issued as standard survival knife for Swedish pilots. More about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A4llkniven
Posted by: sybert777

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 07:37 PM

Happy Early Birthday! Mine was yesterday! I got $65 and bought a SOG Power Lock. I wrote a review on it and I like it but according to IZZY its assembled in america of mexican made parts! I will return it if I have any problems!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 08:14 PM

I'd say grap a decent Mora knife as a fixed blade - can be had around $10 for the cheaper model, and up to $40 for the pricier models, depending where you shop and such (Ragweed forge is popular, but also Sportsmans Guide have them). With the left over, get a decent folder. SAK, Benchmade, Spyderco and Kershaw all make decent folders in the $50ish range.

If you can find an online store that sells both, you might save the seperate shipping.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 11:25 PM

I wouldn't worry about batoning. It is just a way applying excessive force to a tool. The vast majority of, if not all, practical tasks required for survival can be done without pounding on an knife.

A person can easily skin and butcher any animal with a tiny blade. Which is why scalpel and razor blades have utility and usefully make their way into survial kits.

Our ancestors often used stone blades that were seldom more than the size of a thumbnail to butcher animals much larger than anything your likely to encounter. Larger stone blades cleaved fine to cut smoothly tend to break. Modern game guides, who end up doing the skinning and butchering while "great hunter", the guy who wears the funny hat and pays, drinks beer and shoots the breeze, are seldom seen to use anything with a blade more than three or four inches long. If they use a longer blade they 'choke-up' on it to gain leverage and control.

It is possible to use something as unwieldy as a yard-long machete to do fine work by choking up on the blade but then the weight of the handle is working against you. Machete users will do fine work by resting the weight of the handle on their lap as they work with the fine tip of the blade.

Batoning is largely an exercise in impatience and a way for guys who favor big knifes, what they are compensating for is anyone's guess, to justify carrying the extra weight and bulk of an over-sized knife. I think it gets overlooked that Crocodile Dundee and Rambo were caricatures and their over-sized knives were part of the joke. It looks all woodsy and manly to be whacking a great wedge of steel through stuff with a club, and it makes a great video and advertising, but the actual utility is quite limited.

The attitude seems to be: 'Look at me. I'm splitting shingles'. Which is fine if you need shingles but most of these guys have no way to cut the log to split and no survival use for the shingles and split wood manufactured. If they do they are not in a survival situation; they are homesteading. If you want to homestead bring a saw and pack an axe and/or a froe. All very useful in that context.

Point here is that smaller is functional for most real-life and survival uses. You say you "hunt, camp, fish, hike", which is good but the question is how often do you spend doing those things. Most of us don't spend much time out in the woods no matter how much we want to spend more. Nothing wrong with getting a knife that only gets carried when your out hiking. Some knives, like the fillet knife in the fishing kit, only get used once in a great while.

The question is what role do you want this knife to fill. If your planning on carrying it every, or most, days a mid-size folder with about a 3" blade is going to hang on your belt or ride in a pocket more comfortably and attract less unwanted attention. DR/ETS sells a couple of very nice folders that fit the bill. I really like the RSK Mk1 and if I didn't EDC a multitool it would be high on the list.

If your more a handyman, and don't feel limited by a slim 3" blade, there are many multitools that work well. I like the Leatherman Wave (about $75) and carry one daily.

If your willing to only carry it in or near the woods larger folders and fixed blade knives are better tolerated in that context. The RSK Mk3 is nice and I like its simplicity:
http://www.equipped.org/rsk_mk3.htm

Becker makes a line of bloody huge knives but the smaller end of their line with a 4" blade, used to be called a 'crewman', also gets a nod for reasonably prices fixed blade knifes straight up.

If you want to make a statement and gain bragging rights the sky it the limit.

Hint: Anyone shopping for a knife, or anyone who might be anytime soon, or anyone who is interested in knives generally, could do worse than starting by reading this:
http://www.equipped.org/devices4.htm

A lot of good information though out and well presented. I don't necessarily agree with every point but the basics are good and pretty much all the available options are covered.

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 11:48 PM

Helle Odel or

The Fallkniven Mod F1 is also recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVzMYHrPeA

Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/16/10 11:59 PM

Batoning, IMO, will break any folder, and most fixed blade knives eventually. It's a technique that has to be done correctly and should be only be used in a survival situation with smaller diameter wood. Without reservation, I recommend the Leatherman Wave or the Supertool 200 for the purposes you listed (except batoning). I carry one at all times when I'm not working, and I find a use for it every day. Take a look at this before deciding........ http://www.barkriverknives.com/docs/batoning.pdf
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/17/10 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Helle Odel or

The Fallkniven Mod F1 is also recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVzMYHrPeA

That Helle is a sweet looking knife and performed well in the video. Hmmm...

