We Get our Replacement for Recalled SPOT 2

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

We Get our Replacement for Recalled SPOT 2 - 03/01/10 07:10 PM

We Get our Replacement for Recalled SPOT 2

The replacement for my recalled SPOT 2 has arrived. When I unpacked the padded envelope I found a few surprises. Turns out they did more than just fix the battery life indicator. Get the details here.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=241
Posted by: hikermor

Re: We Get our Replacement for Recalled SPOT 2 - 03/01/10 09:01 PM

Thank you for your evaluation of the changes to the SPOT 2. Is it fair to say that this technology is kinda finicky?

Re: We Get our Replacement for Recalled SPOT 2 - 03/01/10 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Thank you for your evaluation of the changes to the SPOT 2. Is it fair to say that this technology is kinda finicky?

Not sure what you mean by "finicky?"
Posted by: hikermor

Re: We Get our Replacement for Recalled SPOT 2 - 03/01/10 10:13 PM

Not very robust, perhaps prone to problems, not rock solid dependable

Re: We Get our Replacement for Recalled SPOT 2 - 03/01/10 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Not very robust, perhaps prone to problems, not rock solid dependable

IMO, SPOT 2 is not a replacement for a PLB and I would not bet my life on one. For distress alerting I carry a PLB. OTOH, it is far better than nothing and SPOT has enough rescues to their credit for them to be a credible, if not optimum, alternative. SPOT can be a very useful tool and you could do worse for distress alerting if you use it with full knowledge of its quirks and drawbacks.
Posted by: comms

Re: We Get our Replacement for Recalled SPOT 2 - 04/05/10 11:09 PM

I've been slowly turning myself towards the SPOT 2 camp. I put myself out of cell phone range all the time, thanks to AT&T and my penchant for training in state parks and its important for DW to know I am OK.

SPOT 2 has a few features that do appeal to me. Like the Check-In, like Custom Messages, like Track Progress, like Help. I don't have a dedicated PLB but this item has enough rescues under it (and I have never needed a rescue)that I am willing to overlook the criticisms of the SOS function.

I understand that there was a recall. I understand that the original replacements came back with some fitting issues. I also have read from unhappy unit owners that the company has stopped stonewalling and is listening to their demands for better customer and technical service and sending kits to fix the fitting issue.

That being said, can someone who has used their SPOT 2, original or replacement, give me some feedback on it? Besides the replacement issue and turnaround, would you still buy it? Has it done what you expected it to do?
Posted by: celler

Re: We Get our Replacement for Recalled SPOT 2 - 07/31/10 04:27 PM

I was giving the SPOT 2 a second look and noticed that there is a new configuration using a DeLorme PN-60w to apparently generate one-way custom text messages to your contacts. I was intrigued by this, but disappointed at the same time. Why use two devices instead of one? Why tie the custom text messaging capability to DeLorme when other manufacturers (Garmin) have a much bigger market share. At any rate, I am well-invested in Garmin devices and not about to change horses at this point. Does anyone know if SPOT intends to explore custom text messaging with other manufacturers/devices?