Snow Shoes

Posted by: Adventureboy

Snow Shoes - 11/24/09 08:58 PM

Hey Y'all
I am hoping to take a 4 day 3 nite expedition later this year or early next and am looking for some snow shoes. I am not looking for a free ride but would like something in the 50$ or less range confused maybe ???? and this is probably obvious but..... they can be used. They need to fit a 10.5 hunting boot for a 5'6" person (i.e. Me). If anyone can help I would be most greatful. The purpose of this trip is to practice survival in the snow near the mogillon rim. Advice would also be appreciated. Also anyone want to join me we can possibly make arrangements for that (PM me).

Adventureboy
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/24/09 10:19 PM

A big advantage of renting that kind of gear is that you can try out different types and find out what works best for you. If you later decide to buy your own then you know what to look for.

If you do this only once a year then you're probably better off renting the snow shoes than buying a brand new one.

Also, there is usually lots of used equipment for sale if you just look for it.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/24/09 11:41 PM

You could start asking on Craigslist and Kijiji. You might be surprised.

Where is your trip, and what kind of conditions do you expect? The type of snow makes a big difference in the snowshoe you need.

In your planning, keep in mind that your M.P.H. will be considerably less than a hike on a trail. Snowshoeing is hard work, especially in powder. And if there's a freeze-thaw cycle, you get a horror known as "breakable crust" that will drive you insane.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/25/09 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

In your planning, keep in mind that your M.P.H. will be considerably less than a hike on a trail. Snowshoeing is hard work, especially in powder. And if there's a freeze-thaw cycle, you get a horror known as "breakable crust" that will drive you insane.

YES!!!
Posted by: dweste

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/25/09 03:38 AM

Your weight is critical to a good fit.

I would strongly suggest at least 1 day trip and 1 overnight to get used to conditions and gear before doing any multi-day winter expedition. Many practical lessons will make themselves clear.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/25/09 04:18 PM

+1 rental. Check your local outdoors store or college.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/26/09 12:59 AM

OK. I am too far away from you to lend a pair of raquettes.
I have sometimes seen workable pairs in Surplus stores.
I have seen lots of pairs for sale used too. The biggest problem for me is getting them big enough.

The best ones I found in army surplus were made with magnesium frames in an Algonquin pattern. Coated steel cable was used to weave the decks.
The long tails counterbalance the deck and drag easily through the snow when you take a step. They are very effective at keeping the shoes in line.

I still like the patterns with long tails better than bearpaw patterns, but that is up to you and depends on terrain.
Most of the modern styles are more like the beavertail patterns. and the back of the frames drag a bit harder than the Algonquin styles.

Get either the neoprene or the plastic decked snowshoes if you can though.
They are lighter than the babiche decks and even more importantly they don't load up as badly from snow sifting up through them.
The fact that they don't need waterproofing or go loose and flabby when damp is a good thing too.

Remember to try them for a mile before committing to a long solitary trip. People are usually surprised at how much work lifting a snowshoe with every step you take is.

It is that lifting of your feet which makes skis easier to use for travel even though skis are not as easy to do work from.

Some things about skis to consider.
The biggest problem with skis is still the binding/boot system.
With snowshoes the binding is simple and almost any low heeled boot can work. (shoepacks or mukluks are very good)
Most skis require expensive mechanical traps and special boots to work right.
You might be able to find old skis with bindings that accept hiking or work boots but those bindings tend to increase the risk of sprain injuries to knees and ankles. (even fractures)
They are usually not stiff enough for good control going downhill either.
What you might look for are X-country/backcountry/telemark.
You will be after something that is a blend of them.X-country are usually too light and telemark are usually too heavy.
There are tons of second hand skis available. Sometimes the outfitters like MEC or REI have good deals on traded pairs in their stores. I know MEC has an online swap/sell service

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/26/09 08:15 AM

Originally Posted By: scafool

It is that lifting of your feet which makes skis easier to use for travel even though skis are not as easy to do work from.

Yes... and exactly why I haven't done much snow shoeing. I've tried and I enjoy it, but it is just too boring compared with skiing. I haven't that many skiing oportunities, why should I waste them doing stomp-lift-stomp-lift... ?

You might be able to find old skis with bindings that accept hiking or work boots but those bindings tend to increase the risk of sprain injuries to knees and ankles. (even fractures)
They are usually not stiff enough for good control going downhill either.

Forget about them, they are so inferior to dedicated skiing boots that you don't really want to know. It's like comparing one of these:

with a modern offroad bike.

What you might look for are X-country/backcountry/telemark.
You will be after something that is a blend of them.X-country are usually too light and telemark are usually too heavy.

+1.

Choosing skis more or less boils down to these criteria:
- The width of the ski
- The flexibility versus "spring" of the ski (How hard does it bounce back when you bend it out of sh
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/26/09 10:15 PM

a couple things..i have a pair of snowshoes i got in Canada some twenty or so years ago,they have a webbing made from yellow plastic rope and seem to work very well.they have not worn out very much and snow does not stick to the web as much as my wife's rawhide ones,which she replaced with the new kind with the flat plastic bottoms and big metal gripper.i always take a ski pole when i snowshoe in wooded areas for balance when crossing fallen trees or working up and down hills..and..snowshoes were made so people could work in the winter on trap lines or cutting wood.how they became a "sport" item is beyond me,unless your in deep snow or in the brush skis are much better for winter travel and i think that a short-wide ski is now made which work much better that either for winter hiking.
Posted by: UpstateTom

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/27/09 12:15 AM

Do any of you carry snowshoes in your car for work or emergencies? Would there be any point to it for someone without much or any experience?

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/27/09 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: UpstateTom
Do any of you carry snowshoes in your car for work or emergencies? Would there be any point to it for someone without much or any experience?

Snowshoes requires little to no experience, IMO. Put them on, then walk. If you can walk you know how to snow shoe. Use 'em long enough and you'll get better. That's all there really is to it.

But prior to stuffing them in your car, make sure you know how the binding is supposed to work! Not all bindings are self evident. Sometimes it is amazing how something that simple can be that hard to figure out . . .

I don't have any in my car. We have absolutely no need for them in our every day routine (I live in a city). They would be beneficial in remote areas, but we usually only travel into remote areas to go skiing anyway... Also, any major road is (supposedly) cleared of snow - I would just walk on the road. Much easier.

If you travel in remote areas with lots of snow and no skis, then yes, I would absolutely recommend some snow shoes.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/27/09 05:26 PM

Snowshoes excel at rough country, deeper snow, and winter camping / working situations and are a natural compliment to cross-country or mountaineering skiis which offer faster travel if conditions allow.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/27/09 09:58 PM

I carry snowshoes in my snowmobile kit, and my snowmobile is in the back of my work truck, so I guess I have access to them.

Mike
Posted by: scafool

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/28/09 04:34 AM

For me the snowshoes only go along if I expect to be using them.
They are too bulky to leave in a car trunk full time and disappear too easily out of a pickup box.
Skis have the same problems.
Posted by: UpstateTom

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/28/09 05:47 AM

Thanks! I won't worry about them for any routine kit, but will probably pick up a pair to have in case I end up doing field work in the snow. I hadn't considered it before because I figured they were difficult to use.
Posted by: raven397

Re: Snow Shoes - 11/30/09 01:03 AM

A great site for finding stuff on Craigslist is www.craigshelper.com you put in your zip code, a distance, and a search term. the site then checks every Craigslist within that distance, and returns your items. it's a great time saver.

also, check out REI stores for their returns dept, lots of virtually new stuff cheap. some people abuse REI by buying stuff, using it on one trip, then returning it for a full refund.