Posted by: TheSock

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/17/10 08:59 AM

For just $18 more than $100 you can get the Ritter folder. See this sites home page.
The Sock
Posted by: GauchoViejo

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/17/10 02:21 PM

My opinion regarding large knives is quite different from yours. You forget that knives are also used as weapons, and in countries were guns are allowed only for hunting or target shooting, a large knife is something you depend upon for defense against two-legged or four-legged critters. Probably you don't have to face it in the USA but down here, running into cimarron dogs or pumas or, God forbid it, boars, is a distinct possibility. I agree with you that large knives are unwieldy and heavy, but sometimes that weight can be mighty reassuring!
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/17/10 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TheSock
For just $18 more than $100 you can get the Ritter folder. See this sites home page.
The Sock

Yah, if you can stretch just a bit the full size RSK is $118: Doug Ritter RSK.

While it is basically a Benchmade Griptilian, it has dual studs and is flat ground.

Good improvements on an already outstanding knife IMO.

I have one in the limited edition M2 steel, and it hasn't left my pocket since.

-john

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: GauchoViejo
My opinion regarding large knives is quite different from yours. You forget that knives are also used as weapons, and in countries were guns are allowed only for hunting or target shooting, a large knife is something you depend upon for defense against two-legged or four-legged critters. Probably you don't have to face it in the USA but down here, running into cimarron dogs or pumas or, God forbid it, boars, is a distinct possibility. I agree with you that large knives are unwieldy and heavy, but sometimes that weight can be mighty reassuring!

Different strokes for different folks but IMHO a knife wouldn't be my first choice for any of that. A 3" to 4" blade works fine on humans. Poking holes, even just random stabbing, tends to back off any but the most motivated attacker. For wild animals, four legged or two, I lean more toward a good stick. Five foot of stout hardwood helps maintain a safe distance as we negotiate the relationship.

Given that you need to be close to use it as a weapon I wouldn't think a knife, even a large knife, would be the best option. But then again if it is all you have go with what you got.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 01:38 AM

We do a lot of boar hunting with Cattahaula dogs, and we have tried many knives and spears. In our experience, spears are not very good. Once the dogs grab the boar you go in from 4 o'clock and stab behind the shoulder. Our favorite knife has a 9 inch blade 1/4" thick with a clip point and razor sharp. Handguard is a must 'cause blood makes the handle slippery and you could cut your fingers.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 01:44 AM

I lean more toward a good stick. Five foot of stout hardwood helps maintain a safe distance as we negotiate the relationship.

[/quote]

Sticks are nowhere to be find in the pampas, it's just grassland, so if you want a stick you have to bring it with you. In the northern provinces where you have subtropical bush, you always carry a machete, and a smaller knife, 4 or 5 inch.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 01:51 AM

I recommend a Leatherman Wave or similar - very versatile and useful. I wouldn't baton with one, but then I wouldn't baton with anything, and I have never felt the need to, ever.
Posted by: Mac

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 01:59 AM

I would recommend a Gerber LMF II if you want a good batoning knife. I used mine in an emergency to cut thru a cable using a wrench to whack the back of the blade with. I quick touch up and the edge was fine(the coating was scratched off) but thats no big deal.

I got mine in Canada for less than 100 bucks, I'm sure you can find it down south for even less being that it's made in the U.S

For folders check out the Dozer made by K-bar(I think)

If you are hell bent on battoning with a knife, any folder isn't really a good idea. Maybe only for very, very light stuff and then it better have a really solid lock mech. I found out the hard way. blush

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

Batoning is largely an exercise in impatience and a way for guys who favor big knifes, what they are compensating for is anyone's guess, to justify carrying the extra weight and bulk of an over-sized knife. I think it gets overlooked that Crocodile Dundee and Rambo were caricatures and their over-sized knives were part of the joke. It looks all woodsy and manly to be whacking a great wedge of steel through stuff with a club, and it makes a great video and advertising, but the actual utility is quite limited.

What the hell is everyone's beef on this forum with large knives anyway?

