Need help lightening my First Aid Kit

Posted by: urbansurvivalist

Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 05:39 PM

I'm planning a thru-hike of the Pacific Crest Trail(2,650 miles from the mexican border to the canadian border), and trying to lighten my pack weight. I have no intention of going 'ultralight', since being prepared and being ultralight are pretty much mutually exclusive, but there is certainly room for me to lighten my load while still being prepared.
Right now I'm trying to lighten my first aid kit, which currently weighs 34oz, over 2 pounds! After my backpack, it's the single heaviest item on my gear list. I've already gone over everything in it and tried to remove the excessive items, but I would like some feedback from others. Just for comparison, the "first aid kit" that most thru-hikers bring consist of a tiny zip-lock with moleskin, a few band aids, and some Tylenol.

My goal is to be prepared for both major and minor medical situations, and have enough supplies so that I don't need to leave the trail or resupply early because I run out of materials to treat a non-severe injury.
My kit is built from scratch using the container from AMK 'weekender' kit. The bag itself is fairly heavy, and I think the easiest way to cut a few ounces is to replace it with a lighter, perhaps sil-nylon bag. However I love the organization of this bag- the layout and the clear plastic pockets are perfect for me. I haven't yet found a lightweight case with similar organization, and I would appreciate any suggestions.

The first thing I would like to do is get a lighter case if I can find a suitable one, then work on trimming down the contents a bit. I'm also seriously considering skipping the First Aid book(5oz). It's a great book and in important item, but it's heavy and I'm pretty skilled in first aid(I've had EMT and recent WFR training).

edit: I've posted some pics, but I can't figure out how to attach the inventory file(pdf). I used the file manager, but its not showing up, can someone tell me how to post the file?

Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 06:15 PM

If it's a pdf, you should be able to copy and paste it.

It's tough to make suggestions without knowing what's on the list, but off the top of my head I'd find the longest part of the trip in which there is no potential to resupply. I'd pick the halfway point in that part and try to determine how long it would take me to get to civilization if something went wrong or rather how long I think it would take in different scenarios.

That's just off the top of my head though. I'll be interested to see what's in your FAK now, and what you end up with.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 06:41 PM

About 25 years back I rode part of the PCT in a group with several pack mules along. I probably wouldn't skimp on First Aid supplies as you are a long way from help if something goes wrong and it's pretty rough country as well.

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 06:52 PM

Here's the inventory, copied and pasted. The original document is laid out in a more compact and organized way:

Dressings & Bandages
1 - 5x9 combine dressing
4 - 4x4 gauze pads
2 - 2x2 gauze pads
2 - 4x4 non-stick gauze dressing
1 - 3x4 non-stick dressing
1 - 3x9 petrolatum gauze
1 - 1x8 Xeroform petrolatum dressing
1 - Spyroflex dressing
1 - 2nd skin burn dressing
1 - large sheet moleskin
1 – package molefoam

1 - 2"gauze roll
2 - 3" gauze roll
1 - 3" elastic bandage
1 – 3½" roll vet wrap

2 - fingertip band aids
5 - knuckle band aids
5 - foam band aids
5 - fabric band aids
2 - waterproof band aids
2 – Medipore pads(gauze band aid)

1 - Steri-Strips ½"x4" 6ea
1 - closure strips ¼"x4" 10ea
2 - benzoin tincture swabs3

1 - flat roll 1" cloth, ½" paper tape
1 - roll duct tape

Topical Meds
6 - benzalkonium chloride wipes
3 - povidone-iodine pads
1 - povidone-iodine swabsticks
6 - alcohol pads
5 - triple antibiotic ointment

6 - lidocaine/BZK/aloe wipes
3 – burn cream w/ lidocaine
1 - benzocaine sting relief pads
2 - After Bite ammonia pads
4 - hydrocortisone cream
2 - Ivy-X ivy cleansing wipes
2 - Ivarest lotion (calamine/benadryl)
2 - blistex
1 - moisturizing lotion
1 - surgilube
2 - celluvisc eye drops
1 - eye wash

1 - Temparin dental filling material2
1 - tea bag (for oral wounds)
1 - Quik-Clot hemostatic agent1

