Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel

Posted by: bws48

Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/02/10 05:51 PM

I didn’t want to hijack the thread on alcohol stoves, but it spurred me to ask a question I have been wondering about for some time.

I have a Svea 123 stove that is probably older than many of our members. I use and have used Coleman fuel (naptha) exclusively. In theory, it can also use “white gas,” which I understand to be unleaded gasoline.

While unleaded gas is now the norm, around here it is now 10% ethanol. The pumps that dispense it have warnings to “ask inside” before using it in marine engines. (We live near a big boating area.) This causes me to wonder if this stuff can be, or should be, used in a simple gasoline stove like the Svea. I would hate to damage/destroy this stove at this late date.

I understand that in an emergency you would have to make do, and worry about the damage later, but I still would like to know if the 10 gallons of gas I usually keep stored could fuel the stove also if circumstances required it.

A further complication is that my stored gas has also had Sta-bil added to it at twice the normal dose to further extend the life of the gas. This is now an option described on the label.

Any thoughts?
Posted by: philip

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/02/10 06:41 PM

White gas is different in that it has no additives. Unleaded gas does have addititves, and it will soot the bottoms of your pans. shrug - no big deal in a survival situation, but it makes a mess if you're just camping and trying to keep things clean.

I have a bi-fuel camp stove that's made to burn colemant fuel and unleaded gasoline. I have no idea what problems unleaded gasoline would cause in a Svea, if any. If you don't get an answer here, I'd suggest a board for Svea stoves or their support.

Same with Sta-bil. If there's something in your gasoline that would clog the Svea and render it useless in a week, you've got a problem with survival.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/02/10 06:56 PM

As I understand, Coleman fuel (naptha) is White Gas. White gas is basically gasoline with no additives.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/02/10 08:55 PM

I've been told that using unleaded gas can gum up the works on stoves - even those theoretically built to use unleaded gasoline.

I have no direct experience with unleaded gas since I figure its easy enough to just use Coleman fuel.

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/02/10 09:52 PM

I have a Russian copy of one of the Optimus 8R stove that will run on White Gas or unleaded auto gas. Never used it. I figure if I need to use unleaded fuel for some reason, that's the stove I'll use and if it gums up, hopefully the Russians figured out how to loosen the tolerances to make it run anyway.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/02/10 10:06 PM

Well, the manual is quite emphatic that you should only use white gas, NOT gasoline.

http://www.optimusstoves.com/fileadmin/user_upload/optimus/Downloads/Manual_Optimus_Svea.pdf
Posted by: Johno

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/02/10 10:12 PM

Unleaded works fine in my Peak and Sigg. You just need a bit more time cleaning up at the end of your trip. No massive issue.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/02/10 10:39 PM

Love those old Sveas! The valve in mine finally gave up the ghost and I couldn't get parts; too bad.

My old Svea had a sticker on it detailing the acceptable grades of petrol for Europe (pretty sure it was automotive gasoline) but the North American manual said to use white gas. So it seems like a regulatory thing AFAIK.

The only thing in a Svea that can gum up is the wick, and that is user replaceable. If I were counting on a Svea plus car gas, I'd have extra wicks on hand. I'd put a cover on my pot while cooking too, and be extra careful since IIRC car gas has a lower flashpoint than white gas.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/02/10 11:36 PM

the gang at Classic Camp Stoves has hashed this over many times,in the end they think that Colman fuel or naptha of some sort is the only way to go.thats a great site if you use older stoves and they have a link to a place that sells parts..Basecamp,in the UK.
Posted by: RayW

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/03/10 12:58 AM

The reason there are warnings about using gasoline with alcohol in it for a marine engine is that the alcohol will eat its way though the in hull fiberglass boat fuel tanks.

Don't know what it will do to your stove.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/03/10 01:52 AM

In Canada the gasoline additives are even worst in a stove, to the point that Coleman now recommends that Canadian gasoline not be used in there stoves at all.

We had a good discussion on this topic a couple of years ago located here.

Last summer we met a nice British couple in Jasper AB who had no idea that Canadian gasoline would gum up there MSR multifuel stove. They were planning on taking some remote hikes so a functional/trouble free stove was very important to them.

Mike

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/03/10 02:03 AM

Hmm, I hadn't thought about alcohol content. In theory, at least,that could damage/degrade the seals in old stoves. Though I suspect (with minimal evidence) the current levels are not an immediate hazard.

Perhaps it would be better to get a multi-fuel stove that can handle car gas, and feed Coleman fuel to the Svea?

EDIT: thanks, Mike, this is new to me. I need to check up on my old MSR XGK, which has been my backup stove for a long time. I think Colemans would be especially vulnerable to gunk because of the generator tube they use.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/03/10 02:23 AM

Hi Doug,

I have never used an MSR Stove, only Coleman and Primus liquid fuel models so I do not know what Canadian unleaded gas would do to an MSR? The British tourists I met were unwilling to take the chance as they was no option for a replacement in the backcountry.

In an emergency I would use auto gas in my Coleman and just replace the generator if it became clogged, I think that would fix any problem?

Mike

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/03/10 02:31 AM

The MSR WhisperLite Internationale stove's manual says:

"The WhisperLite Internationale™ burns a variety of fuels by using two interchangeable Jets.

1. The IG Jet is used for White Gas and Unleaded Auto Gas. This Jet is preinstalled in your stove.
2. The K Jet is for Kerosene and Diesel. This Jet is included in the parts kit with your stove.
To exchange Jets, see “Cleaning the Jet and Fuel Line.”