A lot of times I have a kukri strapped to my pack because its lighter than an axe for when I need to do some light chopping. To my belief, I wasen't trying to compensate for anything, I simply match the tool to the job. Sometimes a job calls for a bigger blade. will bet my last dollar I can make that knife do things that most of you wouldn't consider doing with an axe or a saw(or both)

A large blade can do everything a small blade can, but not the other way around.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: GauchoViejo

I'm with you....When I am hunting alone in the northern forests, I carry more than one knife. There are wolves, bears, coyotes, and pumas here. None of these animals has ever bothered me, but you never know. In fact, the only animals that have ever attacked me besides dogs were: a chipmunk, a skunk, and a muskrat. I fully realize that if I have to fight a puma or a wolf with a 10 inch knife, I'm going to be a hurtin' unit. My position is that a 10 inch knife is a far superior weapon than my bare hands against a puma, and I will at least have a fighting chance to kill it or drive it off. I always carry a hardwood hiking stick when walking, but when hunting, I don't. I also carry pepper spray, a Leatherman Supertool on my belt, and a tiny Victorinox Classic in my pocket for other knife work.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 06:00 PM

Pumas, Mountain Lions, Tigers, and the like are sneaky animals by the time they are on you 99.99% of the time there is very little the person being attacked can do to defend oneself. Picture your body flopping around... grabbing a knife, unhooking the sheath and using it is probably way out of the question. Reports on such attacks all pretty much say the person attacked had no idea what happened.

I'm def. not against a large knife. One of my favorites is a RAT-7, and for clearing the RTAK. However, 99% of the time I don't have either with me... so a quality folder is a must smile
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 06:19 PM

Knife size is also very dependent on your environment. For example where I live, you really need to stay at or below 3.5" blade, and in some cities fixed blades are not allowed unless you are directly involved in an activity requiring it.

In my case, it just isn't practical to carry a larger blade.

-john

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Mac

I think that is a knee jerk reaction to the unconditional hype of big knives that you see a lot on _*other*_ outdoor survival web sites. Preferably hyping the newest and greatest tacticool looking sharpened prybar.

For me, it is all about choosing the proper tools for your conditions, skills and comfort level. Whatever works the best for a person is correct for that person.
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 07:16 PM

Spend $40 on any decent brand of knife, then spend the rest on your significant other. It will be well worth it.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 08:32 PM

This is how we carry our knives. You ought to see any of this guys draw their knives, they are fast indeed. The wide belt works like body armor in knife fights or if a puma jumps you (most of the damage is made by their rear claws which they try to drive into your belly). Pumas are not so sneaky, if you are riding, you horse will let you know something is amiss. If on foot you'll probably smell them.

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20090730/July30-Knife-AP.jpg.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/18/10 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

I think that is a knee jerk reaction to the unconditional hype of big knives that you see a lot on _*other*_ outdoor survival web sites. Preferably hyping the newest and greatest tacticool looking sharpened prybar.

I come at this question from a backpacking and climbing perspective. Bulk and size matter. You want the most compact tool that will get the job done since you will be lugging it around.

I have found that anything under four inches in blade length will do any necessary task just fine. I have never thought - "If only I had a bigger knife." There have been times I wished for a saw, but even those were rare.

I suspect there is a Freudian explanation for the fascination with big knives.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 12:25 AM

Quote:
A large blade can do everything a small blade can, but not the other way around.

The blade on a P-38 is very very small but is much more efficient that trying to use a Marine Raider Bowie knife when trying to open a tin of Tuna.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

The blade on a P-38 is very very small but is much more efficient that trying to use a Marine Raider Bowie knife when trying to open a tin of Tuna.

I could still use the Raider bowie to open the can. Aquard, yes but still possible.

Now, try chopping firewood with your p-38 wink

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 01:03 AM

I know that evidently many people use a knife to gather firewood and it really puzzles me. I use dead wood for fires, not green items which could require a tool. Simply gather the dead stuff and break to size, using your boot or a suitable rock (call it Neanderthal batoning). If you want to burn a large log, a fairly rare occurrence in my experience, simply feed an end into the fire and keep pushing it in as it burns.

The only situations where there was a dearth of dead wood was in heavily used campgrounds and in those situations gathering of live wood was prohibited.

I have frequently had to keep a fire going all night and I just haven't had a problem gathering all the dead wood I required - no knives required.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 01:27 AM

[/quote]

II have found that anything under four inches in blade length will do any necessary task just fine. I have never thought - "If only I had a bigger knife." There have been times I wished for a saw, but even those were rare.