Meds (expiration)
6 - ibuprofen 200mg 2ea (11/07)
1 - aspirin 325mg 2ea (11/09)
1 - acetominophen 325mg 2ea (3/09)
5 - electrolyte tabs 2ea (1/07)
2 - antacid tablets 2ea (3/08)
6 - bismuth subsalicylate (2/06)
6 - diphenhydramine 25mg (3/08)
2 - loretadine 10 mg (11/08)
4 - loperamide HCL 2mg (1/05)
2 - pseudoephedrine 60/diphen 25(11/07)
6 - Milk Thistle extract(2/10)
6 - caffeine 200mg (5/05)
1 - Sugar packet

6 – azithromycin 250mg (5/2010)
10 – ciprofloxacin 500mg (12/09)
11 – Prednisone 10 mg(9/2010)
7 – acetominaphen 300mg/codeine 30mg

Instruments
Trauma shears
forceps
Sterile needle
irrigation syringe
CPR barrier
Venom extractor

Misc
L.E.D. light
magnifying lens
6 - H20 purification tabs
2 - sterile bags
1 - red biohazard bag
4 - safety pins

First Aid Manual
2 - SOAP Notes

P.S. I know many of my meds are expired, no need to remind me of that

[b][/b][u][/u]
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 07:13 PM

I'm no expert but that sounds like pretty good advice to me.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 07:25 PM

I seem to recall the UL FAK is duct tape, some cotton and 4 bandaids... and some people leave out the bandaids.

I think your kit is well provisioned for a worst case scenario. But to be realistic, you can drop some of the meds, some of the specialty bandaids (make do with the ones you keep),the eyewash kit (use water), most of the OTC stuff and all of the "serious burn" items and still be fairly well equipped. I would imagine parts of the trail are close enough to some towns to get resupplied if need be. I will profess a lack of knowledge about this trail (East Coaster) but can't imagine you will be out of cell phone range if something serious happens.

Also, will you be going with someone or solo? You can always break the kit in half and each take some of everything.

Posted by: billvann

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 07:33 PM

Consider using heavy duty ziplocks to relace the case. Perhasp sandwhich bags for the different compenents and then a nylon ditty bag to hold the smaller bags. Not as nicely organized but a lot lighter. I would also organize smeallables in separate bags that can go in your bear container/bag easily.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 07:33 PM

For your container, consider sewing up a light weight bag yourself, copying the features you like.

Go over your contents very carefully and thoughtfully; you are definitely carrying more than is necessary (Spiroflex and 2nd skin?), but you can make the best decisions, since you know your training and skills.

You might consider slimming down the kit when you are in the more "populous" portions of the trail, as opposed to the wilderness stretches. I doubt you need the book - a crib sheet with a few notes should work quite well and I am not sure that even that is necessary.

Improvisation should be your watchword.
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 07:51 PM

Here's my personal opinion of what you can do without, based on my decades of long distance solo backpacking and paramedic experience, by way of editing your list:

Fancy FAK cases and bags are nice, but a ziplock or aloksak bag offers major weight savings.

Consider dual use items: a SAK with scissors and tweezers substitutes for trauma shears and forceps, a foam pad for splints and c-collars, bandanna for triangle bandage, etc.

An ace wrap or duct tape works just as well as roller gauze and medical tape.

Replace some of the larger dressings with a Cederroth Bloodstopper or a military battle dressing.

A baggie with water and an iodine swab, and a pinprick hole, when squeezed irrigates as well as syringe.

You get the idea.

The areas you will be traveling in aren't that wild, harsh or remote. If you are on trail and need help, someone will probably amble by in a day or two, or within hours on the more popular sections.

Good luck and have fun!