Use MSR® SuperFuel™ (White Gas) for optimal performance. It is the highest quality fuel available for your stove. Do not use leaded fuels. Fuels other than MSR SuperFuel lead to rapid stove clogging and require more frequent Jet and Fuel Line cleanings. Also, the use of Unleaded Auto Gas may shorten stove lifespan."

My MSR Dragonfly stove's manual says the same thing, though it refers to the gas jet as the "DG jet" and the Kerosene jet as the "DK jet".

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/03/10 03:31 AM

As you know, the Coleman website has a number of troubleshooting and cleaning suggestions (using denatured alcohol as solvent for lacquer buildup, for example).

But after a certain point, esp. with our local unleaded, I suspect that replacing the generator may be the only option. I have never cut one of those open; there must be a mesh matrix or similar inside there.

MSR stoves are highly field-maintainable. The generator tubes are simple, with a removable cable running through them. The MSR stove FAQ link ( http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/FAQ/Stoves ) suggests using that cable to "scrub" any crud or deposits out of the fuel tube and generator. So I think it unlikely that weird fuel would totally kill one. (My old XGK is long overdue for a new seal kit; last thing I need is a flaming mess due to a gas leak. Gotta get that done.)

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel - 01/03/10 12:59 PM

From the MSR website FAQ:
Quote:
I can't find white gas anywhere; Is Coleman fuel the same thing?
Yes, Coleman fuel is a white gas. We also make a high quality white gas that will reduce clogging (MSR SuperFuel™). Crown and Camplite also make white gas. MSR SuperFuel white gas, Crown Camping Fuel, and Camplite Camping Fuel are available at your local outdoor stores.

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/03/10 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
My old XGK is long overdue for a new seal kit; last thing I need is a flaming mess due to a gas leak. Gotta get that done.

Don't forget to check the o-ring on your fuel bottle too.

I really like my Dragonfly. I need to play with it more so I'm more confident in my own field-breakdown/repair capability. Until then I carry the instructions in a plastic bag and a maintenance kit anytime I take it with me.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/03/10 08:28 PM

I happily pay the (admittedly steep) premium for Superfuel myself. I've run Superfuel and Coleman fuel back to back and the MSR stuff is obviously better.

No affiliation; just a happy MSR customer.

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/03/10 10:39 PM

@KenK:
You're right, it's the O-ring between the pump and fuel bottle that's the most critical. Mine is showing many obvious cracks. If/when it fails, it would pour out pressurized liquid gas a few inches from an ignition source. Yikes. I worry less about the stuff downstream of the main valve, but at this age it needs maintenance.

BTW, when I used to fire up the old XGK in camp, I'd tell my DW that I was going to "fire up the space shuttle." Crazy hot stove, but wow it's loud.

@7point82:
Thanks, I wondered whether Superfuel was just hype. Do you think you get more meals/pots of tea out of a litre of Superfuel compared to ordinary white gas? Just curious.

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/04/10 02:18 AM

Yeah, the Dragonfly inherited its loudness from its big brother (the XGK). A lot of folks complain about it, but I kind of like the sound - not sure why - I just like it.

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/04/10 05:12 AM

I guess (bringing it back to the OP) it reminds me a little of the "purring" sound a happy, well-fired Svea would make. Not as good, but Svea owners know what I mean.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/04/10 06:09 AM

I've heard from what I consider credible sources that the additives in automobile gaz are not good at all on camp stoves. The stove shouldn't give you any problem, but the fumes are (potentially?) very bad for your body. I've never heard of any problems with soothing on the pans using white gaz stoves before.

Where I live, major gaz stations sells something that translates to "environmental white gaz" for use in lawn movers and the like. The stuff is 95 octane "white gaz", but without additives. Much cheaper than coleman or MSR fuel.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/07/10 02:56 AM

Unleaded Gasoline

Our DualFuel™ appliances are made to accommodate automobile fuel. Coleman's modified valving even allows for differences between summer and winter blends. At 1/10 of the cost of propane, unleaded gas is the cheapest of all appliance fuels. And it's available everywhere, of course. In an emergency, you can siphon gas from the tank of your RV or car to use in a DualFuel lantern or stove. Although it's the most economical fuel to use, you'll extend the life of your appliance by using purer Coleman™ Fuel most of the time.
Main advantages: availability and low cost.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/choose_fuel.asp
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/07/10 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

@7point82:
Thanks, I wondered whether Superfuel was just hype. Do you think you get more meals/pots of tea out of a litre of Superfuel compared to ordinary white gas? Just curious.

Doug,
I haven't tested it so I honestly don't know. It's pretty obvious to me after a week or two's use that the Superfuel burns cleaner though.

Agreed on the XGK. Nothing like it to draw some stares from the dedicated car campers at the trailheads. wink
Posted by: Mtnmom5

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/15/10 03:42 AM

I haven't personally used the Svea stove but growing up without electricity , we used Coleman gas lanterns every day and you definitely don't want to burn unleaded gas in those as it ruins the parts... so am assuming the same might work in any other white gas stove or lantern.

Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove - 01/15/10 10:54 PM

@7point82,

My testing gives the superfuel a slight (maybe 10%) advantage in the amount of cooking done, but I buy and use it because it is so much cleaner.

I don't know about my new XGK, but my old one went through many gallons of 80 octane avgas and quite a bit of 100 LL in AK. Lots easier to find when you were flying in (later I used a lot of Jet Fuel too). The avgas was dirty and required more cleaning but worked fine.

Used in my old SVEA, it clogged a lot.

The leaded gas was proscribed because the lead fumes were toxic. Unleaded is not so toxic, but I would still only use it outdoors.

The best,

Jerry