Spyderco knife follow-up

Posted by: Matthew_L

Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/01/10 12:47 PM

A couple of months ago I asked the group for some EDC pocket knife recommendations, In the end I decided to treat myself to something nice and bought a Spyderco Dragonfly.

I was very happy with this very sharp, handy little knife (big enough to be useful but still discreet) until the plastic pocket clip integral with the handle broke off, leaving a sharp stub that I ground down. When contacted Spyderco, their customer service rep first offered to grind down the handle as a fix, but eventually agreed to let me return the knife for a credit.

Since none of the knives with metal pocket clips worked for me in terms of price or style (I don't like liner locks) I ended up going with the even smaller Ladybug model and using the remaining credit to get a couple of non-locking keychain-type knives (one Honeybee and two Bugs, to be specific). Now I must wait for the mail....

All this just to make the point that it is sometimes worth the money to buy quality from a company that stands behind their products. Spyderco did and I thought they deserved a public thank you from me.

Cheers,

Matthew
Posted by: KenK

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/01/10 06:42 PM

Just as an FYI, my own favorite low-cost folding knife is the Ka Bar Dozier Folding Spear ($20).

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=KA4066

I bought them for my two kids (now 13 & 14 years old).

It uses torx-head screws to hold the clip and the thumb stud. I had to move both my lefty son.

Its a great low-cost knife.
Posted by: LED

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 12:47 AM

The Dragonfly is my favorite Spyderco design for EDC use. I know what you mean about the integrated plastic clip, and on some pants the seam is just too wide for it to fit over and stay put. Plus I don't want to break it. I also really like the Ladybug Salt H1 (serrated). Man, that's one tough little bugger and small enough to fit into a PSK.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 01:25 AM

I have had a Spyderco Endura for at least 8 years now, maybe longer. It has lasted very well with no malfunctions or breakages, although the paint has worn off the pocket clip.

I have been quite well satisfied with Spyderco and if I ever manage to wear this blade out I will gladly buy another one.
I am seriously considering buying one of the Doug Ritter designed Benchmade knives too.
When I look at the price over time they are dirt cheap if they stand up as well as my Spyderco has.
Posted by: timo

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 01:38 AM

I'm glad you're happy with your Ladybug but I'm a little surprised. The Ladybug is a tiny knife.

I carried a Dragonfly everyday for at least 4 years. I can't imagine how the clip could break off unless I where climbing and/or rubbing against rough terrain with the possibility of actually snagging the clip. I never had a problem with my Michael Walker lightweight either. But apparently it can and does happen.

I went to the Dragonfly because the Ladybug was simply too small to get a good grip on to do jobs beyond opening envelops and small boxes.

After graduating to the Michael Walker lightweight I finally found a balance of size, grip and cutting power. In every case, after going to a larger knife I found myself wondering why I waited, and struggled for so long thinking I was saving money.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Ladybug. I still have my 20 year old one in one of my emergency kits. It's just that I have small hands (I'm 5'.4") and after I got over the concern for size and apperance of an EDC knife, a large knife was much better suited to many more tasks than the Ladybug could handle.

But I do agree with you about quality. My philosophy is to always consider going one step beyond what you think you need in terms of price, quality and size. If you "under spec." to save money you're going to bump up aginst limitations much sooner, and possibly at a really bad time.

My only problem now is the really freaking nice looking G10 handled version of the Dragonfly. I feel my wallet growing lighter as I type.
Happy New Year and Happy cutting with your Ladybug!
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 02:15 AM

Just ordered my first Spyderco, the Spyderco C08S Harpy.

I plan to carry it with a second thin knife yet to be determined... one that has NO serrations. I find myself needing a smooth blade, and also a completely serrated one. I was unfortunately not able to find a double sided folder that did both frown thus the two THIN knives. Maybe you guys have ideas?

-Todd

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 04:27 AM

I have not invoked Spyderco's warranty; mostly, I have been quite happy with their product.

I have a "Delica Clipit" that is at least 15 years old and is still going strong. The blade is pretty heavily worn, and I tapped a screw through the clip to increase its gripping power, but it keeps on trucking.

I also have a nice, thin Endura (IIRC) synthetic handle that has been in my pocket for a large number of backcountry trips. Thin, light, razor sharp. Love it.

There's a Ladybug (I think) on my keychain. Great little sharp for day-to-day cuts, and doesn't freak out the folks around you.

My major beef with some of the Spydercos is that the backspring is too weak in some of them. If you're cutting rope or boxes, who cares; but if you're using a hammer grip to carve wood, the backspring will stick up under pressure and give you a nasty cut/blister between your thumb and forefinger. Grr! I have taken a diamond file and rounded off those nasty protrusions on two Spydercos, built decades apart. Argh!

I like the current design, which adds a steel reinforcement to the synthetic handles. I never entirely trusted the Spyderco clan for serious abuse until they did this.

BTW, I scored two Byrd Cara Caras for a great price just before the midnight cutoff (end of year sale). They're not officially Spydercos, but I have a hard time telling the difference. Thin, light, sharp, with more reserve strength and a great pocket clip. Love 'em!
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 05:12 AM

[quote=KenK]Just as an FYI, my own favorite low-cost folding knife is the Ka Bar Dozier Folding Spear ($20).