1 - 5x9 combine dressing
4 - 4x4 gauze pads
2 - 4x4 non-stick gauze dressing
1 - 3x9 petrolatum gauze
1 - Spyroflex dressing
1 - 2nd skin burn dressing
1 - large sheet moleskin
1 - 3" elastic bandage
1 - 3½" roll vet wrap
2 - fingertip band aids
5 - knuckle band aids
5 - fabric band aids
2 - waterproof band aids
1 - closure strips ¼"x4" 10ea
2 - benzoin tincture swabs3
1 - roll duct tape
3 - povidone-iodine pads
5 - triple antibiotic ointmen
4 - hydrocortisone cream
1 - Temparin dental filling material2
1 - tea bag (for oral wounds)
1 - Quik-Clot hemostatic agent1
6 - ibuprofen 200mg 2ea (11/07)
1 - aspirin 325mg 2ea (11/09
2 - antacid tablets 2ea (3/08)
10- ciprofloxacin 500mg (12/09)
11- Prednisone 10 mg(9/2010)
7 - acetominaphen 300mg/codeine 30mg
4 - safety pins

Posted by: sybert777

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 09:20 PM

Urban, the inventory list showed up as a download on my computer next to the 2nd pic. sounds like you have everything, and organized (not me!!)
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 09:22 PM

My plan looks a lot like Jeff's.

I've got a AMK Backcountry FAK that I've added a number of important items too. I trim the kit WAY down for solo backpacking and store it in an ultralight bag from AMK.

From Jeff's list above I'm still going to substitute duct tape for some of the dressings, moleskin and bandages. They are bulky but I do still pack a SAM splint most of the time. I backpack in AZ and UT quite a bit and sometimes splint material is very hard to come by.

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 09:55 PM

Urban, a tip, of all people, my MOM told me, make or buy an anklet to hold all of your snake bite equipment because instead of trying to rummage through your FAK, it is in the region where you are most likely to be bitten. just a tip, but some good advise, it lessens the weight on your back!

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 10:36 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. So far I'm taking out the first aid book and quik-clot, and possibly th eyewash. That brings me down to 26oz, a significant improvement. For simplicity sake, I may replace all the band-aids with knuckle band aids(the most versatile kind), even though that wouldn't save any weight.

I'll keep looking into a lighter case, and I may take the suggestion to use several zip-lock bags inside of a sil-nylon bag. It would be much less convenient but it would be much lighter than the current case.

I'm definitely not cutting back on any of the blister items, and I may even add more. I almost never get blisters on the trail, but then again I'll be covering more miles each day than I ever have before. I like SAM splints but it would be redundant, I have more than enough supplies to improvise either a rigid or soft splint.

Just to clarify due to a previous comment, much of the trail will not have cell-phone reception, though I don't see how cell reception has any bearing on the contents of the kit. I'm still researching the trail, but I know that much of the beginning goes deep into desert areas, with lots of pointy things, snakes, scorpions, etc. I plan on being very cautious and doubt I will get stung by anything, but I still think its good to be prepared for it.

I will be traveling with a hiking partner, and the FAK will be part of the group gear that we will be splitting up. This partly justifies carrying more quantities of certain items. Even half the weight of the kit is still close to a pound per person, which I'd like to get a bit lower.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 11:20 PM

One of the big questions is - How far are you from "resupply"? Then you have things like 2x2 and 4x4 dressings and the like. Really, do you need both sizes? Can you get rid of some of the dressing types (say petrolatum dressings) and carry some petrolatum? Do you really need an ace bandage AND a roll of vet wrap (maybe)

A lot of items there are redundant/overlapping (mostly), where with a little bit of thought, you could probably remove 3 items, and replace them with 2 - BUT you'd have less overall, which is why I ask "how long till resupply" - Let's say you NEED "X" which overlaps with Y - can you last long enough with 50% more X, and NO Y
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/05/10 11:31 PM

*sharpens the Ka-bar* OK, how would I trim this down...

>2 - 2x2 gauze pads
>1 - 3x4 non-stick dressing
>1 - 3x9 petrolatum gauze
>1 - 1x8 Xeroform petrolatum dressing
Drop. Add some petrolatum.

>1 - large sheet moleskin
>1 – package molefoam
Pick one

>1 - 3" elastic bandage
>1 – 3½" roll vet wrap
Pick one. Drop the 2" roller while you're in there.