I suspect there is a Freudian explanation for the fascination with big knives. [/quote]

My wife likes big knives and she says my knife is just the right size, and it fits the sheath perfectly.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 01:53 AM

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 02:56 AM

From my observation of others and personal experience I've found the bulkier and heavier the knife the less likely you are to carry it and have it with you when you need it. Most of the large knives I have bought tend to stay in the drawer. Most of the guys I grew up with who bought Rambo sized knives humped them around for a few days, got tired of them, and then they were never seen again.

Sad to see a guy spend hundreds of dollars buying a dream in the form of a huge knife and to see it go unused because they got caught up in the symbolism of the item and overlooked the lack of utility.

Then again most North Americans will never be more than twenty miles as the crow flies from civilization. Even when hiking and climbing. Pretty hard to find a spot in the lower forty-eight that isn't twenty miles from a habitation of some sort.

Most of us in North America live near cities in a suburban environments. Even overlooking the annoying extra weight and bulk strapping on your 14" long orc sticker and walking around the mall is going to get you looks. At the very least people are going to think your a trifle odd.

It has to be noted, as hikermor did, that even in the woods most experienced hikers and campers eschew large knives if they don't have a specific use on that trip. You might see a machete on someone doing trail maintenance and the odd woodsy group feed my tote in a large chef fillet knife to prep the grub but generally if you see a large knife, particularly a large military style knife, it is a mark of inexperience.

North America has some dangerous wild animals. Cougars, several flavors of bears, alligators, wild hogs, even the normally docile buck can ruin your day.

I saw a couple of hunters run out of the woods by a buck. Everyone laughed and the buck got away. One of the guys spend most of the evening searching for the rifle he dropped. Hint: Either buy your firearms in colors you can see if you drop it, or don't drop it.

Given the number of potentially dangerous animals I have never met anyone who carried a knife seriously thinking they might fight them off. Fight off a grizzly bear with anything smaller than a Scottish claymore and I want to shake your hand. And other than what we saw Tarzan do in the movies I doubt any knife small enough to carry in one hand would help you much against an alligator.

Riding horses around the pampas sniffing out maneating pumas and wild hogs you carry what you please. Realistically if I found myself potentially dangerous area I would seriously consider taking my little knife and sharpening a pole. A spear is the traditional non-ranged weapon used by hunters of dangerous animals.

Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 03:19 AM

The blade on my Buck 119 model is 6" long which I feel is about the most useful maximum length for me.

I could go with a shorter knife blade which I did with the recent purchase of 2 Mora Clippers, however the Buck will probably continue to be my most used. Not because of the length, rather it fits my hand great and after 12 years of ownership, I am very comfortable using it.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 03:49 AM

I was just teasing Art.

I know what you mean now. We have enought mall ninjas up here as well. Don't always assume everyone fits into a certain category based on the ideas of the general population either. That guy who you assume is inexperienced may shock the hell out of you.

To clarify I don't carry it on me, it stays on my pack. I just find it funny that if I were to mention that I carry an axe in my pack everyone would think it was normal, but when I say I take a kukri machete instead of an axe I am apparently compensating for something. Same job, different tool. I just like the lighter weight and easier packability(is this a word?) of the flat Machete.

To each his own.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 03:53 AM

So, Hghvlocity

Make up your mind yet ?

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
The blade on my Buck 119 model is 6" long which I feel is about the most useful maximum length for me.

I could go with a shorter knife blade which I did with the recent purchase of 2 Mora Clippers, however the Buck will probably continue to be my most used. Not because of the length, rather it fits my hand great and after 12 years of ownership, I am very comfortable using it.

That is also my idea of a big knife. When I am in the woods, I carry a razor sharp Western W36 that I have had for years. I also have a Buck 119 that I alternate with. They are both the same size, and fit my large hands well. When I go into a backwoods roadhouse for lunch, or even into a small northern town for food or supplies while hunting, no one even glances at the knife on my belt. With these larger knives, I can gut a deer, cut a block of cheese for my sandwich, make a featherstick, clean my fingernails, trim small branches, remove a splinter, stick a wolf, dig a hole in the ground, or carve a replica of the Statue of Liberty from a pine log if I wanted to. I reserve my $650 micro-mini titanium coated mother of pearl handled damascus 1 3/4" slipjoint folder for trimming the crust off of my finger sandwiches while I type on survival forums.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 10:51 AM

Now wear that fashion accessory in certain neighborhoods in SoCal and you will get plenty of glances, although you are perfectly legal (barring some local ordinance). Go to more rural areas close by, and you are wearing just another tool on your belt.

