Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 01:45 AM

SPOT LLC has issued what they are calling a "Voluntary Return Program" for their recently released second generation SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger which even they are now referring to as "SPOT 2." If you own a second generation SPOT, you need to check and see if your unit is affected, in which case you'll exchange your SPOT 2 for a new unit, which isn't expected until "early next year." Get the details on Equipped To Survive:

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=172

Please spread the word.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 02:37 AM

Yikes.

Not something good to be recalled.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 12:57 PM

And in other news, the Acme Heart Valve Company has announced a recall of all their heart valves installed over the last 10 years. Once you remove your Acme valves and return them to the company, replacement is expected within 90 days...!
Posted by: KenK

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd W

Still, its nice to know that the company is taking the hit for bad batteries to make sure things are right.

If its anything like the automotive industry, the battery supplier is most likely paying for the whole recall, though as you suggest, the company's image does take a hit.

Their excitement to get the new version of Spot out probably should have tempered by more thorough validation testing.

Ken
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 02:13 PM

There is a lesson in here somewhere.

Use and embrace technology. Don't, however, totally depend upon it and be able to use more fundamental, less high tech alternatives.

It reminds me of the early days of GPS (1992 or thereabouts) when users got a notice that the system would be down for about a five day period around the holidays. Santa had to fall back on LORAN that Xmas.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 02:19 PM

"...in which case you'll exchange your SPOT 2 for a new unit, which isn't expected until "early next year.""

I hope no one bought one of the affected SPOT 2 units hoping to use it right away. Yikes.

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
Originally Posted By: Todd W

Still, its nice to know that the company is taking the hit for bad batteries to make sure things are right.

If its anything like the automotive industry, the battery supplier is most likely paying for the whole recall, though as you suggest, the company's image does take a hit.

Their excitement to get the new version of Spot out probably should have tempered by more thorough validation testing.

Ken

This has nothing to do with the batteries themselves. It appears to have to do with the sensing circuitry that determines the level of charge remaining in the batteries, which are off the shelf Energizer AAA lithium cells you can buy anywhere.

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
"...in which case you'll exchange your SPOT 2 for a new unit, which isn't expected until "early next year.""

I hope no one bought one of the affected SPOT 2 units hoping to use it right away. Yikes.

What SPOT did not make very clear at all is that the unit works fine, it just appears to be running out of battery too quickly if you have an affected unit, but in fact will work fine for the normal period. Of course, that could get you in big trouble since that run time is variable depending on a variety of factors. You depend on that flashing red LED to tell you it's time to change the batteries or to reserve the remaining battery for a possible SOS.
Posted by: celler

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 04:58 PM

It sounds like you might be ok to keep using the unit for a while so long as you are aware that the low battery signal will come on early. Maybe carrying an extra set of batteries and a small battery tester would be prudent if you want to keep your Spot 2 until the new units are available.

Me, I'm going to stick with my ACR MicroFix. YMMV.
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/15/09 09:43 PM

FWIW, my understanding is it is pretty hard to determine capacity on lithium batteries due to their discharge curve. It only drops very slightly from new until the very end and then it just totally falls off. Factor in batch to batch variances, and it seems like it would be hard to do it reasonably.

Can the batteries be user-replaced in the field on these units?

-john
Posted by: elgecko

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/16/09 02:39 AM

I have had the original SPOT for close to a year now and extremely happy with the performance.

I thought about upgrading, good thing I do not do most things very quickly.... Just not sure I need to anyway. All most all my messages are sent, even under what I would call thick cover. The newer one; what I understand has a better GPS receiver. I never use my SPOT for tracking, that's what my Garmin is for, so if my messages go out to let the family know I'm OK, not sure I need to upgrade......

JohnN,
I' pretty sure the second one is like the first, which you are able to change the batteries in the field.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/17/09 02:49 PM

Doug

Thanks for posting. I was going to go down and buy a SPOT2. Esp. after the most recent tragedy on Mt Hood, I had decided to carry a locating device regularly when outdoors.

Looks like I'll wait until they release the improved version of the equipment.

other Pete
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Second Generation SPOT 2 Recall Announced - 12/17/09 07:07 PM

A pulse-load battery tester is the only reliable way to really know how much capacity is left. They work well for lithium batteries.

The SPOT has AA batteries that can be replaced in the field.