>5 - foam band aids
>5 - fabric band aids
>2 - waterproof band aids
>2 – Medipore pads(gauze band aid)
Consolidate. Why so many types? I wouldn't bother with the waterproof bandaids, IMHO, I'll just use a patch of duct tape over it.

>1 - Steri-Strips ½"x4" 6ea
>1 - closure strips ¼"x4" 10ea
Pick one.

>1 - flat roll 1" cloth, ½" paper tape
Drop them. Duct tape.

>1 - povidone-iodine swabsticks
Drop, add a couple of qtips.

>6 - lidocaine/BZK/aloe wipes
>3 – burn cream w/ lidocaine
Consolidate. I'd say dump them, but I'm allergic to liodcaine. :P

>1 - benzocaine sting relief pads
Dump. Afterbite works. I might pull the pads out, and just go with the smallest bottle of it.

>4 - loperamide HCL 2mg (1/05)
>2 - pseudoephedrine 60/diphen 25(11/07)
More please.

>6 - Milk Thistle extract(2/10)
??

>Venom extractor
Is the current trend yeah or nay on these?

>2 - SOAP Notes
Dump. Real soap or hand gel.

Just my opinion.

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/06/10 12:39 AM

My understanding is that venom extractors are bogus. With only routine precautions, your chances of suffering snakebite and scorpion stings is minuscule.
Posted by: Traderjac

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/06/10 02:03 AM

4 ounces of Vodka would replace all of that!!!!!

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/06/10 03:55 AM

Another thing you can do, i dont know if it will save any room or weight but replace all of your bandaids and alcohol pads with a bottle of New-Skin available at walmart. It burns/stings upon application!

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/06/10 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven

>1 - benzocaine sting relief pads
Dump. Afterbite works. I might pull the pads out, and just go with the smallest bottle of it.

Replacing 1 or 2 tiny, single-use packets with even the smallest bottle of liquid would add weight, not reduce it, which is my current goal. This applies to any suggestion for replacing tiny packets with heavier bottles of liquid. Also in my experience most bottles tend to leak or evaporate.

Originally Posted By: ironraven

>2 - SOAP Notes
Dump. Real soap or hand gel.

SOAP notes are blank medical assessment forms used in wilderness medical emergencies, it stands for Subjective, Objective, Assessment, Plan

Milk thistle extract is a powerful herb for protecting and healing the liver from a wide range of toxins, ranging from poisonous mushrooms to alcohol. I do a lot of foraging, and while I'm very careful, I feel better carrying this.

Regarding a previous post, the reason I have things like 2x2s is to reduce the number of 4x4s, which are heavier. If I only have 4x4s, I would use those sometimes when I 2x2 would work, thus I have to carry more overall bandage material and thus more weight.

Okay I took out the 2" gauze roll, eye wash, venom extractor(I know there's not much scientific support for these. I had figured it would help at least a little, but I realize that slight benefit is not worth the weight), and the LED light and tiny roll of duck tape(both redundant, I have a larger roll duck tape in my repair kit). Now I'm down to 24oz, or 1.5 pounds, which is pretty good.

I might ditch the trauma shears(a mini pair by the way), but I'm getting to the point where there's not much more I would take out. I'll post an updated inventory soon.

I appreciate all the constructive comments. It goes against my nature to bring less, not more, but I'm working on that. Having the feedback definitely helps push me in the right direction.
Posted by: Tarzan

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/06/10 04:41 AM

My own backpacking kit consists of a small storebought first aid pouch with some added medications, and a Dutch battle dressing. I carry bandanas and a swiss army knife as well as some minor knowledge of traditional native cures and medicines. Knowledge is the lightest thing you can carry and makes up for having a pharmacy on your back.
Posted by: WILD_WEASEL

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/06/10 07:01 AM

The injuries and illnesses you are most likely to encounter dictate the contents of your hiking medical kit. While not fancy this kit will allow you to effectively treat a variety of issues on the trail. Note, I’ve never found a truly effective treatment for blisters once you have them, other than PREVENTION! Also, I used to carry a Sawyer Extractor but dropped it after reading several articles questioning their effectiveness.