Yes, three cheers for the ka bar dozier's. I own the spyderco delica and the tenacious, but I much prefer the several dozier's I have. Great value. and easy to switch over the thumb stud and clip for my use, as I'm a lefty.
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 08:22 AM

Anyone got experience of the Spyderco UK legal? As far as I knows it's the only 'locking' blade I can carry in England>
The Sock
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: TheSock
Anyone got experience of the Spyderco UK legal? As far as I knows it's the only 'locking' blade I can carry in England>
The Sock

Yes, being U.K resident. Don't. It's overpriced rubbish that will close on your fingers. The so called halfway stop is only minimally effective. Detent is not deep enough. It should require at least twice as much force to close. It's only good point is that you can open it one handed. I've binned it in faviour of either a SwissChamp or a SAK Farmer.

If you want a gentlemans pocket knife, may I suggest Case knives?

http://www.heinnie.com/v9pXsa969889/Knives/Case/c-1-92-716/
Posted by: raptor

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd W
I find myself needing a smooth blade, and also a completely serrated one. I was unfortunately not able to find a double sided folder that did both frown thus the two THIN knives. Maybe you guys have ideas?

What about SOG Bi-Polar (Serrated) BP-3? It has two blades - one plain and one fully serrated. Plus it has glass breaker.
http://sogknives.com/store/BP-3.html
I donīt own this knife so I canīt say if itīs good but itīs on my I-might-buy-this-in-the-future list.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: raptor
Originally Posted By: Todd W
I find myself needing a smooth blade, and also a completely serrated one. I was unfortunately not able to find a double sided folder that did both frown thus the two THIN knives. Maybe you guys have ideas?

What about SOG Bi-Polar (Serrated) BP-3? It has two blades - one plain and one fully serrated. Plus it has glass breaker.
http://sogknives.com/store/BP-3.html
I donīt own this knife so I canīt say if itīs good but itīs on my I-might-buy-this-in-the-future list.

Good call raptor man!

http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Knives-B...5618&sr=8-1

Only downfall is no pocket clip! I wonder if one can be adapted.
Posted by: raptor

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 06:06 PM

Yeah, itīs a pity it doesnīt have a pocket clip. Anyway wouldnīt this knife be too heavy for ED pocket Carry? I, myself, tend to prefer thin and light knives when it comes to pocket carry and would consider this blade as a backup carried in the backpack etc. but a lot of people donīt mind the weight.

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 10:55 PM

Thanks, all, for the comments. I don't yet have my replaced knives as my mail situation is complicated, but I am looking forward to getting them.

The clip on my Spyderco Dragonfly (the FRN model, a plastic clip integral with the scale) broke off while it was in my pants pocket clipped to the edge of my pocket. I was lifting and bending and moving things and I never found the broken clip, just found the knife in the bottom of my pocket with a jagged stub. This was unusual behavior for me, as my work days are suit and tie, so the knife was only lightly used.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any alternative Spyderco models in the same price range or less as I prefer a traditional lockback and not a liner lock. I realize the Ladybug is small, but I am hoping that the serrated edge will nonetheless be handy. I'll likely put a Bug on my keychain as my work knife (even the Dragonfly got some surprised looks from coworkers) and drop the Ladybug in my pocket on weekends.

Cheers,

Matthew
Posted by: ratbert42

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/02/10 11:09 PM

I have an original Endura and Delica, both with the plastic clips. They're almost 15 years old now and have held up pretty well. I probably carried each of them for at least a year's worth of days without breaking the clips. (Of course, the newer models are metal clips.)

Now I carry the Spyderco Caly 3, plain-edge with G-10 scales. It's a bit expensive (I paid $75 a few years ago), but it's an awesome knife. With more of a flat grind than the saber grind of the Delica and a little "convex edge" sharpening work, it push-cuts better than anything I've ever owned except maybe fresh razor or X-Acto blades. The wire pocket clip worried me at first, but it really doesn't feel or look as cheap as I thought it might. I really like how low it hangs, especially since I usually carry it inside my waistband instead of a pocket.

I should mention that I stopped carrying clip knives clipped onto pockets several years ago. The clips were always catching on things. Now I usually carry inside the waistband of my pants, with the clip underneath my belt. Very little of the knife is visible and it's almost impossible to snag the clip on anything. It's also been a lot easier on my pants - I was wearing out the corner of all the pockets. If I'm actively working on something where I might need my knife quickly, I just move it to the pocket then.
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/03/10 08:25 AM

Sorry to hear the 'uk legal' spyderco isn't up to scratch. So is there any way to carry a locking one handed opening knife in the UK?
The Sock
Posted by: comms

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/04/10 08:39 PM

I'm with Ratbert, I've had my Endura at least 15 years and the plastic clip, the whole knife is still top notch. I don't think I've even sharpened it in a decade its still one of the sharpest knives I own.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/05/10 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: TheSock
Sorry to hear the 'uk legal' spyderco isn't up to scratch. So is there any way to carry a locking one handed opening knife in the UK?
The Sock

Well, you can carry anything if you can justify good reason - but as routine edc then no. I find the Byrd wings slipit works fine though for a lot of jobs, or there are friction folders like the Svord peasant - get the friction tang under your hand and its not going anywhere

Re: Spyderco knife follow-up - 01/05/10 12:23 PM

I was about to say, "I remember a kind of non-locking folding knife from the Ragweed Forge," but it appears to be the same Svord peasant knife mentioned by bigreddog.

http://ragweedforge.com/HistoricalKnifeCatalog.html#svord