I am a Buck fan, too - a Pathfinder (105) I have carried for a long time, although anything I do with it can be done with a smaller blade, like a CRKT Stiff Kiss - lighter but just not as pretty.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

What you're comfortable and experienced with is an extremely important factor.

For me, a blade around 4" is an extension of the hand. I work around the limitations of that blade (obviously no chopping!) by selecting the jobs that I need to do. The flip side of "the right tool for the job" is choosing "the right job for the tool". Around here, there's plenty of small diameter stuff to work with, both green wood and dead wood. In a survival scenario, I see no need to attack bigger diameter stuff - a 1" or 1.5" pole is long and strong enough for most shelter building, and dead firewood is usually around. And if I foresee a bigger job for a camping trip or whatever I will bring along the right tools for those jobs.

I learned the 4" lesson by making the wrong selection of a very appreciated gift from my beloved wife. She knows how picky I am. I was in doubt, but selected a 5" knife from Helle (Jegermester from this catalog, scroll down). The handle fits my hand like a glove, the blade is razor sharp (and I can keep it that way, easily!) ... but just an inch too long. I have used it for a couple of years, but it will never be the extension of my hand a 4" blade is (such as the mora 511). So why did I pick the 5" blade? Apart from not knowing better... a 5" blade works much better than a 4" for slicing bread! Probably the silliest reason EVER for selecting an outdoors knife. Sometimes it takes a misplaced buy to learn your lesson. If there is an easy way of shortening it without ruining the temper I would do it.

The big Leuku's have long traditions for the Sami people of this area. Traditionally, they would carry three knives: The big ones (7-10") for general purpose camp chopping, a smaller knife (3-4") for slaughter, skinning and delicate woodwork and a special tiny knife for marking the ears of their rain deer and other special detailed work. I have an 8" Stromeng (Ragnars Ragweed catalogue).

Frankly, I am still struggling to see the utility of this 8" leuku. It is somewhere between a light and short machete and a stout chopper, but too little of either to find much love in my book. And I have carried and used and abused it quite a bit, more out of stubbornness than anything else. I like the handle, I like the balance but the cutting and chopping performance just isn't that great - and clearly doesn't justify the bulk and the weight for me. There is probably some ancient secret that I am missing (lots of people LOVE this kind of knives, example), but it just doesn't cut it for me.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

Riding horses around the pampas sniffing out man-eating pumas and wild hogs you carry what you please. Realistically if I found myself potentially dangerous area I would seriously consider taking my little knife and sharpening a pole. A spear is the traditional non-ranged weapon used by hunters of dangerous animals.

Man-eating pumas, there ain't no such animal, as the farmer said when he saw the rhino. I have only heard of two attacks in my life and one of them was a two-year old child.
A spear is useless for boar hunting, we tried them and discarded them. When a boar is at bay by 4 or 5 dogs, let me tell you, that's not a static scene but a whirlwind. What works for us is to come in from the left side (if you are right handed) and a bit back from the head, then you grab an ear and plunge the knife. You only use a spear when hunting from horseback. "Pig-sticking" the Brits call it.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/19/10 11:28 PM

Portion edited by the sheriff

Boys and girls, you have got to be kidding me.

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/20/10 12:45 AM

Quote:

Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe Versus the Ontario Marine Raider Bowie Knife

or how to split wood with a Bahco Laplander Saw wink .

Posted by: Blast

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/20/10 01:58 AM

Portion edited by the sheriff

Boys and girls, you have got to be kidding me.

Nope, goodbye.

-Blast

Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! - 03/23/10 04:31 PM

Great response. I have the Leatherman Wave already, don't carry it daily, but will start adding it to my briefcase. Yep, I'm part of the Brooks Brothers crowd. I'm usually in the woods from Aug - February.

My only concern for batoning was to find the dry wood within the wet, not to homestead. I would love a nice axe/hatchet. But my general goal is to carry less.

I do have a US Air Force knife that I could carry in the event that it becomes necessary. Cheap and replaceable.

I love the Becker line and was leaning towards adding the crewman to my collection.

But one idea caught my I, so I decided I would just use the current Leatherman, took the wife out to dinner and rat hole the rest for a future purchase.

Thanks again everyone for your honest opinions.

Thanks.