Small spray bottle of rubbing alcohol for feet
3” Ace Wrap
3” Roll of Kling Gauze
X5 1” plasters (cloth)
X3 knuckle plasters (cloth)
X3 fingertip plasters (cloth)
X2 3” plasters (cloth)
Tube of antibiotic ointment
Tube of antifungal cream
X30 ibuprofen
X6 Imodium
X6 Stool softener
Splinter picker tweezers
1 roll of 1” cloth medical tape

While not necessarily part of a medical kit do not forget sunscreen and insect repellant.

Cheers,
W-W
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/07/10 12:13 AM

Short answer - Carry less. Study what other thru hikers carried.

My FAK is on the right side of this photo (not in the packages) I'd modify it for longer hikes - More of the meds.

My hiking survival/ first aid items

cloth tape
1 pad
barrier mask
Tylenol
pepto tabs
chapstick ( spf 30)
alcohol swaps
2 sizes of band aids
the Blue splotch is barrier gloves

The whole thing is carried in a vinyl 5x8 envelope.
Posted by: Lono

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/07/10 03:50 AM

Think situationally - what could happen on your hike up the PCT. Aside from the usual - trots, sunburn, bugs etc (carry appropriate meds and precautions) -

First aid self-administered - blisters, twisted ankle, broken ankle, cuts, scratches. Wraps, duct tape, knuckle bandages, and I like a roll of waterproof tape besides. For blisters I recently used 2nd Skin for the first time, its really good stuff, worth the weight and replaces moleskin. Depending on how far your PCT sections are, carry enough to bandage yourself for that duration, resupply when you use your FAK.

First aid for others - you encounter another hiker, whose heart has stopped. CPR barrier? CPR is next to useless in a wilderness setting. Drop it. Activate your PLB to initiate a SAR body recovery, pitch camp, and pray for his spirit to join the great march to the heavens, which are all around him at that point. Help is coming then.

- you encounter another hiker who has taken a fall down the trail. Bleeding, unconscious, possible head trauma, but breathing. What do you need? More than a 4x4 and alcohol swabs, pack a roll or two of kerlix to wrap her wound(s), treat shock with warmth by putting them in a sleeping bag, etc, hit the button on your PLB and/or go or send for more help.

Are you worried about bee stings and allergic reactions ranging up to anaphalaxis ? I am, at least when I'm hiking with Scouts. I carry a primatene mist inhaler + benadryl to attempt to treat severe anaphalaxis, and any Scout with a confirmed allergy must carry an epipen or better yet a Twinject (two doses), their trail buddy must know where its packed, and how to use it.

And so on like that. Cover what you know you can treat, cover what you might conceivably expect. That should determine your FAK and weight if you ask me. Last I checked I'm currently sitting at ~23 oz for all hikes and outings.

NOLS (nols.edu) puts together some pretty good minimal FAKs and components, you can review and build your own, or buy from them. Everything is a bit of a compromise up a trail on a long hike, but I really like things like their green soap pads and their irrigation syringe (too small according to some, but for cleaning wounds on the trail it works). Steri-strips and the adhesive are the bees knees for gaping wounds, you have the training for those.

A gallon freezer bag really does work, should hold it all.

And in case you haven't got one yet, **don't forget a PLB for when the stuff hits the fan.** This doesn't count as your FAK weight. 10 oz of preparedness right there. If you can't justify the weight, think of all the other crap in your pack that cannot signal for you own or someone else's rescue within 24-36 hours, and toss some of that.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/07/10 07:14 PM

Oh boy, I love FAK threads...
You're worried about weight, yet you have individual blister paks of meds? Take them out and toss them into small baggies (you can "dime bag" size at a regular pharmacy - enough for 4-6 pills).

Ditch the SOAP notes. You're worried about documentation? Really? If you're that worried, write on the patient's forearm or something.

Biohazard bag? You plan on carrying around a full red bag once you've used it? Gauze burns. Blood dries.

I'd drop the purification tabs, simply b/c I've never had problems with a filter or boiling. Not that it saves much weight.

