Gearpods- anyone a fan?

Posted by: ironraven

Gearpods- anyone a fan? - 02/24/10 01:18 AM

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=460
http://www.gearpods.com/

I spotted these a while ago at Going Gear, but I haven't really heard much about them.

For those who haven't seen them or followed the links, imagine a nalgene-diameter polycarb tube, available in 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6" lengths, threaded at each end, with both single and double threaded end caps. They look interesting because I've got a LOT of water bottle carriers that they'll be able to ride in, but they are a bit pricey for my taste to just jump into.

They've also got a bunch of kits at their website. From "yawn" boo-boo first aid kits to a multi-tube kit the made of for parks rangers that actually looks like pretty good start. They mention the Ritter Mk5 by name a few times there but only as a suggest but not as a kit item. The kit components look like a mixed bag of good and indifferent.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: Gearpods- anyone a fan? - 02/24/10 02:16 AM

While I'm a fan of the clear organizers, those are kind of spendy. I use the clear locking lid food containers to organize small stuff as well as snacks, dog treats and coffee that I keep in the SUV. Right now the local Big Lots has 3 different shapes and sizes of the Faberware lock and lids for $2 each and a couple are bigger than a standard sandwich type box.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Gearpods- anyone a fan? - 02/24/10 03:06 AM

Lock my lock'n'locks, but I was looking at these for their specific shape. Never seen anything quite the same size other than PVC, and these are lighter and not a lot more expensive when you factor in the cost of buying your end caps retail.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Gearpods- anyone a fan? - 02/24/10 02:04 PM

I think they are a bit gimmicky. I have never been a fan of round containers. They tend to be less space efficient IMO.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Gearpods- anyone a fan? - 02/24/10 07:58 PM

They claim "lightweight" but when the weight of the empty containers totals 12 oz. that doesn't qualify in my book. Maybe for something in the car, but definitely not a backpackable item. Not exactly cheap, either.
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: Gearpods- anyone a fan? - 02/25/10 12:32 AM

Hmmm. I'm with Bob on this one. I've never been a fan of round containers either . The only exceptions I've taken on this has been survival gear inside an empty Nalgene. Interesting, but pricey. Thanks for the unique input and insight as usual, Raven.
Posted by: buckeye

Re: Gearpods- anyone a fan? - 02/28/10 03:22 AM

Agree, I've got at least 6 older Nalgenes around that I'm turning into PSKs as I replace them (slowly) with the newer BPA-Free botttles.

buckeye