Bye bye CPR barrier. How long do you plan on the blow-blow, pump-pump? Until someone comes upon you, gets out to call a ranger, and they get in to find you? If you have a heart attack on the PCT, you've pretty much come to an end. Sorry, but at least it's a great place to die.

Why another flashlight? I assume you have one already.

Prednisone? Pray, tell. If you have asthma, OK I can see that. Otherwise, what are you trying to do with it?

Caffeine tabs? Again, why? Lighter than coffee or tea? Headaches?

I'd dump the bismuth (liquid) and stick with the pill-form antacids. More doses per weight. Drop the electrolyte tabs. Too much redundancy in the anti-histamine department (Benadryl, loratidine, pseudoephedrine/diphenhydramine). You pretty much just packed 3 antihistamines.

Keep the After-Bite. Add more. Trust me, I've done most of the PCT in California (not at the same time). I'd ditch the eye wash and use water if you need to rinse your eyes. Ditch the surgilube - again, why do you need it? I'd also ditch the benzyl-cholor pads. In fact, I'd probably ditch all of that section, except the Neosporin. Nothing soap and water wont' fix.

Ditch the paper tape, it won't stick well enough to stand the trail. The 3M "plastic" type tape works amazingly well (I've had it stay on for 2 days holding bandages on blisters while hiking) if you feel the need to carry something besides duct.

I'm not a fan of band-aids, but I suppose they're light.

Probably OK on the bandages. I'd fiddle with them to my taste, but you've got a decent variety. I might add another gauze roll though. Non-kerlix type.

HAVE A PHENOMENAL TRIP!!
Posted by: jaywalke

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/08/10 04:47 AM

Here are my cuts. I've done 500 miles of the AT and many more out west, and hiked with Glen van Peski, who's done more than 5,000 miles with a base pack weight under 10 pounds.

Originally Posted By: urbansurvivalist

Dressings & Bandages

4 - 4x4 gauze pads
1 - Spyroflex dressing

1 - 3" Ace bandage

12 - fabric band aids

1 - benzoin tincture swabs3

1 - roll duct tape

3 - benzalkonium chloride wipes
4 - triple antibiotic ointment
2 - lidocaine/BZK/aloe wipes
2 - burn cream w/ lidocaine
1 - benzocaine sting relief pads
1 - After Bite ammonia pads
1 - hydrocortisone cream
lip balm
sunscreen

24 - ibuprofen 200mg 2ea (11/07)
6 - bismuth subsalicylate (2/06)
2 - loperamide HCL 2mg (1/05)

SAK (blade, scissors, tweezers)
Sawyer Extractor with one round tip, in a pint ziploc.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/08/10 01:45 PM

Ok Ok
Here's my 2 Cents.

DROP LIST

Most of the members have addressed the majority of the issues.
I agree fully with the multi use theory

Tape-stick with one

tools-think SAk/multitool

Extractor-bee/scorpion use is still a possiblity

iodine-stick with simple pads-no need for pads and sticks

Ivy anything-stay on the trail and out of the weeds

dressings-think simple, skip 2x2 and fold a 4x4, telfas are nice but are not life and death
-probably one simple vaseline gauze dsg. should suffice

no real need for sting pads......they are ok, but not that spectacular really (personal use verified)

antibiotics-zithro is quite broad spec. think of it as a simple first line med..........you could drop the cipro in theory, if you being tech. about it.......consider Flagyl for (Gi bugs)

steri strips-stick with one medium size

gauze/ace-sorta multi theory here as well......maybe 2-3" and one 3" ace??

-just a few thoughts from years on the trail/in the field and ED/CC and now OR

But Hey, I you wanna go PREPARED, who gives a crap-take as much gear as you feel like totin' !!

Posted by: clearwater

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/08/10 04:26 PM

I see two types of kit here.

First aid, and long term or second aid.

The first aid is for keeping you from dying in the first few hours
of illness/accident.

The second aid is to enable your to keep functioning and in as
near a state of comfort as you wish to be.

A pure first aid kit could leave a lot of that stuff out.
Duct tape, telfa pads, and aspirin can get you a long way.

However, something like an eye infection or a poison oak rash over
much of your body can end your trip for comfort reasons. I like to
keep things in a resupply box that may not be needed the whole trip, adding them when the yellow jackets come out, or I will be
down low enough to get into poison oak etc.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/10/10 01:05 AM

My advise is not to trim to much. I went on a 92 day canoe trip and believe me a good first aid kit was well worth the weight. If you never require it the weight was always to much to carry. When you need it every bit of it is worth a bag of gold coins.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/10/10 02:04 AM

It's easy to say, "All you need to bring is ..." or "You can leave behind ..."

It's also easy to say, "Man I can't believe that guy didn't bring along ..." after reading a headline. Hindsight is always 20/20.

For the extractor, bring the Sawyer Extractor DR recommends here:

http://www.equipped.org/medical.htm#BitesStings

FWIW and YMMV.

All I am qualified to say. Carry on.

EDIT: Just adding some comments, not neccessarily replying to previous poster.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/10/10 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: BruceZed
My advise is not to trim to much. I went on a 92 day canoe trip and believe me a good first aid kit was well worth the weight. If you never require it the weight was always to much to carry. When you need it every bit of it is worth a bag of gold coins.

Bruce:
I think there is a bit of a difference in carrying a big kit in your canoe and carrying on your back. I think a 2-lb is too much for backpacking especially if one can restock once a week. Something in the 4-6 oz might be all he needs. I don't agree though that one of the two hikers should carry the FAK. It should be split rationally so that both have at least a minimal use kit.

urbansurvivalist: There are a few things I would eliminate right off the top. Items should serve dual purposes when you are carrying everything on your back. Toss that white tape in favour of your duct tape in your survival supplies. Teabags can be obtained from your kitchen kit. Bring only as much moleskin as you need - prior experience should tell you if you actually use it, again duct tape can double for moleskin for some people. Trim the meds, bring only what you really find useful and that you respond to. Instruments? have you much experience with the equipment? CPR barrier - how well do you know your hiking partner, you may not really need it. What are you protecting yourself from? smile Venom extractor (even a Sawyer kit which is the best of them) can be deep sixed IMHO.
Separate LED light - should be part of your ordinary gear. Water purification tabs - don't your already have a main method of purifying your water.

In short, trim out the stuff you are already doubling up on with the rest of your kit. Reduce the quantities using your best judgment and then split the kit into 2 for you and your partner.

One thing you could do if you decide to carry a full kit - after your first week or two on the trail reevaluate your entire pack. You may find that you really don't need and/or haven't used a good deal of your kit and pare down. Mail the rest to a buddy or to yourself at home or to a General Delivery address further up your route so that you can grab it later.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/10/10 04:27 AM

Bruce Z..92 days!!..do you have a link to a blog or something about that?.

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/10/10 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
[CPR barrier - how well do you know your hiking partner, you may not really need it. What are you protecting yourself from?

I know that this item is something I will probably never need. However if I ever run across someone who needs CPR(not necessarily my hiking partner), chances are it won't be a pretty sight- I'm talking blood, vomit, etc. I'd hate to have to choose between performing cpr and someone with a messy trauma(possibly to the face), and denying care. I'm not very squeamish, but I remember enough pictures from training that I never want to face that dilemma.

I used to also think that CPR in the backcountry is pointless, and most of the time that's probably true. But apparently(from what I'm told) the exception is when someone is struck by lightning, in which case it is possible to perform CPR and have the patient spontaneously recover. And lightning is a very real possibility in the backcountry, especially near the tops of mountains.

You made some great points, and I've already removed some of those items, and I'm sure I'll make more adjustments to my gear in general on the trail. Again I'll post an updated inventory soon.

While writing this post, I just came up with an interesting idea, that either brilliant or really stupid: I had already decided to skip the sawyer extractor, but it just occurred to me that my water filter is a pump which can produce fairly strong suction! I could just bring along the tips from the sawyer extractor, and by attaching it to the water filter tubing where the prefilter normally goes, I have an instant suction device that is probably at least as strong as the sawyer. I think the tips are the perfect size to fit the tubing, but I'll have to experiment to make sure.

There are 2 drawbacks I see to this:
1- this would require at least 2 hands to use, so may not work for self-aid,
2- because of contamination issues with the water filter, This should probably only be done for a life-threatening snakebite or scorpion bite, and not for more minor insect stings that the sawyer could potentially be used for.

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/10/10 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: urbansurvivalist

There are 2 drawbacks I see to this:
1- this would require at least 2 hands to use, so may not work for self-aid,
2- because of contamination issues with the water filter, This should probably only be done for a life-threatening snakebite or scorpion bite, and not for more minor insect stings that the sawyer could potentially be used for.

There is another drawback. Suction doesn't work (I know that sucks). At least that is my understanding. Case studies show that suction is ineffective. The best course is to remain as immobile as possible and get to an ER (contradictory, I know). Most snakebites are not life-threatening; scorpion stings are even less so - the only fatalities I know of were to very young children.

If you use even minimal precautions (avoid placing your hands and feet in areas you can't see) and you are not deliberately messing with the critters, your chances of being struck by lightning exceed those of being snake bitten.
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/10/10 04:46 PM

Ineffective after 3 minutes smile
Sawyer Extractor Test - ETS Forums
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=142543
Posted by: jrak

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/15/10 03:41 PM

If you hike by yourself and don't pack a signaling mirror, I would suggest carrying one in your first aid pack. I fell near the top of a 14,000 foot peak some time ago and cut my chin. The mirror allowed me to see what I was doing as I cleaned the wound and applied several butterfly bandages. It eventually took 7 sutures to treat the injury and the emergency room physician complimented me on how well I had applied the bandages.

I also find a mirror handy for removing debris from the eye when no one else is available to assist.

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/15/10 05:01 PM

I remember someone doing a survey ow AT through hikers and what they carried. Might be a very useful resource for what is necessary and what works.

TRO

PS PLB? Its great insurance.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/15/10 07:25 PM

Off the top of my head, my FAK is VERY short-but, seeing as it will likely be for nothing more than minor cut repair, it neednt be a trauma kit:

A handful of bandages, regular size, and a few knuckle ones
Some cloth tape
Alcohol wipes
Compression gauze
A few large gauze bandages
Nitrile gloves

All of that fits in a ziplock bag. I also have a small sewing kit & a SAK in there. Thats it. If I break a leg, or twist an ankle, I cannot fix either, and I dont really need to carry items to deal with those things.

You are looking at blisters, small cuts, scrapes, and possibly burns, as your likliest of injuries. Unless you're a medic, you will likely not need 90% of the stuff in a FAK.

I also take some meds too; Advil, and allergy meds, as appropriate. All OTC stuff.

Remember, you are performing FIRST aid-the idea is that you prevent FURTHER damage until you can get to someone who can fix you smile

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/19/10 04:34 PM

Sunscreen / Dug dope

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/19/10 04:55 PM

To return to the OP's question: Just remember that every time you use your FAK, it gets lighter. That, combined with blood and tissue loss can easily result in net savings of 4 oz or even more.

These are significant quantities to an ultralight fanatic, believe me.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/19/10 06:17 PM

Mostly my FAK for short hikes and car camping has amounted to a few handkerchiefs, moleskin, and some OTC meds. Duct tape is already present so no need for any medical tape.

These days I am thinking I might add to that some, but not by all that much. IMO, a normal FAK should fit in a sandwich size zip lock bag. If it does not, then you have too much stuff.

But, that's just my opinion, FWIW, and I am a guy that would bring a thermos of coffee with him on a 2 or 3 hour hike. smile

Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit - 02/19/10 07:31 PM

What you have is pretty good, and will serve you for most situations. What is really important in dealing with first aid situations is knowledge and skills, most particularly the ability to do a decent survey of the victim and extract a decent history. With the exception then of a few items that really should be sterile (and even that can be improvised) everything else depends upon your ingenuity and improvisational ability. coupled with your judicious selection of some multiuse items.

I do feel I would rather use medical tape than duct tape since the adhesive on duct tape is almost too good, but I don't think people are dying from the use of duct tape.....

I think you are right on in putting everything in a sandwich size ziploc, unless you are out for a very long time and very isolated.